Francis Scott key bridge struck by boat

77,725 Views | 829 Replies | Last: 20 days ago by IndividualFreedom
Bag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
aggiehawg
AG
Rapier108 said:

rynning said:

Bruce Almighty said:

If someone was going to hack the ship, I don't think they'd do it at 1:30 am.
Common sense tells us this wasn't a terror attack.
Sadly, common sense is not common anymore.
Came across a good saying recently:

Common sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden.
UAS Ag
AgResearch said:

TREX01 said:

It's Baltimore, they knocked down the Key bridge so they can replace it with whoever penned the Black National Anthem
Beau Biden Memorial Bridge
It's Maryland, not Delaware.
SPF250
AG
In before "Never let a crises go to waste." Can't wait to see how the money gets thrown around.
FTAG 2000
AG
It amazes me that anyone thinks a ship that size can take evasive maneuvers in that short window. It's not an F1 car.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
TREX01 said:

It's Baltimore, they knocked down the Key bridge so they can replace it with whoever penned the Black National Anthem
James Weldon Johnson, and that dude was a registered Republican, so you can forget about that.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
CDUB98
AG
rynning said:

Who wants to bet the bridge will have a new name when it's rebuilt?
Logos Stick
Lots of vehicles go to that harbor.

Per Reuters:

"The port handles imports and exports for major automakers including:

Nissan
Toyota
General Motors
Volvo Car
Jaguar Land Rover and Volkswagen including luxury models for Audi, Lamborghini and Bentley"

YokelRidesAgain
AG
SPF250 said:

In before "Never let a crises go to waste." Can't wait to see how the money gets thrown around.
Uh, they're going to build a new bridge. Preferably with a wider channel and better construction.

What was, until yesterday, a 10 minute drive from one side of the harbor to the other for hazardous materials is now a two and a half hour detour around the entire Baltimore metro. That's not sustainable.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sea Speed
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

It amazes me that anyone thinks a ship that size can take evasive maneuvers in that short window. It's not an F1 car.

The vast vast majority of people know absolutely nothing about ships and shipping and don't realize that almost everything they own and buy is touched by shipping.
sts7049
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

SPF250 said:

Uh, they're going to build a new bridge. Preferably with a wider channel and better construction.

What was, until yesterday, a 10 minute drive from one side of the harbor to the other for hazardous materials is now a two and a half hour detour around the entire Baltimore metro. That's not sustainable.
yes, and it's going to be in the billions for sure. but there is no viable alternative.
SPF250
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

SPF250 said:

Of course a new bridge. I'm talking about all the other regulations, grift etc.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

Preferably with a wider channel and better construction.
Obviously, the channel was plenty wide if the ship did not run aground before hitting the pier.

As for bridge construction, it was fine. The total collapse is simply a function of the type of bridge it was, not due to anything inherently wrong.

NOW, if you're talking about building barrier piers around the bridge piers, yeah, that should have been done a long time ago, and most new bridges today do have them.
CDUB98
AG
Quote:

yes, and it's going to be in the billions for sure. but there is no viable alternative.
It's impossible to do a bridge of this scale under a billion now.
bcosf
Was there proper fendering around the bridge coulmns? Thats a lot of mass to stop, but fendering could have deflected the boat.
CDUB98
AG
bcosf said:

Was there proper fendering around the bridge coulmns? Thats a lot of mass to stop, but fendering could have deflected the boat.
Ehhh, I think if there was, it would not have hit the bridge pier.
fc2112
If the support columns are still ok (except for the one hit), might not take all that long to build the bridge back on them. The columns in the channel would seem the hardest part to build.
CDUB98
AG
fc2112 said:

If the support columns are still ok (except for the one hit), might not take all that long to build the bridge back on them. The columns in the channel would seem the hardest part to build.
No engineering firm worth their salt would ever touch a pier hit like this. I wouldn't either.
The Fife
BassCowboy33 said:

Logos Stick said:

This is interesting.

The guess is traffic gets diverted to Norfolk and Charleston.
Wouldn't surprise me, a new terminal just opened up within the last year or so in Charleston / North Charleston.
BigRobSA
YokelRidesAgain said:

Think I found the newest new Bucees location.
double aught
AG
YokelRidesAgain said:

Fenrir said:

ETA: just saw Yokel post about it.

That's nightmare fuel.
You want some nightmare fuel, I read a story about this doc who lived right across the way from the bridge when it collapsed and said, hey, I gotta see that. So he gets his kid to come with him and they park at the edge of the massive traffic jam and proceed to walk all the way up the collapsed bridge to the edge, where they proceed to hang around for an hour or so until the cops finally tell them to leave.

(BTW, as evident from the photo, the roadway of the old Skyway was steel, with gaps where you could look down 180 feet to the water below. It was scary as hell to drive over, and walking up that thing (even without the small issue with MOST OF IT BEING GONE) is a whole lot of nope nope nope.)

Kid still has nightmares 40 years later.
I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge years ago. At least at the time, you could look down through the WOODEN SLATS that you walked upon and see all the way down to the East River. It was not a pleasurable stroll.
Stonegateag85
Noted sex trafficker and smut peddler.
CanyonAg77
AG
Quote:

Crashing into a bridge to somewhere inconvenience D.C. commuters? It's dumb.
Slowing down the DC bureaucracy would benefit the whole country.

The best thing terrorists could do to harm America, is to keep DC at full capacity.
CanyonAg77
AG
AggieZUUL said:

how would a power outage cause a container ship to turn sharply? There's gotta be electrical redudancy in place, power backups in the bridge... A steering wheel that can actually be steered? The whole power outage thing looks like a coverup for what was an intentional hit on the bridge. By the way, no bridge should ever lose the whole span like that. it should have breakpoints that sever under massive force to prevent what we're seeing. Lives were lost due to this poor design.

Dude. The engine quit. You can steer all you want, but with no prop turning, the ship is going where the wind and tide take it.

And I'm not an engineer, and I know you're full of beans regarding bridge design.
Pro Sandy
AG
Just listened to the governor's update on WCBM.

Ship alerted authorities prior to allision that they had a casualty. Traffic was stopped onto the bridge. It is believed the only victims (2 recovered, one in hospital one out, 6 being searched for) were a work crew fixing potholes.

Bridge was up to code.

All ship traffic in/out of port of Baltimore is stopped.

FBI reported no creditable threat or evidence of a terror attack.
JFABNRGR
AG
CDUB98 said:

Quote:

Whats the over under on time to replace?

I am going with 5+ years after award.
jabberwalkie09
AG

Sal at What's Going on With Shipping takes a look at the AIS route.
AgResearch
AG
double aught said:

I walked across the Brooklyn Bridge years ago. At least at the time, you could look down through the WOODEN SLATS that you walked upon and see all the way down to the East River. It was not a pleasurable stroll.
This one crosses the Missouri river into Nebraska. Not a fun drive listening to the metal panels clank together while watching the river under you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burt_County_Missouri_River_Bridge
GAC06
AG
Quote:

Ship alerted authorities prior to allision that they had a casualty. Traffic was stopped onto the bridge.

Wow, that's pleasantly surprising
CDUB98
AG
JFABNRGR said:

CDUB98 said:

Quote:

Whats the over under on time to replace?

I am going with 5+ years after award.
Opinion only, but 4-5 years to bridge completion and use is not unrealistic. Money could possibly get it down to the 3-4 year time frame.

Oddly, the largest time suck will be the soil/ground investigation and piling/foundation design, likely.
Sea Speed
AG
The Fife said:

BassCowboy33 said:

Logos Stick said:

This is interesting.

The guess is traffic gets diverted to Norfolk and Charleston.
Wouldn't surprise me, a new terminal just opened up within the last year or so in Charleston / North Charleston.

I was talking to a Charleston pilot about the politics of Charleston container terminals and it is wild to me that they built the container terminal without rail access. I cant recall the bridge name but it is always jam packed with trucks. Going to significantly reduce the life of that bridge. Is it any better since they opened the one in North Charleston?
Sea Speed
AG
Pro Sandy said:

Ship alerted authorities prior to allision that they had a casualty. Traffic was stopped onto the bridge. It is believed the only victims (2 recovered, one in hospital one out, 6 being searched for) were a work crew fixing potholes.

Bridge was up to code.

Sounds like the pilot wasn't an idiot at all. Who would have thunk it.
YellowPot_97
AG
AggieZUUL said:

how would a power outage cause a container ship to turn sharply? There's gotta be electrical redudancy in place, power backups in the bridge... A steering wheel that can actually be steered? The whole power outage thing looks like a coverup for what was an intentional hit on the bridge. By the way, no bridge should ever lose the whole span like that. it should have breakpoints that sever under massive force to prevent what we're seeing. Lives were lost due to this poor design.

If only the experts and professionals would listen to non-engineers and non-captains like yourself when designing bridges and boats. You obviously have all the answers.
UAS Ag
Pro Sandy said:

Bridge was up to code.

They had a casualty? Someone seriously injured or dead?
CIAggie
AG
Zergling Rush said:

Of course the crazy comes out immediately..... Is there any chance that hacking a ship can be done?

They have been hacked in the past; but based on the power outage before and them reporting that they lost control, that seems unlikely.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.