Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,720 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
MediAg13
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AgInSingapore said:

Well let us know what you think of it!

Fantastic pour, had to have two. A bit on the sweeter side and I can definitely pick up on the described orange and shortbread flavors. I can't get weirdly specific with the tasting notes but this bottle isn't going to last long!
AgInSingapore
AG
Excellent, ready for the 31st to crack mine. Regular Macallan releases are fine but some of these special releases really shine and this sounds promising.
AgInSingapore
AG
Got the new Macallan Harmony this morning at Specs, $199 cash price. May crack it tonight, if not then tomorrow as a Christmas treat.
AgBQ-00
AG
Had a pretty good haul for Christmas. Lagavulin 16, Ardbeg 10 and Glenmorangie 10.
Aggie PM
AG
Enjoying a nice pour of Abelour tonight after a great Christmas Eve service and steak dinner! My favorite scotch to date.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Had a pour of Ardbeg 10 the other night, it's great. I generally just get one bottle of scotch at a time to have every now and then, but I could see it evolving to having 2 different ones to go back and forth between.

Merry Christmas y'all!
AgInSingapore
AG
Yes, come to the Islay side of life.

ETA Merry Christmas to all y'all!
Chipotlemonger
AG
I've enjoyed both this Ardbeg 10 and the Laphroaig 10 in terms of Islay. If I wanted a complementary scotch in the $50-$60 range what do y'all recommend? I have that Scotch chart saved so I guess I'm looking at trying something darker and less peaty?
AgInSingapore
AG
That's a good question. I'd try some of the other Ardbeg and Laphroaig offerings to start and see what you think. Caol Ila 12 year is another, though it's a few dollars more than your price range. Bruichladdich Port Charlotte 10 year is another.

Benriach does some smokey peaty stuff but I find it lacking compared to Islay whiskies Not saying it's bad, just not as good in my opinion.

Closed Islay distilleries like Port Ellen are really good but well out of that price range. If you are in Houston I would gladly give you a sample.

ETA Lagavulin is my favorite but pushing 100 bucks for the 16 year old.
AgBQ-00
AG
Might try Talisker 10 , Bunnahabin 12, or even Oban 14 are all less peated and really tasty. I would say Ardbeg Ugiedal the sherry cask aging is amazing. Laphroaig Quarter Cask is delicious as well. But these are pretty heavily peated.
Cromagnum
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Might try Talisker 10 , Bunnahabin 12, or even Oban 14 are all less peated and really tasty. I would say Ardbeg Ugiedal the sherry cask aging is amazing. Laphroaig Quarter Cask is delicious as well. But these are pretty heavily peated.

Yeah, the Ardbeg Uigedail is a flavor bomb. Lots of sherry and lots of peat.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That sounds great. Love scotch and I like sherry.

Thanks for the input all!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Also, thank you for the kind offer. I am pretty far from Houston though!
AgInSingapore
AG
Had the neck pour last night of the Macallan Harmony so won't make too many comments about it until I have a second taste.

It was okay, definitely didn't knock my socks off like the first Harmony version did right off the bat. Will let it breathe in the bottle for a bit and then do a proper tasting. I am also willing to admit that maybe having a dram shortly after Christmas dinner wasn't helping my nosing and tasting abilities, even if it was my first drink of the day.
AgInSingapore
AG
I also now realize I went off on an Islay tangent after completely misreading your post and not seeing you were looking for darker and less peaty, I just get too excited about the smoky peaty monsters.
AgBQ-00
AG
Thought hit me.last night...wondering if you could use Glenmorangie in place of Cointreau In a mixed drink. I think it may be orange citrusy enough to pull it off
AgInSingapore
AG
Give it a shot, no better way to learn than to do it. Personally I think it'll fall short but would love to hear the results and possibly be proven wrong. Just don't think you've got enough viscosity and sweetness, but the end product may still taste good and be a brand new cocktail.
BBRex
AG
Maybe add some simple syrup to adjust?
AgInSingapore
AG
That's a good idea
Cromagnum
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Thought hit me.last night...wondering if you could use Glenmorangie in place of Cointreau In a mixed drink. I think it may be orange citrusy enough to pull it off

You might have a better shot using this orange-infused Scotch which I've only seen around holiday time.

Orangerie by Compass Box.

https://www.compassboxwhisky.com/whiskies/index.php?id=15

djmeen95
AG
Buddy of mine went to the Houston Spec's bourbon drop today. Asked him to check on anything from Springbank while he was there.

He grabbed this Longrow for me - anyone tried it before? Love Springbank so figured I'd give it a shot.
AgBQ-00
AG
Been wanting to try it. Have heard good things
djmeen95
AG
Cracked open my Christmas present.

Holy hell. This is tasty.

Cromagnum
AG
djmeen95 said:

Buddy of mine went to the Houston Spec's bourbon drop today. Asked him to check on anything from Springbank while he was there.

He grabbed this Longrow for me - anyone tried it before? Love Springbank so figured I'd give it a shot.

It's not a peat bomb, but it's not bad. I like normal old Springbank the best of the three they offer.
AgBQ-00
AG
Is that a special edition of blue?
djmeen95
AG
It's their latest in the Ghost & Rare series. Here's a nice review of it:

AgBQ-00
AG
So the bourbon drinkers have me wondering if we could all agree on a Scotch distillery and try and figure out a way to get a barrel selected and imported.
Bigfootisreal
Damn I am in! Do they actually do this?

I would vote Oban, but open to suggestions. Would guess the big ones like Lagavullan, Mcallen, Glenfiddich all do it- they would be solid choices too!

AgBQ-00
AG
I don't know if it is possible or not. Just the thought came to mind and would be awesome if we could do it.
AgBQ-00
AG
I'm going to do some digging to see what kind of steps need to be taken in order to get it imported.
ziggity06
I'm interested especially if your able to get a cask strength
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'm in for a scotch barrel bottle if that were to happen.
Cyprian
AG
I'd be in for that too!
BBRex
AG
I'm in. Great idea!
HysteriAg
AG
My 50th birthday is coming up, and I want to treat myself to a nicer scotch. I typically get myself a "special occasion" bottle each year for around $300 or less. Previous purchases have been things like Johnnie Blue, Dalmore King Alexander III, and Glendronach 21 Parliament.

This time I would like something in the $500 range. I have never met a scotch I didn't like on some level, so peaty is fine. Any strong recommendations?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.