*** DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS *** (Spoilers)

46,684 Views | 645 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sea Speed
bigjohn1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Enjoyed the movie.

To echo other's thoughts on here: not best MCU movie, but a middle-of-the-road MCU flick is still entertaining and worth seeing.

I thought the premise and way Raimi handled it were spot-on for a Doctor Strange film. Dr. Strange comics were, well...strange. The stories and effects in both titled films are strange as well. I mean it IS his name after all.

Raimi's touch of horror (and I do say touch, nowhere near as bad as some make it out to be) was great and welcomed.

One thought for future possibilities:

With Krasinski showing up as Reed Richards, if we get a FF reboot in MCU, do we get an Emily Blunt Sue Storm-Richards??? Yes please!
KCup17
AG
But getting glimpses of her dark side and actually watching her give herself over to it and seeing her unraveling happen are 2 different things. The Wanda we get in MOM isn't the same Wanda we leave at the end of WandaVision. The fact that we the audience don't get to see that transformation is a disservice to us.

From Wanda seemingly coming to terms with her loss to then becoming this cold blooded murderer was a really quick switch without a lot of background. It's like they swept that all under the rug with the explanation of "Well she had the Darkhold."
LB12Diamond
AG
Why the 3rd eye? Dark Hold just causes things like that?
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
LB41Diamond said:

Why the 3rd eye? Dark Hold just causes things like that?

In a lot of eastern philosophies, the 3rd eye is a sign of higher intelligence, perception into the spiritual realm or a sign of enlightenment which the darkhold could represent. When Wanda destroyed all the dark holds (supposedly) Strange paused and although he said it was good that Wanda destroyed all of the darkholds, he didn't really say it with a lot of enthusiasm or conviction in the same way a high functioning addict who has good insight into his problem says "oh yeah, it's probably good you flushed all my heroin down the toilet" while secretly wondering when he's going to get his next hit. He's probably attached to it spiritually in some sense.

If for some reason the third eye goes blind, it'll probably set up some philosophical questions about how's it going to be in this semi charmed life if you decide to step back from that ledge and graduate.
AMW2010
AG
Saw it last night. About 20 people in the theater.
I didn't hate it, didn't just love it. I thought it was a very solid movie.

I've never seen a "rami" movie other than spider man's to my knowledge. So I never understand all the comments about his style, but I enjoyed it for the "horror" vibes.

3 scenes that stick out is when Wanda step on the trap and gets surround by the mirrors and then pops out of the gong.
When Wanda is walking in the tunnel as they are shutting the flood gates on her.
And the first time she takes over the body and dream walks and she's walking in the kitchen and the reflection looks at her.

Those 3 scenes were really well done.

The biggest reaction to me was when Wanda jump scares to snap Professor X next. She also looked different in that one scene than any other in the movie, looked like an actual witch.

My favorite scene of the entire movie was between Dr strange and sinister strange… will call it the "music fight". Being a music teacher, I was like this is so awesome!!! I was getting lots of mickeys phillharmagic vibes / Fantasia.

Over all the soundtrack of the film was enjoyable. The horror chords/notes were on point.

My biggest gripe and this seems to be the same with all super hero movies, is they "kill off" the villain. I know the said Olsen signed a extended contract… but until I see other wise, she is dead.
I don't mind the Illuminati deaths because those are multiverse characters. That's the perk of a multiverse, you can have the same character die over and over. I don't wanna see our main MCU universe characters get killed off

Gigem314
AG
KCup17 said:

But getting glimpses of her dark side and actually watching her give herself over to it and seeing her unraveling happen are 2 different things. The Wanda we get in MOM isn't the same Wanda we leave at the end of WandaVision. The fact that we the audience don't get to see that transformation is a disservice to us.

From Wanda seemingly coming to terms with her loss to then becoming this cold blooded murderer was a really quick switch without a lot of background. It's like they swept that all under the rug with the explanation of "Well she had the Darkhold."
While it would have been nice to get a scene or two to tie things in, there are glimpses of it it WandaVision. She doesn't end with coming to terms with her loss, the end-credit scene of her in the cabin going through the book shows the opposite...that she's still searching, and using dark magic to do so.

She coldly holds the people of Westview hostage with very little thought to it until Vision finally gets through to her. She also teases it when she confronts the troops and moves their weapons.

I would liked to have seen more, but I don't fee like it was a 180 switch either. WandaVision showed the potential path she was capable of going down.
Gigem314
AG
Quote:

Over all the soundtrack of the film was enjoyable. The horror chords/notes were on point.
That was incredible. Especially the chords with Wanda. Having recently seen The Batman, I can't think of two films that did a better job of using music/sound to set the mood of a scene. That was great.
KCup17
AG
I totally forgot about that end credit scene tbh.

I think maybe a 2-3 min scene of her with the Darkhold would have sufficed. Would have given fans who didn't see WandaVision a little more understanding and given us an opportunity to see the transformation.

I'm also not completely certain that this Wanda is dead.
Quad Dog
AG
Quote:

My biggest gripe and this seems to be the same with all super hero movies, is they "kill off" the villain. I know the said Olsen signed a extended contract… but until I see other wise, she is dead.
As I told my son when we left the movie. In movies if you don't see a dead body, then they aren't dead.
Sex Panther
AG
To all those wondering... trust me.

She aint dead
Sex Panther
AG
AMW2010 said:

I've never seen a "rami" movie other than spider man's to my knowledge. So I never understand all the comments about his style, but I enjoyed it for the "horror" vibes.

3 scenes that stick out is when Wanda step on the trap and gets surround by the mirrors and then pops out of the gong.
When Wanda is walking in the tunnel as they are shutting the flood gates on her.
And the first time she takes over the body and dream walks and she's walking in the kitchen and the reflection looks at her.

Those 3 scenes were really well done.

Those were all "Raimi" style
Gigem314
AG
KCup17 said:

I totally forgot about that end credit scene tbh.

I think maybe a 2-3 min scene of her with the Darkhold would have sufficed. Would have given fans who didn't see WandaVision a little more understanding and given us an opportunity to see the transformation.

I'm also not completely certain that this Wanda is dead.
Yeah it was quick, but definitely set the tone for MoM. Easy to miss.

I think any additional time they could have given Wanda would have been great, and that's a testament to how much depth they gave her character in WandaVision.

I don't think Wanda is dead either. They've done way too much with her character to just put things to an end. I'm more curious about how she resurfaces and deals with the fallout from MoM.
C@LAg
No body means no death

Would fit the general comics narrative to have Dr. Doom find her and be using her to expand his magic knowledge for the fantastic four movie. Which is where she would likely show up next.
rhutton125
AG
I saved a plot leak Reddit thread from August 2021 and it's very interesting. This person undoubtedly saw an earlier cut of this film, which had things in a different order and included some different cameos. This was before the more recent reshoots. I can't find the post now but I'm sure it's not too hard to find for those interested.

Major differences:
- opening sequence was Mordo (616) trying to kill Wanda, but she defeats and beheads him.
- one of the Illuminati was Balder the Brave, I think in lieu of Reed Richards
- this previous cut of the film showed Wanda buried in the rubble after and some type of hint that she survived, a finger twitch or some residual red magic or something, can't remember
- the Kamar Taj siege was later in the film

Overall I think what we got is better than what that guy saw 9 months ago. It's better to leave Mordo out there than definitively kill him off in a cold open. Better to have Illuminati that we recognized. Better to not have Deadpool in a post-credits IMO (as some rumors promised). Better to leave the door open as to whether Wanda survived or not.

Edit: Here's a post that links to the August 2021 post: https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/uf8i50/expect_disappointment_and_youll_never_be/
schmendeler
AG
Why did they stay at Kamar Taj after he told Wanda that they were there? Why not run away? Spend some time trying to help her with her ability and then go from there? The whole battle there seemed pointless to me.
Quad Dog
AG
schmendeler said:

Why did they stay at Kamar Taj after he told Wanda that they were there? Why not run away? Spend some time trying to help her with her ability and then go from there? The whole battle there seemed pointless to me.
I was concerned about the ability of many sorcerers to defend off The Scarlet Witch. If she defeated them so easily, what are they capable of defending the Earth from exactly?
C@LAg
Quad Dog said:

schmendeler said:

I was concerned about the ability of many sorcerers to defend off The Scarlet Witch. If she defeated them so easily, what are they capable of defending the Earth from exactly?
plot force.
Gigem314
AG
Quad Dog said:

schmendeler said:

MBAR
AG
For those remarking about Wanda's lack of growth from Wandavision, remember Wandavision was supposed to happen AFTER this movie before COVID.
TCTTS
AG
I've heard people make this claim over the past week or so, here and on a couple podcasts, so I did some research yesterday and can't find any evidence of it actually being true.

In the Multiverse if Madness was originally set for May 7, 2021. That was the earliest announced released date, before the pandemic was ever a thing. Then, on the Disney+ side of things, pre-pandemic, The Falcon and the Winter Soldier was originally set for the second half of 2020, which was to be followed by WandaVision in spring 2021, BEFORE Multiverse of Madness.

The pandemic hit and Falcon and the Winter Soldier then moved back to spring 2021, while WandaVision was moved up to January 2021. So those two series switched order, and then Multiverse of Madness and No Way Home switched order, but those were the only two order changes.

That, and I just can't think of any other storyline that would have made sense with WandVision following Multiverse of Madness. Each story is absolutely integral to what each project is, and they compliment each other so well. All things considered, there's just no way both projects were re-written that extensively in that amount of time.
maroon barchetta
It would make zero sense for Wandavision to follow MoM.
texasaggie04
AG
This movie is bottom tier for me, no desire to watch again. Maybe because I'm not a horror fan or can't name a single movie by Raimi, but I couldn't figure out what was the point. One minute it's a bad 80s slasher film, the next minute it's a zombie movie. Maybe that was the point, to fit the theme of a multiverse...?

Various trailers and speculation about the Illuminati were all but pointless, as it seems to have been no more than a cameo to appease the masses.

For me, this felt the kind of movie that would have been a Netflix exclusive with poor reviews except it featured marvel characters so it'll make a billion dollars.
schmendeler
AG
I thought zombie Dr Strange was hilarious
C@LAg
schmendeler said:

I thought zombie Dr Strange was hilarious
did you see his funny bone?
Not a Bot
AG
TCTTS said:

and then Multiverse of Madness and No Way Home switched order, but those were the only two order changes.

That, and I just can't think of any other storyline that would have made sense with WandVision following Multiverse of Madness. Each story is absolutely integral to what each project is, and they compliment each other so nicely. All things considered, there's just no way both projects were re-written that extensively in that amount of time.

I suppose this is why the plot of Multiverse of Madness was not centered around the No Way Home spell as many of us assumed it would be. Since they planned these out years in advance I assume this was supposed to be the film introduction to the multiverse. Then in NWH perhaps Doctor Strange (influenced by the 3rd eye!?) casts the spell and it becomes contaminated, opening earth to other multiverses and to whatever evil folks that wanted to hop in.
TCTTS
AG
Yeah, it sounds like the original plan was...

Spring 2021 = WandaVision
May 7, 2021 = Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness
June 2021 = Loki
July 16, 2021 = Spider-Man: No Way Home

So WandaVision would have led into DS2 literally days/a couple weeks after the WandaVision finale. Then, across May, June, and July, we would have seen probably a somewhat more coherent introduction of the multiverse, across three different projects. Granted, I don't know much more coherent it would have been, but at least all of the multiverse stuff we've been given so far would have been dished out back-to-back-to-back, all in the same summer, as opposed to being stretched out across an entire year.
AgfromHOU
AG
Thomas Little said:

DC went to crap a long time ago. Those have become almost unwatchable for me.

Someone hasn't seen The Batman yet
MBAR
AG
TCTTS said:

June 2021 = Loki

So WandaVision would have led into DS2 literally days/a couple weeks after the WandaVision finale. Then, across May, June, and July, we would have seen probably a somewhat more coherent introduction of the multiverse, across three different projects. Granted, I don't know much more coherent it would have been, but at least all of the multiverse stuff we've been given so far would have been dished out back-to-back-to-back, all in the same summer, as opposed to being stretched out across an entire year.

I got my info from a trusted podcast but I too can't find anything to back it up and got the same dates you did to it appears I ****ed up and was wrong.
TCTTS
AG
What I'm guessing happened is that someone on a podcast offhandedly mixed up the MoM/NWH switch with the accidental mention of the WandaVision/MoM switch, then people started repeating it from there. I heard it on like two Ringer podcasts, and as much as I love most of those guys, they often mix up little details like that. But those podcasts are so popular that I could see people running with it after having heard it on one of the episodes.
schmendeler
AG
TCTTS said:

June 2021 = Loki

Man that would have been cool
Saxsoon
AG
TCTTS said:

What I'm guessing happened is that someone on a podcast offhandedly mixed up the MoM/NWH switch with the accidental mention of WandaVision/MoM switch, and then people started repeating it from there. I heard it on like two Ringer podcasts, and as much as I love most those guys, they often mix up little details like that. But those podcasts are so popular that I could see people running with it after having heard it on one of the episodes.
You are not wrong. I honestly thought Wanda was going to come out after and pretty certain it came from Ringerverse
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Thomas Little
AG
AgfromHOU said:

Thomas Little said:

DC went to crap a long time ago. Those have become almost unwatchable for me.

Someone hasn't seen The Batman yet

I've seen The Batman. That's part of what led to my statement about DC becoming almost unwatchable. It was terrible.
Max Power
AG
TCTTS said:

Sex Panther said:

Thought I had...

I wonder if Jon Watts exiting Fantastic Four has something to do with Krasinski directing it?

This would be incredible, but unfortunately he's currently in pre-production on the next movie he's directing, called Imaginary Friends, starring Ryan Reynolds and Steve Carell. And that's not hitting theaters 'til November 2023. So there's no way he could direct a Fantastic Four movie for 2023, at least, and probably not even 2024, unless he were to dive in the second he finished Imaginary Friends, and it were a late '24 release. By all accounts, though, Marvel wants FF within the next couple of years, so it'd be tough.
I got Paramount Plus recently and this weekend I rewatched A Quiet Place 1 and 2, still great. Unless I'm mistaken there is both a part 3 in the works that Krasinski would write and direct as well as a prequel that he would be a producer of. I would also assume Krasinski would be involved in those projects because I'm sure Paramount would do what needs to be done to keep him involved in those projects. I would also prefer he stick with those vs going into the MCU in a bigger way. I would think A Quiet Place Part 3 is next up for him.

Even seeing Krasinski as Reed Richards in Dr. Strange didn't make me anymore interested in F4. IMO they have to nail the casting of Dr. Doom more than anything else for that to work.
TCTTS
AG
Yes, the prequel is coming first, titled A Quiet Place: Day One, set for September 22, 2023, based on an idea from Krasinski, who will produce, with Michael Sarnoski (Pig) directing.

Then, yeah, at some point after that, A Quiet Place: Part Three will follow, though it could be years from now. Krasinki would likely return to direct, but there's no world on a release date, just a loose announcement that it'll get made eventually.

In the meantime, season three of Jack Ryan is in the can, and releasing later this year, while Krasinksi is already currently filming season four, which was announced just yesterday as the final season of the series (set to release in 2023). Once that's done, he's then moving straight to the director's chair on the aforementioned Imaginary Friends. Considering he'll be busy with that until likely fall of next year, yeah, I don't know even know if he'll even have time to star in a Fantastic Four movie, considering it sounds like Marvel wants to be filming either this year or next.

So who knows what they have planned? All I know is Krasinski is busy (and productive) as hell.
C@LAg
already covered

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.