*** DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS *** (Spoilers)

46,706 Views | 645 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sea Speed
Quad Dog
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I'm still laughing literally out loud every time I think about the spice world comparison, like uncontrollable snort laughs. like on video chats and can't control my face. I dont know why that's the funniest thing to me in a while, but it is.

also, I loved that movie, but I was the target demo at the time.

still, what was the catalyst of the exodus? I dont get what makes people leave unless it is too gory to bear or blasphemously offensive or something.

So they can brag they walked out.
maroon barchetta
schmendeler said:

I think spring breakers was the only movie I've walked out of. I just realized I wanted to spend my time doing something else about 15-20 minutes in.

It was awful. They tried to save it with lots of boobs and even that couldn't save it.
Philip J Fry
AG
Really disappointed in the movie. Could not stand the acting out of American Chavis. Didn't have the feel for a typical marvel movie. Feels like they wasted a golden opportunity to bring in other marvel franchises into he mix.

h1ag
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I'm still laughing literally out loud every time I think about the spice world comparison, like uncontrollable snort laughs. like on video chats and can't control my face. I dont know why that's the funniest thing to me in a while, but it is.

also, I loved that movie, but I was the target demo at the time.

still, what was the catalyst of the exodus? I dont get what makes people leave unless it is too gory to bear or blasphemously offensive or something.

For me, there wasn't a point where I threw up my hands and said "that's it, I'm out of here!" I had to go to the bathroom a few scenes after the dark Strange got impaled. When I was done I thought I'd rather do anything else so I kept going out of the theater.

So it wasn't as bad as Spice World. That was my first early lesson that you've got to set personal limits on what you'll do for female attention. Lol
09AggieJC
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

man I really need to rewatch Thor 2, because I recall enjoying it and I apparently I'm the only person on all of Texags.

and maybe reread the original thread on it.
I liked it
maroon barchetta
Lady Sif
rhutton125
AG
Thor 2 is a half measure. It's the last of the sequels that go "run it back and just do it again." A little more Warriors 3, some Loki, some Jane. Same as Thor 1 pretty much. I guess Age of Ultron did it too, repeated the first movie.

Thankfully Winter Soldier set the tone on how to do a sequel right.
TCTTS
AG

Quad Dog
AG
Thor 2s problem is it's villain. He has no charisma, no real characterization. His plan and motivation makes no sense and you don't understand why his followers follow him.

Everything in the movie with Loki or Frigga is great. The portal stuff at the end is fun, but it does have diminishing returns.
swimmerbabe11
I want to find the old thread on it. I feel like it might be like Nickelback where everyone loved it at one point, then it got super popular to hate
rhutton125
AG
$61M seems tiny. Definitely not great word of mouth.
redline248
AG
swimmerbabe11 said:

I want to find the old thread on it. I feel like it might be like Nickelback where everyone loved it at one point, then it got super popular to hate
https://texags.com/forums/13/topics/2472257/replies

Here ya go
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah this is unlikely to even hit $400M at this point.

Pretty crazy considering how high the hype seemed to be about a month ago, before reviews.
jeffk
AG
Pretty incredible that a MCU film thread went for less than two pages.
swimmerbabe11
yeah I was just thinking, that can't be the official thread. It didnt even start before.
redline248
AG
There was a 2nd thread, but was only 1 page
Urban Ag
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Pretty crazy considering how high the hype seemed to be about a month ago, before reviews.
I have another perspective. The first MCU movie I saw in the theatre was The Avengers in 2012 when I took my older son and his friend. He was six at the time. I had seen bits and pieces of Iron Man, Thor, on tv prior to that. Super Heroes just not my thing. I was blown away by Avengers. We had so much fun. After that, I was all in and the whole family saw pretty much all the MCU's in theater with a few exceptions. Even my wife got in to it and she hates stuff like that.

The overall Infiniti/Avengers Saga pulled in a ton of parents the same way the Harry Potter books did. But after End Game, I've almost completely lost interest. I would assume that is true for a lot of parents that got invested with their kids in this over a decade plus. When Tony died we cashed out too.
BowSowy
AG
Urban Ag said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I have another perspective. The first MCU movie I saw in the theatre was The Avengers in 2012 when I took my older son and his friend. He was six at the time. I had seen bits and pieces of Iron Man, Thor, on tv prior to that. Super Heroes just not my thing. I was blown away by Avengers. We had so much fun. After that, I was all in and the whole family saw pretty much all the MCU's in theater with a few exceptions. Even my wife got in to it and she hates stuff like that.

The overall Infiniti/Avengers Saga pulled in a ton of parents the same way the Harry Potter books did. But after End Game, I've almost completely lost interest. I would assume that is true for a lot of parents that got invested with their kids in this over a decade plus. When Tony died we cashed out too.
There's no doubt that Phase 4 (other than Spider-Man) is, so far, lacking the notoriety that the previous phases had. I definitely think you're right that there will be a bunch of people who are just tired of and done with Marvel movies. And I think this multiversal conflict they're building to has a good chance to be too complicated to appeal to the casual fan.
ttaggie
AG
This is how I feel...., It's too much to keep up with now. If I have a free weekend afternoon I will take the kids, but its no longer something I plan around. Still haven't seen the new Dr. Strange, and I really don't care.
Madmarttigan
AG
Infinity War and Endgame were so well done everything else has lost its flavor a bit for me. Hard to capture that momentum again.
Urban Ag
AG
Madmarttigan said:

Infinity War and Endgame were so well done everything else has lost its flavor a bit for me. Hard to capture that momentum again.
I think this is an understatement. The MCU had some good movies and some great movies, and some all time bests for me. The culmination in Infinity War and End Game was simply amazing. It took some of the most talented people in the industry, over eleven years, 22 films (I think) and somehow keeping everyone and every film on the same sheet of music. Don't know that will ever do that again.

I'll see the new Thor with the kids, it looks promising. Wife will probably come too because reasons <Hemsworth>

Capitol Ag
AG
I couldn't disagree more with those losing interest in the MCU. To me it's the exact opposite. Part of it is totally based on how well they pulled off the first 4 phases. It will be interesting to see how they proceed forward with this and what they will introduce moving forward. I will say that of everything new, the Eternals was the one movie that fell flat to me. I liked the movie. But the direction of the story and how they presented the Eternals as synthozoids rather than biological like in the comics was strange. Partially b/c it means Thanos is a robot and that takes away from him to me personally as his motives are more powerful coming from a living being. And maybe the Eternals are living being in the MCU and they just need to fill in more details. Also, means that Thanos's brother really isn't his brother when biologically in the comic he is (at least I think he is). Also, the entire baby celestial body just sitting out in the ocean. They need to address that one. I do not mind them making Earth an incubator but making it stone not something else like dust would have made more sense. Granted, what would tis do to the gravity of Earth and how even the breach may cause global catastrophe so its interesting to begin with and I am not sure I wouldn't prefer a more tangible story line. And yes, I get this is a universe with superheroes so obviously we need to let our imagination run free here.

But all in all I am loving this multi-verse angle and think it opens up so many opportunities for interesting stories.
jeffk
AG
To me, Dr. Strange just isn't a really compelling character in the same way almost all of the earlier movie characters were (Tony Stark, Cap, Black Widow, Thor). He's less interesting than Spider-Man and the Guardians as well. Maybe it's the magic? IDK. Cumberbatch does a great job and the movie was interesting, Strange is just never going to be one of my favorites I don't think.

I can't wait for Thor: Love and Thunder and even the next Ant-man movie. Both should be a ton of fun.
bobinator
AG
I think the closest Phase 4 has come to capturing the magic in the overall story is with Loki.
Saxsoon
AG
Stuff like New Rockstars and Into the Ringerverse have helped keep me even more engaged
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
redline248
AG
Thanos is an Eternal?
schmendeler
AG
I thought he was a Titan
redline248
AG
As did (do) I. Guy I responded to seems to have different info
rhutton125
AG
In the comics he's a deviant, which are offshoots I think of Eternals. In the MCU, he's just a Titan - no affiliation with Eternals until that Starfox postcredits.

I saw an interview with Chloe Zhao and it sounds like - though this is certainly subject to change - in her mind, Eros was maybe an Eternal who was on Titan and knew Thanos. And it sounds like ultimately he bailed and decided to sail the starways and presumably bang lots of alien chicks.

Now that I say that, he'd actually fit pretty well in Thor 4.
Red Five
AG
In the comics, the Eternals on Earth were fractured by a civil war in the early days of humanity. The losing faction left Earth and took up residence on Titan. So all the residents of Titan are Eternals, but not all Eternals are Titans.

Thanos is an Eternal born on Titan and a carrier of the deviant gene, though not a true deviant himself, which causes him to be disfigured and an outcast among the other Titans.
FL_Ag1998
AG
This new batch of Avenger characters just doesn't have the charisma and draw that the original group did.

Tony Stark, Steve Rogers, Thor....all were characters played by actors with fantastic charisma, and all were written so perfectly to draw you into their personal storyline and not just the plot of the movie you were watching. We became invested in their backstory and their continuing character arc throughout each movie. Then you add in Natasha, Clint, and even Banner....less character focus and development was put into them, but still enough for you to invest in them. Plus the actors again did a great job. Finally, and perhaps most importantly, they became a team and eventually a family.

With Cap amd Ironman gone its just not the same. And I get the distinct impression from the Thor 4 trailers this will be his swan song as well. These trailers actually make me sad thinking about that.

The new characters just don't produce that same draw to me that the original Avengers did right off the bat. I love Bucky and Sam but count them more as leftovers from the old crew. Same with Spiderman and Strange. The truly new characters though....they just don't connect with me like the originals did. Their backstories and motivations are just...blah. The only one with true onscreen charisma is Florence Pugh.

And this new girl, America Chavez? A complete swing and miss in my opinion, in both character and the actress portraying her.
rhutton125
AG
You're entitled to your opinion (obviously) but I do think you might be jumping the gun just a little bit. If the originals were perfectly written then they wouldn't have had to soft reboot Thor in phase 3. Hawkeye had one character-driven appearance (so to speak) in the first 20 films. Etc.

I think the thing phases 1-3 have over phase 4 is 1) more iconic characters, 2) novelty of crossing over for the first time, and 3) a clearer path of what's coming ahead. There's no question that Captain America means more to more people after 7 films than America Chavez after 15 minutes of non-action screen time. And it means more to see Iron Man meet Spider-Man than it does for Moon Knight to meet Black Knight someday, no question.

But relative to the OG 6, we've barely gotten to know those other characters yet. Someone compiled a screen time list around the time of Shang-Chi:
https://www.reddit.com/r/marvelstudios/comments/q8sdcf/top_characters_by_screen_time/

Iron Man still has 3.5x Vision even after Vision had a TV series, for example. Captain Marvel has had less screen time than Sylvie. Etc.

It will take some time but I think a lot of these newbies and 2nd-generation characters can eventually be as beloved as some of the OG6.

And for what it's worth, Thor 4 will in no way be a swan song for Thor. So at least there's that!
redline248
AG
I just thought of something... Is the next hero team going to be Captain Marvel, Kate Bishop, She-Hulk and America Chavez?

Versus Sharon Carter, Yelena, Maya Lopez...
FL_Ag1998
AG
The new group will definitely grow more on me, and you may be right, they may grow on me as much as the original group did. But my point was even after just their first films (not 7 films) I was already hooked on Cap America's story and drawn in by his charisma. Yes, even Thor. Just can't say that about these new guys.

And really I hope you're right about Thor, but Thor 4 looks like it would be the perfect ending to his story arc and I'm just not seeing where Hemsworth is definitely signed on for more movies.
rhutton125
AG
Old but hopefully still true: https://screenrant.com/thor-4-marvel-movie-chris-hemsworth-mcu-future/amp/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.