*** DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS *** (Spoilers)

46,699 Views | 645 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sea Speed
The Debt
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It's really not impressive to say "well it happened in the comics".

There were a golden age of comics, then about 20 years ago writers started throwing shtt against the wall to try and sell, and it didnt. So some producer today looks at "source material" and it's from an unpopular era that has the same *******izations that didnt sell.

Fans dislike or boycott films and producers are like "what the hell? We made this from source material." Either not realizing it was sht material that bombed its first time, or realizing it and believing fans would eat it up because they are so happily to see their favorite IP on the silver screen.
swimmerbabe11
I just figured she would have picked it up in her travels
schmendeler
AG
Same
AgfromHOU
AG
It's not meant to be "impressive". It's meant to show that the character has that history because a lot of people ***** about changes to beloved characters they don't like. For example, the new Hawkeye and Thor being women. There is precedent for that happening, and is not just the movie division trying to show inclusiveness.

Like holy ***** Why can't lesbian moms be portrayed on screen, other than maybe you don't agree with that lifestyle? Whether you like it or not, there are people (admittedly a teeny tiny population) that have two moms. Why can't they see that on screen? Just because it's not a bunch of straight white dudes doesn't mean they're pandering. Comics were always straight white dudes, and the last 20 years or so (or Marvel in most of their existence) have seen a course correction to involve more representation. Do they over do it sometimes? Sure. But they're making up for a lot of time where it was just straight white dudes.

And "it happens in the comics" matters when talking about comic book movies.
Philip J Fry
AG
AgfromHOU said:

Maybe in her universe the rainbow isn't an LGBT flag. Maybe it's her national flag. You can use any logic here. That's what's great about fiction.

Except the audience is aware that the producers have an agenda. If they want to go woke with BLM and trans BS, they need to be willing to go broke.
AgfromHOU
AG
There was neither BLM nor trans in this movie

And lol at Marvel going broke
swimmerbabe11
it's Canon...characters aren't being fired out of artillery
jeffk
AG
Anyone who thinks comics have just recently become avenues of progressive viewpoints doesn't know much about their history.
fig96
AG

Cromagnum
AG
AgfromHOU said:

Except the kid had two moms.
Cromagnum
AG
Finally got around to seeing it.

Positives:
Olsen acted her ass off.
Awesome visuals.
Patrick Stewart! And cartoon X-Men theme when he rolled up!
Brutal deaths. Holy crap!

Cons:
America was a weak character. I don't even care about her.
Wtf happened to Mordo's storyline? Too many sorcerers and all that?
Movie feels inconsequential. Like No Way Home didn't matter.
Don't care for Strange's new 3rd eye.
What's up with the demon spells, even before he used the book?
Shuma Gorath should use been a much bigger problem.
TCTTS
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

Movie feels inconsequential. Like No Way Home didn't matter.

That's been my biggest issue with this whole phase. You could argue the series have been more consequential so far.
fig96
AG
Cromagnum said:

AgfromHOU said:

Except the kid had two moms.
Your handle is indicative of your understanding of the issue at hand.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Thought the first one was better, but this one was ok. The CGI was a little fake at times, which I don't really remember thinking about the first one. I thought Demon Strange was badass, but the entire battle scene with Wanda flying around and the sorcerers at the beginning of the movie was pretty hokey. Especially her whispering sweet nothings in the one Chad sorcerers ear to make him run and drop the shield.

Overall, I would place it in the lower middle somewhere of the MCU.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Oh, and the coolest multiverse nod IMO was the Illuminati Ultron Drones. Looks like Reed Richards is smarter than Tony or Bruce.
Cromagnum
AG
09AggieJC said:

that too and why did they search and search for the Book of Ashanti and not rush to it when it was within grasp?

Everything about that book seemed pointless and stupid

Yep. He finally touches it and then never uses it for anything. A better stinger would have been if in one of the endings someone's hand (with just enough detail for the costume) reached down and picked up the Book of Ashanti.
TexasAggie_02
AG
So, they used the book of Ashanti to defeat Thanos, but then they kill strange on titan. So, how did the book get back to strange's secret vault that opened with his watch?

Maybe strange had the spells memorized since he has a perfect memory? So the book was always on the vault?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
MBAR said:

TCTTS said:

johncAG said:

Every thing I would have said about this movie has been said already

Enjoyed it more than I thought I would after seeing reviews. Wanda and America Chavez were both great and hopefully involved more. Horror aspect was different in a good way.

The only negative thing I have about the movie is that it confirms what I was worried about (TCTTS has mentioned it before but I was still holding out hope until this movie). What is the end goal? We know that the end of Loki will be important but how are the remaining Avengers getting back together? How are the future teams ups coming? I think we have to realize that the Feige Brain Trust is not as far along on the next step as a lot would have thought post Endgame. I think CoVid probably messed up schedules but the only announced project in the new future that has any hope at moving the grand plot along is Ant Man. I really hoped we would have gotten some groundwork on how the X-Men/F4 would be coming. But is that really Disneys fault? Or are we the audience expecting too much now. It's a similar way I feel about the Disney Plus shows. I have enjoyed everyone in different ways but so far, only Loki and Wandavision (in this movie) has felt like it was required watching for the big picture.

Well put. And yeah, right there with you. To me, the MCU isn't just a bunch of connected stories. It's connected stories that are actively building toward something. At least that's what it was for 11 years. But it feels like Marvel no longer cares about that distinction now. And sure, it all very well could be leading toward Secret Wars or whatever, but they're not cluing us into that fact. That's the difference. Give us morsels. Give us better hints. Just make it more apparent that this is all going to pay off in a bigger way, even if it's not until, say, three years from now.
I'm now convinced this phase has just been a big push for Disney+. And honestly, the content is suffering a bit for it although maybe its a case where volume does make up for a decrease in quality. I'm also still willing to give them a bit of a break since the shuffling of 4-5 properties due to pandemic is probably affecting the stories more than we are giving them credit for. The entire plot of this movie revolves around Wandavision but this was supposed to come out BEFORE Wandavision so what the hell was the plot before? A quest to get vision back? Wandavision/DS2/Spiderman had to have been radically different in another order.

All that being said, ultimately it really just seems like to me that they're treading water while they do a lot of the D+ shows and introductions. I can't imagine the next big bad is gonna be anyone but Kang, but not having seen him even alluded to in the properties since Loki makes me start to question that. It just seemed that his creation of the multiverse would have implications on this movie if thats what they wanted but they don't so much as even bring up that idea so who knows.

Going back through the thread, assuming this secret wars plot is where they are headed, how many years do you think it will realistically take them to set up for the conclusion? For infinity wars, it took them 4 years to even hint at Thanos in the first avengers. So is it unrealistic to expect the MCU to already be showing you what the ultimate goal is for the next big conclusion? Especially considering Covid delayed everything two years and they are having to replace the two or three biggest stars from the Avengers as a result of Endgame?

I would bet we start seeing hints at the end of phase 4 of where the story is ultimately headed, but that's what, 2-3 years away?

The biggest issue to me going forward is marvel finding the leaders for the next avenger storylines to replace Steve and Tony, and Natasha as wel for a glue type character.
rhutton125
AG
Is Secret Wars worth it if there's really only one universe to crib from? Unless they plan on a bunch of new variants like DS2 did, or using the not-that-beloved What If characters, or digging up a bunch of old Fox X-Men actors, what is there really to be gained by it?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I think the multiverse variants will eventually set up a multiverse team of avengers.

To me, you will need someone like Wolverine to replace Iron man or Steve's Captain America, and then another big name draw character for the brains that hasn't been seen yet. As this movie mentioned, a bunch of different superheroes based on insects won't do much for getting butts in seats.
redline248
AG
Spiderman definitely will get people in the theater. I think Paul Rudd has a certain draw, as well, but I agree they need another hero on Spiderman's popularity level.
swimmerbabe11
squirrel girl's origin movie will be beloved by all.
rhutton125
AG
I just have to assume they're saving X-Men for the future, not to revisit from cinema's past. So in a few years they'll introduce a new Xavier, new Wolverine, new Cyclops. There's not much benefit to dragging Hugh Jackman and who knows who else in ~2026, especially when that's around the time to do new MCU mutants, and when they already did just that thing in Days of Future Past.

It's not like fans are kicking down the doors to see Famke Jensen or Sophie Turner's Jean Grey again. Original Jean got her moment in DoFP, new Jean had her moment in Dark Phoenix (and nobody cared).

So if Secret Wars is some kind of multiversal conclusion of sorts, it's either A) a repeat of Multiverse of Madness by giving us new variations on old characters, B) a repeat of Days of Future Past by dragging old characters back yet again, or C) Secret Wars in name only.

I haven't read the newer Secret Wars, but everyone assumes it's the next big thing and they're going to drag every old or dead actor back for another visit. But does that really make much sense? Am I completely off on this?
littlebitofhifi
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I'll pass on the origin story if we can have Anna Kendrick as adult squirrel girl.
Dr. Horrible
littlebitofhifi said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

I'll pass on the origin story if we can have Anna Kendrick as adult squirrel girl.
Now this is some casting I can get behind.
Sazerac
AG
Pretty mediocre marvel movie.

What the F was that music fight?
redline248
AG
Sazerac said:

it was awesome, that's what
maroon barchetta
redline248 said:

Sazerac said:

it was awesome, that's what

Yep
JCRiley09
AG
Am I crazy remembering Dr. Strange as being funnier in DS1, avengers, and Spider-Man?
redline248
AG
He's about the same, imo
Cromagnum
AG
littlebitofhifi said:

swimmerbabe11 said:

Apparently Milana Vayntrub already did this.

TexasAggie_02
AG
bearamedic99
AG
When did Wong become Sorcerer Supreme?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
bearamedic99 said:

When did Wong become Sorcerer Supreme?

After the Snap

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.