***2022 RPI Tracker***

136,740 Views | 885 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by RED AG 98
dabo man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Current SEC RPI standings. I couldn't bring myself to do this yesterday.
https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2022/rpi-live

SEC West:
-----------------------
#10 Auburn (13-11/19-5), SOS 6
#18 LSU (14-10/18-5), SOS 21
#20 Arkansas (16-8/20-4), SOS 62
#23 Texas A&M (14-10/16-6), SOS 12
#55 Alabama (10-14/16-8), SOS 11
#60 Ole Miss (10-14/17-5), SOS 29
#102 Mississippi State (9-15/16-8), SOS 61

SEC East:
-----------------------
#1 Tennessee (20-4/22-2), SOS 39
#4 Vanderbilt (12-12/19-3), SOS 5
#9 Georgia (13-11/19-5), SOS 9
#12 Florida (11-13/18-5), SOS 2
#57 Missouri (7-17/18-3), SOS 35
#58 Kentucky (9-15/17-6), SOS 18
#67 South Carolina (10-14/14-8), SOS 14
dermdoc
AG
So we are behind three teams we won series from and two of them on the road. Makes zero sense.

And behind Florida who may not even make the SEC tourney.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
HoustonAg2106
AG
dermdoc said:

So we are behind three teams we won series from and two of them on the road. Makes zero sense.

We are actually behind 4 teams that we won series against (3 on the road)

LSU
Vandy
Georgia
Arkansas
TAM85
dermdoc said:

Yes, RPI should carry less weight and, or be re-worked.
dermdoc
AG
TAM85 said:

dermdoc said:

Yes, RPI should carry less weight and, or be re-worked.
This is an incredibly strange year for RPI. I can never remember us with this good of SEC record and this bad of RPI.

Especially with our wins over ranked teams.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dermdoc
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

dermdoc said:

We are actually behind 4 teams that we won series against (3 on the road)

LSU
Vandy
Georgia
Arkansas
Thanks. Missed one. Makes zero sense.
TXAggie2011
AG
And we're ahead of multiple teams that won series over us. That's just one big circle of an argument that doesn't get you very far.
dermdoc
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

And we're ahead of multiple teams that won series over us. That's just one big circle of an argument that doesn't get you very far.
I can think of Penn(which is not a SEC school playing a SEC schedule) and Bama on the road.

And we have series wins over four teams ranked above us (3 on the road) and Florida has a losing SEC record.

Makes zero sense.

And I can not remember when we had a 14-10 SEC record and an RPI this bad. Just seems strange this year.
dermdoc
AG
And I am not including a road win at tu and a home win against DBU.

And I am too lazy to look it up but I would wager we have more wins against teams with better rpis than us than any other team.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
I posted this somewhere else earlier but it appears that RPI doesn't compensate for teams that really improve during the season. We had the misfortune of not playing well against weak competition early and then playing much much better when the schedule got tougher.
It is what it is.
Texam90
AG
Non-conference RPI

Georgia 4
Vanderbilt 6
Florida 9
Tennessee 12
Missouri 22
Auburn 26
Louisiana State 30
Mississippi 50
Texas A&M 67
Alabama 68
Arkansas 82
Kentucky 83
South Carolina 117
Mississippi State 171

A&M and Arkansas have good SEC records but struggling in RPI.
Sterling82
As we all know, RPI has all kinds of mathematical equations and analytics. But there's no way in my mind a single loss amongst 45 games should cause a plummet like we just had. No way that single game should cause metrics to shift to such a massive degree. Add to it that this is baseball where losses to inferior opponents is a norm and I can only conclude that RPIs are bunk.
sellthefarm
AG
I conclude that everyone is just incredibly bunched. Tiny margins cause huge drops in ranking. If we can get a sweep, big if, we could see a big jump with others around us losing just one game. I still have hope.
Sterling82
sellthefarm said:

I conclude that everyone is just incredibly bunched. Tiny margins cause huge drops in ranking. If we can get a sweep, big if, we could see a big jump with others around us losing just one game. I still have hope.

Anyone know how far Alabama dropped after one loss to SC? How much after getting swept?
MaroonStain
AG
Yep. This RPI drop is suspect. "Reeeetainer..."

Eike Mlko
Just jumped a spot to 22 after Stanford played SF
Eike Mlko
Up to 21
Eike Mlko
Incarnate word was leading TCU which would help them help us, and Vanderbilt losing would help/hurt us at the same time but both teams tied it.
Serious Lee
DBU walks off ok state with 2 outs in B9. that cant hurt
Eike Mlko
Up to 20
AggieKeith15
AG
Looking ahead to this weekend, there's a chance for an RPI booster when Santa Clara plays a series at #27 Gonzaga. Currently they are ranked #111 in RPI, however before they got swept by Portland this past weekend they were sitting just inside the top 100 (which is likely a large factor for our dramatic fall after losing one to SCar).

If they can win a game or two this weekend, that should really boost our ranking. As it will give us another 2 wins against Q2 opponents (probably jumping us to mid teens).

That's assuming they jump back in the top 100 of course.
threeanout
AG
Yep, just doesn't make sense. We play and win last Tuesday and drop 3 spots. We sit idle this Tuesday and move up four spots. Go figure.
W
AG
speaking of TCU...

the Frogs (at RPI #34) are only 8-12 vs. the top 50...and just 12-17 vs. the top 100.

TCU looks like a very weak 2-seed. OU at RPI #31 has better metrics....and won the head-to-head series.

it could be the Sooners at BBP for regional play
gougler08
AG
The teams from 5-35 seem incredibly tightly bunched as the slightest thing causes a wild swing this year
twk
AG
AggieKeith15 said:

Looking ahead to this weekend, there's a chance for an RPI booster when Santa Clara plays a series at #27 Gonzaga. Currently they are ranked #111 in RPI, however before they got swept by Portland this past weekend they were sitting just inside the top 100 (which is likely a large factor for our dramatic fall after losing one to SCar).

If they can win a game or two this weekend, that should really boost our ranking. As it will give us another 2 wins against Q2 opponents (probably jumping us to mid teens).

Top 100 or not doesn't factor into RPI. It shows up on the Nitty Gritty chart that the committee looks at, but is not in the RPI formula. It's better for us that Santa Clara wins, but whether they are 99, 100, or 101 is not relevant to RPI.
twk
AG
threeanout said:

Yep, just doesn't make sense. We play and win last Tuesday and drop 3 spots. We sit idle this Tuesday and move up four spots. Go figure.
Because your opponent's winning percentage, and your opponent's opponent's winning percentage, factor in to RPI.

1. Division I winning percentage (25%)
2. Opponent's Division I winning percentage (50%)
3. Opponents' opponents' Division I winning percentage (25%)
Chrundle the Great
AG
I think everybody needs to mentally separate our rpi from our rpi "rank".

Rpi is a % and is calculated how twk outlined above. Notice 75% of it is opponent based.

Rpi rank is simply organizing every d1 team from highest rpi to lowest.

Since rpi is a # somewhere between 0 and 1, small changes can have big affects on the rank if there's a group bunched together. I think what we're seeing is 10-30 are all right around the same rpi.
AggieKeith15
AG
twk said:

AggieKeith15 said:

Top 100 or not doesn't factor into RPI. It shows up on the Nitty Gritty chart that the committee looks at, but is not in the RPI formula. It's better for us that Santa Clara wins, but whether they are 99, 100, or 101 is not relevant to RPI.

I stand corrected. I think I may be confusing it with Net in Basketball.
twk
AG
Yes, it's confusing to keep them all straight.
threeanout
AG
twk said:

threeanout said:

Because your opponent's winning percentage, and your opponent's opponent's winning percentage, factor in to RPI.

1. Division I winning percentage (25%)
2. Opponent's Division I winning percentage (50%)
3. Opponents' opponents' Division I winning percentage (25%)
I understand how it works, so saying it doesn't make sense was a poor choice of words. The wild swings this late in the season though don't seem to be the norm. Obviously a lot of teams bunched tightly together, so a sweep of State is going to be critical to keep us from falling rather sharply.
Eike Mlko
Wofford beats a team with an RPi of 166 and moves ahead of us. So weird
t - cam
AG
Texagtrojan said:

Road?

Eike Mlko
t - cam said:

Texagtrojan said:

Road?

Home. Doesn't matter we just leap frogged them to 19. Lots of games happening today
Eike Mlko
I'm interested in how Maryland is so high. SOS of 113, a worse record against Q4 teams, etc. RPi needs an overhaul
TXAggie2011
AG
Texagtrojan said:

I'm interested in how Maryland is so high. SOS of 113, a worse record against Q4 teams, etc. RPi needs an overhaul

They're 38-10. That's the 4th best win % in the country. That's a big part of "how."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.