***TEXANS 2017 OFF SEASON***

230,824 Views | 2518 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by TrillOBrien
ac
How long do you want to ignore this user?
nhayden said:

So flipping around the local sports talk shows I. Houston and 790 was the one that I listened to just a few minutes ago and I had to listen to Sean Jones all but call Bob McNair racist. Essentially McNair had a matrix in his mind what a QB should be and basically black was not one of them and that he just finally gave up and decided that to go for it, regardless of the color of his skin. I realized quickly why I don't listen to that show and how embarrassed I was for Sean to make such an asinine comment.
Absolutely no substance to that theory. Tony Banks, the Texans backup QB from 2002-2005 was black.
LilSebastian13
AG
Sean likes to make everything as controversial as possible. And is one of two reasons I don't listen to his show. Could 790 had come up with a worse pair?
MelvinUdall
He said Banks was half white so it didn't count. I am sure he has encountered racism in his time, I just simply don't buy into the theory that McNair didn't draft a black QB because he was black. Like I said, it was embarrassing and Clanton and Brian Smith were laughing in the background.
MelvinUdall
LilSebastian13 said:

Sean likes to make everything as controversial as possible. And is one of two reasons I don't listen to his show. Could 790 had come up with a worse pair?

That has to be the worse show on the radio. You have Clinton that essentially is a Debbie Downer on all things Houston sports, he is just hard to listen to.
Ryan34
AG
nhayden said:

Ryan34 said:

I think the ideal would be a guy who can be groomed to take over at LT in a few years because Duane Brown is nearing the end of his rope. Just not sure who fits that description because those guys tend to go really early.

One thing is for sure that not having a draft pick in round 1 and 2 next year will keep the Texans for looking for a LT in next years draft. My guess is 2019 for sure.
A lot of time between now and then. The Texans have 2 fourth rounders this year, so they have some flexibility to pull off some trades, either to move up this year or acquire picks for next year.
rbcs_2
AG
McNair isn't a racist. That's just so dumb. Rick Smith is basically his adopted son.
MelvinUdall
Ryan34 said:

nhayden said:

Ryan34 said:

I think the ideal would be a guy who can be groomed to take over at LT in a few years because Duane Brown is nearing the end of his rope. Just not sure who fits that description because those guys tend to go really early.

One thing is for sure that not having a draft pick in round 1 and 2 next year will keep the Texans for looking for a LT in next years draft. My guess is 2019 for sure.
A lot of time between now and then. The Texans have 2 fourth rounders this year, so they have some flexibility to pull off some trades, either to move up this year or acquire picks for next year.

That's fair.
MelvinUdall
rbcs_2 said:

McNair isn't a racist. That's just so dumb. Rick Smith is basically his adopted son.

I don't disagree, the problem with someone like Sean Jones and others they will simply say that Smith has the job to look like he cares about hiring qualified black people. It will never be enough, never, and is sad at the end of the day.
AgsMyDude
AG
Never listened to that show and now I definitely won't be.
MelvinUdall
Is it just me or does Chris Mortensen look like absolute garbage, did he have a health scare recently?
AgsMyDude
AG
Throat cancer
MelvinUdall
Hennessy11 said:

Throat cancer

Ah OK, man he has to be almost finished, he just doesn't look good at all.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Yeah you all must've forgotten that we got the 4th round pick from Cleveland in the Brock deal. You're all saying that we gave up the 2nd rounder and didn't get anything in return (about 50 posts ago so didn't want to quote it).
. . .
MelvinUdall
At least it is not 8.
MelvinUdall
What are the thoughts on this board if the Texans are sitting there in the 5th or 6th and Mixon is on the board, would you pull the trigger? I am inclined to take him if his running ability and measures led fit what you like as an organization.
ac04
i expect mixon to go in the 2nd. 3rd at the latest
pagerman @ work
AG
nhayden said:

So flipping around the local sports talk shows I. Houston and 790 was the one that I listened to just a few minutes ago and I had to listen to Sean Jones all but call Bob McNair racist. Essentially McNair had a matrix in his mind what a QB should be and basically black was not one of them and that he just finally gave up and decided that to go for it, regardless of the color of his skin. I realized quickly why I don't listen to that show and how embarrassed I was for Sean to make such an asinine comment.
So not drafting a black QB is evidence/proof of racism.

And drafting a black QB (in the first round no less) is also evidence/proof of racism.

So what scenario would be evidence of not being racist?
MelvinUdall
It's a catch 22, you draft a black QB then the criticism is you didn't draft one sooner, never will make a difference.
rbcs_2
AG
Sean Jones is pretty old school. I'm surprised he has that kind of attitude, unless it's just stirring the pot for the sake of radio.
LilSebastian13
AG
I'd take him before the 5th or 6th and make his contract as incentive-laden as possible. Make sure he knows he'll see the door at the first sign of screw up off the field.
MelvinUdall
rbcs_2 said:

Sean Jones is pretty old school. I'm surprised he has that kind of attitude, unless it's just stirring the pot for the sake of radio.

He talked about his has friends that are GM's that won't draft players that are gay. His politics lean left so he questions everyone's intentions, regardless if they have merit or not. Maybe I am different than McNair, but I wouldn't care of the players skin color, just win. My guess is McNair feels the same, but who the heck knows.
bilbobag
Mr. McNair is far far from racist.. The players respect him and Janice so much.

Sean Jones needs to take a look in the mirror..

All I have to say about that
MelvinUdall
bilbobag said:

Mr. McNair is far far from racist.. The players respect him and Janice so much.

Sean Jones needs to take a look in the mirror..

All I have to say about that

I don't know Bob or his wife, but I felt his comments were unsubstantiated other than he was white and never drafted a black QB.
dixichkn
AG
J_R said:

I'm not normally "Jersey Guy", in fact I usually kinda laugh at Jersey Guy.......but I'm so stoked by this pick that I may actually become Jersey Guy. I love this pick. Regardless of what we had to give up to get him. Anybody that can shred Bama like that......TWICE.......that's a winner.
Ag_07
AG
dixichkn said:

Anybody that can shred Bama like that......TWICE.......that's a winner.

Not to burst your bubble but Johnny dismantled Bama twice
CFTXAG10
AG
I don't like a lot of the Texans caps but that draft one is pretty sick
rbcs_2
AG
Ag_07 said:

dixichkn said:

I don't think you're going to burst anyone's bubble by comparing him to Johnny.
MelvinUdall
Ag_07 said:

dixichkn said:

I think the difference is that Manziel was a disaster outside of football, but I get your point.
W
AG
this will be fun to watch. The first 3 defenses that Savage Tom will face:

Jaguars
at Bengals
at Patriots

he may not exactly light them up
shano0603
AG
30 new posts. Was hoping for insight from Bilbo.... but all I got was talk about McNair being racist.
mAgnoliAg
AG
Sheldon Richardson on the trade block. Get him and move clowney back to OLB
MelvinUdall
mAgnoliAg said:

Sheldon Richardson on the trade block. Get him and move clowney back to OLB

No
The D
AG
Super pumped about Watson. This franchise needs to be agressive at that position or the ceiling is a 10-6 type team and a first round playoff win.

Watson is a winner and plays good in big games. Love his attitude and play making ability. I liked him over mahomes, even though I think mahomes has tremendous upside.
AgsMyDude
AG
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/28/final-cost-of-brock-osweiler-mistake-two-first-round-picks-second-round-pick-21-million/

When you put it that way.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.