***TEXANS 2017 OFF SEASON***

230,790 Views | 2518 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TrillOBrien
LilSebastian13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I wouldn't hate him or trading up early in the second for Kizer if he makes it out of the first.
AgsMyDude
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Welker was at Mahomes' pro day

Thanks. I wasn't aware of this and the wording of was odd.
Max Power
AG
bilbobag said:

Basically have two cans to kick, QB and OL, which one will they kick down the road and which one will they take risk on? Million dollar question.. At this point if me, QB if the player is there you want but I wouldn't trade up.

Of course the two spots of need are weak in this draft. Go figure
This is a really nice defensive draft. If there's no QB or OL worth it at 25 and we don't move up better to take best prospect available. Happens every year, highly touted prospects projected to go much earlier are still there at the end of the first and into the second. Rather take another defensive contributor than waste the pick. Hell take a WR by surprise. Maybe Will Fuller could use some competition to convince him to make some catches.
Ryan34
AG
You lost me with WR. We have 2 first rounders and 2 third rounders already. No way we should use another pick on a WR.
TrillOBrien
AG
Max Power said:

bilbobag said:

Basically have two cans to kick, QB and OL, which one will they kick down the road and which one will they take risk on? Million dollar question.. At this point if me, QB if the player is there you want but I wouldn't trade up.

Of course the two spots of need are weak in this draft. Go figure
This is a really nice defensive draft. If there's no QB or OL worth it at 25 and we don't move up better to take best prospect available. Happens every year, highly touted prospects projected to go much earlier are still there at the end of the first and into the second. Rather take another defensive contributor than waste the pick. Hell take a WR by surprise. Maybe Will Fuller could use some competition to convince him to make some catches.
No way in hell we take a WR with our first pick. If no OL or QB is worth #25, I see Smith going ILB, CB, or safety
bilbobag
Thoughts on Cal's Davis Webb..
Buck Compton
AG
bilbobag said:

The guy who lost his job to Mahomes? In what round??
Ryan34
AG
bilbobag said:

He's tall and has a really good arm. And couldn't beat out Mahomes.
lunchbox
bilbobag said:

Like him (not necessarily for the Texans) in the 2nd...but I think he'll go very late in the 1st so he is eligible for the 5th yr option.
Buck Compton
AG
lunchbox said:

bilbobag said:

Like him (not necessarily for the Texans) in the 2nd...but I think he'll go very late in the 1st so he is eligible for the 5th yr option.
You think there's 5 QBs taken in the first round???

He's pretty much solidified behind Mahomes, Kizer, Trubisky, and Watson. But doubt he jumps more that one of those. At that point take an OL because the other teams are crazy.
Joe West is a fat piece of **** and a waste of oxygen.
lunchbox
Buck Compton said:

lunchbox said:

bilbobag said:

You think there's 5 QBs taken in the first round???

He's pretty much solidified behind Mahomes, Kizer, Trubisky, and Watson. But doubt he jumps more that one of those. At that point take an OL because the other teams are crazy.
I don't think Kizer goes in the 1st...and I wasn't saying the Texans would take him.

I'm thinking it is more likely the Saints take him at 32...or someone trades up a few spots to take him at 32...again, just for the 5th year option.
Farmer1906
AG
bilbobag said:

No thank you. I would much prefer Kizer in the first or Peterman in the 2nd over him. Both drafted earlier than projected.
MelvinUdall
LZ said that he learned this evening that the Texans aren't planning on taking a QB in round 1. One of two things here are happening, they aren't taking a QB in round 1, or it is a smokescreen. IMO, I am OK if they don't draft a QB in round one, I am not sold on these QB's as first round type prospects. My guess, whether it is Watson or Mahomes, they at a minimum a 1 if not 2 year project. If the Texans are looking at a project for a QB and not a day one starter then I would pass and pick one up in round 2 or later.

Just my $.02.
Buck Compton
AG
nhayden said:

LZ said that he learned this evening that the Texans aren't planning on taking a QB in round 1. One of two things here are happening, they aren't taking a QB in round 1, or it is a smokescreen. IMO, I am OK if they don't draft a QB in round one, I am not sold on these QB's as first round type prospects. My guess, whether it is Watson or Mahomes, they at a minimum a 1 if not 2 year project. If the Texans are looking at a project for a QB and not a day one starter then I would pass and pick one up in round 2 or later.

Just my $.02.
Lance isn't learning any new info the day before the draft.
maca1028
My level of apathy for this organization would reach new heights if Watson and/or Mahomes are on the board and they pass on them.
MelvinUdall
Just telling you what I read.
MelvinUdall
maca1028 said:

My level of apathy for this organization would reach new heights if Watson and/or Mahomes are on the board and they pass on them.

Do you believe they are starters day one or even half way through the season?
ac04
neither are imo, but if i was a texans fan i would also be frustrated if they don't go QB very early. they have to address it.
MelvinUdall
ac04 said:

neither are imo, but if i was a texans fan i would also be frustrated if they don't go QB very early. they have to address it.

Oh I don't disagree, I am just not sure that if I had a higher rated player sitting there that can help immediately that I wouldn't rather grab them then one of those two QB's.
CFTXAG10
AG
Mike Mayock put his mock out tonight. He has Watson.
maca1028
Maybe not, but I do see Watson having Mariotta type potential...hopefully without the injuries of course, and if he is available at 25 I think that's can't miss position of need.
bilbobag
LZ is saying that because he believes all three will be gone before the Texans pick. That would be worse case scenario for the Texans to not have a choice and if did play out like that, I would trade out.
CoachRTM
AG
I'm higher on Davis Webb than it appears most on here are, but most of that is projecting out his future. By all accounts he's a smart kid, great teammate and and has a lot of the skills you can't teach. His accuracy worries me at the NFL level, and he lacks consistency on a rep to rep basis.

But if you project 3-5 years out, you can absolutely see a starting caliber above average NFL quarterback if he has the work ethic in him.

That being said, I think he would really struggle in year one of he was rushed into the starting lineup, and if I'm the Texans, I'm trying to go all-in during JJ's prime years. Betting on a QB 3 years away seems counter-intuitive for me from a big-picture view point.

Just my two cents
shano0603
AG
bilbobag said:

LZ is saying that because he believes all three will be gone before the Texans pick. That would be worse case scenario for the Texans to not have a choice and if did play out like that, I would trade out.

It seems as if all the QBs will be gone before we pick or all the OL will... I think you go either way.... now if all the QBs and the top OL are gone........ it's trade down or cry
AgsMyDude
AG
maca1028 said:

I'd get my pitchfork out if the shed and start dousing in gasoline to prepare for the March to Rick's
OPAG
AG
Just because you have a need does not mean you should go out and draft someone high and some how hope that drafting them high makes them better than they really are because you a have need and are drafting someone high to prove to a fan base that you are trying to address the need. This is like really dumb.

MelvinUdall
OPAG said:

Just because you have a need does not mean you should go out and draft someone high and some how hope that drafting them high makes them better than they really are because you a have need and are drafting someone high to prove to a fan base that you are trying to address the need. This is like really dumb.

This times 1,000,000. They should not be drafting a QB in the first if they aren't sold as him being a 1st round QB. I am in 100% agreement that this organization needs a splash at QB, but not at the expense at reaching to appease the QB.
Ag_07
AG
If they choose not to draft a QB in the 1st then they better be planning on trading up in the 2nd. Think that's important. While they may not have a guy pegged as a 1st round pick knowing that he won't be there in the 2nd and likely costing them picks to move up may convince them to take him.

If they don't draft a QB in the 1st because they're all off the board then some good players will have fallen and they'll have a few different routes they could go.
Farmer1906
AG
Ultimately this team will never be great unless we have better QB play. Just because we can't draft a perfect prospect like Andrew Luck at 25 this year it doesn't mean we shouldn't draft a QB. We need to keep taking swings until we finally hit something. We've been without a QB since the 2-14 season. We signed retreads, drafted QB late, and only took one real shot with Brock. It shouldn't have taken so long. We either need to draft a QB early or trade for Jimmy. Anything else is basically conceding the next year, possibly two.
AgsMyDude
AG
Watson or Mahomes wouldn't be a reach @ 25 IMO. it would be filling a glaring need where the value is still pretty high. Both of those guys have great potential.
Mr.Bond
AG
**** give me TJ Watt
Mr.Bond
AG
HEB would cream in their pants
rbcs_2
AG
This should be a defense heavy 1st round. I could see Trubisky being the only high QB taken. If both Watson and Mahomes are there at #25 then the Texans will have a decision. I think Watson has less potential, but is more ready of the two. Of course, they could just stick to the draft board and take best available, but QB is that one exception to that philosophy.
chjoak
AG
I don't like any QBs in the 1st round this year. I see value in some of the guys that are projected to the 1st but would feel way more comfortable taking them in the 2nd. If a top tackle is gone by our pick, I would prefer to take a Safety (Melifonwu) or LB (Watt, Cunningham) that has a chance to start immediately. Then we can trade up if necessary to snag a QB (Kizer, one of the others that inevidibly falls) in the 2nd.
rbcs_2
AG
I tend to agree with you on QB, but I also don't think there is a 1st round OL talent in this draft.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.