***2022 RPI Tracker***

136,750 Views | 885 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by RED AG 98
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Arkansas begins the last day of the regular season -- tied for 1st place in the West -- with an RPI of #32
CapCityAg89
AG
W said:

Arkansas begins the last day of the regular season -- tied for 1st place in the West -- with an RPI of #32

And if they win the west, they are a national seed - just like us. Weird year.
CapCityAg89
AG
And unless we fall to the four seed, we won't play UT until single elimination. Cant double dip them or even play them twice.
jkag89
CapCityAg89 said:

And unless we fall to the four seed, we won't play UT until single elimination. Cant double dip them or even play them twice.
And we can't fall to the four seed.
jkag89
RikkiTikkaTagem said:

CypressAg09 said:

AvidAggie said:

No way we are a National seed with a 20+ RPI. Much less a host.

And honestly I don't care. I feel like we are better as an underdog
If we win today and win the west, we are 100% a host regardless of our RPI. 95% a host even if we lose.

If I know anything about the Aggies and selection comittees, the committee is going to send us to Austin as the 2 and put UCLA with their 48 RPI but their 12-3 Q1 record and who just took the series from Oregon State as the 3 seed. We'll be paired with Tennessee in the supers.
Naw, sippie would bellow too much about such a strong team being a #2 seed at a regional they hosted.
SchizoAg
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

SchizoAg said:

twk said:

threeanout said:

With the assumption that we don't win the west, what is the general consensus on how high our RPI can be and still host, 1) Host a Super, 2) Host a Regional?
If we don't win the West, then I think we'd have to be 12 or better to be in consideration for a top 8 seed. If we get 18 wins, we're hosting a regional, and I think our RPI would be the teens going into the SEC tournament. Might get one with 17, but it would be dicey, as I think our RPI would be in the 20s (tournament could possibly bump it a little). You never want to count on tournament play to make a difference because it often doesn't, but, occasionally, the committee will use tournament results to justify their seeding.
I don't think so at all. I seriously doubt if we get 18 SEC wins that our RPI will be in the teens. More likely 25-30. Although as others have pointed out, it matters which of our 6 games we win. Therefore I don't think it's a lock that we will host if we get to 18 wins, and it's actually more likely that we will be a 2 seed.
18 wins is a top 20 RPI and a lock to host, book it.
I hope nobody actually "booked" this. If we lose today (18 wins) our RPI will probably be in the 25-30 range, just as I said. We will have work to do in the SEC tournament to get back into consideration to be a regional host.
twk
AG
SchizoAg said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

SchizoAg said:

twk said:

threeanout said:

With the assumption that we don't win the west, what is the general consensus on how high our RPI can be and still host, 1) Host a Super, 2) Host a Regional?
If we don't win the West, then I think we'd have to be 12 or better to be in consideration for a top 8 seed. If we get 18 wins, we're hosting a regional, and I think our RPI would be the teens going into the SEC tournament. Might get one with 17, but it would be dicey, as I think our RPI would be in the 20s (tournament could possibly bump it a little). You never want to count on tournament play to make a difference because it often doesn't, but, occasionally, the committee will use tournament results to justify their seeding.
I don't think so at all. I seriously doubt if we get 18 SEC wins that our RPI will be in the teens. More likely 25-30. Although as others have pointed out, it matters which of our 6 games we win. Therefore I don't think it's a lock that we will host if we get to 18 wins, and it's actually more likely that we will be a 2 seed.
I hope nobody actually "booked" this. If we lose today (18 wins) our RPI will probably be in the 25-30 range, just as I said. We will have work to do in the SEC tournament to get back into consideration to be a regional host.

We will host. Another win today will probably get us a national seed. It's a weird year for RPI.
W
AG
yes, otherwise the SEC could only have 2 hosts...Tennessee and Auburn.

and that seems unthinkable for the #1 RPI conference
SchizoAg
AG
twk said:

SchizoAg said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

SchizoAg said:

twk said:

threeanout said:

We will host. Another win today will probably get us a national seed. It's a weird year for RPI.
Quite possibly. The committee may repudiate RPI this year, for the first time. But like I've said many times, they aren't bound by precedent and can do whatever they want to rationalize their decisions. Anyone who is confident about predicting what they will decide is deluding himself.
powerbelly
AG
SchizoAg said:

twk said:

SchizoAg said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

SchizoAg said:

twk said:

threeanout said:

Quite possibly. The committee may repudiate RPI this year, for the first time. But like I've said many times, they aren't bound by precedent and can do whatever they want to rationalize their decisions. Anyone who is confident about predicting what they will decide is deluding himself.

Including you.
SchizoAg
AG
powerbelly said:

SchizoAg said:

twk said:

SchizoAg said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

SchizoAg said:

twk said:

threeanout said:

Including you.
Indeed. Which is why I said, based on the historical importance of RPI, that with 18 wins it's "more likely that we will be a 2 seed." While others are making categorical statements like "book it" and "we will host".
Serious Lee
W said:

this
SchizoAg
AG
Walt Luddiger said:

W said:

this
Vandy is 3rd in RPI. Yeah their conference record sucks, but... RPI.
W
AG
Stanford finishes the season 38-14 and 21-9 in the Pac-12.

the Cardinal won the regular season championship.

should be a top 8 seed
W
AG
Oregon State finishes 41-13 and in 2nd place in the Pac-12 with a 20-10 conference record.

should also be a top 8 seed
Luke The Drifter
AG
In no particular order, it seems we have 3 of the 8 top seeds secured.
  • Tennessee
  • Stanford
  • Oregon State

I'm sure Maryland and Virginia Tech will get top eights as well...in spite of their #101 and #55 strengths of schedule, respectively. So that's 5 of the 8. Who else? I'm guessing Miami and Louisville each get one and the 8th spot is up for grabs (Auburn, Wake, A&M, and Southern Miss are candidates.)

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Fat Black Swan
AG
Auburn and/or LSU is going to get a huge RPI boost by being on Tennessee's side of the bracket in the SEC tournament. Might even be a chance Auburn finishes #2 in RPI if they play them twice.
W
AG
Miami (39-16) and Virginia Tech (40-11) finish in a percentage-points tie for the ACC championship.

'canes are 20-10. Hokes are 19-9.

I think both are top 8 seeds
AgLA06
AG
Que Te Gusta Mas said:

Auburn and/or LSU is going to get a huge RPI boost by being on Tennessee's side of the bracket in the SEC tournament. Might even be a chance Auburn finishes #2 in RPI if they play them twice.

If we beat Tennessee once, it doesn't matter.
threeanout
AG
Maryland had their game cancelled today with Purdue, so they are sitting at #3 in RPI. They look to be a national seed.
W
AG
Auburn finishes 4th in the West standings --- doesn't seem like a top 8 seed.

I'd say Louisville and 1 more team will round out the top 8.

and the Ags are looking pretty good for it
Fat Black Swan
AG
Crazy that a team whose best series win is Rutgers will get a national.
CapCityAg89
AG
A&M is a national seed. Absolutely no question.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Que Te Gusta Mas said:

Crazy that a team whose best series win is Rutgers will get a national.

Sounds like a bonus for whoever is their 2 seed and whoever the non-seed matching host is.
CypressAg09
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

We definitely deserve it, SEC west champs and 8-2 in conference is a national seed resume every year.
Keegan99
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

How many national seeds in the last, say, 15 years have an RPI below 16?

How many of those were from a power conference?

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I think we're overvaluing a division title when the committee has shown over the years that they lean heavily on RPI.
AgLA06
AG
Keegan99 said:

CapCityAg89 said:

I'm not trying to pick a fight, but I think we're overvaluing a division title when the committee has shown over the years that they lean heavily on RPI.

Well you choose to dwell on the potential negative the night we won the west. The rest of us will focus in the potential positive.
CapCityAg89
AG
The SEC will get more than 1 national seed. You're saying the others will be Vandy and Auburn? Top 8 RPI, right?
Keegan99
AG
I'm beyond pumped we won the West.

But I'm looking at the history of how the committee has worked in the past and not seeing a national seed...

I absolutely think we've earned one. But I also think the committee is very RPI focused.
RED AG 98
AG
Keegan99
AG
CapCityAg89 said:

The SEC will get more than 1 national seed. You're saying the others will be Vandy and Auburn? Top 8 RPI, right?

I don't know who the national seeds will be. But the history of power teams with RPIs outside the top 16 getting a national seed is very, very thin.
CapCityAg89
AG
I hear you and would normally agree but as I've said, either because UT has been so dominant or because the non power teams have gotten so good at managing the RPI but there are so many anomalies this year (Vandy and Auburn included) that I believe we will see several unprecedented seedings relative to RPI. I think the Big12 will also have a national seed and their leaders (Texas, OSU, TCU) are same or worse RPI than us! Just odd year.
MaroonStain
AG
I am thinking CS Regional and super paired with what other T8 seed is SEX (not Tennuhsee).
Luke The Drifter
AG
Keegan99 said:

CapCityAg89 said:

If there's ever a year to devalue the RPI in the committee's eyes, it's this one. Examples:

3. Maryland - strength of schedule is 101, only 3-4 vs. Q1 teams, best series win is either sweep at Baylor or 2-1 on the road vs. Rutgers

5. Vanderbilt - certainly a good team, but sub-.500 conference record and just got swept at home to end the regular season

14. Dallas Baptist - played the RPI game masterfully by scheduling Big 12 teams nearly every Tuesday and playing a lot of those games on the road...finished 3rd in the Missouri Valley Conference

20. Texas - middle of the pack Big 12 team, after playing Kansas today, will have played a whopping 16 games vs. Q4 opponents

And for A&M...we went 2-1 ON THE ROAD vs. a top 40 RPI team this weekend and dropped 3 spots. Even and NCAA selection committee should be smart enough to realize the RPI is a flawed metric.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Keegan99
AG
I agree that RPI is particularly bad this year.

Heck, look at the entire SEC East. They're all way overvalued, likely because of UT.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.