Francis Scott key bridge struck by boat

77,626 Views | 829 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by IndividualFreedom
Fall92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
PS- no one should be surprised when the vessel owner files a limitation (of liability) action later today in Maryland federal court.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
AnScAggie
AG
UAS Ag said:

This kind of stuff kind of creeps me out since I have to drive over the JFK bridge in in Corpus between the Island and the Bluff every day and MANY times there's a barge going under it as I'm on the bridge...
Me too. I don't live permanently in Port A, but I go to our place there often enough that I pay attention to what's in the water around the bridge. When I see a barge or a large ship I haul ass to get over the bridge before they get to it if I can. While not the main reason, it was a factor in deciding to build our new home between Aransas Pass and Rockport vs upgrading in Port A. I got stuck on the island when the freeze happened in 2021 and I told my wife then if the bridge ever got damaged and shutdown for a long time there's no way we could live on the island while it was being repaired.
Cromagnum
AG
Logos Stick said:

Paw says he took the train over the bridge many times:

Not worth the trouble. Why does he always try to make every ******* thing about himself?
UAS Ag
AnScAggie said:

UAS Ag said:

This kind of stuff kind of creeps me out since I have to drive over the JFK bridge in in Corpus between the Island and the Bluff every day and MANY times there's a barge going under it as I'm on the bridge...
Me too. I don't live permanently in Port A, but I go to our place there often enough that I pay attention to what's in the water around the bridge. When I see a barge or a large ship I haul ass to get over the bridge before they get to it if I can. While not the main reason, it was a factor in deciding to build our new home between Aransas Pass and Rockport vs upgrading in Port A. I got stuck on the island when the freeze happened in 2021 and I told my wife then if the bridge ever got damaged and shutdown for a long time there's no way we could live on the island while it was being repaired.
Ah yes...that freeze shut us off the world for a bit.

I know what you're saying, though - I work in the Bluff. If the bridge goes down I have to go take the ferry to Aransas Pass and come all around the bay. That would SUCK...The island would be f-ed.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Terrorism, or that the ship's systems were somehow hacked seems extremely unlikely here. Still possible but the very lowest of probability. Looking at this scenario, it has all the makings of what you would expect from a mechanical failure or human error leading to loss of steering at the worst possible moment.
milner79

AgResearch
AG
Cromagnum said:

Logos Stick said:

Paw says he took the train over the bridge many times:

Not worth the trouble. Why does he always try to make every ******* thing about himself?
He has mashed potatoes for brains...
txags92
AG
So with the discussion about ultra low sulfur diesel, does anybody know if there is a way to see if this was this ship's first trip to a US port where they would be required to use it?
Isosceles_Kramer
Id say in 24 hours he will share how he inspired Key to write the Star Spangled Banner after beau died in Vietnam
Ag_07
AG
This kind of incident reminds me of the Swiss cheese model.

There are tons of fail safe protocols and checks and balances that are in place to prevent catastrophic events like this but when each of those protocols aren't followed it all lines up and results in worse case scenarios like this.

Stat Monitor Repairman
txags92 said:

So with the discussion about ultra low sulfur diesel, does anybody know if there is a way to see if this was this ship's first trip to a US port where they would be required to use it?
This ship looks to have been on a scheduled liner route between Asia, Europe and North America. Last visit to the US was in December 2023.
Seamaster
AG
aggiehawg said:

jt2hunt said:

How large of an insurance carrier do you have to be to underwrite coverage for a ship like this one? This has to be a very bad day for this insurance company.
Usually Lloyds of London and their consortion have reinsurance upon reinsurance upon reinsurance. Limits the liabilities for each. Which means the primary pays out their policy limit, then the next in line pays out their policy limits and so on down the line, or there is a percentage agreed to between them so every insurer gets to take a bite out of the turd sandwich. Or at least that used to be how maritime policies were handled. There's almost always more than one insurer involved.

Yep. I can say with certainty that this vessel's liability (known as P&I) is insured in a mutual P&I club (Brittania) that's reinsured into a large pool of reinsurers. Loss will be huge but shared amongst a lot of different companies.
Logos Stick
So the cargo ship company or its insurance has no responsibility here. Its on the taxpayers to pay for this thing per this Marxist POS:

AgResearch
AG
A funding bill for that bridge will have so much pork attached since it's a "critical need" and a guarantee pass.
MAROON
AG
Logos Stick said:

So the cargo ship company or its insurance has no responsibility here. Its on the taxpayers to pay for this thing per this Marxist POS:

he went on to say....."my son Hunter will set-up and off-shore corporation to manage the re-build. Potential vendors are asked to make bids to that entity....and don't forget 10% for the Big Guy!"
Stat Monitor Repairman
This is a massive container ship, almost 1000ft long. A newer ship at 9 years old or so.

The fact that it was foreign flagged, foreign owned, and foreign operated is not really an issue here there are high standards in place to even get access to a US port.

I would guess that the captain was probably Singaporean with some lower level crew from the Philippines, Sri Lanka or other from south East Asia.

Big container lines aren't going to be slacking on maintenance as general rule. The operator was incentivized to keep the ship maintained and in tip-top condition due to quick turnaround of container ships and high cost of any preventable delay.
milner79
Wasted pandering, Brandon. Maryland is voting blue regardless.

Worst "president" ever.
usmcbrooks
Isosceles_Kramer said:

Id say in 24 hours he will share how he inspired Key to write the Star Spangled Banner after beau died in Vietnam
I thought Beau died at Valley Forge
Im Gipper
Quote:

They will possibly write in a subrogation right.

I'm Gipper
Im Gipper
Lara Logan is really pushing cyber attack theory.

Is she credible?

I'm Gipper
annie88
AG
Ellis Wyatt
Logos Stick said:

Yes, that dip**** let the insurance companies off the hook for their legal responsibility and is going to steal that from all of us.
MAROON
AG
Im Gipper said:

Is she credible?
per Wiki:

Comments about Darwin and the Rothschild family

In March 2022, Logan claimed without evidence that Charles Darwin was employed by the Rothschild family to create his theory of evolution.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lara_Logan#cite_note-59][59][/url] She also promoted claims that the Rothschild family, a frequent target of antisemitic conspiracy theories, engineered the American Civil War and the assassinations of Abraham Lincoln and John F. Kennedy.[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lara_Logan#cite_note-60][60][/url]
Ellis Wyatt
usmcbrooks said:

Isosceles_Kramer said:

Depends on the lie Joe's telling that day.
Rapier108
Im Gipper said:

Is she credible?
Only if compared to Laura Loomer, and then only by 1/1000000000 of a millimeter.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
TXAggie2011
AG
Im Gipper said:

Is she credible?
In short, no.
CDUB98
AG
Im Gipper said:

Is she credible?
I think she used to be credible, but went off the rails.
Rapier108
From the NTSB press conference by Chair Jennifer Homendy.

The 24 member Go Team (that's about as big of a Go Team as you'll see) arrived at 6AM, but is only gathering information at this time as search and rescue operation is still ongoing. How long the S&R will continue is up to the Coast Guard.

The NTSB will lead the investigation. The Coast Guard will be working with the NTSB.

Because it involves both a ship and a highway, this puts the NTSB as the lead.

Ship is 983ft. long, 95,000 gross tons.

The NTSB will not provide information on injuries and fatalities; that is the domain of local authorities.

They are already working with Singapore's version of the NTSB. They are sending personal to assist as is Singapore's maritime regulation board.

Some of the press questions:

How critical will the data recorder be? She said it will be very important and they have a full team on site just to analyze it. They cannot board the ship until the S&R is complete.

Who else will the NTSB be working with? Other groups will include the owner of the ship, the operator of the ship (different entities), and the harbor pilots association (union I assume).

Question on what is the priority beyond S&R due to traffic disruptions and port being closed? This will not be the NTSB's priority; it will fall to Maryland DOT and USDOT. First and foremost is people impacted and then the investigation.

Question on bridge maintenance? It will be looked into as part of the investigation, but that is standard for a bridge collapse.

Next briefing at 5PM, very likely it will be later. This one was 3 hours late.

Jennifer Homendy did a lot better this time. Seems like she's been working to improve her public speaking.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
bonfarr
AG
one safe place said:

MAROON said:

MV Dali Hitting Key Bridge in Baltimore - Track and Video Analysis (youtube.com)

pretty good video and analysis
Informative video, thanks for posting.

For the experts on the thread, when he said the smoke seen could be indicative of the ship beginning to back down, what does that phrase mean?
74OA
AG
bonfarr said:

one safe place said:

MAROON said:

MV Dali Hitting Key Bridge in Baltimore - Track and Video Analysis (youtube.com)

For the experts on the thread, when he said the smoke seen could be indicative of the ship beginning to back down, what does that phrase mean?
Not an expert, but might the smoke mean the crew had just got the engines restarted and was trying to stop.
agent-maroon
AG
usmcbrooks said:

Isosceles_Kramer said:

Beau was pretty flexible. He has died wherever his dad needed him to die and continues to do so to this very day.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ghost Mech
Rapier108 said:

Im Gipper said:

Is she credible?
Only if compared to Laura Loomer, and then only by 1/1000000000 of a millimeter.

Remember that AT&T outage a few weeks ago? 12 hours after things when down everyone online claimed it HAD to be a cyberattack.

I have a colleague over AT&T. He was on the Emergency Comm meeting very early in the morning when they figured out it was someone who installed the wrong software update to the Public Safety Network.....

Not everything has to be a conspiracy theory. Sometimes things just break or someone screws up.
Rapier108
Zergling Rush said:

Rapier108 said:

Im Gipper said:

Is she credible?

Remember that AT&T outage a few weeks ago? 12 hours after things when down everyone online claimed it HAD to be a cyberattack.

I have a colleague over AT&T. He was on the Emergency Comm meeting very early in the morning when they figured out it was someone who installed the wrong software update to the Public Safety Network.....

Not everything has to be a conspiracy theory. Sometimes things just break or someone screws up.
Yep, but too many people now think everything is some nefarious action or conspiracy.

Really got going during the heyday of "Q" when every single event would somehow be shoehorned into the Q prophecies, and were all part of some massive global conspiracy, or Trump's war against it. A huge number of Q followers have never recovered from it.
MouthBQ98
AG
It is very unlikely. A mechanical fault of procedural error in operating the diesel engines is more likely. Lose the engines, you lose propulsion and steering and power generation and it just takes a bad valve or a failure in the fuel injector pump and the whole engine goes down.
one safe place
bonfarr said:

one safe place said:

MAROON said:

I am an expert on jon boats and kayaks only! I wondered the same thing you did when I heard it, twice I think. In my inexperienced mind, I thought maybe they had reversed the engines to try and slow the ship and the smoke was the running of the engines at full throttle. I realize they had no time, nor did they have the distance, with which to make the ship go in reverse, but I figured it was to try and slow the forward speed of the ship. They said on this video, or perhaps another, that they had dropped the port side anchor.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.