***2022 RPI Tracker***

136,719 Views | 885 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by RED AG 98
Keegan99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
threeanout said:

Woodward is asleep at the wheel and forgot to cancel LSU's midweek game next week against #219 Northwestern State.

Might be frowned upon in Louisiana for LSU to cancel a game with another state school?

Especially for a guy that allegedly has aspirations of being governor, if rumors are to be believed?
threeanout
AG
Keegan99 said:

threeanout said:

Woodward is asleep at the wheel and forgot to cancel LSU's midweek game next week against #219 Northwestern State.

Might be frowned upon in Louisiana for LSU to cancel a game with another state school?

Especially for a guy that allegedly has aspirations of being governor, if rumors are to be believed?
Ya think? I would lean the other way in that you must do anything and everything to help the Tiger's chances of winning if you want the big office in the state capital in Baton Rouge.
AggieKeith15
AG
I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but Auburn's game three against Bama was cancelled which means if we win two next weekend we can do no worse than second. And so long as Arky only wins two, we win the the West!
W
AG
one fun thing about this upcoming postseason...

there are going to be a lot of "brand name" programs as 2-seeds to spice up the regional matchups:

Florida, LSU, maybe Vanderbilt, possibly Georgia, perhaps Arkansas, Florida State, North Carolina, Tech, TCU, t.u., Arizona, etc..,
gougler08
AG
Vandy is hosting unless they implode against LSU and in Hoover
Sq 17
gougler08 said:

Vandy is hosting unless they implode against LSU and in Hoover

Vandy LSU winner hosts
loser likely a 2 seed

I think top 5 SEC teams got to host with the 6&7 place teams on the wrong side of the host line.
Goose06
AG
This is the most out of whack I remember RPI being this late in the season in a while. When's the last time the 2nd and 3rd place sec teams were 16+ RPI's going into the final weekend? And yet the SEC has teams ranked 1, 3, 4, 7 and 16.
The Debt
Goose06 said:

This is the most out of whack I remember RPI being this late in the season in a while. When's the last time the 2nd and 3rd place sec teams were 16+ RPI's going into the final weekend? And yet the SEC has teams ranked 1, 3, 4, 7 and 16.

Tennessee is not carrying the league as the numbers might suggest.
t - cam
AG
Goose06 said:

Arkansas has a schedule problem and we had an early season problem.

MagnumLoad
I think RPI is a flawed metric.
I hate tu. It's in my blood.
W
AG
also the two most likely Big 12 regular season champions...Tech and TCU...have mid-30's RPI's
AggieKeith15
AG
Just announced, Ole Miss cancelled their Tuesday game with Arkansas State.

Apparently we are not the only program willing to challenge RPI this season.
AggieKeith15
AG
Keegan99
AG
The committee can't seriously look at teams (rightfully) gaming the RPI like this and then turn around and use it as the end-all-be-all.
AgLA06
AG
Sure they can. You're trying to apply reason to this.

Seems like they need to make it so wins against teams in the bottom half of RPI don't hurt your RPI ranking. Beating a team should never incur a penalty. Especially against teams that need the revenue.
dermdoc
AG
AgLA06 said:

Seems like they need to make it so wins against teams in the bottom half of RPI don't hurt your RPI ranking. Beating a team should never incur a penalty. Especially against teams that need the revenue.
To my knowledge, baseball does not pay teams to play like fb does.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jkag89
TCU has also cancelled its game against Tarleton State.
AgLA06
AG
dermdoc said:

AgLA06 said:

To my knowledge, baseball does not pay teams to play like fb does.
That would be interesting if true. I assume they got a cut of the gate or television rights or something to get on a bus during the week.
TXAggie2011
AG
AgLA06 said:

Then we can all ***** about mid-majors with high RPIs and a bunch of wins over bottom half RPIs
RikkiTikkaTagem
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

AgLA06 said:

Then we can all ***** about mid-majors with high RPIs and a bunch of wins over bottom half RPIs

Doesn't seem to be hurting Maryland with their 3-4 record at Q1 teams and 19-3 record against Q4 teams
AgLA06
AG
I'd love to know how Notre Dame is so dang good about gaming the system in every damn sport. Just looking at their RPI and wins, they would appear to be the best team of those shown.

If Q1 wins are supposed to be weighted more than Q3 or Q4, then tu and Okie Light doesn't seem to show it in their RPI.

I give up if this edit isn't correct. It's Monday.
CapCityAg89
AG
Quartile wins do not weigh differently at all.

Road wins is how those teams "game" the system.
ColleyvilleAg06
AG
The problem with RPI is that it significantly over rewards teams for road game victories. Maryland has 17 of them. We have 10. That's the reason they are #10.

Same for Gonzaga who is 18-7 on the road. #73 SOS but still number 24 with just an average overall record.
HoustonAg2106
AG
AgLA06 said:

I'd love to know how Notre Dame is so dang good about gaming the system in every damn sport. Just looking at their RPI and wins, they would appear to be the best team of those shown.

If Q1 wins are supposed to be weighted more than Q3 or Q4, then tu and Okie Light doesn't seem to show it in their RPI.

I give up if this edit isn't correct. It's Monday.
Without looking at ND's schedule, my guess is that early in the season ND played a lot of road or neutral site games because of the weather up North which helps their RPI before conference play starts. Also, they are now in the ACC which is a good baseball conference, not as strong as the SEC but still very good.
TXAggie2011
AG
Notre Dame only has 8 road wins, which is less than like 17 of the other top 20 RPI teams. (We have 10, btw.)

They do have 6 neutral site wins. (We have 1.)

1.3 * 8 + 6 * 1 = 16.4 equivalent wins away from home for Notre Dame

1.3 * 10 + 1 = 14 equivalent wins away from home for A&M

There's an advantage over us, but not killer.

Take Stanford, for example, they have a 19.6 equivalent wins away from Home. Or if you're wondering about Vanderbilt, they have 17.6 equivalent wins away from home.

Notre Dame's big strength is an 11-4 record against Q1 teams. They've played good teams. And they've won games.
TXAggie2011
AG
UConn was 11th in the RPI 6 weeks into the season. They've fallen 30 spots despite going like 25-5 because they've played a junk schedule.

All you have to do if you can't be hurt by winning against a bad team is front load a few weeks of your schedule and ride out the rest of the year.

Teams like A&M who get off to a rough start would find it even harder to climb back up than its already been.
gougler08
AG
Up to 17. Good call by Schloss on skipping our game tonight
Eike Mlko
So the sips beat a team with an RPi in the 100s and they move up 4 spots. They dropped to 21 temporarily during all the other games and then shot up after the game to 17
aginlakeway
AG
Texagtrojan said:

So the sips beat a team with an RPi in the 100s and they move up 4 spots. They dropped to 21 temporarily during all the other games and then shot up after the game to 17

So you think the RPI is set up to help Texas?
HoustonAg2106
AG
aginlakeway said:

Texagtrojan said:

Eike Mlko
aginlakeway said:

Texagtrojan said:

Uhhhhhh…….No; just weird
Lance Uppercut
AG
Aggies: 19 [+2]

3. @Vanderbilt (2-1) [+5]
4. Auburn (1-2) [+12]
7. @Georgia (2-1) [-2]
8. Dallas Baptist (1-0) [-4]
17. @Texas (1-0) [-8]
26. Arkansas (2-1) [+1]
31. Texas State (1-0) [+16]
34. @LSU (2-1) [-16]
50. Penn (1-2) [-14]
53. @Alabama (1-2) [-11]

56. Kentucky (2-1) [+21]
66. *Iowa (1-0) [-9]
71. South Carolina (2-1) [-4]
74. *Washington State (0-1) [-4]
88. Houston (0-1) [-5]

109. Mississippi State (3-0) [-33]
119. Santa Clara (2-1) [-12]
127. Lamar (1-0) [+42]
139. *Wichita State (0-1) [+40}

176. Houston Baptist (1-0) [-10]
195. A&M Corpus-Christi (1-0) [+7]
210. @Rice (1-0) -19]
255. UT-Arlington (1-0) [-14]
261. Tarleton State (1-0) [+13]
266. Fordham (3-0) [-1]

Q1: 13-8
Q2: 6-6
Q3: 6-2
Q4: 8-0

Upcoming Schedule:

38. @Ole Miss [+26]
RED AG 98
AG
Lance Uppercut said:

64. @Ole Miss [+26]
Looks like a typo here. Should be 38 I believe.

ETA: Also thank you btw appreciate the effort. Very convenient and helpful way to view lots of info.
MaroonStain
AG
MagnumLoad said:

Bad inputs especially this season.

2+2=3
HoustonAg2106
AG
MaroonStain said:

MagnumLoad said:

Bad inputs especially this season.

2+2=3
The problem is it doesn't take into account how good a team currently is. We lost games early in the season that we would have no business losing now.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.