***2022 RPI Tracker***

136,722 Views | 885 Replies | Last: 12 mo ago by RED AG 98
Sterling82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Luke The Drifter said:

Mercer is now up to #10 in the RPI. They're a decent team and made a 12-spot jump this week. How'd they make such an impressive jump? Well, they won 4 road games…1 at #153 Jacksonville State and 3 at #126 East Tennessee State.

Road games matter…at least in the eyes of the RPI.

They've played 24 Q4 games (losing 3) compared to our 6-1 Q4 record. Meanwhile they've played a whopping 7 Q1 opponents with a 3-4 record while we're13-8 against Q1. So, vaulting 11 spots because they picked up 4 more Q2 and Q3 wins on the road makes complete sense.
greg.w.h
AG
Referring to quadrants while evaluating RPI isn't as direct as NET.
TXAggie2011
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

A loss to a team outside the top 100 counts no more and no less than a loss to a team inside the top 100.

So if beating the number 1 team is the same as beating the number 150 team then why does the RPI even differentiate between 1-25, 26-50, 51-100 and 101-200?

I'm just saying that for your win-loss portion of the RPI formula (that's 25% the RPI), a win is a win and a loss is a loss. There's no weight put on where the other team is ranked when calculating your wins and losses for RPI purposes.

Playing teams ranked higher in the RPI presumably will help your SoS (50%) and opponents SoS (25%) components of the RPI.
TXAggie2011
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

Mercer is now up to #10 in the RPI. They're a decent team and made a 12-spot jump this week. How'd they make such an impressive jump? Well, they won 4 road games…1 at #153 Jacksonville State and 3 at #126 East Tennessee State.

Road games matter…at least in the eyes of the RPI.

Several of Mercer's opponents also had really good weekends and that probably helped them considerably, too. Georgia Tech took 2 of 3 vs Miami, FSU took 2 of 2 from TCU, etc.

At any rate, Mercer seems unlikely to me to get a regional based on how similar resumes have been treated in the past
Sq 17
I think the BDF only gets one host so I think it opens up a spot for a couple of schools like Mercer
Luke The Drifter
AG
You're assuming the committee will be consistent from one year to the next.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Or within the same field.
MaroonStain
AG
MaroonStain said:

I see us in an airplane regional as a 3 seed.

I now do not see us in an airplane regional. Leaning towards College Station regional as others are hoping if we continue.
twk
AG
The NCAA's official RPI has us at 10. I don't know what accounts for the discrepancy.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/baseball/d1/rpi
RED AG 98
AG
we are back to 10 this morning on Warren Nolan as well
ThunderFighter06
AG
dabo man
AG
Current SEC RPI standings. For the teams' records, I used the format:
(conference / non-conference)

SEC West:
-----------------------
#3 Auburn (12-9/19-5), SOS 7
#10 Texas A&M (12-9/15-6), SOS 5
#16 LSU (12-9/17-5), SOS 15
#26 Arkansas (14-7/20-3), SOS 86
#53 Alabama (9-12/16-8), SOS 16
#60 Ole Miss (7-14/17-5), SOS 22
#87 Mississippi State (9-12/16-8), SOS 72

SEC East:
-----------------------
#1 Tennessee (19-2/21-2), SOS 36
#4 Georgia (12-9/18-5), SOS 9
#9 Vanderbilt (10-11/19-2), SOS 12
#19 Florida (8-13/17-5), SOS 1
#46 Missouri (7-14/17-3), SOS 26
#64 South Carolina (9-12/13-8), SOS 8
#72 Kentucky (7-14/17-6), SOS 35
RED AG 98
AG
Our current SOS looks great, but our projected finish is just inside the top 30. Quite different from our preseason outlook where we thought our schedule was heavily backloaded.

SC, State and OM and all quite capable teams despite their records. I think we have to win all 3 of these series to keep our hosting chances alive.
The Debt
Looking at the current RPI, there is only one other regional team that is ahead of us, DBU, and they look like they are in a freefall (losing 7 of their last 11).

With 11 games to go, if we stay north of 7 wins, a regional is a lock and maybe a super, imho.
HoustonAg2106
AG
This is from D1's weekly chat today....

Justin: Is it too late for Texas A&M to earn a Top 8 seed or could they play their way into the conversation?

Kendall Rogers: Justin Not at all. Let's say A&M wins its final three SEC series (which is not a bad bet to make), that would put it at 18-12 going into the SEC tournament. Play decent in Hoover and you could absolutely see A&M as a top eight given its elite record vs. Top 25/50 teams. Crazy to think when you consider where Schloss's bunch was just a mere month ago. Insane.
TXAggie2011
AG
Sq 17 said:

I think the BDF only gets one host so I think it opens up a spot for a couple of schools like Mercer
Their RPI settled at 15 and I bet it falls some so it's not going to be much of an issue anymore. But I think you'd see someone like a Louisville, Virginia, Oregon, Georgia Tech step in and take that spot "from Mercer." A lot of baseball left but I'm sure at least one or two of those teams will chug along here in the last few weeks and make their case better.

I'm thinking about teams like Stetson 2018. #5 RPI on selection day and they're dropped a rung to seed #11. 2015 Dallas Baptist--#2 RPI on selection day and didn't get a national seed.

Or Coastal Carolina 2016. They went on the dream run, but I think most folks don't know they went into the tournament with the #12 RPI. But just didn't get a regional.

Most direct comparison: Radord 2015: #15 RPI out of the Big South, no regional hosting for them.

Just seems unlikely to me at this juncture. And no guarantee they're going to win their conference with Wofford hanging around.

Maybe if Mercer wins both the regular season and conference tournament, they buck the trend.
TXAggie2011
AG
On that theme, I think Dallas Baptist and Georgia Southern are unlikely top 8 seeds.

I think you'd see Oklahoma State take one of those spots from outside the top 8 if they hold on win the Big 12.

The weird thing is seeing Arkansas lead the way in the SEC west with an otherwise mediocre resume and RPI. If they were closer to a top 8 RPI, they'd be a lock to take another "outside the top 8" national seeds.

Still too much to sort out between A&M, Auburn, and Georgia.

I will say its really, really in our interest to finish ahead of Auburn in the SEC West. It may end up second place in the SEC West gets a top 8 seed.
SchizoAg
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Kendall Rogers: Justin Not at all. Let's say A&M wins its final three SEC series (which is not a bad bet to make), that would put it at 18-12 going into the SEC tournament. Play decent in Hoover and you could absolutely see A&M as a top eight given its elite record vs. Top 25/50 teams. Crazy to think when you consider where Schloss's bunch was just a mere month ago. Insane.
After watching the first 7 games, I didn't think we would make the NCAA tournament. I am really proud of what the team and coaches have done to this point. Hosting a regional is so far above expectations, I almost don't care if we're a top 8 seed, because we've done so well on the road.

If we host a regional, Schlossnagle should be considered for SEC coach of the year. (I know he probably has no chance because of Vitello. But that guy has pitchers that throw 106 mph, etc.)
Luke The Drifter
AG
Whoever wins the Big 12 regular season title (oSu, TCU, or Tech) will be a Top 8 seed. You can mark that down. Not necessarily saying they'll deserve it, but they'll get it.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Emilio Fantastico
AG
If tech were to win out and win the B12, would that even get them to Top 30 RPI?
Unless they are one of those RPI outliers where they rank high in other measures, the committee would have some serious explaining to do to give them a national seed.
TXAggie2011
AG
The Big 12 didn't get a national (top 8) seed in 2018 and 2013. In 2014, TCU got a national seed but the conference champion (Oklahoma State) did not.
W
AG
Tech only has 7 games left, but 3 of them are at RPI #12 Oklahoma State.

if the #51 Red Raiders were to sweep...perhaps their RPI would jump into the 20's

however it gets harder and harder to make large movements as the season goes along
Chrundle the Great
AG
They are a cool 9-9 outside of Lubbock.

Would be a major shake up in the b12, but I'll be shocked if they win much less sweep.

Ok st has that series and then @baylor. I could easily see them winning 5-6 and walking into a national seed, but TCU is only 1 game back so who knows.
Emilio Fantastico
AG
I looked at the RPI needs website and they have to win 6 of their last 7 just to make Top 32. They can't make Top 16.
W
AG
yes, it's very unlikely. Too much of Tech's season has passed.

the Red Raiders are lining up for a Pac-12 regional
Divining Rod
TAM85 said:

RPI is a point of reference but not as useful in determining how good a team is.

Yes, the BIGGEST FLAW, the SINGLE REASON THE RPI IS SO MADDENING is this:

It presumes every team is as good as every other team.
AvidAggie
AG
Have an RPI killer today in UTA.

If we win we drop from around 10 to 14.

If we lose we drop from around 10 to 21.
SchizoAg
AG
AvidAggie said:

How do you know this? Curious.
CypressAg09
AG
AvidAggie said:

What's the weather looking like, rain?
HoustonAg2106
AG
CypressAg09 said:

AvidAggie said:

What's the weather looking like, rain?
RED AG 98
AG
SchizoAg said:

AvidAggie said:

Can be deduced from the Direct Impact Games tab on Warren Nolan

ETA: TA filter blocking RPI screenshots now LOL
AvidAggie
AG
RED AG 98 said:

SchizoAg said:

AvidAggie said:

Can be deduced from the Direct Impact Games tab on Warren Nolan

ETA: TA filter blocking RPI screenshots now LOL

This. The "Impact Games" under Warren Nolan is a useful tool.
Luke The Drifter
AG
Still gotta play games like this vs. UTA. You hope to get a comfortable win, get lots of folks some playing time, and keep the bats sharp heading into the weekend. Yea, there's the downside of losing to a bad team, but the upside far outweighs the bad.

And we're not the only team in the top 20 of the RPI playing a bad team tonight.

#1 Tennessee vs. #297 Alabama A&M
#5 Virginia Tech at #209 Marshall (Wednesday)
#11 Florida State at #136 Stetson
#16 LSU vs. #151 Nicholls State
#19 Florida vs. #153 South Florida

There are a bunch of top 20 RPI teams with no mid-week game this week.

AG
AvidAggie said:

Can someone forget the sprinklers on?
dcaggie04
AG
nm

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.