Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

268,299 Views | 1656 Replies | Last: 5 days ago by AgInSingapore
AgInSingapore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Woodlands TW
AgInSingapore
AG
Ardbeg Hypernova in hand, 199 cash price at Spec's 45 and Rayford location.

Also grabbed an Octomore 13.1
Cromagnum
AG
AgInSingapore said:

Ardbeg Hypernova in hand, 199 cash price at Spec's 45 and Rayford location.

Also grabbed an Octomore 13.1

Smith Street specs had the Hypernova for north of $250. I couldn't pull the trigger.

Did go an entirely different direction and grabbed a bottle of Glenallachie 15 and Ardnamurchan AD/02.22

The Glenallachie is everything you could want out of a Sherry forward speyside. Very heavy and oily mouth feel. Lots of dark chocolate, fig, and some ginger. This one won't last me long.

The Ardnamurchan is a briney/peaty Highland which is an oddity. This one was Cask Strength and is alcohol forward on first taste. I'll come back to it after its opened a bit.
AgInSingapore
AG
Why they have a 50 dollar delta is beyond me, that's pretty crappy for basically the same market, but it's not the first time for them. Bought a Balvenie at one location and another location had it for 70 less, it's nuts.
Max06
AG
What's the concensus on Oban Little Bay? Better than 14? How's it compared to 18?
Cromagnum
AG
Haven't tried that one but like very much the 14 and 18.

Slightly related. I finally got to try some Talisker 18 the other day (after years of drinking the 10). That stuff is magic if you can find it. Wasn't a particular fan of Talisker Storm, so I don't know if Little Bay is also a disappointment with a cool name?
AgInSingapore
AG
14 year all day every day for me.
AgInSingapore
AG
Was a Smith Street Specs location this morning and Hypernova (at least where they were supposed to be on the shelf, none on display) was marked at 199 so maybe they realized they had a discrepancy.

Lots of Lag 16, Lag Offerman, and Laphroaigs on the shelf, Glenmorangie looks to have been missing a restock. No Talisker 18 but they had 10, storm and distillers edition.
AgInSingapore
AG
Spec's has the latest Penderyn Icons of Wales 'Hireath' on the shelf already, well before TW pre-order arrives. Wife was with me when we saw it so we bought one and I said that if she didn't like it we can cancel the pre-order, needless to say she liked it. I didn't try it yet but the nose off the bottle was like smelling fresh cut apples, pretty impressive. She says the previous one, Rhiannon, is better but it's totally different so not a true comparison. Welsh single malt impressing my better half yet again, though she's still got Caol Ila 12 as her favorite.
Bigfootisreal
Love the 14 haven't tried little bay yet. However did see a 10 at TW today- guess it is a special release. Anybody with any info on that one?
AgBQ-00
AG
So the new Offerman is fantastic. It is old enough to have the deeper flavors of the 16 but the heavy charred oak give a much more bonfire smoke vs the BBQ of the 16. I get a peppery bite in front. There is a fruit note...almost plummish beneath the smoke. Long dry finish and lingering smoke. If you have not had it get it!
AgBQ-00
AG
Gonna have a dram to salute the last game and wish this season fare thee well
drred4
Dram of what? Had aomw glendronach 18 last night. Had aberlour alba prior and to me it was way better than the 18.
AgBQ-00
AG
Oban 14. I've been hitting Islay quite frequently lately. So a change to the highlands is good.
AgInSingapore
AG
Personally I find the Glendronach 15 better than the 18, but Aberlour is a damn fine pour. I've visited the Aberlour distillery and recommended the trip.
AgInSingapore
AG
Grabbed a Macallan A Night On Earth In Scotland, they made it for Hogmanay so I guess I'll crack it open on New Year's Eve. 90 bucks at TW.
AgInSingapore
AG
Missed this when you posted, the 10 year in the gray tube with the purple rabbit on it would be the 2022 special cask strength release. I've not had it, but a buddy got one, I'll see if he has opened it yet.
AgBQ-00
AG
A little Red Breast tonight. Mmmm
AggieBarstool
I tried a couple fingers of Oban 14 this weekend. Tasty! Now I know what all the hype is for.
ChipFTAC01
AG
My go-to, always have a bottle around Scotch is the regular Glenmorangie 10. My crappyish local specs for whatever reason rarely seems to have 750s of it anymore, going back a couple of years now.

On Saturday I happened to be next door to my old local specs which is a much better store so I ran in to grab one. Helpful guy in the whisky section guided me to the scotch but was standing nearby when I muttered, "damn" as they too did not have the 750.

When he asked what was wrong, he directed me to the Glenmorangie X, which I had avoided as it clearly says on the label "Great for Mixin'!" which to me says,"Not that great but it'll do in a pinch.". He said he preferred it to the regular GM for some fancy schmancy scotch lingo.

He was wrong. It's not that great. It'll do in a pinch. Tasted like a slightly better Grouse.
AgBQ-00
AG
Really good whisky
Cromagnum
AG
Snagged a bottle of Oban 18 at Total Wine in Pearland. Have not seen this one in a while.
AgInSingapore
AG
Good find, I got the Octomore 13.3 today at TW in the woodlands, so now I have all 3 from. 2022.
txag2k
AG
So glad i ventured out of the two forums I regularly visit on TexAgs. AWESOME stuff here. I'm a Scotch novice but I love what I love

Right now I love sippin' Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 14 Year. Great price point for me.

I love trying different Scotch but have found I'm not a superfan of the HYPER peaty bottles. For instance, JW Blue tasted like arse to me but I LOVE JW Gold. I'm not against learning to like... AKA .. acquiring a taste for more peaty stuff but it just seems to overwhelm my palette immediately.

But I must say that my absolute fav is not a Scotch but an Irish Whiskey, Middleton VR but it's too expensive for a non-special occasion pour.

Anyway, so glad I found this sub! Love the discussions y'all have and am looking forward to learning more and trying some recommendations.
AgBQ-00
AG
Took me drinking a whole bottle of Bowmore over the course of a couple years for peat to "make sense" to my palate. Now Islays and associated flavors are probably my favorites.

Some folks though just never get a taste for it and that is alright as well.
Cromagnum
AG
AgInSingapore said:

Good find, I got the Octomore 13.3 today at TW in the woodlands, so now I have all 3 from. 2022.

How is the 13.2 ? I was disappointed in the 13.1 and 13.3
Cromagnum
AG
txag2k said:

So glad i ventured out of the two forums I regularly visit on TexAgs. AWESOME stuff here. I'm a Scotch novice but I love what I love

Right now I love sippin' Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 14 Year. Great price point for me.

I love trying different Scotch but have found I'm not a superfan of the HYPER peaty bottles. For instance, JW Blue tasted like arse to me but I LOVE JW Gold. I'm not against learning to like... AKA .. acquiring a taste for more peaty stuff but it just seems to overwhelm my palette immediately.

But I must say that my absolute fav is not a Scotch but an Irish Whiskey, Middleton VR but it's too expensive for a non-special occasion pour.

Anyway, so glad I found this sub! Love the discussions y'all have and am looking forward to learning more and trying some recommendations.

If you want to dip your toes in, try Oban, Springbank, or Tobermory (in that order). You could also try Bunnahabhain (if you like a little nore peat but with Sherry influence).
AgBQ-00
AG
Glenfiddich, Underrated. Really good pour just to have as a regular on the bar. More flavor and complexity than it gets credit for.
djmeen95
AG
Last day of work for the year - hello, Christmas holidays. Cheers.

MediAg13
AG
Anyone get to try the MacAllen A Night on Earth?
AgBQ-00
AG
May have a Scotland trip in the works for next year. We are narrowing our choices and it has made the short list.
AgInSingapore
AG
I have one bottle and plan on opening new year's eve as it was made for.
AgInSingapore
AG
Also, I'm hearing Macallan Harmony versions 2 and 3 are showing up stateside. Version 1 was phenomenal so I'm definitely keeping an eye out for these, both are supposed to be coffee forward in their flavor profile.

ETA one of the new ones may be a travel exclusive, need to ask my buddy where he got it but the other I know he got in TN at a local shop.
MediAg13
AG
AgInSingapore said:

I have one bottle and plan on opening new year's eve as it was made for.

I'm working New Years Eve so I think I'll be cracking it tonight instead
AgInSingapore
AG
Well let us know what you think of it!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.