Francis Scott key bridge struck by boat

77,651 Views | 829 Replies | Last: 19 days ago by IndividualFreedom
Sea Speed
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jt2hunt said:

How large of an insurance carrier do you have to be to underwrite coverage for a ship like this one? This has to be a very bad day for this insurance company.

They will be fine, I promise.
TyHolden
AG
Biden said the government would pay for it. 10% to the big guy.
annie88
AG
Yeah, I said that. Literally, the first thing is in my post and I hope it isn't but I think a better statement would have been to say we are still investigating at this point and will have more information to come.

If asked a direct question about terrorism, they should've reiterated that they're still looking into the causes. Just saying there's no specific evidence seems to be leading towards a conclusion, but listening to it again maybe he's just reiterating that. I wouldn't have approached the terrorism issue, unless asked.

I was in PR for years, just my opinion.

(I'm going to change the original post to the original tweet rather than the guys commentary on it to make it more neutral.)
Currently a happy listless vessel and deplorable. #FJB TRUMP 2024.
Stat Monitor Repairman
As somebody already mentioned above, US environmental regulations have required that ships burn ULSD or ultra low sulfur diesel while inport.

Typically ships run HFO / Bunker fuel all the time. But when they go into a US port they are required to switch fuel supply to ULSD.

When you are operating ships systems, switching anything related to fuel supply can cause problems due to mechanical failure or human error.

This was is a known risk when environmental regulators decided it was a good idea to require ships to switch fuel while underway.

Doing so is the opposite of good seamanship which dictates if it's working, don't mess with it unless you have to. This is especially true when you talking about jockeying with fuel or fuel systems while underway. It doesn't make sense to mess with fuel systems onboard a ship unnecessarily.

Is this what happened here? We don't know but it's within the realm of possibility.
The Fife
Sea Speed said:

The Fife said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Logos Stick said:

This is interesting.

The guess is traffic gets diverted to Norfolk and Charleston.
Wouldn't surprise me, a new terminal just opened up within the last year or so in Charleston / North Charleston.

I was talking to a Charleston pilot about the politics of Charleston container terminals and it is wild to me that they built the container terminal without rail access. I cant recall the bridge name but it is always jam packed with trucks. Going to significantly reduce the life of that bridge. Is it any better since they opened the one in North Charleston?
You're right, the one in Mt Pleasant (SCPA Wando) isn't connected to rail. There aren't even any lines that are close.

Westrock Paper Mill is closed that site is going to be bought by the Port Authority in order to expand operations. It's a bit farther up the Cooper River from the new port (Hugh Leatherman) and has great rail access already.
https://scspa.com/news/sc-ports-to-buy-westrock-site-to-expand-port-capacity-at-north-charleston-terminal/

So I guess that'll make four ports within close proximity to each other.
Stat Monitor Repairman
Also note, one key fact will be whether there was a scheduled crew change of engineering personnel that took place in Baltimore.

You got new people coming onboard you at. higher risk of human error.

Many accidents have been caused by crew change scenario where the crew member wasn't fully up to speed and made a critical mistake.

In this case, maybe fuel system related or something to trip the generators offline.
one safe place
MAROON said:

MV Dali Hitting Key Bridge in Baltimore - Track and Video Analysis (youtube.com)

pretty good video and analysis
Informative video, thanks for posting.
TexasRebel
AG
Ugh. Switching fuel sources on a critical diesel engine is a disaster in itself.

Just a tiny bit of air and you're done. Even self-priming injectors are going to stumble.

If this was caused by ULSD regs, I hope the lawmakers are found liable for this one.
aggiehawg
AG
jt2hunt said:

How large of an insurance carrier do you have to be to underwrite coverage for a ship like this one? This has to be a very bad day for this insurance company.
Usually Lloyds of London and their consortion have reinsurance upon reinsurance upon reinsurance. Limits the liabilities for each. Which means the primary pays out their policy limit, then the next in line pays out their policy limits and so on down the line, or there is a percentage agreed to between them so every insurer gets to take a bite out of the turd sandwich. Or at least that used to be how maritime policies were handled. There's almost always more than one insurer involved.
Stat Monitor Repairman
This fuel switching issue is a known risk.

Some experts have suggested that we were on the clock so far as a major incident attributable to fuel switching.
flakrat
AG
Are US ports the only ports that require switching to ULSD?
Sea Speed
AG
Stat Monitor Repairman said:

Some experts have suggested that we were on the clock so far as a major incident attributable to fuel switching.

All the chief engineers i talk to hate it. Go figure.
Sea Speed
AG
flakrat said:

Almost certain some euro ones as well but not 100%
Logos Stick
Paw says he took the train over the bridge many times:

TXAggie2011
AG
Sea Speed said:

flakrat said:

Almost certain some euro ones as well but not 100%
Ships are required to use lower sulphur fuel across the entire Mediterranean. Or at least will be next year or thereabouts.
aggiehawg
AG
Logos Stick said:

Paw says he took the train over the bridge many times:

He just has an obsession with having to personalize everything, even if he just pulls this crap out of his butt.
atmtws
AG
TyHolden said:

Biden said the government taxpayers would pay for it. 10% to the big guy.
FIFY
AgBandsman
AG
Rapier108 said:

annie88 said:

It may very well not be terrorism, and I hope it's not, but to make that statement so quickly, just hours later, seems ill-advised.

It's funny how the media these days tend to amplify certain things and downplay others, depending on the outcome they seemingly want.

For example, the color of mass shooters seems to have become a very big thing.

Probably because there is zero evidence it was terrorism.

Not every bad event is a deliberate act. Accidents do happen, even really big ones.
It's barely been 12 hours since the accident. I don't see how you honestly believe you have all available knowledge to conclusively say what the cause is or isn't,

Even the NTSB takes months or years to write their accident reports.
74OA
AG
"Speaking to reporters at this morning's news conference, Wes Moore, Maryland's governor (D), stated that the reason for the incident was due to a loss of power aboard MV Dali prior to its collision with the bridge, with crew members issuing a warning that power was lost."

The latest: BRIDGE
Stat Monitor Repairman
Sea Speed said:

Stat Monitor Repairman said:

All the chief engineers i talk to hate it. Go figure.
Agreed, messing with the fuel system in any way is begging for trouble.

Some engineers will zip-tie or safety wire fuel supply valve alignment so that nobody inadvertently does something to cut fuel supply. Any change in that valve alignment requires approval of the chief engineer.
TXAggie2011
AG
AgBandsman said:

Rapier108 said:

annie88 said:

It may very well not be terrorism, and I hope it's not, but to make that statement so quickly, just hours later, seems ill-advised.

It's funny how the media these days tend to amplify certain things and downplay others, depending on the outcome they seemingly want.

For example, the color of mass shooters seems to have become a very big thing.

Probably because there is zero evidence it was terrorism.

Not every bad event is a deliberate act. Accidents do happen, even really big ones.
It's barely been 12 hours since the accident. I don't see how you honestly believe you have all available knowledge to conclusively say what the cause is or isn't,

Even the NTSB takes months or years to write their accident reports.
Even if the special agent in charge had just taken the position, what the heck is "suspicious?"

And what's "irresponsible" by saying they have no information suggesting any relationship to terrorism?
Bondag
AG
TexasRebel said:

Ugh. Switching fuel sources on a critical diesel engine is a disaster in itself.

Just a tiny bit of air and you're done. Even self-priming injectors are going to stumble.

If this was caused by ULSD regs, I hope the lawmakers are found liable for this one.
They won't be.
TexasAGGIEinAR
Sea Speed said:

The El Faro report is heart wrenching
I just went down that rabbit hole. Harrowing to read the audio transcripts. I can't even imagine.
Hogs suck, Horns suck, everyone else I can deal with.
Logos Stick
This is an interesting thread by a guy who claims to be a civil eng who deals with bridge design and construction. Says its gonna be a while in post 9 of his thread:

Quote:

Baltimore is going to be without a critical bridge for a long time.

Tampa's Skyway bridge took 7 years, but this will be done sooner, hopefully much sooner.

What needs to be done? Well, a lot.

Can the approach spans be salvaged?

full thread:

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Sea Speed said:

So weird, I had a long reply to ThunderCougarFalconBird asking me a question and when I hit reply it said the content was unavailable to me. Sucks because it was a pretty long one.
it was my post about the pressure between crews/owners/etc and delays to maintenance, right? That post got disappeared. Think it got caught up in a slew of pointlessly political posts that got disappeared as well. Sorry man.
fc2112
Curious how they were able to "stop traffic" going onto the bridge. There are no automated barricades or gates at the entrance at either end.

There are electronic message boards. Maybe they just put up STOP.
Sea Speed
AG
Yea and crews hiding things. I'll type it out later.
TexasRebel
AG
fc2112 said:

Curious how they were able to "stop traffic" going onto the bridge. There are no automated barricades or gates at the entrance at either end.

Toll bridge.
fc2112
No toll booths or gates per Google maps.
TXAggie2011
AG
TexasRebel said:

fc2112 said:

Toll bridge.
It is a toll bridge but I don't remember there being classic toll booths on it.

Either way, I think most major bridges can be closed off rather quickly whether or not its obvious how they do it. There is a Maryland Transportation Authority office right at the base of the bridge. I'm sure they can do it.
Fall92
AG
Vessels like these are insured through Protection & Indemnity Clubs. There are 12 in the International Group and this one was entered with Britannia. The IG Group pools losses at various levels beginning at $10M. They are mutuals but are reinsured via Lloyds and other markets. This vessel was classed by NK.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
YouBet
AG
BassCowboy33 said:

YouBet said:

BassCowboy33 said:

bonfarr said:

To my untrained eyes that bridge appears low for the volume of the port. A guy interviewed on the radio said he was on a cruise ship passing under the Key Bridge and it had to take on water to clear it. Is that unusual or is that something that has to be done in a lot of ports where entry/exit is spanned by a bridge?
Not uncommon. Depending on tides and draft, sometimes ships pass under bridges with surprisingly little clearance.

Plus, cruise ships have ENORMOUS sail area. So, they'd definitely need to flood the ballast tanks.

A lot of these bridges were built in eras of smaller ships. I believe Corpus built an entirely new bridge a decade or so back so it's terminal could handle larger ships.

Um, yeah, it's still being built. They had to pause for a year or so because the builder f'ed up and they had to huddle for a while to figure out how to course correct and make it safe.

For those who have never seen it, it's massive. It has to be one of the biggest bridges being built in the US if not the biggest. Granted, there aren't always massive projects like this going on, but still, it's huge.

For Corpus, it's an economic investment. There is fierce competition between them, Houston, and Brownsville. You limit the size of the vessel able to enter, youll fall behind and get left behind.

Absolutely. For others, 50% of the nations exported oil is now coming out of Corpus where this bridge is being constructed. Quite important. They are building a significantly taller bridge next to the current one.
YouBet
AG
Alerting authorities seems to track with the video. You can see traffic stop before the ship ultimately hits the bridge as there is none in the video.
Stat Monitor Repairman
In a scenario like this you are looking at what caused the initial loss of power.

Power was restored but then they lost power again for some unknown reason.

The second loss of power was likely attributable to human error.

Engineers probably panicked and you had people scrambling to find the issue and restore power, maybe doing opposite things that conflicted with each other and caused electrical power to trip off line again.

Switching between main power and emergency power is not something that you typically want to do while in restricted waters because it's easy to mess up causing a subsequent failure. Switching power while underway can cause problems, and especially so if you trying to recover from total loss of electrical power.

So you got to wonder if they were functional on emergency power with steering restored and might have been better off staying that way, getting stabilized and out restricted waters before they started trying to fix the issue and restore main power.

My guess is that they scrambled to restore power then tried to get back on main power and something went wrong.

On the bridge they were probably in panic mode because a lot of your emergency power is designed to only power critical systems. So theres a possibility might have gone dark on the bridge with some of their systems, with the pilot yelling at the captain and the captain yelling at the crew and engineers to get it fixed asap.

Thats how I would imagine this could've gone down.
TXAggie2011
AG
The Key Bridge is (was) pretty tall, I think. Its long, long, long so its not a steep grade like you see over the Houston Ship Channel or whatever.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.