Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

267,072 Views | 1655 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by Rocketman84
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Picked up some Uigeadail today. Will give it a try tonight.
AgBQ-00
AG
First impression...WOW that is dark amber!! Smells great. Letting it sit a moment for the first taste
AgBQ-00
AG
I don't know how to describe it. It is delicious but I am not sure how to sort all the flavors I'm getting. Will have to spend more time with it.
AgInSingapore
AG
If you've got any left from that 3 pack sampler you bought, you could put it next to them to try to figure out what you're picking up (at least on the nose, tasting 4 ardbegs at once may be sensory overload)
AgBQ-00
AG
Have some ten and some Laphroaig QC. I may have to do a line up with them and compare. The ugie does not hit like a cask strength I was surprised at its abv
Cromagnum
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

I don't know how to describe it. It is delicious but I am not sure how to sort all the flavors I'm getting. Will have to spend more time with it.

It's what happens when you have classic Ardbeg peat and then keep it in a sherry cask for awhile. This one is so full-bodied I usually wait till the cooler months to enjoy.
AgInSingapore
AG
Two pours of Octomore 12.1 tonight at home with my better half and a friend in from Australia, it was a good evening for sure.
Cromagnum
AG
AgInSingapore said:

Two pours of Octomore 12.1 tonight at home with my better half and a friend in from Australia, it was a good evening for sure.

I tried one of the 12 series at the Houston Whiskey Social last year and wasn't as keen on it. The 7.1 release was my favorite so far. Curious how the 13 series will be when it comes out next month.
AgBQ-00
AG
Laphroaig QC and Ardbeg 10 tonight. 1 pour of each.
AgBQ-00
AG
Look what I found tonight!!!!

Eta: I wasn't greedy I left the last bottle on the shelf.
AgInSingapore
AG
Yessssss!
AgInSingapore
AG
Pre-ordered the two Total Wine concierge Penderyn offerings from today.... arriving spring 2023 so got some time to wait.
AgBQ-00
AG
Some Lagavulin tonight. Going to savor this bottle as long as possible.
AgInSingapore
AG
My wife just found a Talisker 18 on the shelf and it is now mine, haven't seen one in the wild in a long time.
AgBQ-00
AG
Awesome!!

ETA: That is one I've wanted to try for a long time
AgInSingapore
AG
I grabbed a Laphroaig 10 year cask strength batch 13 at lunch today as well, pretty good day so far for single malts.
AgInSingapore
AG
I'm glad you found one because after I saw the bottle at WB, I have yet to see it again.
Cyprian
AG
AgInSingapore said:

My wife just found a Talisker 18 on the shelf and it is now mine, haven't seen one in the wild in a long time.

Nice, I'm nursing one over the past year, i cheated and got mine online tho.
AgInSingapore
AG
That's not cheating, just doesn't give the same excitement as seeing it on the shelf. Big proponent of getting oddball hard to find stuff online if the price is right.
OaklandAg06
AG
Thank you for the recs! My Total Wine had a bottle of the Aberlour A'Bunadh so I went for it. Very nice stuff!
Johnsy3
AG
Great choice. A'bunadh is a top 5 scotch for me.
Cyprian
AG
AgInSingapore said:

That's not cheating, just doesn't give the same excitement as seeing it on the shelf. Big proponent of getting oddball hard to find stuff online if the price is right.

Ha, pretty much how it went down. I got a bottle of this plus Dalmore cigar malt for 240 (including shipping). It was from a UK shop (Whiskey World) , so the bottles are 700ml instead of 750ml.

My main motivation was going after the Talisker, i added the Dalmore to offset shipping costs.
AgInSingapore
AG
And to add to an already good whisky hunting Friday and Saturday, I added the first Irish to my collection, found a Gold Spot on the shelf at Total Wine in College Station.
AgInSingapore
AG
My buddy in Tennessee orders a lot from The Whisky Exchange over in the UK, they have a great inventory.

At my last job I was in London quite often and would always go to their brick and mortar shop and spend too much money. Brings back great memories as my Scottish colleague would go with me every time and then we'd go drink way too much way too late into the night chatting about whisky and life.
Cromagnum
AG
OaklandAg06 said:

Thank you for the recs! My Total Wine had a bottle of the Aberlour A'Bunadh so I went for it. Very nice stuff!

NP. And they vary too. I have to look at which bottle I have currently but their flavor profile changes pretty noticeably over time. One of my favorites though.
AgBQ-00
AG
Lagvulin and Laphroaig and Ardbeg oh my!
AgInSingapore
AG
If only the temps would drop it'd be that much better!
AgBQ-00
AG
Yep. But there is football on and I'm enjoying it.
ChipFTAC01
AG
My go-to scotch is Glenmorangie 10. It's not complicated or sophisticated, it's just good. I usually have a bottle or two of something more interesting in the works as well, but I usually reach for the orange bottle first.

But my local Specs which is of the not awesome variety is often out of it, other than handles. Can you give me a recommendation for something else that's easy and not complicated for an every day scotch. Sub $40?

As a backup I often will grab a Suntory. Similar in drinkability. Any other Japanese whiskys I should really pay attention to?
Cyprian
AG
Hard to beat that price/quality, Aberlour 12 comes to mind but will be like $10 more
AgBQ-00
AG
A good easy drinker for me that is in that range is glenfiddich 12. I enjoy it especially as an 80 proof
Cromagnum
AG
Something like a Glenrothes 12 might do the trick for 40ish bucks. Glenlivet 12 and Glenfiddich 12 probably similar cost.
Cyprian
AG
ChipFTAC01 said:

As a backup I often will grab a Suntory. Similar in drinkability. Any other Japanese whiskys I should really pay attention to?

I enjoy most anything the Nikka distillery puts out a lot
Cyprian
AG
AgInSingapore said:

And to add to an already good whisky hunting Friday and Saturday, I added the first Irish to my collection, found a Gold Spot on the shelf at Total Wine in College Station.

How's that Gold Spot? I'm a big fan of thier others
AgInSingapore
AG
Haven't opened it, got too much other stuff to work through. If I find a second bottle maybe it'll move to the front of the line!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.