Francis Scott key bridge struck by boat

77,634 Views | 829 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by IndividualFreedom
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Sea Speed said:

I worked on the Watson class LMSRs and it is pretty wild to get a ship that big moving as fast as it would go. But if those ships were really truly needed, it would take a not insignificant amount of time to get them ready to sail and as you mentioned, the channel could be opened up to allow them to sail out of port.

Based on what I saw in a movie once, you can get a mothballed Iowa class battleship up and running with Rhianna and a handful of 80yesr old vets in the span of an AC/DC montage.

That movie is one of my absolute favorites. So out of this world absurd. Love it.
rynning
AG
Anyone want to go on record for guessing the dates that ships will be able to pass through and when the new bridge will open?

I say April 19, 2024 and November 2, 2027.
aggiejayrod
AG
Sea Speed said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Sea Speed said:

I worked on the Watson class LMSRs and it is pretty wild to get a ship that big moving as fast as it would go. But if those ships were really truly needed, it would take a not insignificant amount of time to get them ready to sail and as you mentioned, the channel could be opened up to allow them to sail out of port.

Based on what I saw in a movie once, you can get a mothballed Iowa class battleship up and running with Rhianna and a handful of 80yesr old vets in the span of an AC/DC montage.

That movie is one of my absolute favorites. So out of this world absurd. Love it.

You mean documentary. And how could a documentary be absurd when it's based on real life events?
agent-maroon
AG
Quote:

Was doing a major eyeroll until I got to the AC/DC montage comment and realized that anything is possible if done to that soundtrack!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TexasRebel
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

Sea Speed said:

They just moved an Iowa Class last week.
Burdizzo
AG
rynning said:

Anyone want to go on record for guessing the dates that ships will be able to pass through and when the new bridge will open?

I made my prediction on the channel a few days back - May 1

Bridge Open - Sometime after January 1, 2030, and that is being highly optimistic. This old bridge was basically just a four lane toll road. All the special interests will take this opportunity to add a bunch of fluff - architectural significance, public art, light rail, bike lanes, etc. Not to mention all the permitting and review it will go through.
ChipFTAC01
AG
TexasRebel said:

ChipFTAC01 said:

Sea Speed said:

They just moved an Iowa Class last week.

Which one?
GAC06
AG
https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/iowa-class-battleship-uss-new-jersey-getting-massive-overhaul-209152

Guessing New Jersey
aggiehawg
AG
From Ivan hitting Florida in 2004.

Quote:

But this is a bridge storythe Escambia Bay Bridge. It's the I-10 bridge connecting Escambia and Santa Rosa counties and a vital artery not only for interstate traffic but also for local commerce. We are surrounded by water, and if that bridge is out, as we like to say, "you can't get there from here."

This is what was left after Ivan created a 13-foot storm surge which drove 35-foot waves - for hours - all the way through Pensacola Bay into Escambia Bay. The surging waters were high enough to jostle or completely float the bridge's 250-ton concrete roadway sections normally nestled on pylons above the water.

Quote:

Quote:

.During the hurricane, the impact of the storm surge pushed 58 spans off bridge supports and shifted another 66 spans...
...In the westbound bridge, a total of 12 spans and seven piers were destroyed, and 19 spans were misaligned. In the eastbound bridge, a total of 51 spans and 25 piers were destroyed, and 33 spans were misaligned...
3400 linear feet of bridge went into the water.
Quote:

The first order of business was to cobble together emergency repairs to make at least one span passable. What happened next was absolutely magnificent and a testament to American "git 'er done" with a little bonus for incentive. Plus, they recycled.
Quote:

Quote:

.In Phase 1, the contractor drove 28 new piles prior to lifting existing spans off the eastbound bridge and placing them on missing sections of the westbound bridge. Misaligned westbound spans were adjusted and the westbound bridge was re-opened to one lane of traffic in each direction...
The contract gave them 24 days. They did it in 17.
Quote:

Quote:

In Phase 2, the contractor repaired the eastbound bridge with existing spans and 58 temporary Acrow (metal) panel deck spans. It was re-opened to one lane of traffic in November 2004. Permitted and over-sized vehicles were not allowed to travel on the temporarily repaired bridges...
They were a little ahead on this, too.
Quote:

...Phase 2 of the contract required the eastbound bridge to be repaired and re-opened within 90 days. The contractor opened the eastbound bridge to one lane of traffic in 63 days, 27 days ahead of schedule...

Quote:

Design work started within a year on replacement spans for the crippled older bridges, and, again, contractors and the state were up to the task of working with each other.
Quote:

...Skanksa designed and constructed two replacement bridges to stand 25 feet above water, more than twice the height of the original bridges. The project was completed in two years and eight months. Although Skanska had to work through the challenges of rescheduling the project during multiple hurricanes in 2005 including Katrina the project was completed on time and on budget.

Via Hot Air.

With the proper mindset, it can be done.
Bocephus
AG
aggiehawg said:

From Ivan hitting Florida in 2004.

Quote:

But this is a bridge storythe Escambia Bay Bridge. It's the I-10 bridge connecting Escambia and Santa Rosa counties and a vital artery not only for interstate traffic but also for local commerce. We are surrounded by water, and if that bridge is out, as we like to say, "you can't get there from here."

This is what was left after Ivan created a 13-foot storm surge which drove 35-foot waves - for hours - all the way through Pensacola Bay into Escambia Bay. The surging waters were high enough to jostle or completely float the bridge's 250-ton concrete roadway sections normally nestled on pylons above the water.

Quote:

Quote:

.During the hurricane, the impact of the storm surge pushed 58 spans off bridge supports and shifted another 66 spans...
...In the westbound bridge, a total of 12 spans and seven piers were destroyed, and 19 spans were misaligned. In the eastbound bridge, a total of 51 spans and 25 piers were destroyed, and 33 spans were misaligned...
3400 linear feet of bridge went into the water.
Quote:

The first order of business was to cobble together emergency repairs to make at least one span passable. What happened next was absolutely magnificent and a testament to American "git 'er done" with a little bonus for incentive. Plus, they recycled.
Quote:

Quote:

.In Phase 1, the contractor drove 28 new piles prior to lifting existing spans off the eastbound bridge and placing them on missing sections of the westbound bridge. Misaligned westbound spans were adjusted and the westbound bridge was re-opened to one lane of traffic in each direction...
The contract gave them 24 days. They did it in 17.
Quote:

Quote:

In Phase 2, the contractor repaired the eastbound bridge with existing spans and 58 temporary Acrow (metal) panel deck spans. It was re-opened to one lane of traffic in November 2004. Permitted and over-sized vehicles were not allowed to travel on the temporarily repaired bridges...
They were a little ahead on this, too.
Quote:

...Phase 2 of the contract required the eastbound bridge to be repaired and re-opened within 90 days. The contractor opened the eastbound bridge to one lane of traffic in 63 days, 27 days ahead of schedule...

Quote:

Design work started within a year on replacement spans for the crippled older bridges, and, again, contractors and the state were up to the task of working with each other.
Quote:

...Skanksa designed and constructed two replacement bridges to stand 25 feet above water, more than twice the height of the original bridges. The project was completed in two years and eight months. Although Skanska had to work through the challenges of rescheduling the project during multiple hurricanes in 2005 including Katrina the project was completed on time and on budget.

Via Hot Air.

With the proper mindset, it can be done.

Shanska must not be an American company bc they have no idea how government contracts REALLY work. Either that or they're Florida based and state pride took over.
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
aggiehawg
AG
https://www.usa.skanska.com/what-we-deliver/projects/57210/Escambia-Bay-Bridge-Replacements
CDUB98
AG
The Florida bridge was much easier to fix. The piers just needed to be topped again. It was also all concrete based.

This bridge is a whole different animal and will take longer.

BUT

The point regarding, "money makes things move," is still very true.
Bocephus
AG
aggiehawg said:

https://www.usa.skanska.com/what-we-deliver/projects/57210/Escambia-Bay-Bridge-Replacements

Baltimore needs to use them
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
H2Ag
AG
Baltimore Bridge will. be much harder and more expensive because of proximity to DC and a very blue City. Everybody will want to get in on the grift.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I'll go with 4/20 so the stoners have something else to celebrate with their bong hits.

ETA: bridge prediction. This ain't Florida and much worse problem. Let's say 11/18/29

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
Burdizzo
AG
The Baltimore bridge will probably make the Big Dig look like sidewalk repair
CanyonAg77
AG
rynning said:

Open channel, May 31, 2024.

Bridge open, April 15, 2030
Ag with kids
AG
Channel open: April 27, 2024

First span of bridge opened that allows traffic to flow: June 12, 2027

Final completed bridge opened: May 1, 2030
Bondag
AG
Boats 5/1/24
Traffic 5/1/27

JFABNRGR
AG
Ships 4-17-24
Bridge 10-15-28
Isosceles_Kramer
H2Ag said:

Baltimore Bridge will. be much harder and more expensive because of proximity to DC and a very blue City. Everybody will want to get in on the grift.

This is the answer. Designs absolutely are already being done, "off the record", or have been done, companies are reaching out to say we can do it, and deals being offered. DC will be the problem

ETA my guess:
Channel open by May
Bridge work:
Biden wins election: bridge done 2030 due to grift
Trump: 2027 and it could absolutely be done before that if we really concentrate efforts, end of 2026. 18-24 month build with prefab work.

The pace is determined by the actual effort and lack of grift the government involves itself. Work is easy, they make it difficult
Al Bula
AG
So are the Dims going to bring a new appropriation request for the bridge forward loaded with Ukraine funds 3X larger than the bridge cost so it can be shot down by Republicans?
txags92
AG
Al Bula said:

So are the Dims going to bring a new appropriation request for the bridge forward loaded with Ukraine funds 3X larger than the bridge cost so it can be shot down by Republicans?
Only if Mitch McConnell gets an empty promise from Chuck Schumer for something that will never happen first.
Ellis Wyatt
Biden has decided he doesn't need Congress to act on anything. Just like he doesn't have to follow court orders. His regime is autonomous. He'll just declare it.
aggiehawg
AG
Uh oh, if accurate.

CanyonAg77
AG
The ship didnt sink, did it? Why does it matter if it didn't sink?
aggiehawg
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

There is still wreckage down there that needs to be brought to the surface and then dredging to clear the channel.

Plus, they are not sure the ship's hull is not damaged.

More HERE
Kenneth_2003
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Sink, no. But the bow is hard aground. Possibly just from the sheer mass of the bridge structure that is entangled on the ship.
TexasRebel
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

It crushed a civil structure, and the bridge sank.
one safe place
Trying to be sure most of the contracts are awarded to minority contractors will add a year to the timeline.
agent-maroon
AG
one safe place said:

Trying to be sure most of the contracts are awarded to minority contractors will add a year to the timeline.
And triple/quadruple/quintuple the cost.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Bocephus
AG
agent-maroon said:

one safe place said:

This is how you government
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
Bocephus
AG
Just out of curiosity, wheh a foreign owned boat wrecks a bridge, have we ever built it back with taxpayer money? I get Biden trying to campaign and idiots cheering his illogical thinking, but is there precedence for this?
TAMU ‘98 Ole Miss ‘21
H2Ag
AG
Bocephus said:

agent-maroon said:

one safe place said:

This is how you government
Don't forget the unions!

And the environment!

And we'll have to make sure the new bridge isn't racist,since we already have too many that are.
Mowdy Ag
AG
H2Ag said:

No problem. Dopey Joe is ready to cut the checks and spread the wealth - yours and mine - among his equally sleazy buds.

There's never been a better time to be a Demwit.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.