Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,487 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by betadawg1
Cyprian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think hating on Johnny Blue is what brings Single Malt Scotch drinkers together (from all walks of life).

Yea, it is a good poor, but it is totally over hyped and $$$.
Cromagnum
AG
jwright4288 said:

My staples:

Springbank 10 - such a unique and delicious scotch. Really want to try the 15 and 18 year. I think I tried the 18yr one time and it was fantastic.

Lagavulin 16yr - love pear, this is the classic and what I use as my comparison for all other peated scotches. Talisker 10 or uigeadail being two other go to peated scotches.

Tons of others I like but those are the 2 I always like having on hand.

Springbank 15 is the sweet spot on price vs quality in my opinion. Im a big fan of their Hazelburn. Still looking to try Longrow.
Cromagnum
AG
Cyprian said:

Any Japanese whisky fans here? They learned the trade from Scots, just isn't technically from Scotland. I got the Nikka Coffey Malt Whisky fairly recently, it is very tasty. I have had Japanese whisky before, but that was my first bottle purchase. Based on that success I bought a Hibiki Suntory today. Wish me luck?

Need to try more than I have so far. Yamazaki 12 is great but good luck finding it. I remember when it was everywhere and could be had for 30 bucks. The 18 tastes totally different, but I like it less especially for 3x the cost.
Cromagnum
AG
betadawg1 said:

It Irish, but one one my favorites. Haven't seen it for months and found a small store with 5.

Drank 2 bottles of this past year. It was fantastic. Is blue gonna be even older?
mazag08
AG
Cromagnum said:

betadawg1 said:

It Irish, but one one my favorites. Haven't seen it for months and found a small store with 5.

Drank 2 bottles of this past year. It was fantastic. Is blue gonna be even older?
Younger, but at cask strenght.
'03ag
betadawg1 said:

how much per bottle? I think the green is OK, but I love the yellow. Didn't know a red existed
mazag08
AG
'03ag said:

betadawg1 said:

how much per bottle? I think the green is OK, but I love the yellow. Didn't know a red existed

It's usually around $95-$110 unless its recently gone up.
betadawg1
AG
'03ag said:

betadawg1 said:

I think $120 was retail. Got them for $110 because they were on the shelf for a while. I think the red is the best of the bunch.
betadawg1
AG
I few more Irish goodies sitting on the shelf at a hole in the wall. These are getting harder to find.
mazag08
AG
I finished the Spot collection!

Now just waiting on Blue Spot to be released. I think I heard September but not sure

betadawg1
AG
mazag08 said:

I finished the Spot collection!

Now just waiting on Blue Spot to be released. I think I heard September but not sure

You should look for these also. The Bordeaux is my favorite of the green.

mazag08
AG
I definitely will.
txam92
AG
I do love Green Spot Leoville. It's not out very often so grab it if you see it. I just need to figure out how to find a Red Spot in Dallas.
Idk3
AG
I haven't seen those Jameson's, but I have seen a regular 18year Bow Street and then a cask strength version. Have you potentially tried either of those?
betadawg1
AG
WhiteWalker3 said:

I haven't seen those Jameson's, but I have seen a regular 18year Bow Street and then a cask strength version. Have you potentially tried either of those?

They were discontinued awhile ago. I'm not a fan of the Bow Street. I haven't tried the cask strength.
SpiderDude
AG
I bought an Oban 18 for my birthday. I opened it immediately to try it. Honestly I was a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong... it's good and super smooth but for the money I expected a bit more in the flavor department. I'm probably spoiled because I'm so used to drinking cask strength stuff.
John Francis Donaghy
SpiderDude said:

I bought an Oban 18 for my birthday. I opened it immediately to try it. Honestly I was a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong... it's good and super smooth but for the money I expected a bit more in the flavor department. I'm probably spoiled because I'm so used to drinking cask strength stuff.

I've honestly been disappointed in most whiskies of any kind over 16 years old (drawing the line at 16 instead of 15 due to Lagavulen). The only exceptions I can think of are special bottlings. Single cask stuff, one-time special edition releases, things like that. Those can be phenomenal if you know what you're getting.

But every normal production bottle I've ever bought in the 18+ range has be an overall disappointment to me. I just think the sweet spot for whisky is roughly 8-16 years. Any aging past that seems to be mostly for marketing purposes rather than notable quality improvement of the whiskey itself.

Or maybe I'm just not buying the right stuff....
Idk3
AG
New additions. They feel more at home here than the Bourbon thread
SpiderDude
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

SpiderDude said:

I've honestly been disappointed in most whiskies of any kind over 16 years old (drawing the line at 16 instead of 15 due to Lagavulen). The only exceptions I can think of are special bottlings. Single cask stuff, one-time special edition releases, things like that. Those can be phenomenal if you know what you're getting.

But every normal production bottle I've ever bought in the 18+ range has be an overall disappointment to me. I just think the sweet spot for whisky is roughly 8-16 years. Any aging past that seems to be mostly for marketing purposes rather than notable quality improvement of the whiskey itself.

Or maybe I'm just not buying the right stuff....

No. I think your assessment is spot on. I think anything past 15 years just starts to accumulate more barrel wood in the taste profile.
Cyprian
AG
Nikka pick ups today at Total Wine

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
aeon-ag
WildTurkey said:

Hard to beat this

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!
SpiderDude
AG
WhiteWalker3 said:

Sipped on this last night...
Idk3
AG
I had Redbreast last night as well. It was my 2nd pour since buying it and I enjoyed it more. My 1st pour was very disappointing as it almost had no flavor. So, I took time in between and definitely showed more character this 2nd time around. That said, I am buying the Cask strength next time.

mazag08
AG
WhiteWalker3 said:

Way more at home here. Redbreast 12 is awesome. Congrats!
mazag08
AG
WhiteWalker3 said:

I had Redbreast last night as well. It was my 2nd pour since buying it and I enjoyed it more. My 1st pour was very disappointing as it almost had no flavor. So, I took time in between and definitely showed more character this 2nd time around. That said, I am buying the Cask strength next time.

I've found that drinking most scotch 2 hours after a meal and after multiple glasses of water helps. Sometimes you aren't getting the full experience of there are other things lingering on the palette.
Cromagnum
AG
How do those Nikkas stack up to other Japanese whiskey? I've only ever tried the Yamazaki 12 and 18, and for the record, love the 12 but felt the 18 was not worth the price tag.
AgInSingapore
AG
If you are familiar with Total Wine's Concierge program, they are currently offering Nikka Taketsuru 21 and 17 Pure Malt (both are blends) at $575 and $450 receptively.
Idk3
AG
Added this to cabinet last night.
SpiderDude
AG
Cyprian said:

I have the one on the right. I haven't opened it yet as I'm considering gifting it to a family member who loves Japanese stuff. Let me know your thoughts!
Cyprian
AG
It's a smooth blend, easy to drink at a high proof. It starts off with lots of fruits and spices, then has this slightly peaty finish towards the end. Lots of complexity in the taste and finish.

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
John Francis Donaghy
BenRiach Cask Strength Batch 2.

Limited bottling series from BenRiach out now. There are two versions, a peated and an unpeated, and both are fantastic.

The unpeated is very rich and flavorful. Strong sherry flavor.

The peated is fairly heavy on the peat, but has the same richness as the unpeated in addition to the peat.

Opened bith tonight and had them back to back, two of the best new scotches I've had in years.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Cyprian said:

The Yoichi is excellent. One of my favorites.
Scotts Tot
AG
Anyone have perspective on rum-finished scotches? The pairing intrigues me, as I enjoy aged rum, but I've never tried one. The Balvenie Caribbean seems to be the most commercial option in this category, but I know there are several more.
Idk3
AG
Balvenie Caribbean is really tasty, big fan. Not scotch, but I enjoyed Tullamore Dew's XO irish whiskey finished in Rum casks. Whiskey Vault just did a youtube episode on Glenlivet's Caribbean Reserve, so might be worth checking out to hear their tasting notes.

mazag08
AG
Tullamore's Caribbean is very very light, but nice and tasty. Like literally, you could take a shot and it wouldn't burn at all.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.