Francis Scott key bridge struck by boat

77,635 Views | 829 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by IndividualFreedom
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Seriously? An engineering casualty. They lost the plant.
GeorgiAg
AG
hmmmm....

CDUB98
AG
Sea Speed said:

DIESEL LIVES MATTER!!
UAS Ag
Sea Speed said:

I haven't heard that terminology before regarding a mishap. Is that shipping terminology?
agracer
AG
Sea Speed said:

Power failures or plant failures are not typically referred to as a "casualty".

It's usually called, you know, a POWER FAILURE or loss of some system that allows the ship to maintain steering or propulsion.

If you car had a flat tire you would not call AAA and say "I had a tire casualty".

but maybe with ships its different.
Ghost Mech
User name checks out.

annie88
AG
Eliminatus said:

New nightmare unlocked.

The timing of certain catastrophes are just scary. The people that just happened to be on that bridge at that exact moment. Five minutes either way of them leaving or going a different way changes the outcome of their life. Always so freaky.

I'm so sorry for those that were lost.
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
GAC06
AG
agracer said:

Sea Speed said:

It's usually called, you know, a POWER FAILURE or loss of some system that allows the ship to maintain steering or propulsion.

If you car had a flat tire you would not call AAA and say "I had a tire casualty".

Haha. Yeah maybe with ships that's what it's called. Maybe.
Pro Sandy
AG
UAS Ag said:

Pro Sandy said:

Just listened to the governor's update on WCBM.

Ship alerted authorities prior to allision that they had a casualty. Traffic was stopped onto the bridge. It is believed the only victims (2 recovered, one in hospital one out, 6 being searched for) were a work crew fixing potholes.

Bridge was up to code.

All ship traffic in/out of port of Baltimore is stopped.

FBI reported no creditable threat or evidence of a terror attack.
They had a casualty? Someone seriously injured or dead?
No, propulsion casualty
Madman
AG
Iran sank a single cargo container ship in the 80s that I am told almost caused a disaster for the global insurance market. And the ship was small by today's standards and the value of the goods was low relative to say a ship with containers full of iPhones or laptops. Peter Z talked about it in one of his videos and how sinking a modern ship would be world shaking disaster for the insurance industry.

So what will the fallout be this time considering the ship may be afloat (is it, I don't know) but the damage to the bridge, and the follow on damage would seem to be many orders of magnitude greater. Is anyone's insurance going to be on the hook for this? What will that insurance companies underwriters be on the hook for? Does the first insurance company just tap out and file bankruptcy?
CDUB98
AG
agracer said:

Sea Speed said:

Complete guess.

They had some kind of accident down in the plant area that killed someone. Others panicked and somehow they lost the whole farking thing.

We're talking Indians (dot) here. As soon as you ask them to do anything outside of their little box, they are immediately lost.
Seamaster
AG
The Tappan Zee bridge in NY was maybe similar size (if anything francis scott key is longer) and the that one took 6-7 years to build new, without the added time of removing the old structure.

And it cost like 7 billion dollars....

this was recent.
EMY92
AG
CDUB98 said:

JFABNRGR said:

CDUB98 said:

Quote:

yes, and it's going to be in the billions for sure. but there is no viable alternative.
It's impossible to do a bridge of this scale under a billion now.

Whats the over under on time to replace?

I am going with 5+ years after award.
Opinion only, but 4-5 years to bridge completion and use is not unrealistic. Money could possibly get it down to the 3-4 year time frame.

Oddly, the largest time suck will be the soil/ground investigation and piling/foundation design, likely.
When I-35 over the Mississippi River in Minneapolis collapsed in 2007, the replacement was opened less than 14 months later.

It can be done, it just takes more money.
UAS Ag
GAC06 said:

agracer said:

Sea Speed said:

If you lost an engine, would you declare a casualty?
Bruce Almighty
AG
agracer said:

Sea Speed said:

Loss of the ship is referred to as a casualty
sts7049
AG
GeorgiAg said:

hmmmm....

stop reading garbage twitter accounts
GAC06
AG
UAS Ag said:

GAC06 said:

agracer said:

Sea Speed said:

If you lost an engine, would you declare a casualty?

If I was on a ship, yeah
BCSWguru
they've been trying to cancel Francis Scott Key for a long time.
TexasAGGIEinAR
CDUB98 said:

Sea Speed said:

DIESEL LIVES MATTER!!
Shane Diesel?
Hogs suck, Horns suck, everyone else I can deal with.
fc2112
agracer said:

Sea Speed said:

Posts like this are the best part of these tragedies. People with no clue weighing in with their uneducated opinion. Glorious.
OverSeas AG
AG
I've worked around the US surface navy at times.

Yes "casualty" is a common term for an engineering issue. From a 2016 article on the USS Zumwalt

"The biggest and most technologically advanced destroyer in U.S. naval history, the 16,000-ton next generation guided-missile destroyer USS Zumwalt, has suffered an engineering casualty during preparation for at-sea trials on September 19, the U.S. Navy said in a statement to USNI News.

The repairs could take up to two weeks, according to the U.S. Navy. "The crew discovered the casualty after detecting a seawater leak in the propulsion motor drive lube oil auxiliary system for one of the ship's shafts," the statement reads."

Original article:

https://thediplomat.com/2016/09/us-navys-new-stealth-destroyer-suffers-engineering-casualty/
DON'T TREAD ON ME
tmaggies
AG
Look at the positive they can now rename the new bridge the george floyd but seriously prayers for those affected.
UAS Ag
Bruce Almighty said:

agracer said:

Sea Speed said:

Loss of the ship is referred to as a casualty
Quote:

I learn something new every day...

Marine casualty or accident means
(a) Any casualty or accident involving any vessel other than a public vessel that
(1) Occurs upon the navigable waters of the United States, its territories or possessions;
(2) Involves any United States vessel wherever such casualty or accident occurs; or
(3) With respect to a foreign tank vessel operating in waters subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, including the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ), involves significant harm to the environment or material damage affecting the seaworthiness or efficiency of the vessel.
(b) The term "marine casualty or accident" applies to events caused by or involving a vessel and includes, but is not limited to, the following:
(1) Any fall overboard, injury, or loss of life of any person.
(2) Any occurrence involving a vessel that results in
(i) Grounding;
(ii) Stranding;
(iii) Foundering;
(iv) Flooding;
(v) Collision;
(vi) Allision;
(vii) Explosion;
(viii) Fire;
(ix) Reduction or loss of a vessel's electrical power, propulsion, or steering capabilities;
(x) Failures or occurrences, regardless of cause, which impair any aspect of a vessel's operation, components, or cargo;
(xi) Any other circumstance that might affect or impair a vessel's seaworthiness, efficiency, or fitness for service or route; or
(xii) Any incident involving significant harm to the environment.
(3) Any occurrences of injury or loss of life to any person while diving from a vessel and using underwater breathing apparatus.
(4) Any incident described in 4.051(a).

Seriously had never heard that terminology regarding a mishap...but I'm in the aviation industry.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

Posts like this are the best part of these tragedies. People with no clue weighing in with their uneducated opinion. Glorious.
That's why I keep saying prefacing with "guess."

Today I learned that casualty can mean an engineering failure. Good to know.

But, the engineering side of things, I'm pretty close the mark simply because of my career.
MouthBQ98
AG
I have heard of the terminology "casualty" used to refer to dead engines or systems before. In aircraft and in ships or vessels.

It is another way of referring to a system that is rendered out of service due to some problem that has occurred, similar to saying it is dead due to the event aboard the vessel that caused whatever problem occurred and can no longer be relied upon to solve the problem.

A lot of these big container ships have just 1-2 huge engines for efficiency and if they go, there is a near immediate loss of control without thrust in the direction of travel.

A lot of bridges are now designed and built with protection for pylons or support structures adjacent to shipping channels but this hasn't been retrofitted to many older bridges.
bloom
I think the only political angle on this is the forced fuel changes.

"Shippers Fear Engine Failures as Industry Forced to Upgrade Fuel"

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-11/shippers-fear-engine-failures-as-industry-forced-to-upgrade-fuel
Faustus
Pro Sandy said:

Just listened to the governor's update on WCBM.

Ship alerted authorities prior to allision that they had a casualty. Traffic was stopped onto the bridge. It is believed the only victims (2 recovered, one in hospital one out, 6 being searched for) were a work crew fixing potholes.

Bridge was up to code.

All ship traffic in/out of port of Baltimore is stopped.

FBI reported no creditable threat or evidence of a terror attack.

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2024/03/26/us/baltimore-bridge-collapse

Quote:

. . .
The ship's crew notified authorities that they had lost power shortly before it struck the bridge, Gov. Wes Moore of Maryland said.
. . .
Officials were searching for six members of a road repair crew who had been working on the Francis Scott Key Bridge, which is part of Interstate 695, when it collapsed, said Paul J. Wiedefeld, Maryland's transportation secretary.

Two others had been rescued; one of them was in the hospital, Mr. Wiedefeld said, adding that the authorities did not think any drivers were submerged in their cars.

Mr. Moore said that after a mayday call was made ahead of the collapse, workers stopped cars from continuing onto the bridge, a rapid response that he credited with saving lives. "These people are heroes," he said.
. . .
The ship is a 948-foot-long cargo vessel named Dali. The owners of the vessel, a Singapore-flagged ship, said it hit a pillar of the bridge around 1:30 a.m. All crew members, including two pilots onboard, have been accounted for and there were no injuries on the ship, the owners said. Maryland officials said the crew was still onboard.
. . .
Foreverconservative
Well leave it to the local idiots to turn a very good information based thread with good learning points inseted by people who actually have direct knowledge into the ins and outs of this type of vessel, into a total crapshow as usual.....
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
Rapier108

The NTSB chair only goes with the Go Team when it is something extremely serious, although I wish they'd send someone else. She is not a very good public speaker, and the board member's job is to be the liaison between the Go Team and the media.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
CDUB98
AG
Foreverconservative said:

Well leave it to the local idiots to turn a very good information based thread with good learning points inseted by people who actually have direct knowledge into the ins and outs of this type of vessel, into a total crapshow as usual.....
New here?
CDUB98
AG
Rapier108 said:

Oh, yeah, the gov't is here to help.
txags92
AG
C@LAg said:

BassCowboy33 said:

C@LAg said:

notice the smoke as well. it was not previously exiting the top of the boat until after the first power failure.

The smoke is likely just exhaust. It appears to be coming from the smoke stack on the stern.
that is a reasonable and logical assumption, of course, and 99.9% likely what it is.

but it was not being exhausted for the minute prior to the power outage.

there are no clips (yet) from much more than a minute before the crash to see if this is normal or abnormal based on what was going on at the time.
Probably a backup generator kicking on after the first power failure.
Rapier108
The NTSB is probably one of the few government entities I'd say still has some credibility.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
TyHolden
AG
somehow this will be used in the election...
Sea Speed
AG
Rapier108 said:

The NTSB is probably one of the few government entities I'd say still has some credibility.

Their reports are generally really thorough, i have read a number of them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.