Mythbusters plan to uncover plane on conveyor belt

94,965 Views | 2087 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by toucan82
simplified
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Link:http://community.discovery.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9801967776/m/5321919039/p/1

quote:
Airplane Hour
(Weds., December 12 at 9 PM ET/PT)
Adam and Jamie find out if either of them can safely land a Boeing 747-400 on a runway in varying weather conditions. Meanwhile, Kari, Tory and Grant risk life and limb to investigate skydiving myths regularly featured in Hollywood action films. Is it possible to catch up with someone in freefall if that person jumps out a plane before you do? Can you really hold a conversation during freefall? And would you survive if you opened your parachute only a few feet off the ground? Finally, Adam and Jamie carefully navigate their way through a myth that has baffled everyone from web bloggers to pilots. If a plane is traveling at takeoff speed on a conveyor belt, and the belt is matching that speed in the opposite direction, can the plane take off? Extensive small-scale testing with a super treadmill and a nearly uncontrollable model airplane don't completely resolve the myth, so our flight cadets supersize the myth with help from a willing pilot and his Ultralight flying machine.

ac04
holy crap
IIIHorn
The conveyor is moot!
OneManArmy
allsome
Flaith
TriAg2010
AG
Is it even possible to create the conditions properly?

And yeah, the conveyor is moot.
Herbie Hancock
CDUB98
AG
argh

The plane will take off.
OneManArmy
and yes, the plane will take off.
Jerzzy
cool
Old Style
RANGER65 TOLD THEM THEY'D BETTER GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS.
rtrd
if the conveyor is long enough, it will take off
MonkeyKnifeFighter
Flaith
AG
maybe i'm reading this wrong, or maybe i'm just retarded, but they wanna make a plane take off by accelerating the WHEELS on a conveyor belt?

are they serious?
ac04
i think you might be retarded
OneManArmy
Mythbusters will probably screw this up by not making the conveyor long enough.
ba05
AG
great show
Caliber
AG
you've got to be kidding me? As amusing as this show is, they are 2 of the most retarded people on TV that are supposed to be serious. I say that despite all the real world physics verifying that the conveyor is moot, they will say its busted and can't take off, or at best "plausible it could take off but not probable".
Flaith
AG
the conveyor is moot
simplified
AG
Anyone who has any idea how a plane works should know it will take off
coltjimclemens
Will it take off in a vacuum?

[This message has been edited by coltjimclemens (edited 10/24/2007 12:01p).]
OneManArmy
quote:
They finally listened to the MkF!. I hope I get username-credit on the show.

Now you idiots that doubted me will finally realize how right I have been since the inception of that thread.

That was the most arrogant and self-absorbed post I have read in a while.
MonkeyKnifeFighter
MonkeyKnifeFighter
IIIHorn
THE CONVEYOR IS MOOT!
simplified
AG
quote:

a conventional airplane would be completely worthless in a vacuum.
Oh Four Five
AG
Sweet! I finally have a reason to use the popcorn.
millertyme
AG
If the conveyor is moot, why does it matter what the length is?
Ag with kids
AG
Just how fast will the freestream air be moving over the wings when the conveyor belt is moving the wheels?

That will give you a little hint about whether it will be able to lift off...

(HINT: The V^2 in the lift equation has to do with the air velocity over the wings, not the velocity of the tires on the plane)

quote:
if you are going to blow the chronic you shouldn't post afterward
coltjimclemens
quote:
simplified
posted 12:03p, 10/24/07

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a conventional airplane would be completely worthless in a vacuum.

Exactly, I think this is where people think that the plane will not take off. It would not in a vacuum. People think of everything in science experiment terms and think of everything in very controled environments (educated people at least) and so I think that both people who say it will take off and will not take off have a pretty good argument.
NeuroticAg
AG
quote:
and the belt is matching that speed in the opposite direction, can the plane take off?

The key question here is: Will the conveyor match the speed of the rotating wheels, or the plane itself? This makes all the difference.
oldyeller
AG
The issue with the plane and conveyor is whether or not the conveyor belt's matching the plane's speed will nullify the wind speed at the wing, and the "myth" is probably based on wheel based speed calculations. If I had my car on a conveyor that matched my wheel speed, and I stuck my hand outside the window, I doubt I'll feel any resistance since I am not actually moving anywhere. Now if we are talking about wind speed at the wing, then yeah, the conveyor is gonna be moot since wind speed will be based upon air movement over the wing which is gonna give you the lift you need.
IIIHorn
The plane will take off.

The conveyor is moot.
OneManArmy
quote:

you've got to be kidding me? As amusing as this show is, they are 2 of the most retarded people on TV that are supposed to be serious. I say that despite all the real world physics verifying that the conveyor is moot, they will say its busted and can't take off, or at best "plausible it could take off but not probable".

I was thinking the same thing. I frequently get pissed off at that show because they are always jumping to conclusions based on half-arsed "experiments." They must know this guy:

IIIHorn
The wheels do not provide the propulsion for the airplane.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.