Mythbusters plan to uncover plane on conveyor belt

91,634 Views | 2087 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by toucan82
McInnis 03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Only if you were to have insanely large fans in front of the aircraft forcing the fluid over the vanes (airplane wings) would you have a situation where the plane would lift. At that point in time if the engines were generating enough forward thrust you could continue to fly forward.

A plane could be on a parked piece of concrete not moving facing into a headwind of 500 mph and it would ascend vertically if you were able to balance the direction of the air flow as the plane ascended.
tlepoC
AG
the plane does not have zero velocity in any situation unless you sped the conveyor up to absolute ridiculous speeds that created enough friction somehow to prevent the thrust from moving it forward

the plane moves forward and takes off

there really is no real world scenario where a conveyor could keep the plane still
Tree Hugger
AG
DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE DIE

YellowPot_97
AG
quote:
All of the forward motion of the plane comes from the planes engines, which are in no way affected by the treadmill. The engines are grabbing air that is standing still in front of them, and pushing it away from the plane, the wheels are only along for the ride. Imagine if you had roller skates on your feet and were standing on a treadmill holding a stationary rope that outstretches in front of you. As the treadmill tries to push you backwards, your grasp on the rope keeps you stationary and your wheels spin. Now, someone begins to reel that rope in. The treadmill can try and compensate, but it only means your wheels spin faster, you will move forward in relative space. The same is true for the plane, only instead of grabbing a rope, the plane grabs the still air in front of it. If you were a passenger on such plane, you wouldn't even notice anything different was happening.
YellowPot_97
AG
girls that leave HH early
Post removed:
by user
McInnis 03
AG
The way I understand the problem is that the conveyor belt is moving at an equal and opposite direction of the planes thrust, therefore canceling out any of the forward motion of the plane, is this not correct?

200 -> + 200 <- = 0
Reloadags1998
AG
Will not take off

will take off

Now ask yourself this, what is the major difference the methods of propulsion of the two vehicles?
YellowPot_97
AG
me too!!
YellowPot_97
AG
Not correct McInnis
Post removed:
by user
McInnis 03
AG
Ahhhhhhhhhh, perhaps I need to re-read the problem statement.
TexasRebel
AG
mcinnis,

velocity != thrust
YellowPot_97
AG
Read this McInnis. Easiest explanation.

quote:
All of the forward motion of the plane comes from the planes engines, which are in no way affected by the treadmill. The engines are grabbing air that is standing still in front of them, and pushing it away from the plane, the wheels are only along for the ride. Imagine if you had roller skates on your feet and were standing on a treadmill holding a stationary rope that outstretches in front of you. As the treadmill tries to push you backwards, your grasp on the rope keeps you stationary and your wheels spin. Now, someone begins to reel that rope in. The treadmill can try and compensate, but it only means your wheels spin faster, you will move forward in relative space. The same is true for the plane, only instead of grabbing a rope, the plane grabs the still air in front of it. If you were a passenger on such plane, you wouldn't even notice anything different was happening.
McInnis 03
AG
This was the problem statement I read...

quote:
"A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyer). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction. This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction). Can the plane take off?"
Reloadags1998
AG
quote:
therefore canceling out any of the forward motion of the plane, is this not correct?

No it is not, how could a force on the wheels of an aircraft keep it from moving unless it were physically holding the wheels.

[This message has been edited by Reloadags1998 (edited 12/14/2007 2:28p).]
WC87
AG
I'm going with AiT. In a perfect world with Vr=0 I never could understand how lift could happen.

I love me some rollergirl.
McInnis 03
AG
Interesting point of view, I'm going to remove myself from the discussion now. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong and it won't be the first time.
SuperAg05
AG
quote:
Here's the original question: "A plane is standing on a runway that can move (some sort of band conveyer). The plane moves in one direction, while the conveyer moves in the opposite direction. This conveyer has a control system that tracks the plane speed and tunes the speed of the conveyer to be exactly the same (but in the opposite direction). Can the plane take off?" (The Straight Dope: 060203.)

The implicit assumption is that if the conveyor belt's speed backward exactly counteracts the airplane's "speed" (whatever that means) forward, the plane remains stationary relative to the earth and, more importantly, to the air. (We assume the winds are calm.) With no wind moving past its wings, the plane generates no lift and can't take off.

But the assumption is false.
While the conveyor does exert some modest backward force on the plane, that force is easily overcome by the thrust of the engines pulling the plane ahead. The plane moves forward at roughly its usual speed relative to the ground and air, generates lift, and takes off. Many people have a hard time grasping this (although it can be easily demonstrated in the lab), but eventually they do, smack their foreheads, and move on. We'll call this Basic Realization #1.

Message-board discussions of this question tend to feature a lot of posters who haven't yet arrived at BR #1 talking right past those who have, insisting more and more loudly that the plane won't take off. Then there's a whole other breed of disputants who, whether or not they've cracked the riddle as originally posed, prefer to reframe it by proposing progressively more esoteric assumptions, refinements, analogies, etc. Often they arrive at a separate question entirely: Is there a way to set up the conveyor so that it overcomes the thrust of the engines and the plane remains stationary and doesn't take off?

The answer is yes. Understanding why is Basic Realization #2.

The conveyor doesn't exert much backward force on the plane, but it does exert some. Everyone intuitively understands this. To return to the analogy in my original column, if you're standing on a treadmill wearing rollerblades while holding a rope attached to the wall in front of you, and the treadmill is switched on, your feet will initially be tugged backwards. Partly this is due to friction in the rollerblade wheel bearings, but partly--this is key--it's because the treadmill is accelerating the rollerblade wheels and in the process imparting some angular (rotary) but some linear (backward) momentum to them. You experience the latter as backward force. Eventually the treadmill reaches a constant speed and the rollerblade wheels cease to accelerate. At this point you can easily haul in the rope and pull yourself forward.

But what if the treadmill continues to accelerate? Different story. In principle it's possible to accelerate the treadmill at a rate that will exactly counteract any forward force you care to apply. (This is a departure from the original question, which said the conveyor belt compensated for the plane's speed,, not its force.) The only mathematics needed to demonstrate this is the well-known physics axiom F = ma--that is, force equals mass times acceleration. Given that the conveyor exerts some backward force F on the plane, we simply crank up the acceleration as much as necessary to equal any forward force F generated by its engines. Result: The plane stands still and doesn't take off. Welcome to BR #2.

You may say it's impossible to build a constantly accelerating treadmill, that eventually we run into the limitation imposed by the speed of light, etc. True but irrelevant--BR #2 has an intrinsic elegance that transcends such practical concerns. Why didn't I bring it up in the first place then? You've got to be kidding. It took an entire column to get BR #1 across, and a second one to convey (I hope) BR #2. One fricking thing at a time.

[This message has been edited by SuperAg05 (edited 12/14/2007 2:34p).]
Buck Laughlin
AG
Going back the glider tied to a tree, add a winch to the setup at either end of the rope. When you start the winch, the glider will move forward relative to the air even if the conveyor speed increases. Winch=propulsion=jet, forward movement=takeoff.
IIIHorn
Tree Hugger,

Will it take off or not?
AginTX
Once the airplane moves forward relative to the ground, the premise of the question (that the belt is moving the same speed as the belt) is violated. They are not moving at the same, yet opposite, speeds once the airplane moves relative to the ground.

That's why I stick with the airplane will not fly. The only thrust that is allowed (in how the question is formulated) is that thrust required to overcome friction with the belt and in the roller bearings in the wheels.

As soon as the airplane moves relative to the ground, it is not moving at the same speed as the belt and all bets are off.

I see what y'all are saying that if you go balls to the wall, it would take off. Of course.

However, once again, as soon as the airplane starts moving relative to the ground, the airplane is no longer moving at the same, yet opposite, speed as the belt - so the premise of the original scenario is violated.

[This message has been edited by AginTX (edited 12/14/2007 2:42p).]
NeuroticAg
AG
Super, that's essentially what I said on the first two pages.

Which is why this thread needs to die now.
IIIHorn
The conveyor is moot!
tlepoC
AG
AginTX...the conveyor can perfectly match the speed of the plane (not sure how you are measuring speed though) and the plane will still take off
IIIHorn
AginTx must think the plane is superglued to the conveyor belt with lol cats in the cockpit.
AginTX
NeuroticAg,

Not really. He is saying that if you violate the original premise, it will fly.

Well, of course it will.

But if thrust is limited to that required to overcome forces due to friction, the premise of the original scenario will be maintained and the airplane will not fly.
IIIHorn
The original premise does not match your assumptions.
Reloadags1998
AG
quote:
As soon as the airplane moves relative to the ground, it is not moving at the same speed as the belt and all bets are off.

i think this is incorrect. What is the speed of the plane as it is standing still? Then what should the conveyor belt speed be? If the plane reaches 1 mph, the belt should be moving 1 mph in the opposite direction. This does NOT mean the plane is not moving forward at all, it just means the the plane must compensate (more thrust) for the friction being produced because of the wheels meeting the belt.

[This message has been edited by Reloadags1998 (edited 12/14/2007 2:47p).]
IIIHorn
The conveyor is moot!
TexasRebel
AG
quote:
The only thrust that is allowed (in how the question is formulated) is that thrust required to overcome friction with the belt and in the roller bearings in the wheels.

I see what y'all are saying that if you go balls to the wall, it would take off. Of course.

hmm...if you were to set the engines to ONLY keep the plane stationary, and the stop the conveyor, the plane will still not move...

you are also violating the fact that the conveyor matches the plane, and not the other way around.

hth.

Every plane goes "balls to the wall" or "full throttle" if you want to be more technical, while taking off.

[This message has been edited by TexasRebel (edited 12/14/2007 2:52p).]
rtrd
quote:
But what if the treadmill continues to accelerate? Different story. In principle it's possible to accelerate the treadmill at a rate that will exactly counteract any forward force you care to apply. (This is a departure from the original question, which said the conveyor belt compensated for the plane's speed,, not its force.) The only mathematics needed to demonstrate this is the well-known physics axiom F = ma--that is, force equals mass times acceleration. Given that the conveyor exerts some backward force F on the plane, we simply crank up the acceleration as much as necessary to equal any forward force F generated by its engines. Result: The plane stands still and doesn't take off. Welcome to BR #2.

wow, never thought of this (thought conveyor would have to be going at a bazillion mph though)
IIIHorn
Yer KILLIN' ME!
fahraint
He must have become airsick after the plane took off.....
McInnis 03
AG
Well, it wasn't the first time I've been erroneous and it won't be the last....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-EopVDgSPAk

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.