*** DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS *** (Spoilers)

46,726 Views | 645 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sea Speed
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think my beef with America Chavez is that she was more or less a prop in this movie than she was a character. They tried to squeeze in some character, but it didn't land for me.
Capitol Ag
AG
rhutton125 said:

In the comics he's a deviant, which are offshoots I think of Eternals. In the MCU, he's just a Titan - no affiliation with Eternals until that Starfox postcredits.

I saw an interview with Chloe Zhao and it sounds like - though this is certainly subject to change - in her mind, Eros was maybe an Eternal who was on Titan and knew Thanos. And it sounds like ultimately he bailed and decided to sail the starways and presumably bang lots of alien chicks.

Now that I say that, he'd actually fit pretty well in Thor 4.
That is what is confusing. Eros is his brother in the comics and announced as his brother in the post credit scenes as well as an Eternal. Many of the Easter egg shows seem to assume that means Thanos is an Eternal but as you wrote, he could be a Titan and maybe Eros was adopted or somehow part of his family in the past. Not sure. I want Thanos not to be a robot. Again, why I did not want the Eternals to be specifically a robot but instead a biological entity created by the Celestials as in the comics. Not really sure why the MCU even felt compelled to go the robot direction in the first place. It was established in the movie that Celestials could create life. So why make a robot when they could just create a living being and further, how unalive are these "robots"? Here is an example where the comic origin story was actually simpler to understand and go with imo....

Also, IW makes it a point to establish that Thanos was son of A'lars, who in the comics is a Eternal but since they can have kids in the comics, that makes sense. The Eternals in the MCU never had parents. So it would seem that Eternal or not, Thanos was raised as a child somehow. Giving credence to the idea that he is not a robot but biological.
TexasAggie_02
AG
kind of gives a new twist to the TVA's "are you a robot" line in Loki
MASAXET
AG
So I watched Eternals on a plane and maybe didn't pay enough attention, but I didn't get the sense they were actually robots? I get that the Celestials created them, but not that they are robots. Maybe we are talking distinctions without a difference here and I very likely am the one confused/missing something
TexasAggie_02
AG
MASAXET said:

So I watched Eternals on a plane

jackie childs
rhutton125 said:

You're entitled to your opinion (obviously) but I do think you might be jumping the gun just a little bit. If the originals were perfectly written then they wouldn't have had to soft reboot Thor in phase 3. Hawkeye had one character-driven appearance (so to speak) in the first 20 films. Etc.

I think the thing phases 1-3 have over phase 4 is 1) more iconic characters, 2) novelty of crossing over for the first time, and 3) a clearer path of what's coming ahead. There's no question that Captain America means more to more people after 7 films than America Chavez after 15 minutes of non-action screen time. And it means more to see Iron Man meet Spider-Man than it does for Moon Knight to meet Black Knight someday, no question.

But relative to the OG 6, we've barely gotten to know those other characters yet. Someone compiled a screen time list around the time of Shang-Chi:
https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/q8sdcf/top_characters_by_screen_time/

Iron Man still has 3.5x Vision even after Vision had a TV series, for example. Captain Marvel has had less screen time than Sylvie. Etc.

It will take some time but I think a lot of these newbies and 2nd-generation characters can eventually be as beloved as some of the OG6.

And for what it's worth, Thor 4 will in no way be a swan song for Thor. So at least there's that!
the other thing i'd add is that i don't think we can discount the loss of chadwick boseman. he was obviously going to be one of the most significant pieces of phase 4. honestly, i just really wish they would recast T'Challa.
Capitol Ag
AG
MASAXET said:

So I watched Eternals on a plane and maybe didn't pay enough attention, but I didn't get the sense they were actually robots? I get that the Celestials created them, but not that they are robots. Maybe we are talking distinctions without a difference here and I very likely am the one confused/missing something
Synthetic beings I think was the term. But it is very confusing.
Sex Panther
AG
Aren't they like Replicants in Blade Runner? They're organic but basically created in a lab and can be given memories?
Red Five
AG
It's been a minute, but I believe the reveal was that Arishem would send them to a planet to prepare it and safeguard it until the Celestial inside was born, which would then destroy everything on the planet including the Eternals themselves. On their deaths, their consciousness would be placed into a new copy of their body without retaining memories of their previous life/death, and they would repeat the cycle over again. Some Eternals, such as Angelina Jolie's character, would begin to remember those previous lives and go insane.

As far as the explanation for their immortality/creation, I don't think its all that far off from how they were eventually retconned in the comics.
emando2000
AG
Not good at all. I fell asleep towards the end of it.

As soon as it started with the dream fight scene I was had a feeling I wasn't going to like it. Then there was the one eyed octopus creature….smh.
-one eyed octopus creature
-lesbian parents
-music fight scene
-zombie Dr strange
I laughed a lot at how bad it was.
Saxsoon
AG
Oh god, lesbians
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
bobinator
AG
I was in for a teenager with a power to visit different universes including one where everything is made of paint, but lesbian parents, NO WAY.

I thought the lesbian parents was a nice touch, good of Disney to show that a main character's gay parents can die/get zapped away/whatever just as easily as straight ones. Nobody is safe in a Disney movie if they have a kid that's special in any way.
swimmerbabe11
I'm confused about what was wrong with the octopus creature.
AgfromHOU
AG
I'm confused why the lesbian moms bothered that poster so much. They were mentioned twice and showed up for 10 seconds just to give America Chavez her motivation. Also in her home universe, it may all be women with the ability to reproduce with other women for all we know. Maybe I'm not confused, but it was just a stupid nitpick.

Could also set up a fun multiversal Disney+ show where she travels between universes to find them.

I wasn't a fan of the movie either, but America and her story were among my favorite parts.
Red Five
AG
AgfromHOU said:

I'm confused why the lesbian moms bothered that poster so much. They were mentioned twice and showed up for 10 seconds just to give America Chavez her motivation. Also in her home universe, it may all be women with the ability to reproduce with other women for all we know. Maybe I'm not confused, but it was just a stupid nitpick.

I eyerolled at the lesbians, but only because it was so typically Disney in execution. "Look at us! We stand in support of LGBTQ! See, we included a girl wearing the smallest possible rainbow flag pin and her gay moms were in the movie for 17 seconds!"
swimmerbabe11
I'm trying to imagine costuming culture for a comic book world that excludes spandex.

It is boring.
texasaggie04
AG
Quote:

2) novelty of crossing over for the first time

This times a million is why the originals are going to be so impossibly difficult to replicate. A new character gets a movie and I feel like "oh great, another origin story." That's how the Shang-Chi movie felt to me.
swimmerbabe11
I can't imagine not loving Shang-Chi.
I can't wait for more Shang Chi content and also, Simu Liu's twitter is amazing and he real hot
redline248
AG
Shang-Chi is definitely my favorite of the "newest" group.
fig96
AG
I enjoyed Shang Chi a lot, just a fun ride. Simu Liu also seems like a genuinely good dude and I love seeing people like that find success.
jeffk
AG
Maybe there were no men in America's home universe?!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Red Five said:

AgfromHOU said:

I eyerolled at the lesbians, but only because it was so typically Disney in execution. "Look at us! We stand in support of LGBTQ! See, we included a girl wearing the smallest possible rainbow flag pin and her gay moms were in the movie for 17 seconds!"

And yet, if they focused more on her moms, you would complain that they're forcing an agenda down your throat.

It's a no-win situation.
Red Five
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Red Five said:

AgfromHOU said:

And yet, if they focused more on her moms, you would complain that they're forcing an agenda down your throat.

It's a no-win situation.
That's Disney's problem, not mine.
bobinator
AG
Will agree that the most unrealistic part of this movie is that a gay couple would name their kid America.
AgfromHOU
AG
Nvm not worth it
AgfromHOU
AG
Shang-Chi is my favorite of the new characters, and my favorite Marvel movie post-Endgame
Andyzipp
AG
Red Five said:

AgfromHOU said:

Pretty sure that America Chavez has two moms in the source material (Amalia and Elena). Your anger can be redirected towards Marvel Comics.

Also, while they didn't touch on it in the film, America Chavez is also queer in the comics.
Red Five
AG
I dont have any anger at all. I loved the movie and thought America was charming.
Andyzipp
AG
Red Five said:

I dont have any anger at all. I loved the movie and thought America was charming.
You're right. I should have said, "please redirect your eye rolling at Marvel Comics."
swimmerbabe11
America felt very much like a kid sister.

She's not "cool" like the kids in Spiderman, but I think that she is much younger and I excuse it a little because she is probably not so much with the social development, since she's been wandering multiverses for years.

I am hoping she grows into it a little more and gets a bit of a punky vibe.
JCRiley09
AG
The supporting cast was also all adults, so there's no room for teenage banter like Spider-Man
redline248
AG
Andyzipp said:

Red Five said:

AgfromHOU said:

Pretty sure that America Chavez has two moms in the source material (Amalia and Elena). Your anger can be redirected towards Marvel Comics.
According to the internet, Disney bought marvel in 2009 and Chavez first appeared in 2011. So, eye rolls back at Disney.
schmendeler
AG
I like shang chi the character but I didn't care for the whole part with the dragon. Too fanciful.

My favorite part was the fight on the bus.
YNWA_AG
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Red Five said:

AgfromHOU said:

It's a no-win situation.

I think the weird thing is the lgbt flag when the universe she grew up is only women in the comics. Lgbt wouldn't exist in that scenario and it's weird to just wear your sexual preference 24/7 and essentially make it your identity.

I think it's just lame representation if you are a part of the community.
AgfromHOU
AG
Maybe in her universe the rainbow isn't an LGBT flag. Maybe it's her national flag. You can use any logic here. That's what's great about fiction.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.