Food & Spirits
Sponsored By

******************SCOTCH*****************

157,387 Views | 1148 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Cromagnum
Johnsy3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You'd definitely like their Sherry cask then
dummble
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Humble/Kingwood
I wonder if they could transfer the bottle
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Balvenie Caribbean Cask is the most delicious thing I've ever tasted. I'ts definitely a sherry bomb, but so freaking good.
John Francis Donaghy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mazag08 said:

Balvenie Caribbean Cask is the most delicious thing I've ever tasted. I'ts definitely a sherry bomb, but so freaking good.


The Caribbean Cask isn't sherried at all. 14 years in traditional oak, then finished in rum casks.
John Francis Donaghy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
mazag08 said:

Has anyone tried any American Single Malts? It seems to be a category starting to really take off here in the states, but I don't think I've tried any. Colorado, Oregon, and New York seem to put out the bulk of the product. I'd be interested in hearing how some of them compare to similar aged, wellthought of Scotch.



It's a very unregulated designation in the US. A scotch will always be made with 100% barley. In the US a single malt only has to be 51% barley. So while some US Single Malts may choose to use 100% barley to resemble scotch, a lot won't.

Also, in the US a single malt will be aged in a new barrel like a bourbon or rye would, instead of recycled one like a scotch would, making the flavors more like an unusual bourbon than an American scotch.
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

mazag08 said:

Balvenie Caribbean Cask is the most delicious thing I've ever tasted. I'ts definitely a sherry bomb, but so freaking good.


The Caribbean Cask isn't sherried at all. 14 years in traditional oak, then finished in rum casks.


Yes, I realized that. But I've still seen people throw it in the same category as sherry bombs due to the sweetness and fruitiness of it.
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Will be in Edinburgh in a few months. Any recs on some scotch destinations in or around the city? Unfortunately I do not think we'll be travelling too far into the countryside as I would like. It's a group trip.
John Francis Donaghy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Chipotlemonger said:

Will be in Edinburgh in a few months. Any recs on some scotch destinations in or around the city? Unfortunately I do not think we'll be travelling too far into the countryside as I would like. It's a group trip.


Royal Mile Whiskies and Cadenhead Whisky Shop. Both near Edinburgh Castle. Royal Mile Has one of the best selections and some of the most knowledgable staff members in the world. Cadenhead will have a large rotating selection of hand selected barrels from distilleries all over Scotland bottled up and available for purchase. Can get some real gems there.
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks for the advice!
Johnsy3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Celebrating the birth of our firstborn tonight with a glass of Balvenie 21. I've been saving it for this day and it definitely does not disappoint, although not much could sour my mood right now!
John Francis Donaghy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Johnsy3 said:

Celebrating the birth of our firstborn tonight with a glass of Balvenie 21. I've been saving it for this day and it definitely does not disappoint, although not much could sour my mood right now!


Congratulations! And enjoy!

Then go sleep. Sleep as much as you can. You're going to need it. Trust me.

Sincerely,

Father of a 7 month old
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Johnsy3 said:

Celebrating the birth of our firstborn tonight with a glass of Balvenie 21. I've been saving it for this day and it definitely does not disappoint, although not much could sour my mood right now!


I'm about two months away. Congrats!
reveille23
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Any thoughts on Talisker Storm?

I love the 10, but just saw the Storm last night and was intrigued by this offering for a cheaper alternative.
Johnsy3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know that bourbon has seen a crazy price increase the last few years, but it seems to be hitting all whiskeys. Walked into a TL today and saw Lagavulin 16 for $122 and Macallan 12 for $92. I bought bottles of both 3-4 years ago for $68/58 respectively.
txam92
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Johnsy3 said:

I know that bourbon has seen a crazy price increase the last few years, but it seems to be hitting all whiskeys. Walked into a TL today and saw Lagavulin 16 for $122 and Macallan 12 for $92. I bought bottles of both 3-4 years ago for $68/58 respectively.
I agree that's it's getting crazy. You can get Lagavulin 16 in Heathrow duty free, even with the negative Pound to dollar exchange rate, for about $55.
John Francis Donaghy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Johnsy3 said:

I know that bourbon has seen a crazy price increase the last few years, but it seems to be hitting all whiskeys. Walked into a TL today and saw Lagavulin 16 for $122 and Macallan 12 for $92. I bought bottles of both 3-4 years ago for $68/58 respectively.


That's very high for both. Prices have gone up, but not nearly that much.
Johnsy3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I agree. I get price fluctuations, but that seems insanely high.
Txmoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Headed out to Twin Liquors dollar sale later today. Not a scotch guy but picking up some for a friend. Seeking recommendations for a good valued highland scotch (approx $30-45 range). Bonus points if it's not the usual suspects. TIA!
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Here's a couple..







And for an Irish, this is really really good at under $40 and is closer to scotch in flavor..

HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Picked up an Aberlour 16 today. I have some of the 12 left, so I'm going to do a side by side to compare. For science.
Max06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone here travel internationally on a regular basis from DFW, SAT, or AUS? I really love Balvenie triple cask 12 yr but it's not distributed in the US.

I'd also be interested in learning about/trying domestically available alternatives.
HTownAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
HTownAg98 said:

Picked up an Aberlour 16 today. I have some of the 12 left, so I'm going to do a side by side to compare. For science.

I can report that the 16 is worth the extra money. Much more depth of flavor and better balance. I'm a big fan.
MEENag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You can thank global politics for your Scotch price increases. Trump imposed a 25% tariff on Scotch imports in October 2019. Europe did the same a year earlier for american whiskey.

/https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/how-trumps-failure-to-learn-from-history-is-making-your-whiskey-a-lot-more-expensive/2020/02/17/797d199c-51ca-11ea-9e47-59804be1dcfb_story.html%3foutputType=amp

Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Picked me up a bottle of Longmorn 16 the other day. Pretty damned good for those speyside lovers that crave a butterscotch flavor.
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mazag08 said:

John Francis Donaghy said:

mazag08 said:

Balvenie Caribbean Cask is the most delicious thing I've ever tasted. I'ts definitely a sherry bomb, but so freaking good.


The Caribbean Cask isn't sherried at all. 14 years in traditional oak, then finished in rum casks.


Yes, I realized that. But I've still seen people throw it in the same category as sherry bombs due to the sweetness and fruitiness of it.


Sherry does not always equate to sweet. I do like sherry finished scotches, but am more partial to port finished or rum finished.
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cromagnum said:

mazag08 said:

John Francis Donaghy said:

mazag08 said:

Balvenie Caribbean Cask is the most delicious thing I've ever tasted. I'ts definitely a sherry bomb, but so freaking good.


The Caribbean Cask isn't sherried at all. 14 years in traditional oak, then finished in rum casks.


Yes, I realized that. But I've still seen people throw it in the same category as sherry bombs due to the sweetness and fruitiness of it.


Sherry does not always equate to sweet. I do like sherry finished scotches, but am more partial to port finished or rum finished.
What's your favorite under $75?
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mazag08 said:

Cromagnum said:

mazag08 said:

John Francis Donaghy said:

mazag08 said:

Balvenie Caribbean Cask is the most delicious thing I've ever tasted. I'ts definitely a sherry bomb, but so freaking good.


The Caribbean Cask isn't sherried at all. 14 years in traditional oak, then finished in rum casks.


Yes, I realized that. But I've still seen people throw it in the same category as sherry bombs due to the sweetness and fruitiness of it.


Sherry does not always equate to sweet. I do like sherry finished scotches, but am more partial to port finished or rum finished.
What's your favorite under $75?


I like the blended Glenrothes for an every day drinker. The double cask Macallan is also good if you dont like quite so much sherry. Balvenie double cask and caribbean cask are both solid. If you can up your price to $99, I just found some Longmorn 16 year which turned out to be phenomenal, if you are a butterscotch fan.
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cromagnum said:

mazag08 said:

Cromagnum said:

mazag08 said:

John Francis Donaghy said:

mazag08 said:

Balvenie Caribbean Cask is the most delicious thing I've ever tasted. I'ts definitely a sherry bomb, but so freaking good.


The Caribbean Cask isn't sherried at all. 14 years in traditional oak, then finished in rum casks.


Yes, I realized that. But I've still seen people throw it in the same category as sherry bombs due to the sweetness and fruitiness of it.


Sherry does not always equate to sweet. I do like sherry finished scotches, but am more partial to port finished or rum finished.
What's your favorite under $75?


I like the blended Glenrothes for an every day drinker. The double cask Macallan is also good if you dont like quite so much sherry. Balvenie double cask and caribbean cask are both solid. If you can up your price to $99, I just found some Longmire 16 year which turned out to be phenomenal, if you are a butterscotch fan.


I can't at the moment, but I will definitely keep it in mind.
John Francis Donaghy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cromagnum said:

mazag08 said:

Cromagnum said:

mazag08 said:

John Francis Donaghy said:

mazag08 said:

Balvenie Caribbean Cask is the most delicious thing I've ever tasted. I'ts definitely a sherry bomb, but so freaking good.


The Caribbean Cask isn't sherried at all. 14 years in traditional oak, then finished in rum casks.


Yes, I realized that. But I've still seen people throw it in the same category as sherry bombs due to the sweetness and fruitiness of it.


Sherry does not always equate to sweet. I do like sherry finished scotches, but am more partial to port finished or rum finished.
What's your favorite under $75?


I like the blended Glenrothes for an every day drinker. The double cask Macallan is also good if you dont like quite so much sherry. Balvenie double cask and caribbean cask are both solid. If you can up your price to $99, I just found some Longmire 16 year which turned out to be phenomenal, if you are a butterscotch fan.


I'll add one more to this list. Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban. It's a very good port finish in the $50-$60 range.
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone had the Classic Laddie? It might be my go to for now on. It's about as "pure scotch" as I feel like you can possibly get. No barrel finish, no peat. Just really well made and well balanced scotch.
Cromagnum
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
mazag08 said:

Has anyone had the Classic Laddie? It might be my go to for now on. It's about as "pure scotch" as I feel like you can possibly get. No barrel finish, no peat. Just really well made and well balanced scotch.


The only Bruichladdich I've had is one of the Octomores. Go big or go home I guess.
AgInSingapore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
COVID-19 has me doing my best to keep Laphroaig in business, but I am waiting on Total Wine to tell me my Ardbeg Committee Day 2020 Blaaaack is ready for pick-up
Scotts Tot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As an Islay drinker, I've never tried Uigedail. I'm interested to hear about it from some here. It seems to be highly revered by scotch nerds on the internet, and the combination of a sherry casked Islay is intriguing...

It's available for delivery from my TW for $65. The virus is putting a real dent in my whiskey inventory...planning to do some restocking.
John Francis Donaghy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
FlyFisher09 said:

As an Islay drinker, I've never tried Uigedail. I'm interested to hear about it from some here. It seems to be highly revered by scotch nerds on the internet, and the combination of a sherry casked Islay is intriguing...

It's available for delivery from my TW for $65. The virus is putting a real dent in my whiskey inventory...planning to do some restocking.


Haven't had it in years, but i remember it being very good. Powerful, but good. I think it's higher than normal proof as well which contributes to the powerful flavor.
mazag08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've been thinking about getting it. But I'm not quite sure I'm far enough on training my palette to peat yet. The farthest I've gone is Oban 14.
 
×
subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.