Francis Scott key bridge struck by boat

77,649 Views | 829 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by IndividualFreedom
Fall92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The N/S Savannah is an interesting one as it was the first commercial nuclear ship.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

Just reminded me of time I was driving 225 on ship channel bridge. All of a sudden cars hit their brakes and started driving wrong way on bridge.

Ummmm
Bondag
AG
CDUB98 said:

Quote:

Just reminded me of time I was driving 225 on ship channel bridge. All of a sudden cars hit their brakes and started driving wrong way on bridge.

Ummmm

Sidney Sherman. Whatever it's called
Bondag
AG
Bondag said:

CDUB98 said:

Quote:

Ummmm

Sidney Sherman. Whatever it's called

CDUB98
AG
Round these parts, we just say, "the east loop."
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Because all 6 victims of the Baltimore bridge collapse were immigrants, Mexico President Andrs Manuel Lpez Obrador says the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore shows that "migrants go out and do risky jobs at midnight" and as a result they "do not deserve to be treated as they are by certain insensitive, irresponsible politicians in the United States."

Mexico president says Baltimore bridge collapse shows migrants 'do not deserve to be treated as they are' (msn.com)

Liberals are using this tragedy to show how undocumented migrants make our country great. For exmple. MSBNC Author Ja'han Jones wrote how the tragedy serves as a timely reminder of the essential role these people play in fueling the U.S. economy. To be clear, immigrants contribute much more to the country than their labor. But highlighting their economic contributions and the risks that immigrants take to make them is just one way to call out the right-wing bigots who claim they want America to prosper yet malign people who help make that prosperity possible.

The Baltimore bridge collapse victims were all immigrants. Here's why we can't ignore that. (msn.com)

From the day in the mid-2000s when a then-20-year-old Maynor Yassir Suazo Sandoval crossed the border into America, he never stopped working. The youngest of eight children, Suazo was fleeing numbing poverty and a dead-end career path in Azacualpa, a small rural village in the western mountains of Honduras.

The undocumented Suazo wound up in Greater Baltimore, a magnet for Central American refugees with its relatively cheap housing for the bustling Eastern Seaboard, a friendly climate toward migrants, and lots of opportunity. With American dreams of entrepreneurship, he took menial jobs like clearing brush, then launched a package delivery service, and when COVID-19 ended that, started working overnight construction for a Baltimore contractor, Brawner Brothers.

A ship crashed into a Baltimore bridge and demolished the lies about immigration (inquirer.com)

Screw these liberals!
TyHolden
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

Because all 6 victims of the Baltimore bridge collapse were immigrants, Mexico President Andrs Manuel Lpez Obrador says the collapse of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore shows that "migrants go out and do risky jobs at midnight" and as a result they "do not deserve to be treated as they are by certain insensitive, irresponsible politicians in the United States."

Mexico president says Baltimore bridge collapse shows migrants 'do not deserve to be treated as they are' (msn.com)

MSBNC Author Ja'han Jones wrote how the tragedy serves as a timely reminder of the essential role these people play in fueling the U.S. economy. To be clear, immigrants contribute much more to the country than their labor. But highlighting their economic contributions and the risks that immigrants take to make them is just one way to call out the right-wing bigots who claim they want America to prosper yet malign people who help make that prosperity possible.

The Baltimore bridge collapse victims were all immigrants. Here's why we can't ignore that. (msn.com)
that settles it. it was politically planned.
TexasRebel
AG
Documented immigrants?
CanyonAg77
AG
Baltimore is 61% black, Should we go throw a few blacks off the bridge, to even things out?
TyHolden
AG
TexasRebel said:

Documented immigrants?
91AggieLawyer
AG
Rapier108 said:

annie88 said:

It may very well not be terrorism, and I hope it's not, but to make that statement so quickly, just hours later, seems ill-advised.

It's funny how the media these days tend to amplify certain things and downplay others, depending on the outcome they seemingly want.

For example, the color of mass shooters seems to have become a very big thing.

Probably because there is zero evidence it was terrorism.

Not every bad event is a deliberate act. Accidents do happen, even really big ones.

"Zero evidence" of terrorism after 8 hours in the middle of the night?

I agree with what you're getting at -- it almost certainly wasn't a terroristic act. But the point, which you seemed to miss, was the declaration of "zero evidence" came before there could have been any reasonable search for such evidence.
C@LAg
91AggieLawyer said:

Rapier108 said:

annie88 said:

It may very well not be terrorism, and I hope it's not, but to make that statement so quickly, just hours later, seems ill-advised.

It's funny how the media these days tend to amplify certain things and downplay others, depending on the outcome they seemingly want.

Not every bad event is a deliberate act. Accidents do happen, even really big ones.

I agree with what you're getting at -- it almost certainly wasn't a terroristic act. But the point, which you seemed to miss, was the declaration of "zero evidence" came before there could have been any reasonable search for such evidence.
yes, but they had notice from the ship that something was amiss.

yes, that would not rule out "terrorism" but the ship was being communicative and alerting the authorities. and the video evidence to support their claims was immediately available to the authorities

I think it is fair to say the Baltimore Port and PD had enough IMMEDIATE information to reasonably, but not absolutely, rule out a likely/immanent terrorism threat.

* and I am also not saying this was not negligence, criminal or otherwise, and it could very well still turn out to be sabotage, which could be a terrorist act in and of itself... but "we" have possession of the ship, can review logs, looks at the eqipment/systems, and the crew was going nowhere.
TA-OP
C@LAg said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Rapier108 said:

annie88 said:

yes, that would not rule out "terrorism" but the ship was being communicative and alerting the authorities. and the video evidence to support their claims was immediately available to the authorities

I think it is fair to say the Baltimore Port and PD had enough IMMEDIATE information to reasonably, but not absolutely, rule out an immanent terrorism threat.

not to mention, as shown with the Moscow attack, our intel community is pretty effing good at what they do regardless of your politics.
BQ78
AG
I'm kind of partial to the Constellation, one of the last non-steam frigates that was built at Gosport.
Texasclipper
AG
Fall92 said:

The N/S Savannah is an interesting one as it was the first commercial nuclear ship.
There's an restored and operable Liberty Ship up there too.
JayHowdy!
TA-OP said:

C@LAg said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Rapier108 said:

annie88 said:

I think it is fair to say the Baltimore Port and PD had enough IMMEDIATE information to reasonably, but not absolutely, rule out an immanent terrorism threat.

not to mention, as shown with the Moscow attack, our intel community is pretty effing good at what they do regardless of your politics.

Colin Powell says "Hi"
Ag with kids
AG
Iraq2xVeteran said:

Liberals are using this tragedy to show how undocumented migrants make our country great. For exmple. MSBNC Author Ja'han Jones wrote how the tragedy serves as a timely reminder of the essential role these people play in fueling the U.S. economy. To be clear, immigrants contribute much more to the country than their labor. But highlighting their economic contributions and the risks that immigrants take to make them is just one way to call out the right-wing bigots who claim they want America to prosper yet malign people who help make that prosperity possible.

From the day in the mid-2000s when a then-20-year-old Maynor Yassir Suazo Sandoval crossed the border into America, he never stopped working. The youngest of eight children, Suazo was fleeing numbing poverty and a dead-end career path in Azacualpa, a small rural village in the western mountains of Honduras.

The undocumented Suazo wound up in Greater Baltimore, a magnet for Central American refugees with its relatively cheap housing for the bustling Eastern Seaboard, a friendly climate toward migrants, and lots of opportunity. With American dreams of entrepreneurship, he took menial jobs like clearing brush, then launched a package delivery service, and when COVID-19 ended that, started working overnight construction for a Baltimore contractor, Brawner Brothers.

A ship crashed into a Baltimore bridge and demolished the lies about immigration (inquirer.com)

Screw these liberals!
Sounds like somebody was illegally employing this guy...
jt2hunt
AG
Isis is claiming responsibility. Of course they claim all acts.
One terrorist attack between now and the election is lights out for Dems!
Logos Stick
TA-OP said:

C@LAg said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Rapier108 said:

annie88 said:

If by pretty effing good you, mean not worth a ****, you are correct.
Logos Stick
Read an article today that referenced a prof of civil engineering from Princeton saying it could take 10 years to rebuild this thing.
aggiehawg
AG
Logos Stick said:

Read an article today that referenced a prof of civil engineering from Princeton saying it could take 10 years to rebuild this thing.
Saw that too. Billions of dollars.
93MarineHorn
Logos Stick said:

TA-OP said:

C@LAg said:

91AggieLawyer said:

Rapier108 said:

annie88 said:

If by pretty effing good you, mean not worth a ****, you are correct.
They're good at getting intel, granted. They're also very good at lying about intel to the public when it helps a certain political party.
Isosceles_Kramer
No offense to all the professors making the same comment, but this absolutely can move fast. They are not as connected as people think they are really.

There are very large contractors that can throw resources at this, "if" the gov doesn't get in the way. If it drags out, it will be out idiotic officials that cause it. Just my opinion being in the construction world though.
txags92
AG
Isosceles_Kramer said:

No offense to all the professors making the same comment, but this absolutely can move fast. They are not as connected as people think they are really.

There are very large contractors that can throw resources at this, "if" the gov doesn't get in the way. If it drags out, it will be out idiotic officials that cause it. Just my opinion being in the construction world though.
Speaking as a government contractor, if the feds are funding it, government will get in the way. There will be climate groups that see it as a chance to grandstand about the amount of coal exported through the harbor and cars imported through it that will use every trick in the legal code to hamstring the construction process and tie it up in courts to prevent it from being rebuilt quickly. The feds would be far better off backing bonds sold by the state or the city as a way to avoid opening up all the federal environmental legal requirements for federally funded projects.
CanyonAg77
AG
I had an Aggie buddy who was working to control the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. He said they could have stopped it in half the time if the government had gotten the F out of the way.

One example is the Feds stopped control efforts once a day, just to send an ROV down to take photos

Hard to believe we are the same country that produced the Manhattan Project in 2-3 years. Same for the B-29 bomber and all the other aircraft factories. Saw a video once where a spot in Georgia went from farm fields to a factory pushing aircraft out the door in under a year. That including houses, churches, and schools for the workers
txags92
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I had an Aggie buddy who was working to control the Deepwater Horizon oil spill. He said they could have stopped it in half the time if the government had gotten the F out of the way.

One example is the Feds stopped control efforts once a day, just to send an ROV down to take photos

Hard to believe we are the same country that produced the Manhattan Project in 2-3 years. Same for the B-29 bomber and all the other aircraft factories. Saw a video once where a spot in Georgia went from farm fields to a factory pushing aircraft out the door in under a year. That including houses, churches, and schools for the workers
Doing things quickly leaves insufficient opportunities for graft.
Stat Monitor Repairman
I guess they got a crane barge on site now.

Salvage divers gonna be making bank.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
aggiehawg said:

Logos Stick said:

Saw that too. Billions of dollars.

PeePaw is paying for it. 10% goes a long way.

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

basically all they had to do was drop another stack on top of the thing. All of the pencil neck dweebs from DC just needed to get dafuq out of the way and let the industry people figure it out. But that means no constant press conferences wearing neatly-pressed wind breakers.
74OA
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

I guess they got a crane barge on site now.

Salvage divers gonna be making bank.
Yep, this 1000T bad boy is now on the scene at Baltimore. Steel sections will first need cutting up into manageable pieces by hand, though.

CRANE
DIVERS
Madman
AG
some of the ships that won't move for a while. Including two military ships.

https://www.zerohedge.com/military/huge-problem-pentagons-rapid-wartime-response-cargo-ships-trapped-baltimore-after-bridge

Quote:

WZ noted the Algol class vessels have been called into action several times over the last three decades:
Quote:

Algol class have been called upon multiple times since they entered US service. Just five of these ships were responsible for transporting 20 percent of US cargo sent from the United States to Saudi Arabia during the first phase of Operation Desert Shield in the immediate run-up to the First Gulf War. The ships would go on to deliver 13 percent of all cargo that arrived in Saudi Arabia from the United States in the full course of that conflict.
The US military subsequently used Algols to support operations in Somalia and the Balkans in the 1990s, as well as the opening phases of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq in the early 2000s.
Breitbart News' Kristina Wong reported on Thursday that "The Department of Transportation will not say how many National Defense Reserve Fleet Ships are Stuck" in the Baltimore harbor.

Sea Speed
AG
Madman said:

https://www.zerohedge.com/military/huge-problem-pentagons-rapid-wartime-response-cargo-ships-trapped-baltimore-after-bridge

Quote:

WZ noted the Algol class vessels have been called into action several times over the last three decades:
Quote:

Algol class have been called upon multiple times since they entered US service. Just five of these ships were responsible for transporting 20 percent of US cargo sent from the United States to Saudi Arabia during the first phase of Operation Desert Shield in the immediate run-up to the First Gulf War. The ships would go on to deliver 13 percent of all cargo that arrived in Saudi Arabia from the United States in the full course of that conflict.
The US military subsequently used Algols to support operations in Somalia and the Balkans in the 1990s, as well as the opening phases of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq in the early 2000s.
Breitbart News' Kristina Wong reported on Thursday that "The Department of Transportation will not say how many National Defense Reserve Fleet Ships are Stuck" in the Baltimore harbor.

Those ships almost never move. They are ready reserve fleet and are cold stacked. They don't even have enough people on board to stand single seagoing watch, let alone enough to get underway.
Texasclipper
AG
Sea Speed said:

Madman said:

Quote:

Quote:

Those ships almost never move. They are ready reserve fleet and are cold stacked. They don't even have enough people on board to stand single seagoing watch, let alone enough to get underway.
Those are among the fastest cargo ships in the world so they are important, but this is Zero Hedge fearmongering. There are 6 others of that class of ship available quickly. I think we will survive. Plus the Seabees or Corps of Engineers could open a hole in that broken bridge pretty quickly if they really needed.
Sea Speed
AG
I worked on the Watson class LMSRs and it is pretty wild to get a ship that big moving as fast as it would go. But if those ships were really truly needed, it would take a not insignificant amount of time to get them ready to sail and as you mentioned, the channel could be opened up to allow them to sail out of port.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Sea Speed said:

I worked on the Watson class LMSRs and it is pretty wild to get a ship that big moving as fast as it would go. But if those ships were really truly needed, it would take a not insignificant amount of time to get them ready to sail and as you mentioned, the channel could be opened up to allow them to sail out of port.

Based on what I saw in a movie once, you can get a mothballed Iowa class battleship up and running with Rhianna and a handful of 80yesr old vets in the span of an AC/DC montage.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.