*** DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS *** (Spoilers)

46,696 Views | 645 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sea Speed
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
jeffk said:

Just got out. I have a ton of thoughts. First is that I'm not sure if I liked it or not.

Yes, I'm QTing myself, it's fine, this is the multiverse, there's no rules. I think I liked it, but I didn't really enjoy it, if that makes sense. Like it felt like a long What If? episode, which I liked, but the further I got into the movie, the more questions I had about what we were really learning or how is this progressing the narrative in the MCU.

Wanda being evil wasn't a huge stretch for me. But her methods and her end goal were sort of misaligned and no one seemed to point that out to her in the film. She wanted to be with them, but never lose them again. So basically wanted a realized version of her memory. Which isn't the same as really loving or living with someone. Basically, the story needed Vision around to engage more philosophically.

Point of order: we're calling White Vision "Cataract" now. I'll hear no arguments to the contrary.

The Illuminati were cool. They were obviously just there as a fan service and then a demo for Scarlet Witch's power. Nothing wrong with it, but it also felt like Raimi had recently binge-watched The Boys or Invincible.

I'm rambling. It was fine. Glad I saw it. No idea if it'll age well or how even it'll fit within the large MCU plan, but I'm glad I saw it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I mean Wanda can literally alter reality, right?

She could probably set up an Earth-like farmhouse on the new planet, complete with atmosphere, without much issues.
TexasAggie_02
AG
ohh, here's an idea, they shouldn't have let wanda have the dark hold in wandavision, or maybe mordu manages to steal it.

Mordu thinks that there's "too many sorcerers" he uses the darkhold to dream walk to find ways to beat strange. He finally comes across America and realizes that with her power he could wipe out sorcerers in every universe. Strange enlists Wanda's help, b/c they could use a little chaos right now.

While attacking Mordu at Kamar Taj, Strange and America get cast to the reality with the Illuminati, meanwhile Wong and Wanda continue to fight Mordu. They destroy the dark hold, and before defeating Mordu, he tells her about the Temple and her true destiny. Wong plays dumb, but has a bad poker face. Wanda then turns on him and makes him take her there. She then realizes that she can have her boys back and the movie then plays out the same from there.....

bobinator
AG
I also half expected to see our boy Ned at the Kamar Taj in that closing scene.
jeffk
AG
I did get a good chuckle out of the Illuminati's "we can handle your little witch no problem" line.

Lol, Ok…
Gigem314
AG
TCTTS said:

bobinator said:

EXTREMELY similar. I even typed that in there and then deleted it.

We needed either some more WandaVision, or more to start this movie, where we see her continue the slide. A doesn't work, she tries B, B doesn't work, so C, each decision further from who she wants to be but she deems it necessary.

Instead, at the end of WandaVision she's reading a bad book as her kids are screaming "help me" from somewhere and then this starts and she's sending monsters to kill a child. That's a big off screen jump.

They address her "slide" MULTIPLE times in this movie. By studying The Darkhold (the book with the spells), she essentially became possessed by it. Simply *opening* it - something Strange wouldn't even do - was an invitation for bad news.

So, yes, she had a character arc in WandaVision, for the better, but then made the mistake of using The Darkhold to look for her kids. Once she went down that path, it took hold of her, "possessed" her, and thus we got the evil version of Wanda in this movie.

Had it been a Wanda-centric movie, sure, I could see them showing that "possession"/transition take hold, etc, but seeing as this was Doctor Strange movie, that felt unnecessary. Not to mention, I really liked how they turned it into a twist/surprise instead. That was a great moment when she slipped and called her "America" in front of Strange, before he ever told her America's name. That was such a cool "oh sh*t" moment where you realize something is off and that Wanda is the villain. No way would I have traded that for us actually seeing her make that transition. We got the gist through dialogue and then were off to the races.
Well said.

To me it's also similar to Hawkeye being possessed by Loki in The Avengers. His abilities were being used to kill people, but he wasn't in control. Maybe a little like Bucky as The Winter Soldier too, and he was labeled as a villain for it like Wanda. It didn't need a lot of explanation.

I didn't think this was a stretch for Wanda. Even in WandaVision, she teased what she was capable of by taking over the soldiers' weapons, holding people hostage in their own minds with no remorse until Vision finally got through to her. She was capable of being cold, The Darkhold magic simply took it to the darkest place...we just don't get see all of that transformation on screen.
Gigem314
AG
jeffk said:

I did get a good chuckle out of the Illuminati's "we can handle your little witch no problem" line.

Lol, Ok…
That whole exchange is what I enjoy so much about Dr. Strange. His facial expressions and "No ****, genius" response to what was happening despite the Illuminati's overconfidence was great.

It would be easy to make his character super serious, particularly given Cumberbatch's history, but I'm glad they Strange has some of that 'Tony Stark' sarcasm.
bobinator
AG
I don't want to drag this thread down anymore with this argument because we can just agree to disagree, but one specific thing here.

In WandaVision, we see her grief take control of her and her powers take over, she absolutely loses control, but by the end, she's found it again and she undoes everything she did. She's not all the way back, and she's still tampering with the darkhold in the postcredits, but it looks like she's moving forward as a character.

Then this movie is the absolute exact same emotional arc for her, just ramped up to 11. None of the emotional evolution of the character in WandaVision mattered at all, because now when this movie starts she's suddenly even more evil than where left her in WandaVision. Just replace losing Vision with losing her kids and for that character it's the same story, just like, bigger.

Again I think the strength of the MCU has been the characters, how they evolve, how they play off each other, what their motivations are, etc, but this one just felt off for me. Maybe it didn't for you, that's fine.
redline248
AG
Saw it this morning, really liked it. Evil Wanda is seriously scary. Here are some thoughts about some of the topics going around this thread.

Movie opens with America and a Strange running from the monster. Then we later find out America has met a lot of Stranges. I think we can assume Wanda had been after her for a while. It's not hard to imagine the growing frustration of being unable to capture her pushing Wanda more toward evil. Like TCTTS, I am glad we didn't see any of it because revealing her as the surprise villain was a "holy sh-t" moment that I would not want taken away. By the way, this isn't the first time Marvel has done character transformation off screen. Thor getting fat, Scientist Hulk...even Tony had a bunch of changes between movies.

I really enjoyed the fight with music notes. An excellent representation of the madness in this movie.

I was genuinely amused at the Illuminati version of Captain Marvel calling Strange arrogant, when she had the most arrogant attitude of them all. "We can handle your little witch." Please. I did not think anything could make me prefer the Bri Larson version.

edit to add: I love Elizabeth Olsen and she acted her ass off in this movie. Wanda is a must have character, for me.
C@LAg
redline248 said:

Then we later find out America has met a lot of Stranges.
one can never have too much strange.
bobinator
AG
She hadn't met a lot of Stranges, just the one other one right?
Andyzipp
AG
bobinator said:

She hadn't met a lot of Stranges, just the one other one right?
"Of the two Stranges I've met...you're not my favorite."
redline248
AG
Did she only say two? I don't remember the exact quote, but then later in the movie she's telling Christine that he's different than all the other Doctor Stranges. How does she know?
TexasAggie_02
AG
I wonder if they added Rambeau as captain marvel as a peace offering for killing her off to cancer in wandavision. I remember an interview after that episode aired, and she had no idea that she'd been killed off, and sounded upset that she found out on the internet instead of from marvel.

If she's captain marvel in one universe, she probably is in others as well and we might still see her again.
TCTTS
AG
Th quick interview at the link below sums it up pretty well. Basically, you have to look at WandaVision and DS2 as one big arc for Wanda. She's conquered *some* of her demons by the end of WV, but not all of them, and her ultimate story is sacrificing herself to make sure that succumbing to The Darkhold "doesn't happen to another Wanda elsewhere in the multiverse."

jeffk
AG
Did we ever get any clue as to how her breaking apart the throne room cave in one universe destroyed the Darkholde in all universes? Did I miss some critical piece of info?
C@LAg
jeffk said:

Did we ever get any clue as to how her breaking apart the throne room cave in one universe destroyed the Darkholde in all universes? Did I miss some critical piece of info?
Standing at the seat of Chthon's power at Mount Wundagore, her blast of chaos magic traveled through every dimension, obliterating every variant of the Darkholde.

that said, the books of magic are not sources of power. Rather, they channel the power of other beings; the Darkhold channels Chthon's chaos and the Book of Vishanti is a conduit for the light magic of the three Vishanti. The conduits may be gone, but the beings who created them and their power are not.
jeffk
AG
Makes perfect sense to me.
C@LAg
jeffk said:

Makes perfect sense to me.
the answer was the first sentence.

done from a point of power. **** goes kaboom.

if you bought into a lot of the other malarky in the movie, that should be easy to buy into as well.
rhutton125
AG
Did they ever say any of that in the movie? About Chthon and stuff?

Whether it's S2 of WandaVision (you'd need some way to revitalize the TV schtick) or "Vision & the Scarlet Witch," the potential is there for a very interesting show. Vision with no emotions, Wanda with regret of her actions - trying to find a way forward even though their relationship isn't, and can't be, the same as it was in their memories.
schmendeler
AG
I can't tell if this is legit or bs but it's beautiful bs even so.
C@LAg
schmendeler said:

I can't tell if this is legit or bs but it's beautiful bs even so.
I am THE Marvel comics nerd on this forum.

Have prob read 50K+ issues over the decades, and legally own 30K+ issues (sad I know)

and then digitally I have prob 90+% of everything Marvel comics has ever released.
jeffk
AG
They need a True Detective show featuring Cataract and now-sobered Scarlet Witch.
C@LAg
rhutton125 said:

nah. Just "the first demon". but the story beat i posited is likely what they were going with here.,
AgfromHOU
AG
I need to get back into Marvel comics. I've sort of gone on comic hiatus since last summer because my local shop closed, but with Marvel Unlimited only being three months behind now..
C@LAg
AgfromHOU said:

I need to get back into Marvel comics. I've sort of gone on comic hiatus since last summer because my local shop closed, but with Marvel Unlimited only being three months behind now..
with few exceptions (mostly the X-Men/mutants reboot under Hickman, Immortal Hulk, some parts of Aaron's run on Thor) they have all sucked since 2015.

Marvel Unlimited is fantastic, especially when traveling for work/vacation. Can bust through a few issues waiting in lines, on short flights , etc.
AgfromHOU
AG
I've read most of Hickman's XMen (LOVED HoX/PoX), and most of Iron Man, Captain America, Avengers, Immortal Hulk, Guardians of the Galaxy, Fantastic Four, and Amazing Spider-Man from 2018 to early 2021ish. I was at Original Sin in Aaron's Thor run. I've also read most of the Tales of Suspense Iron Man stories (much better than you'd think).

I have the DC version (DC Universe Infinite) and have been reading a ton of JL, Superman, Nightwing, and The Flash. Super duper recommend Mark Waid's The Flash run with Wally West. Was going to read George Perez's Wonder Woman next since he just died last week.

Semi Marvel, but I did read all of Jason Aaron's Star Wars run, and most of the accompanying Darth Vader run.
C@LAg
C@LAg
AgfromHOU said:

Semi Marvel, but I did read all of Jason Aaron's Star Wars run, and most of the accompanying Darth Vader run.
really liked a lot of the 2015-2018 or so star wars comics, but the last year or two has just been such... garbage , that I quit reading all of them.
rhutton125
AG
I've read all the good-sounding Marvel comics (and new characters with solo-runs or things like that) on Marvel Unlimited from 1971 to (so far) 2010. That's a shame to hear that they start to suck across the board in 2015, but I guess I knew it had to end sooner or later.

I thought I'd be bailing around the time of the Liefield Avengers reboot but then I learned that Kurt Busieks reboot a year later was great. And it was!

I definitely have event fatigue though.
C@LAg
bringing it back to Dr Strange/Wanda....

the recent Trial of Magneto acts as a HUGE and final conclusion to the overall Crazy Scarlet Witch storyline started all the way back in Avengers Dissembled, going through House of M, to present.

Essentially everything has now been formally reversed one way or the other and we are back to the original status quo.
redline248
AG
Friend sent this
AMW2010
AG
So house of harkness is a Disney plus show that is coming soon. When we last see Agatha, Wanda cast a spell on her that turns her back into that Stepford wife esk happy go lucky character. I bet the moment Wanda destroys all the darkholds, that spell is broken, and that's where the series starts off
Andyzipp
AG
C@LAg said:

rhutton125 said:

nah. Just "the first demon". but the story beat i posited is likely what they were going with here.,
Actually, Wong does name drop Chthon when they get inside Wundagore, but it goes pretty quickly. I missed it the first time I saw it, but caught it the second time through.
Gigem314
AG
AMW2010 said:

So house of harkness is a Disney plus show that is coming soon. When we last see Agatha, Wanda cast a spell on her that turns her back into that Stepford wife esk happy go lucky character. I bet the moment Wanda destroys all the darkholds, that spell is broken, and that's where the series starts off

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.