Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

267,404 Views | 1656 Replies | Last: 23 hrs ago by AgInSingapore
AgInSingapore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Found a Glenmorangie Allta today, quite a bit of dust on the box top but expected for a 2019 release.
AgBQ-00
AG
Killing my bottle of Laphroaig QC tonight. Will mean I can move something from the countertop to the cabinet.
Cyprian
AG
AgInSingapore said:

Haven't opened it, got too much other stuff to work through. If I find a second bottle maybe it'll move to the front of the line!

Fair enough... i see you also buy more than you drink. That seems to be a common problem around here.
AgInSingapore
AG
Oh I absolutely do buy more than I drink, but collecting whisk(e)y is my hobby. Would likely open/drink more if my whisky buddies didn't live in other states and we could get together more frequently.

I really enjoy sharing a hard to find, expensive, or no longer produced bottle more than I do drinking it all myself and nothing I buy is done so with the intention to flip or trade. Holidays with the family are fun because we'll open up some bottles and enjoy some good (or at least hopefully good) pours.
AgInSingapore
AG
Glenmorangie A Tale of the Forest on pre-sale with Total Wine Concierge, email received today.
AgBQ-00
AG
Just read the email myself. That sounds pretty interesting
AgInSingapore
AG
I ordered 2, why not.

Also, Lagavulin is releasing the third edition of the Offerman series, this one is done in charred barrels. Not sure when it'll hit the shelf but should be soon-ish.
AgBQ-00
AG
I will be picking up the Lagavulin Offerman this time. Have not had the previous ones and the charred oak sounds amazing on the lagavulin profile
Cromagnum
AG
AgInSingapore said:

I ordered 2, why not.

Also, Lagavulin is releasing the third edition of the Offerman series, this one is done in charred barrels. Not sure when it'll hit the shelf but should be soon-ish.

That MF gonna smell and taste like a BBQ pit. I'm in.
Tormentos
AG
I recently moved over to Scotland a few months back and am in the process of building up my bottle collection here. Back stateside I largely always had on hand some Balvenie double wood (mostly for friends/family) and my farorites Oban and Caol Ila.

I picked up some bottles at Tesco to get me going - Aberlour and Bunnahabhain. Really enjoying the Bunna.

Anyways one thing I have noticed in the local bottle shops here is a heavy leaning towards independent Scottish bottlers. There is actually one shop not far from me that is 100% independent offerings. Essentially these independents get casks from all the major distilleries we know and love and then put their own spin on the maturation process. This was something that I honestly never saw in the states.

I'm looking at picking up a bottle of 15yr Caol Ila bottled by Finn Thomson, essentially this a family which have large stocks (casks) of whisky and bottle when they feel it is ready. They may re-rack differently than the original distillery which obviously puts their own mark on the whisky so to speak.

Anyone ever tried out any of the Scottish independent bottlers?
AgInSingapore
AG
I'd focus on bottlings from Gordon & MacPhail, Signatory, Douglas Laing, and Duncan Taylor.
AgInSingapore
AG
Ardbeg Hypernova set to drop 15th October in the US. This is part of their Supenova line but this one will be at 170ppm phenol levels. No idea on actual availability, but would imagine it's limited.
WP69
AG
Quote:

Anyone ever tried out any of the Scottish independent bottlers?

Just sampled the four whiskies by Praban na Linne on Isle of Skye. They produce The Gaelic Whiskies. All were very nice and none were super peaty or smoky.

[url] https://www.gaelicwhisky.com/ [/url]

Edit to add I swill Dewars at home, but my 'like' whisky is Oban or a Macallan. Really like Cardhu, Dalmore, and Aberlour better. Some are going to be hard to source back home.
AgInSingapore
AG
Seeing Lag 16 on the shelf now at multiple locations between Houston and The Woodlands, $90 at Spec's (cash price) and $100 at Total Wine.
AgBQ-00
AG
Thinking about picking up a bottle of Glen Scotia Victoriana as my first ever Campbelltown. Anyone had it or have another Campbelltown that you'd recommend ahead of it?
AgBQ-00
AG
My goody goody has it on the shelf now. total wine is out of stock again so I am planning to pick up another bottle before I finish the one I have.
AgInSingapore
AG
Tomorrow I have many errands to run while my wife hosts a baby shower. I plan to make four whisky hunting stops while I'm out and about, no real goals outside of grabbing a few bottles for my Tennessee buddy. Maybe I'll find something, maybe I won't, but if I do I'll report back. Y'all have a great weekend and be good to everyone!
AgInSingapore
AG
So today was not the day for single malt, but I saw lots of beautiful bottles that would have been awesome in my collection. Unfortunately they all started at 500 bucks a pop so I passed for now. I did grab a few bourbons, one rye and one other but as they aren't single malt no need to comment here. Saw lots of Lag 16, got 3 Balvenie 16 French Oak for my buddy, and know where to go for a 21 year Balvenie The Second Rose.

As a general public service announcement, be smart about the MSRP of what you're looking at, I've seen a 70 dollar and a 60 dollar disparity on two bottles today, both in favor of Specs vs TotalWine. 250 vs 180 is HUGE in my book, so stay informed, no reason to lose out if you can avoid it. It goes both ways, not a slam on TW because I've seen the 70 dollar diff in TW favor as well.
BBRex
AG
Impulse buy at Spec's was Laphroaig 10 with two branded glasses. Why do glasses (which I really don't need) make a purchase more interesting? Anyway, while I've had Laphroaig before (HATED it the first time), this is the first time I've grabbed a bottle. It's a reasonably priced winner.
WP69
AG
Back from Scotland. Brought back a Dalmore King Alexander III, a Cardhu 18, a GlenDronach 18, and an Oban Distillery Exclusive. Also an Isle of Harris gin. I'll never swill 4 fingers of Dewars on ice again.
AgBQ-00
AG
Distillery tour of Scotland is on my bucket list
WP69
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Distillery tour of Scotland is on my bucket list
There certainly are a lot of them. My recommendation would be tour one or two and do tastings at the others that interest you. Actually, our best tastings were from the bartenders at our hotels.

What I thought was an interesting comment was from the guide at Oban. He said none of us make whisky. We make alcohol. The casks make the whiskey.
AgBQ-00
AG

On the shelf total wine. ~95 after tax.
djmeen95
AG
On the shelf at Total Wine in Humble (Deerbrook mall).

Hakushu 12.

AgInSingapore
AG
I got 2!
AgBQ-00
AG
I had a glen scotia victoriana in my hand when I happened to see this one . Figured I would get the more limited bottle while I could.
AgInSingapore
AG
The only reason I went to the store was because you posted that pic!
AgBQ-00
AG
Update on the charred oak...it is tasty. I really like it. Want to have a couple more pours before I try and place the flavors I am getting
Bigfootisreal
Opened a Dalmore 14 year old matured in American White Oak and Pedro Ximenez sherry casks. Very nice- lots of stone fruit and vanilla with just a hint of spice on the finish. It was my first taste of Dalmore, and I am now a fan!
Cromagnum
AG
Pet peeve, but I really hate the "stone fruit" description for tasting notes. What do people really mean, since it can be any one or a combo of any of these:

peaches.
nectarines.
plums.
cherries.
apricots.
dates.
mangoes.
lychees.
AgInSingapore
AG
It's probably better when referencing fruit and/or stone fruit in nosing and tasting notes to narrow down the category if possible. Black (blackberry, blueberry, fig, plum), red (cherry, strawberry, raspberry), tropical (banana, pineapple, lychee) and so on. It takes practice, that is for sure, all part of the adventure.
AgInSingapore
AG
Went to vote at lunch then stopped by Total Wine to pick up the two Glenmorangie A Tale of the Forest I ordered from TW Concierge and grabbed one the 2022 Lagavulin special releases they had on the shelf, 12 year bottled at 57.3% abv.
AgInSingapore
AG
Saw two Octomore 13.2 on the shelf at Total Wine, they did not have the 13.1 or the 13.3
Cromagnum
AG
AgInSingapore said:

Saw two Octomore 13.2 on the shelf at Total Wine, they did not have the 13.1 or the 13.3

Which store?
Cromagnum
AG
Nm

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.