*** DOCTOR STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS *** (Spoilers)

46,710 Views | 645 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Sea Speed
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Black Bolt had some pretty big body horror before his head deflated.

Also yeah Krasinski and Stewart almost got equal amount of loud crowd noises
Fighting Texas Aggie Class of 2012
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Black Bolt's death got some gasps and audible excitement at my showing.
Saxsoon
AG
Elizabeth Olsen slayed . . . this role
AggieLitigator
I've got a lot of random thoughts…

* they shouldn't have shown Professor X in the trailer. It ruined what would have been an incredible moment
*the lack of cameos outside the Illuminati did disappoint since all of those leaked
*the movie itself was really good but isn't a Marvel movie I'll watch over and over again
*I enjoyed the horror aspect
*I understand the post credit scene was classic Raimi but that annoyed me. I would've preferred the post movie scenes to be flip flopped
*Its middle of the road for MCU which is still a really good movie
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think this one probably lands around 9-10 for me, which is pretty damn good in the MCU.
DogHouse95
AG
I was pretty disappointed with the final product. I think there was a lot of lost potential with the heroes of the illuminati. Captain Marvel can fly through space ships destroying them on the way out, but dies by being crushed by a statue? That was some lazy writing. Black Bolts death was creative, but the rest of them were just unfulfilling and too easy.
Not a Bot
AG
She lost her power before the statue came down on her. At least I think. She wasn't glowing anymore.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I was surprised by that too. I figured Wanda would have to disintegrate her out of existence.
DogHouse95
AG
Captain Positivity said:

She lost her power before the statue came down on her. At least I think. She wasn't glowing anymore.
I didn't catch that. Maybe on the next viewing. :-) Any reasoning for how she lost her power? Also, she (and Carol Danvers) aren't always glowing. I don't think that they become vulnerable if they aren't glowing. I get that we are trying to be shown the awesome power of the Scarlet Witch, but what a waste of some cool potential fights. Reid Richards and Black Bolt didn't even get a punch in.
MBAR
AG
Everything after the karmatage scene was ****ing amazing. I was kinda annoyed with the music notes **** but otherwise that was a lot of fun.
Sex Panther
AG
I thought the music fight was one of the coolest things of the whole movie
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I meant to mention that. Absolutely loved that.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Meant thumbs up
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, anyone see it in 3D, and if so, was the Avatar trailer shown in 3D?

Legit considering seeing it again this weekend just for that. (Ok and to see the movie in 3D.)
CoachRTM
AG
Woah boy. Most disappointing movie I have ever seen.

I won't say "worst", but with my anticipation and love for the franchise/ characters… I've never been so disappointed.

It felt like a funeral when everyone was walking out. Super somber attitude from everyone on their way out.
AgfromHOU
AG
Movie was okay. I didn't like how a lot of it was made, but there were some really cool moments. Olsen was amazing.

I would put it pretty low on my Marvel list. I won't get all into it because I would rather this thread be for reactions and for people who enjoyed it more than me. Will be reading!

Also, I LOVED America Chavez. Her and Shang-Chi are my current favorites of the new crew.
BoydCrowder13
I actually really enjoyed it. I loved the horror vibes. I think it will be divisive simply over what they did to Wanda. Personally, I've always thought Wanda was a little too woe is me so I'm fine with the Darkhold essentially destroying her morality.

Please bring Krasinski back. I thought the Black Bolt death was hilarious and a nod at how terrible the Inhumans was.

I also liked how powerful these characters like Strange and Wanda have become. The level of "magic" that they pulled out was crazy.
CoachRTM
AG
Oh yea - the crowd I was in was literally laughing at the absurdity of the music note battle.
TCTTS
AG
I honestly don't understand what some people expected from this movie…

- It's Doctor Strange. He's a strange character who does strange things in a bunch of strange universes. He lives in kind of a creepy mansion, is theatrical, wears a cape, etc. To me, this movie felt *exactly* like something built on/around those elements, and didn't feel at all out of place in that regard.

- Similarly, it's Sam Raimi, and he gave us a Sam Raimi movie. Which, to me, didn't feel nearly as horror-ish as some people made it out to be. Still, though, again… that's the character. The horror thing "fits" Strange. Same goes for Wanda, especially. Tonally, it just felt like the perfect mesh of those two characters.

- Every character acted on every motivation that's been established/set up for years now. Same goes for the plot lines. IMO, it all felt like a perfectly natural progression of everything that came before.

If it wasn't for you, it wasn't for you. That's fine, I get it. What I don't understand is why it failed to meet expectations? Or, rather, what were those expectations in the first place? Because it's just not a bad movie. You might not have *liked* it, but it's structurally sound, made complete sense motivationally/plot-wise, and again, was a natural progression of everything that's come before.

That, and it was just a hell of a lot of fun.
BoydCrowder13
TCTTS said:

I honestly don't understand what some people expected from this movie…

- It's Doctor Strange. He's a strange character who does strange things in a bunch of strange universe. He lives in kind of a creepy mansion, he's theatrical, wears a cape, etc. To me, this movie felt *exactly* like something built on/around all those elements. It didn't feel at all out of place in that regard.

- Similarly, it's Sam Raimi. And he gave us a Sam Raimi movie. Which, to me, didn't feel nearly as horror-ish as some people made it out to be. Still, though, again… that's the character. The horror thing "fits" him. Same goes for Wanda, especially. Tonally, it just felt like the *perfect* mesh those two characters.

- Every character acted on every motivation that's been established/set up for years now. Same goes for the plot lines. IMO, it all felt like a perfectly natural progression of everything that's come before.

If it wasn't for you, it wasn't for you. That's fine, and I get it. What I don't understand is why it failed to meet expeditions? Or, rather, what were those expectations were in the first place? Because it's just not a bad movie. Again, you might not have *liked* it, but it's structurally sound, made complete sense motivationally/plot-wise, and again, was natural progression of everything that's come before, etc.

That, and it was just a lot fun.

I think some people expected Tom Cruise to show up as Iron Man or something.
TCTTS
AG
Honestly, I half expected that too. But the second I realized we weren't getting that kind of movie, it was pretty easy to re-acclimate and enjoy it for what it was. That said, we still got Krasinski as Reed Richards - which is massive - and a ton of other cool things like it too.
johncAG
AG
Every thing I would have said about this movie has been said already

Enjoyed it more than I thought I would after seeing reviews. Wanda and America Chavez were both great and hopefully involved more. Horror aspect was different in a good way.

The only negative thing I have about the movie is that it confirms what I was worried about (TCTTS has mentioned it before but I was still holding out hope until this movie). What is the end goal? We know that the end of Loki will be important but how are the remaining Avengers getting back together? How are the future teams ups coming? I think we have to realize that the Feige Brain Trust is not as far along on the next step as a lot would have thought post Endgame. I think CoVid probably messed up schedules but the only announced project in the new future that has any hope at moving the grand plot along is Ant Man. I really hoped we would have gotten some groundwork on how the X-Men/F4 would be coming. But is that really Disneys fault? Or are we the audience expecting too much now. It's a similar way I feel about the Disney Plus shows. I have enjoyed everyone in different ways but so far, only Loki and Wandavision (in this movie) has felt like it was required watching for the big picture.
BoydCrowder13
TCTTS said:

Honestly, I half expected that too. But the second I realized we weren't getting that kind of movie, it was pretty easy to re-acclimate and enjoy it for what it was. That said, we still got Krasinski as Reed Richards - which is massive - and a ton of other cool things like it too.

I consider myself a pretty big MCU fan. I've been a little underwhelmed by phase 4 and the Disney + shows have been hit or miss.

But I don't think this was close to the worst MCU movie. Certainly better than:

Thor Dark World
Incredible Hulk
Iron Man 2
Captain Marvel
Black Widow
Eternals

I think it is better than Dr Strange 1 as well.
Sports-Ag
AG
I thought it was entertaining and had some gruesome deaths was a little surprising but didn't mind. I feel like the Marvel movies should do that from time to time.

Scarlet Witch was great as the villain and played it great. The crowd let out a huge cheer seeing Krasinski and Professor X but wished the commercial preview did not show a clip of Professor X chair which ruin the surprise. The death scenes of the Illuminati was not what I expected but glad it with that way to give Scarlet that ultimate villain feel for the movie. Someone on here mentioned it was like Invincible at the end of episode 1 which I can agree on.

So America opens up the multiverse when she's scares but didn't understand why it didn't open up more when Scarlet was chasing or had her. I know America can't control it but felt like the multiverse could have opened a few times here and there when she was scared out of her mind.
TCTTS
AG
johncAG said:

Every thing I would have said about this movie has been said already

Enjoyed it more than I thought I would after seeing reviews. Wanda and America Chavez were both great and hopefully involved more. Horror aspect was different in a good way.

The only negative thing I have about the movie is that it confirms what I was worried about (TCTTS has mentioned it before but I was still holding out hope until this movie). What is the end goal? We know that the end of Loki will be important but how are the remaining Avengers getting back together? How are the future teams ups coming? I think we have to realize that the Feige Brain Trust is not as far along on the next step as a lot would have thought post Endgame. I think CoVid probably messed up schedules but the only announced project in the new future that has any hope at moving the grand plot along is Ant Man. I really hoped we would have gotten some groundwork on how the X-Men/F4 would be coming. But is that really Disneys fault? Or are we the audience expecting too much now. It's a similar way I feel about the Disney Plus shows. I have enjoyed everyone in different ways but so far, only Loki and Wandavision (in this movie) has felt like it was required watching for the big picture.

Well put. And yeah, right there with you. To me, the MCU isn't just a bunch of connected stories. It's connected stories that are actively building toward something. At least that's what it was for 11 years. But it feels like Marvel no longer cares about that distinction now. And sure, it all very well could be leading toward Secret Wars or whatever, but they're not cluing us into that fact. That's the difference. Give us morsels. Give us better hints. Just make it more apparent that this is all going to pay off in a bigger way, even if it's not until, say, three years from now.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
Spider-Man FFH was a multiverse movie that surprised me for how well it worked at balancing all the characters and cameos with telling an emotional story. Multiverse of Madness was disappointing in that it just didn't do that well IMO.

Cameos: they all felt SUPER fan service-y and then were just used to show how strong Wanda was. It was like the writers wanted big deaths without any actual stakes. They were "shocking" and gruesome but like, didn't really matter.

Story: yeah grief and regret and finding contentment in your universe or whatever. I think, without Elizabeth Olsen's incredible performance (she carries this thing on her back), that the emotional thru line would have been impossible to grab on to. The writing just felt, lame? The scene where Strange and Chavez are walking through flowery NYC felt like it was from a bad episode of a sci-fi series. Also was that universe using a high frame rate?

I think the horror adjacent elements were cool. Again, Elizabeth Olsen does Oscar worthy work here. Everything else just felt hallow to me. It's not Thor 2 bad, but definitely down on that level for me.
TexasAggie_02
AG
I wonder if the universes that have mom wanda are ones where Cap signs the Sokovia accords? Avengers never break up, they all fight Thanos together and beat him, everyone lives happily ever after.... Except Steve bc they never discover time travel.
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I do have a theory on how this story plays into the greater MCU arc.

The book of Ashanti or whatever is supposed to give you what you need to fight your enemy. It's destroyed but the page we see has a star on it. I think Chavez was created by someone using that book and she will be the key to fighting whoever the big bad ends up being.
wangus12
AG
I think the biggest disappointment most people will have is with it not really building on the MCU. As we've discussed multiple times, Phase 4 has felt like a bunch of singular stories with no arc, but then you had Spiderman NWH (with Dr. Strange) really build of the multiverse. With that happening and knowing that we were getting DS 2, everyone really expected a massive continuation of the multiverse, probably building up a big bad for a possible Avengers level threat.

Instead DS 2 is just another singular story that doesn't really move that train forward and I think that's where most people are let down.
Saxsoon
AG
For me, it finally proved the proof of concept of Disney +.

There is a weird world where Wandavision came out after this, but really I can't see another way you tell this story. It is the sequel to Wandavision and shows that what happens in the tv land can have consequences on the larger universe.

When we heard the little jingle during the first scene with her, I got chills almost as much as the X-Men theme
GreasenUSA
AG
I lowered my expectations for this movie, and I'd say they were mostly met. I thought all of our main actors gave great performances. Some wonderfully grotesque elements. Scarlet Witch contorting herself to climb through one of the reflections was creepy as hell.

It was a lot of fun, and I always love being in a first showing audience of an MCU film, but I don't have a desire to watch it again in theater, like I did with No Way Home and others. I probably rank this near the top of the bottom third of MCU films.
TexasAggie_02
AG
The core plot was logical and easy to follow, but I felt that the execution was like bad fan fiction.
Gigem314
AG
Saw it late last night.

Loved it!

Elizabeth Olsen killed it. A haunting performance as Wanda. Her best yet of all the films. And I love how they rewarded fans that watched WandaVision. If they do another Terminator film, she would be my favorite choice as the new "T-1000" - her cold facial expressions and the way she literally haunts the screen was a highlight of this film. It lived up to its name.

I went into the first Dr Strange film with low expectations, but he's become one of my favorite second tier MCU characters. BC has nailed this role. Less snark than Tony Stark, but enough to carry the torch ("No ****, genius"…"Please Scooby Doo this ****".)

It's Dr Strange, it's going to be weird. But I enjoyed the "horror" vibes and the music, particularly for Wanda.

There were gasps in the audience when "Jim Halpert" showed up the first time. Was not expecting that. It was great to see Patrick Stewart return as Professor X.
MBAR
AG
veryfuller said:

I do have a theory on how this story plays into the greater MCU arc.

The book of Ashanti or whatever is supposed to give you what you need to fight your enemy. It's destroyed but the page we see has a star on it. I think Chavez was created by someone using that book and she will be the key to fighting whoever the big bad ends up being.

Greater mcu? I think that was the point in THIS movie
She's the one who beats Wanda.
MBAR
AG
Honestly it's amazing to me to see people hold up spiderman as great then come here and call this bad fan service.

This is the most out there mcu movie to date. They tried a lot of things that they would never had considered doing before and they worked great. I honestly don't get what there isn't to like about this movie. It's good good action, it's shot well, the score is ****ing weird in a good way, and it's definitely the most gruesome mcu movie and it's not even close.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.