Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,512 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
AggieBarstool
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Tried a dram each of Bunnahabhain 12 an Ladaig 10, having not had peated scotches in 15+ years. Found both to be fantastic (for different reasons). Coupled with some sunshine this afternoon and a good cigar and I was in heaven.

Given my newfound predilection for peated scotches, what should I give a try next? Hoping to keep it south of $100, but willing to part with the cash if it's a must-have.
planoaggie123
AG
Just opened up a bottle of Balvenie Caribbean Cask 14 Year....pleasantly surprised. I tried the Balvenie Doublewood 12 Year and was not a big fan but this Caribbean Cask is very enjoyable.
John Francis Donaghy
AggieBarstool said:

Tried a dram each of Bunnahabhain 12 an Ladaig 10, having not had peated scotches in 15+ years. Found both to be fantastic (for different reasons). Coupled with some sunshine this afternoon and a good cigar and I was in heaven.

Given my newfound predilection for peated scotches, what should I give a try next? Hoping to keep it south of $100, but willing to part with the cash if it's a must-have.

Lagavulen 16 is the gold standard for peated scotches. Should run in the $75 range.

Anything Talisker is going to be great as well, but the Talisker Distillers Edition is really something special. Very well balanced combination of strong peat and sherry sweetness.

If those are too peaty for you, check out Highland Park, Oban, or Clynelish. All three are lightly peated, so you get a bit of the peat flavor without being overwhelming.
arrow
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

AggieBarstool said:

Lagavulen 16 is the gold standard for peated scotches. Should run in the $75 range.

Anything Talisker is going to be great as well, but the Talisker Distillers Edition is really something special. Very well balanced combination of strong peat and sherry sweetness.

If those are too peaty for you, check out Highland Park, Oban, or Clynelish. All three are lightly peated, so you get a bit of the peat flavor without being overwhelming.
This.

Talisker 10 has become my go to this winter at the bar/restaurant. It's pretty easy to find and usually not terribly overpriced.

Laphroaig 10 is a great bottle to grab if you're interested in peat "on a budget". You can buy it under $40 and it's pretty damn good.
jh0400
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

AggieBarstool said:

Add Longrow to your list. The wine finishes are good, and there is a cask strength Sauternes finish that is phenomenal.
AggieBarstool
Thanks y'all!
Bigfootisreal
Update on this whole Scotch experience:

Ok so bought a Balvenie three pack at Xmas- 12 year double wood, Caribbean cask, and 17 year old in 2 oz bottles. Good way to try some without dropping $60 for the Caribbean. Loved them all, but especially the 17 year old. Will have to see what that runs next time out!

Went to the MacAllan tasting at Christophers (great event btw) and liked 4 of the 5. Unfortunately did not like their 12 year old. Others had good taste but we tasted a #4 ($100) and a rare ($300) that ware way out of my price range. Good times though- would buy the Sherry cask.

Also bought a bottle of Glenfidditch and was impressed for $39 at how good it was.

Diggity
AG
surprised you didn't care for the Mac 12. It's one of the more universally liked "intro" scotches out there.

Bigfootisreal
The Mac just tasted "off". Glenfidditch 12 is very smooth and Balvenie 12 double cast was awesome!
jh0400
AG
I could see where Mac 12 could be considering boring if you tried next to almost any other single malt. It's a good starter scotch because there isn't much going on with it.
Diggity
AG
I agree that it's not the most exciting scotch in the world...but the unfavorable comparison to Glenfiddich threw me a bit.
djmeen95
AG
Just back from London and a quick stop at Soho Whisky Club where I encountered this nice and somewhat smoky cask strength 12 year single malt from the Highland Park distillery aged in bourbon barrels.

Clavell
AG
Ok I know a stupid question, but is there an easy way from looking at a bottle if it is peat or not peat flavor? Afraid the strong peat flavor is just not my cup of tea, but love the non peaty.
jh0400
AG
You should be good if you stay out of Campbelltown or Islay (Bunnahabhain is the exception here). Most anything that says "Highlands" or "Speyside" on the label should be free of peat.

This hasn't been posted in a while.

John Francis Donaghy
Clavell said:

Ok I know a stupid question, but is there an easy way from looking at a bottle if it is peat or not peat flavor? Afraid the strong peat flavor is just not my cup of tea, but love the non peaty.

Not a stupid question. The graph above is nice, but limited to the brands listed.

In general:

Islay and other Island-made whiskies will have some level of peat smoke.

Speyside, Highland, and Lowland whiskies will not. (If it's labelled as "coastal" it might have a little bit of peat smoke.)

Campbelltowns are not usually heavily peated, but they do have the briny seaside characteristics of island whiskies. Almost like a peated scotch, hold the peat.

These are the general characteristics, but there are exceptions. Exceptions are usually listed pretty clearly on the label though, so just make sure to read. If youre in the store and unsure, a quick google search for tasting notes should be enough to keep you from a mistake purchase.
Clavell
AG
Super helpful, thanks.

I usually buy Glenlivet, Glenfiddich or Macallan, but someone suggested I try Glen Moran and it is just too much peat for me. Notice that one didn't even make the chart so maybe just not good choice.
Old School Rucking
AG
If your looking for a light, sweet highland whisky, then you can't go wrong with anything from Glenmorangie. I'm partial to the Nectar D'or, but they're all really nice.
John Francis Donaghy
Do you mean this one?

Clavell
AG
Lol, yeah I know bad example. Actually asked helper at Spec's for a good one try if want to explore peat and he suggested that one. Just got me thinking about how to choose in future.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's a great infographic.

Picked up a Laphroaig 10 year yesterday.
John Francis Donaghy
Yeah, that wasn't great advice. Thats a new offering from Glen Moray, and it's a very young whisky which makes for a harsh whisky, especially when it's peated. It's also Glen Moray's only peated offering, which means it's not something they do normally. Glen Morays other whiskies will be much more similar to the stuff you normally drink.

If you want a gentle introduction to well balanced lightly peated scotch Oban and Clynelish are great ones to try. They'll be older, smoother, and sweeter than that Glen Moray. They will still have just enough peat flavor to be noticable without it being the primary flavor.
Ag_07
AG
I think Bowmore is nice scotch to try if you're wanting to step into the peat realm.

Also when starting out on peaty scotch try drinking it with club soda. I know that sounds like blasphemy and I don't don't nowadays but when just starting on scotch it was a good way to get my feet wet.
Clavell
AG
Thanks guys
SpiderDude
AG
I borrowed a book from my BIL titled "101 Whiskies to Try Before You Die" by Ian Buxton. The are a few American bourbons and ryes in there and the requisite Japanese labels but this book overwhelmingly favors Scotch. Worth checking out if Scotch is your thing.
howdyags12!
AG
I think Highland Park 12 is a good inrtroduction to a slight smokey peat scotch whisky as well.
“The seeds of defeat are sown on the night of victory” Elon Musk
FTAG 2000
AG
Anyone have any reviews of the Ardbeg Drum release?
jh0400
AG
Haven't seen it around but will probably pick one up if I do.
arrow
AG
Tasted Port Charlotte 10 at a local Celtic Festival. Picked up a bottle this weekend. Anyone else drink Port Charlotte?
HTownAg98
Picked up an Aberlour 12 Old Double Cask today at the Twin $1 sale. It's not overly complex, but it is rich and fruity, and I feel like it over-delivers for the price.
dragmagpuff
AG
The US executive branch just set a 25 percent tariff on imported scotch...
WES2006AG
AG
dragmagpuff said:

You are just talking about Chinese Scotch right?
dragmagpuff
AG
WES2006AG said:

dragmagpuff said:

You are just talking about Chinese Scotch right?
I wish lol
John Francis Donaghy
Tariffs on EU products take effect on Oct 18. Scotland leaves the EU on Oct. 31.

I love when problems solve themselves.
Bigfootisreal
Nice cool weather mean Scotch for me. Drank a few pours of Dalwhinnie 15 Year Old and really enjoyed it! No peat but incredibly smooth and tasty.

Side note, I've been on a bourbon run lately, but when you can't find bourbons you enjoy (Eagle Rare, which used to be $20 at Western beverage) at all it is nice to be able to buy different scotch products. Yes, they are much more but it is good to be able to walk in and purchase vs hunt for them.

Cheers!
AggieBarstool
Bigfootisreal said:

Nice cool weather mean Scotch for me. Drank a few pours of Dalwhinnie 15 Year Old and really enjoyed it! No peat but incredibly smooth and tasty.

Side note, I've been on a bourbon run lately, but when you can't find bourbons you enjoy (Eagle Rare, which used to be $20 at Western beverage) at all it is nice to be able to buy different scotch products. Yes, they are much more but it is good to be able to walk in and purchase vs hunt for them.

Cheers!
I hear you on this. Can't stand "the hunt." The sooner people stop hunting bottles (and holding out for stupid secondary prices) the sooner bourbon can get back to "normal."

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.