Francis Scott key bridge struck by boat

77,641 Views | 829 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by IndividualFreedom
Matt_ag98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FIDO*98* said:

Zergling Rush said:

Quote:

I'd probably go home for the day. There would be no way I would ever be able to work after that.

And won't have to ever work again once you get the insurance settlement.....

So you made it safely across the bridge and you think insurance will pay you millions because you saw it in your rear view mirror?

Glad Team Obama/Biden has raised this generation of grifters...what a time to be alive!
UAS Ag
Rapier108 said:

The NTSB chair only goes with the Go Team when it is something extremely serious, although I wish they'd send someone else. She is not a very good public speaker, and the board member's job is to be the liaison between the Go Team and the media.
Well, this is a big event just due to the optics - so I'm sure from a political standpoint the administration pinged the NTSB to ensure the top folks were there - again for the optics.
Madman
AG
Sea Speed said:

Rapier108 said:

The NTSB is probably one of the few government entities I'd say still has some credibility.

Their reports are generally really thorough, i have read a number of them.

Would that be similar to reading all of the Warren report? Like how long did it take?
BassCowboy33
UAS Ag said:

Sea Speed said:

Seriously? An engineering casualty. They lost the plant.
I haven't heard that terminology before regarding a mishap. Is that shipping terminology?

Somewhat of a technical term involving machinery.
CDUB98
AG
This is a big event aside from the optics.
UAS Ag
CDUB98 said:

This is a big event aside from the optics.
Oh I agree 100%.

But, I was commenting that was probably the reason for the head of the NTSB to be there...
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Logos Stick said:

This is interesting.

How long before this gets MAGA related? Did the captain have on a red hat?

Person Not Capable of Pregnancy
nai06
AG
Sea Speed said:

Rapier108 said:

The NTSB is probably one of the few government entities I'd say still has some credibility.

In a weird way, I've actually enjoyed reading through some of their reports because of this exact reason. Back in college, I had a summer job working in a bio chem R&D lab that was attached to a chemical plant. We had regular trainings and certifications based on NTSB reports and the level of detail was fascinating.

It also ensured I had a very healthy amount of respect for proper safety protocols. Because damn, chemical plant mishaps are terrifying.
UAS Ag
Madman said:

Sea Speed said:

Rapier108 said:

Would that be similar to reading all of the Warren report? Like how long did it take?
You can download the preliminary report on that 737 door blowout from this page to get an idea...
CDUB98
AG
CAN Y'ALL PLEASE STOP TRYING TO MAKE THIS POLITICAL!!

DAMN!!
UAS Ag
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Logos Stick said:

This is interesting.

How long before this gets MAGA related? Did the captain have on a red hat?
That map has the FS Key Bridge circled and labeled in red. Definitely MAGA's fault.
OverSeas AG
AG
Water, salt and air are harsh elements. Together they are crazy.

Ships take a lot of maintenance to overcome them.

No idea why power went out, just saying a ship and its environment is not like a car.
DON'T TREAD ON ME
UAS Ag
OverSeas AG said:

Water, salt and air are harsh elements. Together they are crazy.

Ships take a lot of maintenance to overcome them.

No idea why power went out, just saying a ship and its environment is not like a car.
Yeah...no kidding.

I live on N Padre Island and joke all the time that even PVC will rust here. Can't imagine how bad it is for ocean going vessels.
TexAgs91
AG
CDUB98 said:

DAMN!!
America the Beautiful
1776 - 2020
Sea Speed
AG
The El Faro report is heart wrenching
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

joke all the time that even PVC will rust here.
Okay, that's funny.
agracer
AG
fc2112 said:

agracer said:

Sea Speed said:

Power failures or plant failures are not typically referred to as a "casualty".

It's usually called, you know, a POWER FAILURE or loss of some system that allows the ship to maintain steering or propulsion.

If you car had a flat tire you would not call AAA and say "I had a tire casualty".

but maybe with ships its different.

Posts like this are the best part of these tragedies. People with no clue weighing in with their uneducated opinion. Glorious.
So are the a-holes who respond to them.

Reading comprehension much? I specifically stated at the end "maybe with ships its different"
TxAgPreacher
S
CDUB98 said:

DAMN!!

He yells on the politics board. LOL

Unfortunate, but inevitable.

GAC06
AG
agracer said:

fc2112 said:

agracer said:

Sea Speed said:

Power failures or plant failures are not typically referred to as a "casualty".

It's usually called, you know, a POWER FAILURE or loss of some system that allows the ship to maintain steering or propulsion.

If you car had a flat tire you would not call AAA and say "I had a tire casualty".

but maybe with ships its different.

Posts like this are the best part of these tragedies. People with no clue weighing in with their uneducated opinion. Glorious.
So are the a-holes who respond to them.

Reading comprehension much? I specifically stated at the end "maybe with ships its different"

Maybe just take the learning experience
Burdizzo
AG
Total sidetrack....

I read the Wikipedia entry for the bridge. Allegedly because of traffic congestion it was nicknamed the "Car-Strangled Spanner."

With all due to respect to the incident, that made me laugh.
AgResearch
AG
CDUB98 said:

Rapier108 said:

Oh, yeah, the gov't is here to help.
Pete Buttigieg to the RESCUE!!!!
Logos Stick
did not see this posted.... they called in mayday and traffic was halted before it collided.

CanyonAg77
AG
CDUB98 said:

DAMN!!

Spoken like a Concerned Moderate.

KIDDING!
CDUB98
AG
Something I have yet to see explained:

The construction company halted traffic onto the bridge presumably from the mayday call.

Why were there still people on the bridge working? Why were they not immediately evacuated?
Rapier108
CDUB98 said:

The construction company halted traffic onto the bridge presumably from the mayday call.

Why were there still people on the bridge working? Why were they not immediately evacuated?
Perhaps they simply couldn't get off the bridge fast enough. If they didn't have a vehicle, no way they could have run fast enough to get off the part which fell.
"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill
taxpreparer
AG
Allision. I just learned this word early this morning. I have never seen it before today
CDUB98
AG
Rapier108 said:

CDUB98 said:

Perhaps they simply couldn't get off the bridge fast enough. If they didn't have a vehicle, no way they could have run fast enough to get off the part which fell.
Fully agree with this possibility. Just didn't feel like starting to type out scenarios in my first post.
txags92
AG
CDUB98 said:

May not have had time to actually get them off the bridge. Having 1-2 minutes to stop traffic driving onto the bridge is doable, but being able to get a bunch of people who are presumably on foot aware of the problem, and able to get completely off the bridge is a big ask.
UAS Ag
Burdizzo said:

Total sidetrack....

I read the Wikipedia entry for the bridge. Allegedly because of traffic congestion it was nicknamed the "Car-Strangled Spanner."

With all due to respect to the incident, that made me laugh.
Hopefully they improve that issue when they rebuild the bridge...if they can. I'm pretty sure that area is going to be congested no matter what...
UAS Ag
CanyonAg77 said:

CDUB98 said:

DAMN!!

Spoken like a Concerned Moderate.

KIDDING!
So, Vote Biden?
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

Hopefully they improve that issue when they rebuild the bridge...if they can.
Depends on what is going on at the other two ends. They may not be able to handle increased traffic loading. So, all you'd do is squeeze more cars onto the bridge to park.

I do recognize that may be what you mean by, "if they can."
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Nanomachines son said:

fc2112 said:

Can you imagine being one of the last cars across that bridge, seeing it collapse right behind you in the rearview mirror?

I'd be home all like...

I'd probably go home for the day. There would be no way I would ever be able to work after that.

But how are you getting home?
txags92
AG
Definitely Not A Cop said:

Nanomachines son said:

fc2112 said:

Can you imagine being one of the last cars across that bridge, seeing it collapse right behind you in the rearview mirror?

I'd be home all like...

But how are you getting home?
The long way.
I Am A Critic
Foreverconservative said:

Well leave it to the local idiots to turn a very good information based thread with good learning points inseted by people who actually have direct knowledge into the ins and outs of this type of vessel, into a total crapshow as usual.....
Go back and look at your earliest posts on this thread. It's like you're completely unaware that you were leading the charge of dumbasses.
Username checks out.
Rapier108
NTSB press briefing coming up shortly.

"If you will not fight for right when you can easily win without blood shed; if you will not fight when your victory is sure and not too costly; you may come to the moment when you will have to fight with all the odds against you and only a precarious chance of survival. There may even be a worse case. You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory, because it is better to perish than to live as slaves." - Sir Winston Churchill

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.