Francis Scott key bridge struck by boat

77,656 Views | 829 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by IndividualFreedom
Bocephus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
jabberwalkie09
AG
Eliminatus
AG
New nightmare unlocked.
TexasRebel
AG
Sounds like A-Major catastrophe.
C@LAg

no... really?!?!?!?!?!?!

as of 1:22am PT... 10 people still missing, assumed in the water. hopefully they are all found alive
jabberwalkie09
AG

Some early details.
Psycho Bunny
To the idiot pilotling the ship

Americans new motto
Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate

The universe is cold and unfeeling, the only constant is chaos.

The game of life is rigged death always wins.
C@LAg
something of a small blessing it occurred late at night, with the bridge (maybe)? closed for over night construction work... so just police/construction workers on the bridge deck, at least that is the jist I am seeing. regardless traffic was likely relatively light.

would have been horrific during commuting hours.
Foreverconservative
Very bizarre, it appeared to be under steam not just drifting. Had it been drifting why not drop anchors and begin dragging way up the chanel? The number of errors needed for a container ship to hit this bridge...unbelievable. Someone better be drawing blood and drug testing everyone on that ship right now.

Container ship under the flag of Singapore, I'm pretty sure there still would have been a harbor pilot on the ship at this point. I think they need one to come up the Chesapeake Bay because the ship channel is so narrow. Port of Baltimore is effectively shut down for the near future, the economic impact of that won't fade soon.

Let's see how long it take Buttegig to repond with anything more than "Aw Shucks"

Is it just me or does it not appear like there was a course correction to run directly into the bridge pylon?
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
C@LAg
Foreverconservative said:

Is it just me or does it not appear like there was a course correction to run directly into the bridge pylon?
it looks like it loses power at one point, and then the drifting/turn into the bridge

so engine was still puffing generating pressure, driving it, but the loss of power may have doomed it.
fixer
How the hell is that not intentional?
Foreverconservative
C@LAg said:

it looks like it loses power at one point, and then the drifting/turn into the bridge

so engine was still puffing generating pressure, driving it, but the loss of power may have doomed it.
Yeah I did notice all the lights on the ship go off for about three seconds before the impact, however the ship has a backup uninterruptible power supply, or UPS, that can provide power and automation in case of emergency. SO I'm not really buying power loss yet.
“Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience" - Mark Twain
I Am A Critic
Fortunately, we have an expert on this board who can provide some context that the armchair experts above cannot. Hopefully he'll respond when he's awake.
Username checks out.
C@LAg

C@LAg said:

Yeah I did notice all the lights on the ship go off for about three seconds before the impact, however the ship has a backup uninterruptible power supply, or UPS, that can provide power and automation in case of emergency. SO I'm not really buying power loss yet.
and I have done reviews of data centers that have all sorts of redundancies re: power, cooling, data backup systems.

And you know what?

They still have the occasional hard failures at some point. Whether power, cooling, etc. etc.

It happens. it is rare, but it still does
Foreverconservative
C@LAg said:

C@LAg said:

and I have done reviews of data centers that have all sorts of redundancies re: power, cooling, data backup systems.

And you know what?

They still have the occasional hard failures at some point. Whether power, cooling, etc. etc.

It happens. it is rare, but it still does
Fully agree some of the greatest redundancy backups fail.

This is a good data point

C@LAg
notice the smoke as well. it was not previously exiting the top of the boat until after the first power failure.

Foreverconservative
I spend a lot of time on the water and have this nice app on my phone. This is currently the conditions
BassCowboy33
I used to drive container ships for a living. It appears that the vessel lost power based on its lighting, probably headed for Seagirt Marine Terminal.

You normally have someone stationed at the bow in the event of a power loss, but the loss happened so late in the game, it doesn't look like it would've made a difference. You do the gig long enough, you'll have a power loss like this. You just hope it doesn't happen in a tough spot.
Foreverconservative
C@LAg said:

notice the smoke as well. it was not previously exiting the top of the boat until after the first power failure.

Just eyeballing the smoke plume that's not a lot of wind measuring the drift of the plume.
BassCowboy33
C@LAg said:

The smoke is likely just exhaust. It appears to be coming from the smoke stack on the stern.
BassCowboy33

C@LAg said:

Just eyeballing the smoke plume that's not a lot of wind measuring the drift of the plume.

Wind will be interesting. Container ships have a fairly large sail area. A power loss, even for just a few seconds in a ship channel, can (and appears to have been) catastrophic.
C@LAg
BassCowboy33 said:

C@LAg said:

The smoke is likely just exhaust. It appears to be coming from the smoke stack on the stern.
that is a reasonable and logical assumption, of course, and 99.9% likely what it is.

but it was not being exhausted for the minute prior to the power outage.

there are no clips (yet) from much more than a minute before the crash to see if this is normal or abnormal based on what was going on at the time.
EMY92
AG
C@LAg said:

no... really?!?!?!?!?!?!

as of 1:22am PT... 10 people still missing, assumed in the water. hopefully they are all found alive
I would say that the chance of survival is small, that's almost a 200' drop, plus all of the steel coming down around you doesn't improve the odds.
Foreverconservative
BassCowboy33 said:

C@LAg said:

Wind will be interesting. Container ships have a fairly large sail area. A power loss, even for just a few seconds in a ship channel, can (and appears to have been) catastrophic.
Am I correct in guessing that there would likely still would be a harbor pilot on the ship at this point? No sure if there was there could have anything they could have done anyway had there been some freak power loss at a very unfortunate time.
BassCowboy33

BassCowboy33 said:

C@LAg said:

Am I correct in guessing that there would likely still would be a harbor pilot on the ship at this point? No sure if there was there could have anything they could have done anyway had there been some freak power loss at a very unfortunate time.

100%.

Gonna be honest. At the point they lost power in a narrow ship channel like, it's likely just an "Oh, ****" moment. You know the moment in Speed when Jeff Daniels realizes he's screwed? Kinda like that. There might be an off chance that they have tried to ground the vessel, but that has its own risks.
C@LAg
EMY92 said:

I would say that the chance of survival is small, that's almost a 200' drop, plus all of the steel coming down around you doesn't improve the odds.
water is also COLD. below 10 degrees Celsius
FJB24
In before "Putin/Trump did this."
C@LAg
Sotero-Judges said:

In before "Putin/Trump did this."
or

"ISIS has already claimed responsibility"

I have seen those joke posts already on twitter.
ts5641
Yeah it appears it turned right into it.
eATMup-Reveille
C@LAg
god, their mayor has such a face-punchable presence.
Foreverconservative
The real Oh Sh** moment would be the crews stationed in the fo'c's'le getting the call to GTFO now....
torrid
AG
I assume ships have the equivalent of the voice and flight data recorders on airplanes?
C@LAg
EMY92 said:

2 pulled from the water so far per press conference. 1 walked away without injuries, refused transport to hospital. other in serious condition, taken to hospital.

at present they are looking for 7 additional people
C@LAg
torrid said:

I assume ships have the equivalent of the voice and flight data recorders on airplanes?
yes, voyage data recorders (VDR)

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.