*** SUCCESSION - Season 3 ***

85,570 Views | 853 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by MooreTrucker
htxag09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

Roman's joke about not being able to get a drink at Shiv's wedding, and Kendall's reaction. "Please, man."

Freaking hysterical. Even funnier on rewatch

I don't think I've seen a better television scene that balanced soul-baring vulnerability and ******** humor than that scene between Jeremy Strong and Kieran Culkin. **** was legit Shakespearean in terms of that kind of simultaneous laugh/cry split.
I just watched all three seasons in the last few weeks. I found the Season 1-2 threads and would read that weeks posts after I watched the episodes. Same for this season/thread. I enjoyed it, but don't think I did as much as the rest of y'all. This scene was a good example, don't get me wrong, it was a good scene, and I laughed at some of the comedic relief in it and it was a good balance, but the whole time I was simply remembering they're making these jokes about someone being dead.

Also, I don't really understand the kids' whole blow up in the final episode. They had a chance to sell, they didn't, that seemed like it was going to be a huge mistake based on how everything unfolded (Ken, DOJ, etc.), now they have a second chance. Take advantage of it, damnit. Especially Ken, who was just begging to be bought out. They're all worthless, any ways. Take the money, try some new pet project that's also likely to fail, rinse, repeat.
TCTTS
AG
These are broken people who want power, access, and influence just as much as if not more than money. That's what the finale episode/blow up was about. That, and their father at last finally and officially pushing them aside. They were losing everything they valued, and it was their own father taking it all away. Starting new ventures won't replace the intangibles Waystar Royco gave them.
htxag09
AG
Yeah, I get that. And I get the premise of the show is that exactly.

But talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. I guess that's why Logan is in charge. He sees the 2nd chance opportunity after previously making a mistake.

A couple other questions I just thought of. Do rich people really refer to them as PJs?

Also, they continued using their private jets. I assume it's just on their own dime not the company's now?
dc509
AG
htxag09 said:

Yeah, I get that. And I get the premise of the show is that exactly.

But talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face. I guess that's why Logan is in charge. He sees the 2nd chance opportunity after previously making a mistake.

A couple other questions I just thought of. Do rich people really refer to them as PJs?

Also, they continued using their private jets. I assume it's just on their own dime not the company's now?
Remember in the last scene when he calls them effing morons? That's why Logan is in charge. Logan is also in charge because it's his company, and at the end of the day that the point. One of the overall themes of the show was that each kid got a shot at taking over, but they all blew it. That's why he finally agreed to sell. Re-watching with my wife you could see the specific moment when the three important kids each blew it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Quote:

but the whole time I was simply remembering they're making these jokes about someone being dead.
I know you say you get the premise of the show, and I don't mean to call you out, but that's WHY it's funny, to me anyway. These are despicable people, and in Ken's most intense and vulnerable moment, he still can't help himself but joke about the dead waiter.

I mean if you don't see the comedy in that...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
But even aside from the comedy aspect, I think it's an important character moment that shows just how difficult it is for Roman to show genuine emotion. It's like he's allergic to it.

He is my favorite part of this season and I hope he gets the Emmy this year.
Quinn
AG
what were the three specific moments?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The ones that come to mind:

1. Kendall: Obviously gotta be the failed vote of no confidence. Though I think there may be another one before that?

2. Shiv: Telling the Pierces she was the choice before it was time to do so.

3. Roman: Obvious, right? And the most perfect and hilarious way for him to sabotage himself. I think he got the closest of the three.
dc509
AG
Quinn said:

what were the three specific moments?
1. When Kendall can't close Vaulter
2. When Shiv won't quit Gil's campaign and come in when he tells her too.
3. When Roman sends him a dick pick.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Interesting that we came to different ones for Kendall and Shiv.

I think there are probably multiple ones for those two.
htxag09
AG
I feel like there were several moments when the kids blew it, they basically blew every chance they had. Another example that would work for basically all of them was when Logan was incapacitated with UTI. The kids were on their own for a couple hours and all 3 failed.
dc509
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Interesting that we came to different ones for Kendall and Shiv.

I think there are probably multiple ones for those two.
Oh they definitely disappoint him many times. On the re-watch the Vaulter moment stood out the most to me for Kendall.

Shiv did as well, but go back and watch the scene when he tells her it's time to come in and she tells him he has to wait.
Phrasing
AG
Ok, how about some predictions for Season 4:

(1) Does Tom and Shiv's marriage crumble/end? Or do they stay together on paper and just lead separate lives?
(2) Does Logan actually have another kid after "scrambling the fighters" and drinking all those virility smoothies?
(3) Does Skarsgard become a permanent cast member?
(4) Do we get another wedding episode for Connor/Willa? Is it the season finale again?
(5) Does Season 4 start immediately where we left off like all the other previous seasons? (I would really love to see the first private conversation that Tom/Shiv have after the final scene, but I could see them starting Season 4 several months removed from this season after the acquisition has been completed).
TCTTS
AG
Phrasing said:

Ok, how about some predictions for Season 4:

(1) Does Tom and Shiv's marriage crumble/end? Or do they stay together on paper and just lead separate lives?
Marriage stays together on paper, if only so Shiv can retain access on the "inside" via Tom. That said, I could see their marriage ending by the end of the season.
(2) Does Logan actually have another kid after "scrambling the fighters" and drinking all those virility smoothies? If only because I want to see him and his four children react to a fifth, yes. Could be comedy gold.
(3) Does Skarsgard become a permanent cast member?
Permanent reoccurring member. Not in every episode, but frequently enough.
(4) Do we get another wedding episode for Connor/Willa? Is it the season finale again?
We get another wedding episode, but it's not the finale.
(5) Does Season 4 start immediately where we left off like all the other previous seasons? (I would really love to see the first private conversation that Tom/Shiv have after the final scene, but I could see them starting Season 4 several months removed from this season after the acquisition has been completed).
We pick up several months later for a change. The acquisition has been completed, we're dropped into whatever new ventures the kids are trying to get off the ground, Kerry (Logan's assistant) is potentially even pregnant now, etc.
Phrasing
AG
I agree with all of this basically. I am having a harder time seeing the marriage stay together, but it's definitely possible. I think part of that is just my desire for Tom to get out from under her and make is own way.

If Keri is pregnant, I'm trying to imagine how Marcia would react? Go nuclear or just gut him for more money? But if the acquisition is already done, maybe it doesn't as matter as much. (If I remember correctly, she had all the leverage when he wanted a good clean family image for the shareholder meeting and proxy battle - but maybe that isn't a factor anymore).

Def think we start a few months after Season 3 as well, even though I really want to see the fall out from Shiv and the breakdown she would have.
dc509
AG
TCTTS said:

Phrasing said:

We pick up several months later for a change. The acquisition has been completed, we're dropped into whatever new ventures the kids are trying to get off the ground, Kerry (Logan's assistant) is potentially even pregnant now, etc.

This would be cool. Though I don't think the acquisition will have been completed though.

Hot Prediction: Logan dies at the end of Season 4 right before everything is closed. This gives Marcia double voting shares in the holding company, and that takes us to Season 5.
Ervin Burrell
AG
I think if someone is going to be pregnant in season 4, it'll be Shiv. Throws a wrench into her already fractured relationship with Tom, and they spent a sh/t ton of time alluding to them trying in season 3. And, IIRC, she holds her stomach during that last scene after Tom touches her shoulders...could be foreshadowing, could not be. We shall see.

edit - just rewatched and she clutches her abdomen right before Tom comes to "console" her.
TCTTS
AG
Good call. I like that.
Phrasing
AG
Ervin Burrell said:

I think if someone is going to be pregnant in season 4, it'll be Shiv. Throws a wrench into her already fractured relationship with Tom, and they spent a sh/t ton of time alluding to them trying in season 3. And, IIRC, she holds her stomach during that last scene after Tom touches her shoulders...could be foreshadowing, could not be. We shall see.

edit - just rewatched and she clutches her abdomen right before Tom comes to "console" her.

Holy moly. Good call.
mazzag
AG
I took her clutching her stomach as a sign of sickness knowing what Tom did. I thought she wanted a surrogate?
jackie childs
shiv being pregnant on the heels of her mom saying she should not have had children and her husband betraying her would be devastating
dc509
AG
jackie childs said:

shiv being pregnant on the heels of her mom saying she should not have had children and her husband betraying her would be devastating
That would be epic.
Ervin Burrell
AG
mazzag said:

I took her clutching her stomach as a sign of sickness knowing what Tom did. I thought she wanted a surrogate?
I remember her talking about wanting to put some eggs on ice but can't recall talk of a surrogate. There was definitely a scene where they got down to business in a hotel room though (can't remember if it was that scene where she emasculated him or another one).
jac4
AG
Am I the only one that wants to see a spinoff where Connor is president and Willa is first lady?
TCTTS
AG
Would watch that in a heartbeat.
Phrasing
AG
jac4 said:

Am I the only one that wants to see a spinoff where Connor is president and Willa is first lady?
Yes! Willa is my favorite underrated character on this show. The line in the birthday episode in the birth canal where she said "Okay. Immersive theater. I mean, I could have consulted, but whatever." had me rolling.

dc509
AG
jac4 said:

I'm in.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good read.

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/awards/story/2022-02-15/kieran-culkin-succession-hbo-roman-roy-transcript
TCTTS
AG
TCTTS
AG
Season three began filming toward the end of 2020, then premiered October '21. So a roughly ten-month gap, which would put season four premiering around April/May 2023, if that same schedule holds. I image they could probably swing a March premiere too, since that's when the second round of HBO shows usually debut each year.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Literally Roman and Greg here.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Critics Choice wins:

Best Drama
Best Supporting Actor - Culkin
Best Supporting Actress - Snook
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
This is pretty funny.

Texaggie7nine
BowSowy said:

Brian Earl Spilner said:

I guess my other question with Tom is how can he possibly trust Logan to secure him any position once GoJo takes over?

Kinda worried for him that this may backfire for him before it's all said and done.
Tom offered to take the fall and go to jail for Logan. And then alerted him to the sibling coup. There's not a single major character in this show who's more in Logan's favor than Tom. No one knows how much they can trust Logan, but Tom has walked the walk for him.
I'm so glad I decided to read this thread. We just started watching this series last month and finished it the other day. I was completely under the impression that Tom was talking Greg into joining team Logan's kids to take out Logan and when Logan said "I won't forget" to Tom he was talking about how Tom offered to go to jail for him.

I was thinking Tom screwed Greg over by jumping fully in with the wrong team right before Logan beat them.
7nine
TCTTS
AG
LFG!!! Season four has started filming!!!

https://instagr.am/p/CfWwyJcLEC7

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.