***2022 RPI Tracker***

129,395 Views | 884 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by 85AustinAg
threeanout
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The other problem is we played a "weak" SEC schedule. Arkansas, LSU and A&M are hurting in their RPI rankings because UT wasn't on the schedule.
TAM85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It does not properly value head-to-head, and it doesn't value winning your conference or division.
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TAM85 said:

It does not properly value head-to-head, and it doesn't value winning your conference or division.


The committee regularly rewards teams for winning their conference and division. That's not factored in the RPI but it's factored by the committee
TAM85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I agree the committee should not get overly enamored with RPI. For teams in the same RPI neighborhood (perhaps within 0.01 or 0.02) head-to-head should trump RPI. Likewise, winning your conference, division or even having a better conference record than another team in the same conference should trump RPI.
RED AG 98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is a great point and is especially easy to notice when viewing at Boyd's World rather than Nolan's site. His actual rankings are a little different but the point remains that the differences in rating points are minute up and down the entire ranking. The differences are not linear however about 90% of the time the there is less than 0.001 difference from an immediate neighbor (a 4th digit might help better understand all those 0s). Anyway I was curious about a few other common deltas so of course I made a quick spreadsheet.

By far the biggest jump in the top 100 is from #2 OSU to #3 Vandy at 0.015. There are a handful of 0.005s, 0.003s, and 0.002 literally everything else is 0s and 0.001s.

Your #17 Fightin' Texas Aggies are 0.006 behind #10.

I definitely think experimenting with some kind of quandrant system would be a good tweak.


threeanout
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I believe there are only two P-5 schools that have baseball divisions, the SEC and ACC. Only once since we joined the SEC has a division winner not had 20 conference wins. Those teams are always ranked highly in RPI, therefore easy selections by the committee. The ACC has had a couple of division winners not host recently, and Notre Dame was the only ACC team hosting last year. I don't believe winning your division factors into the committee's decision.
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

TAM85 said:

It does not properly value head-to-head, and it doesn't value winning your conference or division.


The committee regularly rewards teams for winning their conference and division. That's not factored in the RPI but it's factored by the committee
So…the explainer trots out an explanation why they did whatever they wanted to do to explain what can't be proven? Sounds like plausible deniability to me…
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
greg.w.h said:

TXAggie2011 said:

TAM85 said:

It does not properly value head-to-head, and it doesn't value winning your conference or division.
The committee regularly rewards teams for winning their conference and division. That's not factored in the RPI but it's factored by the committee
So…the explainer trots out an explanation why they did whatever they wanted to do to explain what can't be proven? Sounds like plausible deniability to me…
Man, and I actually like you a lot, even though I agree with Bobinator that 80% you're a bot.

What can't be proven?
dabo man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RPI improves for the first time in a while. Up from #21 to #16 with our win over Ole Miss tonight.

https://www.warrennolan.com/baseball/2022/rpi-live
Texagtrojan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
It actually improved the other night when other people lost
dabo man
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It was #21 during the 9th inning of our game tonight.

I'm guessing that people around us had already won because it was #19 earlier in the week when I'd looked.
threeanout
How long do you want to ignore this user?
dabo man said:

It was #21 during the 9th inning of our game tonight.

I'm guessing that people around us had already won because it was #19 earlier in the week when I'd looked.
We got screwed tonight on teams that we needed to win....who didn't win. Tennessee just continues to screw us by helping every team they played. When they beat State tonight we got penalized. One of the main reasons for our weak RPI is not having played them.
GarryowenAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does RPI factor in conference tournaments, or does it end at the regular season?
threeanout
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Conference tourney's count. Good for us.
Luke The Drifter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
threeanout said:

Conference tourney's count. Good for us.

Sure, they count...but do they matter?

Sincerely,

The 2021-2022 A&M Men's Basketball Team

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
CypressAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Up to #2 in ELO
pdg88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RPI #15 Virginia currently trails RPI #12 Louisville 4-1 in the bottom of the 7th. I would expect us to pass Virginia and move up to #15 if that score holds.

We passed Oklahoma State tonight who got walked off by Baylor 13-11 after leading 11-3 heading to the bottom of the 7th.
threeanout
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Luke The Drifter said:

threeanout said:

Conference tourney's count. Good for us.

Sure, they count...but do they matter?

Sincerely,

The 2021-2022 A&M Men's Basketball Team


My point is when you are sitting at #16 in the RPI rankings, you will take every bump you can get in order to host. We need another win against Ole Miss to take it out of the committee's hands.
CypressAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
pdg88 said:

RPI #15 Virginia currently trails RPI #12 Louisville 4-1 in the bottom of the 7th. I would expect us to pass Virginia and move up to #15 if that score holds.

We passed Oklahoma State tonight who got walked off by Baylor 13-11 after leading 11-3 heading to the bottom of the 7th.
Up to 15 and Virginia dropped to 20.
RED AG 98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
threeanout said:

Luke The Drifter said:

threeanout said:

Conference tourney's count. Good for us.

Sure, they count...but do they matter?

Sincerely,

The 2021-2022 A&M Men's Basketball Team


My point is when you are sitting at #16 in the RPI rankings, you will take every bump you can get in order to host. We need another win against Ole Miss to take it out of the committee's hands.
I hope we get matched up with at least a couple teams that have already played UT in the tourney as well, even if one of the current bottom dwellers. The separation from RPI 10-18 is pretty danged small and I agree any and all points are goodness at this point.

The SEC schools ranked higher than us in RPI ether are UT or have played a series against UT -- Auburn, Vandy, UGA and UF. We played all but UF this year but more games (and hopefully wins) versus any of these 5 schools is pure goodness.
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ole Miss wouldn't have hosted in 2019 without the conference tournament.

They went into it with an RPI of 31, 16-14 and 5th place in the west...go 3-1, RPI goes up to 22, they're the #12 national seed
Keegan99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The ideal scenario up to next Thursday would be earning a 2 or 3 seed in the SECT, getting a win, and then facing UT.

The worst case at that point would be to bow out at 1-2, but just playing UT on a neutral field will be a nice boost.
Farmer1906
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Latest update on the RPI Needs Report.


Quote:

Texas A&M

Remaining: 0 home, 2 road, 0 neutral
Current RPI: 15
ROWP: 0.582

Top 45:

No more wins needed.

Top 32:

No more wins needed.

Top 16:

0 home wins, 1 road wins

Top 8:

No way to reach the threshold.
This is not factoring in Hoover.
Chrundle the Great
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Keegan99 said:

The ideal scenario up to next Thursday would be earning a 2 or 3 seed in the SECT, getting a win, and then facing UT.

The worst case at that point would be to bow out at 1-2, but just playing UT on a neutral field will be a nice boost.

Or better yet: double dipping Tennessee on a neutral field
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Farmer1906 said:

Latest update on the RPI Needs Report.


Quote:

Texas A&M

Remaining: 0 home, 2 road, 0 neutral
Current RPI: 15
ROWP: 0.582

Top 45:

No more wins needed.

Top 32:

No more wins needed.

Top 16:

0 home wins, 1 road wins

Top 8:

No way to reach the threshold.
This is not factoring in Hoover.
The basketball selection committee demonstrated why that is unreliable…
Texagtrojan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Drop from 15 to 22 and the game isn't even over yet
aginlakeway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
greg.w.h said:

Farmer1906 said:

Latest update on the RPI Needs Report.


Quote:

Texas A&M

Remaining: 0 home, 2 road, 0 neutral
Current RPI: 15
ROWP: 0.582

Top 45:

No more wins needed.

Top 32:

No more wins needed.

Top 16:

0 home wins, 1 road wins

Top 8:

No way to reach the threshold.
This is not factoring in Hoover.
The basketball selection committee demonstrated why that is unreliable…


Softball paid us back?
RED AG 98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Texagtrojan said:

Drop from 15 to 22 and the game isn't even over yet
50% of the scores is from other teams, not our record at all.
AvidAggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No way we are a National seed with a 20+ RPI. Much less a host.

And honestly I don't care. I feel like we are better as an underdog
CypressAg09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AvidAggie said:

No way we are a National seed with a 20+ RPI. Much less a host.

And honestly I don't care. I feel like we are better as an underdog
If we win today and win the west, we are 100% a host regardless of our RPI. 95% a host even if we lose.
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yep, no way Vandy, Florida, Dallas Baptist, Georgia, North Carolina, Georgia Tech host in front of us

And if we win today we are back in top 20 anyways + Hoover games. We really need to play Tennessee though
Mikeyshooter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Only way we play UT is to advance to the championship.
RikkiTikkaTagem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
CypressAg09 said:

AvidAggie said:

No way we are a National seed with a 20+ RPI. Much less a host.

And honestly I don't care. I feel like we are better as an underdog
If we win today and win the west, we are 100% a host regardless of our RPI. 95% a host even if we lose.


If I know anything about the Aggies and selection comittees, the committee is going to send us to Austin as the 2 and put UCLA with their 48 RPI but their 12-3 Q1 record and who just took the series from Oregon State as the 3 seed. We'll be paired with Tennessee in the supers.
gougler08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Mikeyshooter said:

Only way we play UT is to advance to the championship.


And?
jkag89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
gougler08 said:

Mikeyshooter said:

Only way we play UT is to advance to the championship.


And?
If we make it to the SEC Tournament Championship game, then it probably does not matter if we face the Vols in it or not.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.