Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

270,209 Views | 1656 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by AgInSingapore
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Redbreast won't have an Islay flavor. It is delicious though
Cromagnum
AG
ziggity06 said:

looking for some suggestions on what to buy for my 40th later this year would like to keep cost under 250 but not looking to push that price point if I don't have to. I'm looking for something fun and in my taste profile which is mostly Islay. I'll be having a Compass Box Flaming Heart pour for Burn's Night tomorrow

List of bottles I've been considering
Springbank 18
Kilkerran 16 Specs
Ledaig 18
Kilchoman Loch Gorm
Glendronach 18
Highland park 18
Caol Ila 18
Laphroaig 16
Redbreast 12 cask strength
or something from an independent bottler

Of those, get the Springbank 18 definitely. It's not a peatbomb, but it's damned good.
AgInSingapore
AG
Was down in Galveston this weekend and went ahead and got a case of the Sandend at Spec's. I think I am all set on not needing to buy any more of those, can't foresee my better half getting through them any time soon even with a couple already earmarked to give to some friends.
AgInSingapore
AG
Some new Islay stuff coming in 2024

Lagavulin Offerman 11 year old - rum cask finish
Laphroaig 2024 Cairdeas - 10 year age stated ex-bourbon and quarter casks, finished in PX
Ardbeg Spectacular (2024 Ardbeg Day) - finished in port casks, no age statement as per usual
AgBQ-00
AG
Those all sound good.
Rocketman84
AG
Yep, I'll do all of those.
AgInSingapore
AG
Glenmorangie 12 year finished in calvados coming soon. I'm hopeful this one is a hitter, latest in their barrel select series.
AgInSingapore
AG
Have added one each of Ardbeg Traigh Bhan batch 4 and 5, now have the the vertical until the 2024 release hits shelves.

Brings Ardbeg distillery bottling variations to 31 in the collection, with 47 bottles in total (have multiples of a few). Would like to eventually have each variation x3 but that's a tall order.
AgInSingapore
AG
Coworker grabbed me a Redwood Empire Foggy Burl single malt while I was on vacation this past week, excited to see what it holds. Will be a bit before I fresh crack, vacation was enough for a month or two...
Chipotlemonger
AG
AgInSingapore said:

Coworker grabbed me a Redwood Empire Foggy Burl single malt while I was on vacation this past week, excited to see what it holds. Will be a bit before I fresh crack, vacation was enough for a month or two...

Nice, once you do please share your thoughts!
AgInSingapore
AG
Just in general, since you're in CA do you see all their releases regularly or is it kinda a quest to find some of the one off drops? This is their first single malt so was curious of your experience.

ETA that's not me fishing for you to look for things in hope of you being a source, just a general wondering.
Chipotlemonger
AG
No problem at all in asking! That's a good question. I never look close enough every time I'm at the store or in that section to probably get a good enough read. But I do notice multiple Redwood bottles most of the time. I think my local shop I like to frequent advertised this release and some other Redwood stuff as well recently.

Anyways, I still haven't tried any Redwood products. Want to keep an eye out for a store tasting or get at a bar first.

Edit to add: just checked their online inventory and they have a handful of different Redwood bottles in stock. They did advertise the Foggy Burl and one other Redwood release on January 4th. I made a mental note about the product but did not purchase it at the time. I bet I could find it somewhere around though. I just don't get to browse/hunt at leisure much these days.
betadawg1
AG
I got my hands on a collection of Scotch and was wondering if there was anything special in the bunch.

Mind if I post a few pictures and get some feedback?
Chipotlemonger
AG
Not at all, please post. Always good to have more scotch discussion on here.
betadawg1
AG
Okay, here you go.

AgInSingapore
AG
Balvenie 17 and Old Pulteney 17, while not super special, they are fantastic pours. One poster in this thread was looking for that Balvenie since it has been discontinued for a few years now.
AgInSingapore
AG
Also, can you get more info on that Mortlach in the last picture? I zoomed but can't see any details.
AgBQ-00
AG
All of the ones I know in that collection are fantastic scotches. Wherever this collection came from the person had really good taste in his Scotch. And yes the 17 yo Balvenie is really good. Along with the 14 yo Caribbean Cask those are both fantastic. The Caol Ila is the Scotch that provides the smoke in all the Johnnie Walker blends. Both of the Glen Morangie bottles will be good. They make less expensive Scotch but punch well above their weight class.

ETA: The Macallan Double Cask I enjoy quite a bit. Many will say it is not as good as some of their offerings but I find it tasty. The Glendronach 12 is a sherry Bomb. It is very fruity and if you like that flavor profile there are not any that hit it better. I've never had the Laphroaig Triple Wood, but I have not had anything from that distillery I didn't like. It will be a smoky peaty blast would be my guess. The Dalmore and Aberlour bottles will be easy drinking.
dsvogel05
AG
I've been looking for Balvenie 17 for my wife. It's her favorite pour.

Let me know if you're interested in selling.
AgInSingapore
AG
Nice, I've enjoyed their lineup so far now that most is making it on shelves here in Houston but they do some special releases that, from my understanding, only hit CA stores.

Friend of mine opened his Foggy Burl and said that it's just okay and that Yellowstone single malt offering is better.
betadawg1
AG
AgInSingapore said:

Also, can you get more info on that Mortlach in the last picture? I zoomed but can't see any details.

It is the Mortlach Rare Old.
AgInSingapore
AG
Right on. All in all nothing too 'special' outside those two 17 year old bottlings as they're both discontinued. That said it's a really nice lineup and some solid drinkers for sure. You plan on cracking them open or looking to offload?
betadawg1
AG
I'm probably going to unload a majority of them. I have only gone through 2 of 10 boxes so far. There is at least that many more that are cracked, plus a lot of bourbon & Canadian.

I'm mostly into bourbon and just don't have the room. I'm probably pushing 1000 bottles already in my collections and don't need to go down another rabbit hole.
AgInSingapore
AG
Sounds good, if/when you decide to unload the scotch don't forget to post up here. Most (not all) of what you have there is still readily available on the shelves at Total Wine, Specs, etc. so it would likely only go for retail, but that's still some good walking around money.
AgInSingapore
AG
Grabbed a Glenfiddich 21 year today at a little shop that still had it at 200 bucks, while specs and total wine have it at 260 or so. Also got two Laphroaig Elements L 1.0 (117.2 proof!), shame it's a 700 ml bottle, but at that proof maybe I'm better off.
betadawg1
AG
Here are some more I found. What would be fair for this set. All are open except the 12 double cask and the Edition 1 has a cork issue.
AgInSingapore
AG
I gotta say, open bottles are subjective so I can't add anything on valuation unfortunately. Sealed up that's some big $$$ for collectors but obviously not the case here, sorry man. I say drink them, share them, etc.
AgInSingapore
AG
Going to go look for bottles tomorrow at lunch, see what I can come up with. Don't think anything new has hit stores but you never know, may just top of three deep of some I already have or wait till next week.
AgInSingapore
AG
Macallan Harmony Arabica purchased to complete my vertical of what's available in the US at the moment. Nothing else came home with me, see what next week holds.
Bigfootisreal
So I got two bottles of Glenglassaugh (Whisky Advocate's Whisky of the Year) a couple weeks ago. Opened one last night and wowza- so tropical it is crazy. Sweet and briny nose, palate is a force of candied pineapple with a hint of honey and vanilla. Soft finish at just over 100 proof. Pretty darn good especially for $70/bottle! Reviews mentioned salt in the flavor, but I couldn't pick any of that up. Looking forward to tasting again!
AgInSingapore
AG
My review is one page back, pretty much in line with what you've said! My wife really likes it and killed her first bottle two nights ago, need to pull another out of the bunker for her.
Bigfootisreal
Your review was much more detailed than mine!! I will have to try again to see if I get any biscuit- there was something there I couldn't put my finger on. Wife kept saying lots of vanilla but I just got a subtle hint.
Rocketman84
AG
Bigfootisreal said:

So I got two bottles of Glenglassaugh (Whisky Advocate's Whisky of the Year) a couple weeks ago. Opened one last night and wowza- so tropical it is crazy. Sweet and briny nose, palate is a force of candied pineapple with a hint of honey and vanilla. Soft finish at just over 100 proof. Pretty darn good especially for $70/bottle! Reviews mentioned salt in the flavor, but I couldn't pick any of that up. Looking forward to tasting again!
I found a bottle of the Sandend tonight. Enjoying the neck pour so far. I'll definitely buy another as a backup if I see one. A ton of flavor, although I've never been good at picking out the various notes. Nice having a Scotch to share that's not peaty like most of my stash.
dsvogel05
AG
Came across some unique bottles, can't wait to open and try them.
Bigfootisreal
I have that Glenfarclas 17, but haven't opened it yet. Let us know what you think!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.