Mythbusters plan to uncover plane on conveyor belt

94,967 Views | 2087 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by toucan82
Red Skye
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is hopeless. I'm starting to lose hope for mankind. If you're trolling, thanks. Thanks a lot. I now have go take my life.

[This message has been edited by Red Skye (edited 1/31/2008 11:12p).]
Ag with kids
AG
Someone just doesn't get it...
Texaggie7nine
quote:
I can't make a valid argument. Thanks a lot. I now have go take my life.

FIFY

OneManArmy
quote:

That's pointless, because then, if the plane is going 25 mph forward, relative to the ground, then it is going 25 mph relative to the ground and it takes off. So why even pose the question of the myth.

Basically the myth should be cut off at "the plane is moving forward at takeoff speed, relative to the ground" and that would be end of story. You can say anything after that but it would not negate that you stated that the plane is going at takeoff speed relative to the ground.

The purpose of the question is to test a person's reasoning skills. Not everyone would immediately understand that the plane will take off. The freaking pilot on the mythbusters episode didn't even understand the situation.
Red Skye
AG
Rex, your thread made me sad. I have like one strand of hope left. I'm one Bush speach away from offing myself.

[This message has been edited by Red Skye (edited 1/31/2008 11:58p).]
Red Skye
AG
OneManArmy is correct. It's like a logic puzzle.

[This message has been edited by Red Skye (edited 2/1/2008 12:00a).]
Texaggie7nine
quote:
The purpose of the question is to test a person's reasoning skills

Then it should be a brain teaser and there would be no reason, what so ever to even try it.

I was so friggin pissed off after spending a whole hour watching mythbusters thinking they would actually come up with a way to make it stationary. When they started moving both at the same time it was such a let down. I knew before that wasted hour that the plane would take off if that was the case.

To me that would be the challenge. Make it stationary, for however short a period of time. Hell even I figured out how to do it.

[This message has been edited by Texaggie7nine (edited 2/1/2008 12:09a).]
Red Skye
AG
As OneManArmy said, the whole point of the puzzle is that it is not intuitive that the plane will take off. People think that the conveyor belt will cause the plane to stay in place, which is never the case. Once you think through it and apply physics, you realize that the plane will take off no matter what the speed of the conveyor, as the forward velocity of the plane and the backward velocity of the conveyor are almost entirely (expect for a small amount of friction) mutually exclusive.

[This message has been edited by Red Skye (edited 2/1/2008 12:13a).]
OneManArmy
quote:
I was so friggin pissed off after spending a whole hour watching mythbusters thinking they would actually come up with a way to make it stationary.

IIIHorn
ttt for jokershady
gambochaman
AG
holy carp this idiot tex is still griping about this?

hasnt he realized we're smarter than him already?
Texaggie7nine
It's not about who's more smart. It's about me being smarter.

coconutED
AG
quote:
I already explained earlier how it could be accomplished in practice for a moment.

Sorry, that won't cut it. The plane may be stationary for a moment, (btw, we call this a trivial solution) but it is still accelerating forward. That single solitary moment of zero velocity will not prevent the airplane from moving forward and taking off.

But if it makes you feel better, then yes, at that single, brief point in time when the airspeed is zero, the plane will not take off.
IIIHorn
quote:
It's not about who's more smart.

gambochaman
AG
quote:
It's about me being smarter.

like i has a crayon smarter?
videoag98
IIIHorn
ttt for video
Texaggie7nine
quote:
But if it makes you feel better, then yes, at that single, brief point in time when the airspeed is zero, the plane will not take off

And that is the way the myth is worded. Because only at that moment is the plane and belt direction moving away from each other at the same speed.

gambochaman
riley290
AG
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ORAggieFan
quote:
And that is the way the myth is worded.
No, it's not.

If a conveyor belt is set to the same speed as required for a plane to takeoff, in the opposite direction, will the plane take off?
NeuroticAg
AG
I find it highly amusing that gambo is calling everyone stupid but fails to understand how people are changing the basic conditions of the experiment in order to attempt to prevent the plane from taking off.

That's what I call ownage.
gambochaman
AG
oh i see it dont worry

but those conditions are not contained within the original myth

hth
NeuroticAg
AG
The fact that those conditions are not contained in the original idea is irrelevant. You are calling people stupid for attempting to come up with new and innovative (relatively) to keep the plane on the ground.

Let me guess, you're an engineer who is incapable of thinking beyond what you learned in school?
CDUB98
AG
WATCH IT BIO-BOY!!
NeuroticAg
AG
Just teachin' the young Gambo to think in theoretical abstracts.
BrazosDog02
AG
So, i take it no one watched the youtube link?

Dood did a free body diagram, even though common sense told me it would take off before, its pretty nice to see it solved mathematically and physically.
gambochaman
AG
neurotic i appreciate the lesson

however im quite the creative person

BUT

i fail to see how there is any discussion in wheels locked, or engine turned off modifications to the myth
NeuroticAg
AG
No, I was referring to the idea that assuming an indestructible plane and conveyor belt and a conveyor belt capable of infinite speeds, could you run the conveyor belt fast enough to prevent the plane from taking off? (in essence, using just the friction generated from the plane wheels moving at super speeds).
CDUB98
AG
That's called over thinking the myth and shows a lack of common sense from Ph.D. morons like you.
gambochaman
AG
but then we could also assume perfectly frictionless wheels and then the conveyor is moot again
gambochaman
AG
what cdub said
NeuroticAg
AG
Many people mocked Einstein for overthinking light, gravity and time when he developed his theories of relativity.

Don't blame me or say that I lack common sense because YOU are incapable or unwilling to think beyond your own pathetic little world.
NeuroticAg
AG
Also, what does the original myth have to do with common sense? We don't have any conveyors that big and are unlikely to do so in the near future.
VikingNik
AG
Anyone still arguing that the plane wouldn't take off even if dragged backwards a little at the start is a goddanged dumbfook. Anyone arguing that matching the speed of the wheels would keep the plane from moving forward is a goddanged dumbfook^2. Please if you are in any engineering field or a physicist please tear up your degree and apply for a job at McDonalds. Every concept necessary was demonstrated by the Mythbusters and is logically obvious even without the video results.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.