2022 Concerts

82,393 Views | 1123 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by johnnyblaze36
aggiechick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I went to Bon Jovi last night in Dallas. There has to be something wrong more than lack of rehearsing his voice. It's almost like he has a hearing issue. He's nowhere near the notes and is behind in the music. He's never been the best singer but he at least could carry a melody.

And I paid way too much for my ticket. I'm a huge fan and always will be but I won't pretend there's nothing wrong. He was very energetic though and he seemed to really want to be there…….which I heard was not the case in Houston. Only one more stop on this tour. There was talk of a 40th anniversary tour but I don't see how that can happen.
jetch17
AG
Gojira/Deftones in Houston last night killed it

maroon barchetta
Looks like a good mix of olds and not yet olds.
jetch17
AG
Was a good mix of black shirts
maroon barchetta
How you feeling today? Pretty good or "WTH was I thinking trying to mosh"?
jetch17
AG
maroon barchetta said:

How you feeling today? Pretty good or "WTH was I thinking trying to mosh"?

maroon barchetta
bam02
AG
Enjoyed Nathaniel Rateliff at Moody Amphitheater in Austin last night. He and the Nightsweats were outstanding. The venue is nice but nothing special to me.
BCSWguru
saw Willie and George this weekend in Austin. It's baffling how programmed people are in regards to Willie. It was about the most underwhelming performance I've seen in quite some time. George was great, his band was flawless, the mix was amazing. The setlist left a lot to be desired, though.
Proposition Joe
I don't think there's been a performance of Willie that hasn't been underwhelming in 3 decades. Even my parents tell stories of guys having to whisper the words to his own songs to him from back in their day.

He's a legend, but it's akin to going to see Dylan play these days -- you're checking off something on your checklist, not seeing a good show.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Anybody in the Austin area ever been to the venue called the Haute Spot in Cedar Park? Looks pretty cool. Just bought tickets for the Max Weinberg Jukebox show for this Friday there. My good buddy is the guitarist in the band and they have an interactive list from about 300 songs that the crowd selects on demand for them to play.

I've not seen the band before but for anybody nearby I highly suggest checking it out. Chris Holt is also in Don Henley's touring band and an absolute guitar God.

https://www.hautespotvenue.com/
johnnyblaze36
AG
bam02 said:

Enjoyed Nathaniel Rateliff at Moody Amphitheater in Austin last night. He and the Nightsweats were outstanding. The venue is nice but nothing special to me.
Surprised to read this considering how much I loved it. Capitol building in the backdrop, easy beer lines and bathroom access, nice and new within walking distance from Scholz Garten, great sound and atmosphere, laxed security, etc. Friends told me the WEEN and My Morning Jacket shows I missed Thursday and Friday were great.

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss there in September looks tempting.
BCSWguru
johnnyblaze36 said:

Anybody in the Austin area ever been to the venue called the Haute Spot in Cedar Park? Looks pretty cool. Just bought tickets for the Max Weinberg Jukebox show for this Friday there. My good buddy is the guitarist in the band and they have an interactive list from about 300 songs that the crowd selects on demand for them to play.

I've not seen the band before but for anybody nearby I highly suggest checking it out. Chris Holt is also in Don Henley's touring band and an absolute guitar God.

Have tickets for two shows there this summer, am curious about the venue as well.
Echoes97
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Chris is awesome and a tremendous talent (and very nice guy), highly recommend you check him out in whatever projects he's doing. Usually up in the greater Dallas area, lots of tributes and such but trust me go see him! He plays with a buddy of mine for many of those (Big Mike Richardson fellow FW area music guy).
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
Know Your Enemy
AG
Big Mike the guy that does the Zeppelin shows?
Proposition Joe
Big Mike is good people.
Apache
AG
Quote:

I don't think there's been a performance of Willie that hasn't been underwhelming in 3 decades. Even my parents tell stories of guys having to whisper the words to his own songs to him from back in their day.

I heard George Strait mess up the words to songs & that was 10-15 years ago & he doesn't smoke 1/10th of the pot that Willie does.

Last time I saw a really on-point Willie show was probably the early 2000's. I saw him again last night at his birthday bash at his place in Luck. He was joined by Robert Earl Keen, Steve Earl, Nathaniel Rateliff, Sheryl Crowe, Bruce Robison, Margo Price & Phosphorescent.... great lineup that sang their favorite Willie songs.

Willie came out & did about an hour & 15 minute set with a stripped down band (upright base, harmonica & drummer). Really weird not having Bobbi on the piano... she was a huge part of his show. Anyway, his songs were more "fast spoken" than sung, but for 89 guy still brought it. He closed with "I've been to Georgia on a Fast Train" one of my favorite old country songs.

Every time I think I'm going to see him for the last time five years later I'm seeing him again. Hope I can see him for his 94th.
Echoes97
AG
Yep! One of his best friends is the keyboard player in our Floyd project in Houston. We've done acoustic Zep sets before our shows in the past with him, and he sits in w us from time to time. They also do an early Floyd (pre-Dark Side) tribute up there that is a lot of fun. He's a great guy and very talented.
Us And Them - The Pink Floyd Experience
http://www.usandthemband.net
Potcake
AG
A small group of us (50's - 70's) going to Stick Figure at Stubbs on Saturday. What time do the headliners usually come on?
goadius6
AG
My wonderful wife let me go see My Morning Jacket in Dallas on Thursday while she stayed home and took care of 1 week and 3 day old baby!

MMJ is at the absolute top of their game right now and that's saying something after being around for nearly 25 years. They are still writing new heaters, while also expanding old songs and jams to new heights.

Pure, absolute rock'n'roll.
BenFiasco14
AG
Saw George Strait on Saturday in Austin. Randy Rogers and Willie Nelson opened.

About halfway through George's set, Willie came back out and the two sat down and played/sang together. Was really cool.

Great show of course. The king is still the king.
CNN is an enemy of the state and should be treated as such.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Anyone in Austin go to The Who? Wondering how they sound these days.
dmart90
AG
They rocked!
bam02
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

bam02 said:

Surprised to read this considering how much I loved it. Capitol building in the backdrop, easy beer lines and bathroom access, nice and new within walking distance from Scholz Garten, great sound and atmosphere, laxed security, etc. Friends told me the WEEN and My Morning Jacket shows I missed Thursday and Friday were great.

Fair points and I agree I probably took several of those amenities for granted. We had seats and I would have preferred standing down front in GA, I suppose. Beer and restroom lines were not a thing and that was nice! Acoustics weren't anything to write home about and I think that's where my comments came from. Last show we came to Austin for was at ACL theater and it was outstanding acoustics.
Jim01
AG
Bought tickets for Metric @ House of Blues in Houston in September.

It's concert week and $25 all in tickets are on sale. Might pull the trigger on seeing Royal Blood next week at Revention Center.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
I wasn't a big fan of his but then I saw Garth at the Summit in the 90's. Amazing show.

Went this weekend in Baton Rouge for his stadium tour. That old man still puts on a show. Apparently it registered as an earthquake.

https://www.chron.com/culture/music/amp/Garth-Brooks-concert-earthquake-17145870.php
MarleyFeed97
AG
Came here to see if anyone is going to Stick Figure in Dallas tonight?
-MarleyFeed97
jorgerr96
I went. Show was fine, definitely softer than the last time I saw them (2017). That being said, something that bothered me a lot is the drums. I am a fan of Zak Starkey, but ever since 2019 he switched to e-drums, and they sounded extremely low on the floor. The Roland cymbals sounded HORRIBLE, super fake sounding. I guess he has to play on that kit because of Pete's hearing.
johnnyblaze36
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

Suddenly postponed to the Fall. Likely during an Aggie football game.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Echoes97 said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

Chris is awesome and a tremendous talent (and very nice guy), highly recommend you check him out in whatever projects he's doing. Usually up in the greater Dallas area, lots of tributes and such but trust me go see him! He plays with a buddy of mine for many of those (Big Mike Richardson fellow FW area music guy).
Oh wow! I only first discovered Big Mike when Covid hit and Chris started doing his All Request Thursday series and he would promote Mike a lot and talk about him on the fly. Then I would see some live streams. Super talented. Watched one of his Elton John tribute show's that Chris sat in with at Lola's I think and Big Mike was killer.
johnnyblaze36
AG
Echoes97 said:

Yep! One of his best friends is the keyboard player in our Floyd project in Houston. We've done acoustic Zep sets before our shows in the past with him, and he sits in w us from time to time. They also do an early Floyd (pre-Dark Side) tribute up there that is a lot of fun. He's a great guy and very talented.
Sorry for the slight derail but you'll appreciate this. I loaned Chris my Dragon the day after Thanksgiving last year shortly after I got it. ******* still has it and just played in a Zeppelin tribute band with it in Dallas and who knows when I'm getting it back but here is when I handed it off.

I also just listened to the "Have a Cigar" on your band's page. Excellent!!

https://vimeo.com/manage/videos/633908253

Know Your Enemy
AG
jorgerr96 said:

I went. Show was fine, definitely softer than the last time I saw them (2017). That being said, something that bothered me a lot is the drums. I am a fan of Zak Starkey, but ever since 2019 he switched to e-drums, and they sounded extremely low on the floor. The Roland cymbals sounded HORRIBLE, super fake sounding. I guess he has to play on that kit because of Pete's hearing.

Yeah, I was really looking forward to Zak but he's been underwhelming so far. It's the electronic drums for sure. Hate those thing. Pete's voice is gone too. Said he always gets sick in Dallas, blamed it on the A/C in the hotel. Roger complained about allergies here but he sounds great. The band as a whole are lacking that power punch I was hoping for.
jorgerr96
They complained about the arena in Austin as well. Something about how all these arenas don't sound well because they are made for sports or something like that. Then some banter about Willie that caused a few boos.
johnnyblaze36
AG
bam02 said:

johnnyblaze36 said:

bam02 said:

Fair points and I agree I probably took several of those amenities for granted. We had seats and I would have preferred standing down front in GA, I suppose. Beer and restroom lines were not a thing and that was nice! Acoustics weren't anything to write home about and I think that's where my comments came from. Last show we came to Austin for was at ACL theater and it was outstanding acoustics.
My first and only show at ACL Moody theater was Billy Strings back in December and you are right-the sound in that venue is incredible.
Know Your Enemy
AG
jorgerr96 said:

They complained about the arena in Austin as well. Something about how all these arenas don't sound well because they are made for sports or something like that. Then some banter about Willie that caused a few boos.

No complaints about the arena. Just that they both always get sick in Dallas but like I said Roger sounds fantastic.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.