Francis Scott key bridge struck by boat

77,636 Views | 829 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by IndividualFreedom
Nanomachines son
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Texasclipper said:

Psycho Bunny said:

To the idiot pilotling the ship

Actually, the harbor pilot could likely not be at fault at all but at minimum his career is likely over and they may try to put him in jail. He is in an advisory role and the captain of the ship is in full control and responsibility.

I feel for the pilot as he could be a victim of being assigned a POS ship with a POS 3rd world captain and crew that failed at the absolutely worst time.

Apparently the ship is from Singapore but the crew was all Indian. Knowing how Indians do maintenance in India, I don't doubt this contributed to the problem.

Looks like it had a catastrophic loss of power and lost steering before it hit the bridge.

Nanomachines son
fc2112 said:

Can you imagine being one of the last cars across that bridge, seeing it collapse right behind you in the rearview mirror?

I'd be home all like...

I'd probably go home for the day. There would be no way I would ever be able to work after that.
Secolobo
AG
sts7049 said:

just amazing that we had a livestream video catch the entire incident
Isn't it?
YokelRidesAgain
AG
fc2112 said:

Can you imagine being one of the last cars across that bridge, seeing it collapse right behind you in the rearview mirror?
Reminds me of the guy who managed to stop just in time during the Sunshine Skyway collapse in 1980 (a similar incident, albeit caused by weather conditions).

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Ghost Mech

Quote:

I'd probably go home for the day. There would be no way I would ever be able to work after that.

And won't have to ever work again once you get the insurance settlement.....
OverSeas AG
AG
Secolobo said:

sts7049 said:

Isn't it?
There are live streams of most of the harbors in the world, been that way for a while.
DON'T TREAD ON ME
OverSeas AG
AG

Can't verify this, but interesting insta-analysis.
DON'T TREAD ON ME
LMCane
if it was deliberate sabotage, it would have been a much better target to take out the bridge across the Potomac in Washington DC and then try to beach the ship in the middle of Georgetown.

this would sever the I-95 corridor and make it very difficult to get around Washington, Maryland and Virginia as the 495 Beltway goes on the top of it

Logos Stick
I see that the power was lost but it seems the boat was headed directly towards the piling from the get go.
fc2112
People with Ag Tags dumb enough to believe this was on purpose

God save us.
BassCowboy33
OverSeas AG said:

This makes a lot of sense if the numbers are correct. Set and drift aren't hard to calculate.
BassCowboy33
fc2112 said:

God save us.
I think they're joking?
YokelRidesAgain
AG
LMCane said:

if it was deliberate sabotage, it would have been a much better target to take out the bridge across the Potomac in Washington DC and then try to beach the ship in the middle of Georgetown.
Uh, a container ship would look just a little out of place heading up the Potomac.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OverSeas AG
AG
Logos Stick said:

I see that the power was lost but it seems the boat was headed directly towards the piling from the get go.
what it appears to me is...

Ship is beginning to turn into the main channel, power goes out, and with the winds blowing (and perhaps Current) it just keeps turning right into the bridge.

Time will tell.
DON'T TREAD ON ME
Tramp96
Heard on the radio driving into work that they pulled two survivors out of the water.

Amazing. Absolutely amazing anyone could survive that plunge. God be praised.
LMCane
One of the courses I took during graduate work was "Decision Making in Crisis".

One of the case studies was the Baltimore Howard Street Tunnel explosion in July 2001. soon to be overtaken by the 9/11 attacks:

literally an entire train load of poisonous gases exploding a few blocks from downtown.
Logos Stick
OverSeas AG said:

Interesting.

Is it typical to sail that close to the pilings when going under a bridge? Id think you'd want to split the middle when nothing is approaching in case you do have an issue.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Reminds me of the boats ramming our ships in the SE Asia sea back around 2016
BassCowboy33
Logos Stick said:

OverSeas AG said:

Interesting.

Is it typical to sail that close to the pilings when going under a bridge? Id think you'd want to split the middle when nothing is approaching in case you do have an issue.
You can get pretty darn close. Look up "Texas Chicken" when you get a chance.
sts7049
AG
OverSeas AG said:

Secolobo said:

sts7049 said:

Isn't it?
There are live streams of most of the harbors in the world, been that way for a while.
yes, that's not a comment suggesting you put on the tin foil lunatic hat. just a comment on our digital society
CanyonAg77
AG
fc2112 said:

BQ78
AG
Depends on where the channel is
BassCowboy33
BQ78 said:

Depends on where the channel is

To add to this for the layman, just because there is water doesn't mean it's accessible by ship. Channels are dredged as underwater roads, and they're typically fairly narrow in scope and not always where you'd think they would be.
LMCane
what's really amazing is that one pylon could stop the ship and hold it in place!

wouldn't the current be pushing it downstream?

and yet there it is held firm in place.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Logos Stick said:

Interesting.

The ship left a terminal NNW of the bridge, went up harbor and turned around to approach for the clearance (because that is where the channel is).

It is a narrow passage; it is what it is. This vessel lost power at an extremely unfortunate time and couldn't get under control before the disaster. The root cause analysis is going to be focused on how dodgy the ship's power system had been prior to the event. Maybe it was foreseeable, maybe it wasn't. We shall see.

Thanks to SeaSpeed and BassCowboy for informed analysis. For all its faults, F16 is really informative on disasters, once you sort through the chaff.
CDUB98
AG
fc2112 said:

God save us.
YouBet
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

bonfarr said:

To my untrained eyes that bridge appears low for the volume of the port. A guy interviewed on the radio said he was on a cruise ship passing under the Key Bridge and it had to take on water to clear it. Is that unusual or is that something that has to be done in a lot of ports where entry/exit is spanned by a bridge?
Not uncommon. Depending on tides and draft, sometimes ships pass under bridges with surprisingly little clearance.

Plus, cruise ships have ENORMOUS sail area. So, they'd definitely need to flood the ballast tanks.

A lot of these bridges were built in eras of smaller ships. I believe Corpus built an entirely new bridge a decade or so back so it's terminal could handle larger ships.

Um, yeah, it's still being built. They had to pause for a year or so because the builder f'ed up and they had to huddle for a while to figure out how to course correct and make it safe.

For those who have never seen it, it's massive. It has to be one of the biggest bridges being built in the US if not the biggest. Granted, there aren't always massive projects like this going on, but still, it's huge.
LMCane
I have taken a Watermark Cruise of Baltimore a few times. Wonder if they will still be doing the 90 minute Key Bridge tour once they remove the debris?

Baltimore Key Bridge Cruise Tour- none scheduled

I Like Mike
AG
The Practical Engineering episode on this will be a good watch.
Secolobo
AG
With seas rising would they have to keep raising bridges?
UAS Ag
This kind of stuff kind of creeps me out since I have to drive over the JFK bridge in in Corpus between the Island and the Bluff every day and MANY times there's a barge going under it as I'm on the bridge...
Ag_07
AG
I mean...Frank Sobotka had been asking for that channel to get dredged for years.
BassCowboy33
YouBet said:

BassCowboy33 said:

bonfarr said:

To my untrained eyes that bridge appears low for the volume of the port. A guy interviewed on the radio said he was on a cruise ship passing under the Key Bridge and it had to take on water to clear it. Is that unusual or is that something that has to be done in a lot of ports where entry/exit is spanned by a bridge?
Not uncommon. Depending on tides and draft, sometimes ships pass under bridges with surprisingly little clearance.

Plus, cruise ships have ENORMOUS sail area. So, they'd definitely need to flood the ballast tanks.

A lot of these bridges were built in eras of smaller ships. I believe Corpus built an entirely new bridge a decade or so back so it's terminal could handle larger ships.

Um, yeah, it's still being built. They had to pause for a year or so because the builder f'ed up and they had to huddle for a while to figure out how to course correct and make it safe.

For those who have never seen it, it's massive. It has to be one of the biggest bridges being built in the US if not the biggest. Granted, there aren't always massive projects like this going on, but still, it's huge.

For Corpus, it's an economic investment. There is fierce competition between them, Houston, and Brownsville. You limit the size of the vessel able to enter, youll fall behind and get left behind.
Logos Stick
This is interesting.

Fenrir
fc2112 said:

I'd be home all like...

Makes me think of the Sunshine Skyway Bridge collapse in Florida in 1980. Ship hit the bridge in a deep fog in the early morning when people were heading to work. A few sections collapsed and people were just driving off the bridge into nothingness.

ETA: just saw Yokel post about it.

That's nightmare fuel.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.