***2022 RPI Tracker***

136,753 Views | 885 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by RED AG 98
aginlakeway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BTHOB said:

24601 said:

BTHOB said:

Unless the Ags win the tourney, there is virtually zero chance at a top 8 seed.

Spoken like someone who hasn't watched the season, opened up the RPI sheet, and based conclusions off of one single input. Thankfully, I don't believe the committee will do the same

Spoken like someone who has no clue what I've watched, what I've done, or how I formulate my opinions. Lol.

OK. So what makes you think that we have a "virtually zero" chance of a Top 8 seed? Because of lot of experts think that we do.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
AvidAggie
AG
I think it's closer to 50/50 that we get a National seed.

The early OOC results were/are very hard to overcome.
aginlakeway
AG
AvidAggie said:

100% agree. Which was why I asked about the "virtually zero" statement.
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
BTHOB
AG
aginlakeway said:

BTHOB said:

24601 said:

BTHOB said:

Unless the Ags win the tourney, there is virtually zero chance at a top 8 seed.

Spoken like someone who hasn't watched the season, opened up the RPI sheet, and based conclusions off of one single input. Thankfully, I don't believe the committee will do the same

Spoken like someone who has no clue what I've watched, what I've done, or how I formulate my opinions. Lol.

OK. So what makes you think that we have a "virtually zero" chance of a Top 8 seed? Because of lot of experts think that we do.

Opinions are like ***holes; everyone's got one…. There are multiple considerations as related to committee selections, but one consideration - as has been mentioned - is, in fact, RPI. While I agree it is (and has been) a flawed metric, it has historically been the top influencer. A team with a ~20 RPI has, historically, had no chance… maybe this year is different. There have been years past where that single metric should have been ignored in certain instances. But, it wasn't. Again, maybe this year is different. Maybe it isn't. Trends that hold strong for 15+ years are hard to break.
AvidAggie
AG
aginlakeway said:

AvidAggie said:

100% agree. Which was why I asked about the "virtually zero" statement.

Yeah the "virtually zero" comment is a little exaggerated
Aston94
AG
If we beat Florida and then beat Arky we should be a lock for a national seed. Don't win 2 in Hoover and we are probably a host but not top 8.

RPI matters, but if you go through those with higher RPI than us you have trouble getting 8 national seeds before you reach us. I hope (big hope) that the committee sees the flaws with RPI this year and stops using it as their sole justification for selections.
AggieKeith15
AG
Agreed. We need two wins at a minimum to be a top 8 host. Anything less and I don't like our chances; the committee will be too tempted to just fill spots based on RPI.

We are a lock as a regional host though, imo.
Fat Black Swan
AG
Saw this post on Reddit.

AvidAggie
AG
Que Te Gusta Mas said:

Saw this post on Reddit.

Appreciate the chart.

I really do think this is an odd year for RPI though and we will see a handful of Top 16 RPI teams not hosting and teams outside of RPI Top 16 hosting.
Chrundle the Great
AG
What is "effective tournament seeding"
Sq 17
Is Georgia still I. The top 16 ??
Aston94
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

Well they used to only seed the top 8, and then 9-16 were more regional ties to the top 8 (why we were connected to TCU for a couple Supers). And there is no seeding below the top 16, other than a 2, 3 or 4 seed in a bracket, so it is an "effective" seeding not an actual "you are the 24 seed " seeding.
Fat Black Swan
AG
Chrundle the Great said:

He said he ranked the 2 seeds based on their pairing with 1 seeds. If paired with a 16 seed, the 2 seed was given #17 ranking. Committee doesn't really rank the 2 seeds like that, but it's still useful for the top 16.
nukeaggie2000
AG
tu at #16 rpi now. Ags at #24. Georgia at #18
SchizoAg
AG
I think we have basically no chance of being a Top-8 seed, and if we go 0-2 in Hoover we are on the bubble of being a 2-seed. Hate to say it, but until the committee actually comes out and says the RPI is flawed this year, I won't expect them to discount it. They know it is flawed; the question is whether it supports their goals.

Aston94 said:

RPI matters, but if you go through those with higher RPI than us you have trouble getting 8 national seeds before you reach us. I hope (big hope) that the committee sees the flaws with RPI this year and stops using it as their sole justification for selections.
Don't forget that there may be teams below us (Maryland) that will get national seeds based on a major conference championship.
TAM85
Louisville just dropped out of the top 10 RPI.
TAM85
In spite of its RPI, I really don't see how Vandy can host being under .500 in conference play.

Maryland's problem is a 102 strength of schedule. It is one of 2 teams in the top forty RPI with a strength of schedule over 100.
Texam90
AG
TAM85 said:

In spite of its RPI, I really don't see how Vandy can host being under .500 in conference play.

Maryland's problem is a 102 strength of schedule. It is one of 2 teams in the top forty RPI with a strength of schedule over 100.

The other is Texas State
nukeaggie2000
AG
A&M up 2 spots to #22
Auburn at #11 now
AvidAggie
AG
Southern Miss at #9 RPI is concerning for our National seed chances.
AggieBB
AG
SchizoAg said:

I think we have basically no chance of being a Top-8 seed, and if we go 0-2 in Hoover we are on the bubble of being a 2-seed. Hate to say it, but until the committee actually comes out and says the RPI is flawed this year, I won't expect them to discount it. They know it is flawed; the question is whether it supports their goals.

Aston94 said:

Don't forget that there may be teams below us (Maryland) that will get national seeds based on a major conference championship.
Win two games in Hoover and we are a top 8 seed. There is exactly zero chance that we drop to a two seed.
W
AG
I'll say this...if there are committee members that have been waiting and wanting to stick it to the SEC...

this is their year if they go strictly by the RPI.

could limit the league to 1 national seed and perhaps just 3 hosts
Basketball and Chain
AG
TAM85 said:

I think Maryland is a lock for a national seed. The committee won't knock them for their SOS because they're going to have a solid RPI.

National Seed Locks:
Tennessee
Oregon State
Virginia Tech
Maryland
Miami
Stanford

Everyone else is playing for 2 spots. That's the way I see it right now.

Going to be interesting to see where some of these small school teams (Southern Miss, DBU, Ga Southern, East Carolina) end up after conference tourney week.

Crazy to think the SEC could finish #1 in conference RPI and only have 1 national seed.
TXAggie2011
AG
I think Maryland would be in more danger if there were more stronger resumes behind them. They don't always give teams with high RPIs from weaker conferences a national seed and the Big 10 wasn't all that good this year.

But, with the "weak bubble", I think it's more likely they get the seed.

But less than a lock than some might think, imo.

And I've been saying watch out for Southern Miss…they're sneaking up on a national seed
Keegan99
AG
In my opinion, the committee will seek to "diversify" the national seeds.

The NCAA doesn't want the road to the Omaha to be the ACC and SEC Invitational.

So, schools like Maryland and Southern Miss will get the benefit well before a school like Texas A&M.
TXAggie2011
AG
Last year, the national seeds were 4 SEC teams, 3 Big 12 teams, and 1 PAC-12 team.

In 2019, they were 4 SEC teams, 2 ACC, 1 PAC-12, and 1 Big 12.

2018, 4 SEC teams, 2 ACC, and 2 PAC-12.

I don't think they have problem having a conference or two dominate the national seeds.
TAM85
I am not confident that Miami has done enough to be a lock, especially if it loses to Wake Forest and goes 0-2 in the ACC tournament.
nereus
AG
TAM85 said:

I am not confident that Miami has done enough to be a lock, especially if it loses to Wake Forest and goes 0-2 in the ACC tournament.
The ACC regular season champion whose RPI is #9 isn't a lock? What 8 teams could be ahead of them? I just don't see 8 team that you could possibly pick ahead of them even if they lose to Wake Forest. What 8 teams do you think could reasonably be placed ahead of them?

Edit: On looking closer, I see that Virginia Tech won the ACC regular season (I was looking to quickly at win totals with teams playing different number of games. It also doesn't help that Warren Nolan has the standings listed with Miami on top in the Coastal division). Still, I can't come up with 8 better teams.
TAM85
Va. Tech is a good team and they are in. Will the ACC get a second team, likely. Will it be Louisville? Miami?
I still don't see Miami as lock. With a loss to Wake it's RPI will not remain #9.
astros4545
AG
Louisville down 3-0 to Ga Tech in the 3rd
W
AG
it's a big game for the sips tonight vs. TCU. Reached the 40-win plateau yesterday and their RPI is up to #14.

road record is good. Top 50 record is also good
RED AG 98
AG
Gonna suck for the 4 teams that finished ahead of them in conference but they should just go ahead and prepare themselves that tu is hosting and a couple of them are not
Basketball and Chain
AG
W said:

it's a big game for the sips tonight vs. TCU. Reached the 40-win plateau yesterday and their RPI is up to #14.

road record is good. Top 50 record is also good

Can they overcome a t-5th place conference finish?
W
AG
yes, because 5th place was only 2 games out of 1st.

but they need to win today to make it 3 of 4 vs. the 1st place Frogs
AggieKeith15
AG
Up to 17 now!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.