JURASSIC PARK IV story details...

172,761 Views | 1119 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by TCTTS
scoop12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I had low expectations but came away enjoying it for it was. About a 7.5 out of 10 for me. A lot of the dinosaur scenes were done really well, although there was a real hokie feeling to it overall. It almost felt like a bit of a spoof of the original, but it worked. It was a fun movie, with some good laughs and good action. None of the awe you got with the original though.

Chris Pratt was really good and DBH played her part well. The kid was great in this, just like he was great in Iron Man 3. I think the biggest downside was just how obviously digital/CGIed the dinosaurs looked in nearly every scene. It's not even close to what we got with the original.

Overall a fun flick worth the price of admission.
Noblemen06
AG
Good, not great. Not close to the original but ahead of both of the other sequels by a long shot. Pratt is a bonafide star at this point and fits into this role well. I could honestly see him taking over the Indiana Jones franchise. He fits the adventure movie leading role well...can look serious enough but maintains a great sense of comedic timing/chops without being comic-y.

The quote below echoes my only real "gripe" about the plot...I could have done with more info about how they managed to get the park back in order to construct Jurassic World after the first movie's events.

quote:
I wish they would have had some kind of mention on how they managed to get Jurassic World opened up after the disaster of the original park 20 years earlier.
I'll buy it when it comes out on iTunes because it is rewatchable...but I won't rush back to the theaters for it (unlike the original, which I'll see every time they re-release it...)
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
Pratt is a bonafide star at this point and fits into this role well. I could honestly see him taking over the Indiana Jones franchise. He fits the adventure movie leading role well...can look serious enough but maintains a great sense of comedic timing/chops without being comic-y.
He's already taken over the role of Han Solo
AMW2010
AG
Monday can't come soon enough!! It's hard avoiding everything in the mean time...

I don't really play video games anymore, but was considering buying the Lego Jurassic park game that game out today
double aught
AG
I really enjoyed it. Didn't think it was as hokey as some have said. I was a little worried after seeing the preview scene at Pratt's trailer, but I thought he and Howard were good. And I was definitely rooting for a dino attack to befall D'onofrio.

The dinosaur scenes/battles were well done and engaging. The I Rex decloaking, if you will, in front of the containment team was very cool. It wasn't up there with the original obviously, but overall very good.

And for those who mentioned the fate of the original park, I thought it was hinted at briefly when BDH and Jake Johnson discussed his t-shirt. I took it as changing the name and not discussing it was a way they distanced themselves and diverted the public's attention from Jurassic Park.
BigRobSA
quote:
I really enjoyed it. Didn't think it was as hokey as some have said. I was a little worried after seeing the preview scene at Pratt's trailer, but I thought he and Howard were good. And I was definitely rooting for a dino attack to befall D'onofrio.

The dinosaur scenes/battles were well done and engaging. The I Rex decloaking, if you will, in front of the containment team was very cool. It wasn't up there with the original obviously, but overall very good.

And for those who mentioned the fate of the original park, I thought it was hinted at briefly when BDH and Jake Johnson discussed his t-shirt. I took it as changing the name and not discussing it was a way they distanced themselves and diverted the public's attention from Jurassic Park.
And really, that's all it would take in today's TwitterBookStaGram world..."Oh, look, a shiny..." </attention diverted>
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
We really enjoyed it.
double aught
AG
So the T Rex was the same one from the first film, right?

Funny, I'm pretty sure the first time I ever heard the abbreviation T Rex (as opposed to Tyrannosaurus Rex) was in the original Jurassic Park.
AMW2010
AG
For all y'all that love critics... Been out for over 24 hrs, made a good amount of money in that short time... And this is good right?

20ag07
Jurassic Park was the first pg13 movie I was allowed to see at 8 yo, so this had sentimental value for me.

They are saying this is tracking to way over perform and make $175m+ this weekend. My 10PM showing had a ton of 8-12 year old kids, and that's why it's going to make all that extra cash. I judged every parent in there with a young kid out that late, but they seemed to have a good time.

Fun movie. This is absolutely the movie 2 should have been.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I always thought The Lost World was a good movie, never really appreciated three except for the ring tone of the eaten cell phone and that one scene where Grant and the kid look back from the wrong side of the fence and see the spinosaurus standing there. But JW blows those out of the water. I won't call it a great movie any more than I would use that word for either of the other two sequels but this was exactly what I want out of a typical summer movie. Lots of action, characters I really enjoy, and in this case lots of people dying in the jaws of a ravenous critter. Great popcorn movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$180M, crazy. Did not expect it to be such a giant hit.

Going at 3:40 today in Imax, can't wait.
Philip J Fry
AG
Our theater was packed last night. And by that, I mean the hallways. Had multiple queue lines filled in all parts of the theater.
Murder Hornet
AG
Good movie, better than expected

SPOILER ALERT

I so wanted the T-Rex and Raptor to high five at the end after the I-Rex gets drug into the pool. JW2 should be a buddy cop movie with those two

END SPOILER

phatpat21
That would have been neat.

***Spoiler Alert***

Pretty cool when that thing out of the water came up and jacked IRex up. Heck yea
TCTTS
AG
If anyone cares, I should also note that Dan Harmon, creator of Community, was seated next to us not only at the bar, but was a couple rows in front of us in the theater, with a small group. I couldn't help but wonder at various points throughout what he was thinking and what jokes he's potentially going to make at some point about this movie.
Tobias Funke
AG
quote:
If anyone cares, I should also note that Dan Harmon, creator of Community, was seated next to us not only at the bar, but was a couple rows in front of us in the theater, with a small group. I couldn't help but wonder at various points throughout what he was thinking and what jokes he's potentially going to make at some point about this movie.

Like this?
http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2015/06/jurassic-world-chris-pratt-in-jurassic-park-theory/
double aught
AG
Did you tell him that Parks & Rec was the better show?
TCTTS
AG
Ha, holy crap. I saw that than theory all over Twitter a few days ago, but had no idea it was Harmon who came up with it.
AliasMan02
AG
That movie was great. Lacked the wonder of the original, of course, but so much fun. Some of the red flags in trailers, especially the I-Rex communicating with dinosaurs, and Owen being the Alpha of the Raptor pack, turned out to be misrepresented and better executed in the actual movie than we were led to believe. Chris Pratt is so awesome.

I really like BDH as well, though I think she has a history of either picking bad roles, or just gets unlucky with movies that should be great but aren't (Spider-Man 3, The Village, Lady in the Water, Terminator whichever one had Christian Bale); exception is The Help, where she was fantastic in a fantastic movie. This is going to work out much better for her.

Question/observation:
I don't think this ever got mentioned, but it's understood that Owen had worked with the Navy's dolphin program, right? It's almost like there's a missing initial scene or maybe a conversation about how he gets from "guy from the Navy" to "works with raptors." It doesn't actually matter, as just saying he was in the Navy is sufficient explanation for why he's kind of a badass and can shoot a gun and stuff. People can fill in the gaps for themselves that he was in the dolphin program or was a SEAL or whatever. Just had the moment in the theater where I realized that his expertise wouldn't make sense to most people, but I just assumed that was his background, as did about half of my group.
COOL LASER FALCON
There was something about that in the oral history posted on here. Pratt said his character worked with the Dolphins. Not sure if Pratt kind of made that up on his own or if it was the original idea from the writers.
AMW2010
AG
One more day and I get to see JW!!!

I feel asleep last night and Jurassic park was in TV, this morning I turn on the tv and the lost world is on! Woo hoo!

Wow, just wow...

Icecream_Ag
S
just got home from watching this.

leaps and bounds ahead of Lost World and JP3.

Agree on not enough back story with Owen and training, even just a line saying he trained dolphins or whatever would work.

Went expecting a horrid script due to earlier posts, but outside of a couple parts it wasnt that bad.

Loved that they had more development with the dinosaurs and not just straight to "yelling and screaming".

WTF was the point of the assistant? She did nothing but be snarky and shark food.

Loved the nod to the end fight in JP, and throwing a twist with the new attractions.

Overall, agree with the general public and say its a mid to upper 80's

PlanoAggie
AG
Wife and I loved it!!! Fun movie!
thaed137
AG
I found it a fun movie that ended up being a lot better than what the previews hinted at.

***Spoilers***

First the lows for me. CGI was off and on for the movie. I always liked the JP way where there was more build up to a dino reveal as opposed to being saturated with the cgi constantly. Small complaint though as most of it was really well done. Still a few scenes of kids out running I-rex, the I-Rex being able to see infra-red but not being able to see pratt and company a lot of the times, etc. Mostly small stuff that I would be willing to over look.

I loved how they changed the script form the preview and made the I-rex communicated only with the raptors. It took it from way out there to very believable. Added a nice twist to the movie. the references to JP were nice and not overly done. It had a few moments of being slapstick comedy almost that somtimes were really funny and other times felt a little out of place. The guy getting turned down on the kiss was just awesome imo.

Question thought, when the I-rex pretended to escape, would they not have a video they could rewind to make sure? Would no one have noticed he scratching at the wall? Do they not have sensors at the top that would be tripped if he climbed? Why was his DNA top secret other than to throw in twists?
tremble
AG
I'm not 100% clear on this but it seems that InGen was basically attempting to weaponize Dinos through Wong to sell to the highest bidder.

I thought I heard him tell the Sumlin doppelganger billionaire that he couldn't reveal what the IRex DNA had. It seemed pretty clear that very few people actually knew what the lab was doing later on. It didn't seem to make much sense at that time to me since that guy owned the whole park.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
. It didn't seem to make much sense at that time to me since that guy owned the whole park.
One of my only real gripes.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
Question thought, when the I-rex pretended to escape, would they not have a video they could rewind to make sure? Would no one have noticed
he scratching at the wall? Do they not have sensors at the top that
would be tripped if he climbed? Why was his DNA top secret other than
to throw in twists?

There many large plot holes throughout the movie (why go into the I-Rex cage before checking it's tracking beckon? why drive back to command headquaters just to call them anyways?), but this is a popcorn summer blockbuster. If you don't treat it like Citizen Kane, you won't be disappointed.

That being said, I thought they did a really good job of conveying the theme of "control vs relationship" without being too preachy. The villains of the movie (Hoskins, Wu, Nanny) were interested in forcing others to do their will and detached from relating with others. The heroes (Owen Grady, Masarani) were interested in building a relationship based on mutual respect. Claire Dearing was interesting because she served as the dynamic character who began as an agenda-driven control freak who transitioned into relating and respecting others.

This theme even played out within the dinosaurs themselves. The I-Rex's motivation was to "find out where it fit in the food chain". After the final battle, there was a moment where it looked like the T-Rex and Blue were going to fight, but then out of mutual respect for their teamwork, they decided to go their separate ways (yes, I realize how cheesy that sounds).

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dodgson / Wu team up for the sequel.
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
After the final battle, there was a moment where it looked like the T-Rex and Blue were going to fight, but then out of mutual respect for their teamwork, they decided to go their separate ways (yes, I realize how cheesy that sounds).

No, I dont think you do, because that sounds beyond cheesy...something you'd find in a Scfy channel movie. I hope this movie isn't that bad.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
quote:
Dodgson / Wu team up for the sequel.
I actually wish it were Biosyn that was pulling the strings behind the scenes on this. Makes much more sense than iNGen since they are owned by Masrati Corp.
Gigem314
AG
Saw it Saturday and was very impressed.

I went in expecting it to not match the awe and 'first time' experience of Jurassic Park. You can't relive the first one. So with that in mind, I really enjoyed Jurassic World. They added some new elements, it wasn't the same old 'run and scream' schtick of the first 3. I liked seeing John Hammond's vision come to fruition, and the way they incorporated the technology of today's world (phones, social media, instant sharing).

Chris Pratt's character makes the movie. To me his character is the best one out of all 4 movies, and that's what helps put this one as a close 2nd to the first one. He was the badass that Muldoon was supposed to be, with the respect and caution for dinosaurs of Grant, with the wit of Malcolm mixed in without being too philosophic. The previews made it seem like Owen would be more wit and humor (which Pratt is clearly known for), but in the movie he's a much more serious character than the portrayed in the trailers.

I think this role takes Pratt to a whole other level. After seeing him in this character, who was serious and confident yet witty when he needed to be, I believe even more that he would make the perfect Indiana Jones. I think this helps him shed more of the 'too goofy' (Parks & Rec) and 'too sarcastic' (Guardians) image that people were bringing up when his name first came up for playing Indy. He clearly held his own and his character was the anchor of the movie...it wouldn't have been nearly as good without him.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
quote:
After the final battle, there was a moment where it looked like the T-Rex and Blue were going to fight, but then out of mutual respect for their teamwork, they decided to go their separate ways (yes, I realize how cheesy that sounds).

No, I dont think you do, because that sounds beyond cheesy...something you'd find in a Scfy channel movie. I hope this movie isn't that bad.
You're criticizing the movie and haven't even seen it?

+1000 Internet Tough Guy Points
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

You're criticizing the movie and haven't even seen it?

+1000 Internet Tough Guy Points

Thanks, that brings me up to 100,000 internet tough guy points for the month. And your pathetic laugh/cry response awards you 1000 internet cool guy points. Listen, don't mistake my interpretation of your description of two dinosaurs forming a mutual respect based on teamwork (holy ****, that sounds even cheesier now that I type it), with my impression of how good the movie actually is.

Nope, haven't seen it, and from the reviews on here and from critics, it sounds like a good, basic, light popcorn flick. About what I expect, and I'll see it at some point. But your description sounded really cheesy. So, you see, I was criticizing you, not the movie.
Urban Ag
AG
Y'all take this sh** way too seriously

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.