Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

270,217 Views | 1656 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by AgInSingapore
AgBQ-00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Saw some talisker distillers edition last weekend. Saw mixed reviews of it. Anyone had it?
Chipotlemonger
AG
How do you like it? I am a fan.

Whiskey Advocate just released their 2023 Top 20.

https://whiskyadvocate.com/top20

When my wife gifted me a bottle of BizarreBQ she was between that and a bottle of Glenmorangie A Tale of the Forest, which made this year's list at #8. Anyone try that one or any other Sctoch or Irish drinks on the list?
Rocketman84
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Saw some talisker distillers edition last weekend. Saw mixed reviews of it. Anyone had it?
I used to keep a bottle around, very good. Been buying the standard 16 year lately, little less $$.
AgInSingapore
AG
I have one but haven't opened. May change that tomorrow after work, wife off to lake Charles for a girls night and I want to open something I haven't had yet...
AgInSingapore
AG
Just dumb luck, I popped into a little liquor store I usually visit once every other month or so to grab whatever dusty single malt they have on the shelf, and today they had 2 bottles of the Glenglassaugh Sanded (Whiskey Advocate #1). Both bottles are in the truck along with an Ardbeg Anthology and an Ardbeg Anamorphic.

I feel like today was one of my better whisky days in a while.
Chipotlemonger
AG
AgInSingapore said:

Just dumb luck, I popped into a little liquor store I usually visit once every other month or so to grab whatever dusty single malt they have on the shelf, and today they had 2 bottles of the Glenglassaugh Sanded (Whiskey Advocate #1). Both bottles are in the truck along with an Ardbeg Anthology and an Ardbeg Anamorphic.

I feel like today was one of my better whisky days in a while.
Looking forward to the reviews on all 3!
AgInSingapore
AG
So I'm a peat/smokehead when it comes to scotch whisky, but I'm also happy to sip any others. I fresh cracked the Glenglassaugh when i got home, was excited to see why Whisky Advocate picked this non-age stated 50.5% ABV coastal highland dram as their number one for 2023...

I have enjoyed the Glenglassaugh Revival (have emptied two bottles) so I'm 'familiar' with the distillery, but that's all I've had from there and rightfully so, Revival was their first release in something like twenty years.

Sandend, opened the box and pulled out a beautiful bottle, kudos on the presentation, it really is awesome. The paper label has a wonderful texture, the wooden topper on the cork is a faded powder blue with "COASTAL MALT" engraved around the outside. It's a 700ml bottle that is clear glass, slender but not tall and at the shoulder it's wavey like your looking at waves hitting a beach from a birdseye view. I bet that's on purpose since Sandend is a beach!

Color: very light gold

Nose: vanilla icing on a cake, extremely ripe pear and pineapple (like when you take a bite and it seems the fruit just turns from solid to liquid ), and there's something else I can't quite put a finger on. Overall just sweet, sweet, sweet.

Taste: Man, sweet malty goodness, and some biscuit (think English cookie not bisquik biscuits), faint toffee. I don't get the salt the distillery describes, maybe that's after the neck pour.

Mouthfeel: Good viscosity, not thick but not thin. Good coating. At 101 proof I find no burn but there is a little heat, let's you know there's proof but not in a bad way.

Finish: It's surprisingly longer than I expected. More of that hey I just finished a ripe bit of fruit. Oils remain, and feels warm in the stomach but in a good way, like I wanted a dram to warm up on a cool evening.

Long winded I know, but I really try to find everything I can when doing a proper tasting. All in all defo better than Revival and would be a great summer pour. Fresh, clean, juicy, and a little proofy.

If I saw another bottle on the shelf would I get it? Probably. Will it be my gotta have pour? Nah, but it is good and I would be happy to offer to friends that say 'I don't like single malt scotch'. I'm happy I grabbed these two bottles, and in all honesty my wife is gonna like this one a lot and I'll gladly have a pour with her (or without).
Chipotlemonger
AG
Wow that's a great review. Much appreciated!
AgInSingapore
AG
I really like the fact it wasn't floral, sometimes I find that off-putting in a scotch. One exception is Rosebank, I've only had one from there and it was, at least for me cause we're all different when it comes down to taste due to everyone's genetic differences, like drinking the flower oils from a dusty rose, it was absolutely amazing.

Sorry no tale of the forest review tonight, I'll try to get to that one sooner than later.
Cromagnum
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

I like it, but prefer the normal 10 year. The 15 year is outstanding but very hard to find.
Cromagnum
AG
AgInSingapore said:

Saw 6 bottles of Blue Spot at Total Wine, shame they have it priced at 289.99, gonna keep my money in my pocket at that level.

For a 7 year? Eff that. Go get the red spot that's over 2x as old for less than 1/2 that cost.
AgBQ-00
AG
That was my debate. I LOVE the 10 year. So wanted to hear from others before I decided.
AgInSingapore
AG
Oh I know, I got a blue spot a while back for sub 200. Just confirms my thoughts that sometime total wine is either clueless or actually tries to screw their customers
AgInSingapore
AG
Macallan 2023 A Night on Earth hitting total wine shelves now, $130 before tax.

Grabbed one and a bunnahabhain 2023 cask strength
Chipotlemonger
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

How do you like it? I am a fan.

Whiskey Advocate just released their 2023 Top 20.

https://whiskyadvocate.com/top20

When my wife gifted me a bottle of BizarreBQ she was between that and a bottle of Glenmorangie A Tale of the Forest, which made this year's list at #8. Anyone try that one or any other Sctoch or Irish drinks on the list?

My wife did good and got me a bottle of this for Christmas. Recency bias aside, may be my favorite all around scotch I've had. Tinge of smoke that got stronger as the glass went down. Started out with a botanical/mineral flavor and aroma. Very complex Scotch.

Merry Christmas! Edit to add: I did not drink it straight from the shot glass, I was just using that to measure my pour. Had it over a single small ice cube.

Side note: I still love BizarreBQ and love peat, but I like the more subtlety smoked scotches too. Fun to change it up between offerings.
AgInSingapore
AG
I need to open mine based on your notes
AgInSingapore
AG
Holy ish, total wine offering Balvenie 21 year at 350 a pop, smdh that's just dumb. I can get 10 year Founder's, which is discontinued, for less than that from the whisky exchange. Whisky market has gone mad.
jejdag
I got a couple bottles for Christmas. One was a Glenglassaugh Torfa which is pretty good, but I really like the other one better. It is The Deacon, Both are considered peated. Sorry, I think my palate is not as sensitive(?) or educated as some of you guys. I'd love to be able to describe it the way some of you guys do!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Looks like Deacon is a blended scotch and Torfa is a Highlands single malt. I can't speak personally to either, but if I had to guess the Deacon may be a bit more of a fruity/nutty character scotch and drink a little smoother. That Torfa looks pretty light in color.
Cromagnum
AG
AgInSingapore said:

Holy ish, total wine offering Balvenie 21 year at 350 a pop, smdh that's just dumb. I can get 10 year Founder's, which is discontinued, for less than that from the whisky exchange. Whisky market has gone mad.

Yeah. I had a bottle 4-5 years ago that I bought for right about $200 at the time. It's gotten dumb.
ziggity06
Help me pick my New Years Eve pour.

Talisker 15
Talisker 18
Ancnoc 18
Ardbeg Dark Cove
Compass Box Flaming Heart 2018
Chipotlemonger
AG
I'm a sucker for Ardbeg
AgBQ-00
AG
One each of the Taliskers and the Ardbeg
drred4
Had a pour of glenlivet nadurra
nai06
AG
Do you have a go to place for large selections?

I was visiting family in Edinburgh last month and the scotch bar at our hotel had 500+ varieties on hand. They even had a 40 yo Macallan which was 850 pounds a dram (I passed on that one).

Anyways, they had a large selection of Campbelltown whiskys and I found one I really liked but have been unable to locate it so far. It's the Kilkerran 16yo from the Glengyle distillery.
ziggity06
I have a few stores that I use but none of them have a huge selection.

for the Kilkerran 16 there are a few Specs in the greater Houston area that have it according to their website but your mileage may vary on if they really do
AgInSingapore
AG
Saw a Glenmorangie Truffle Oak Reserve on the shelf today... just can't see a $2500 spend on a whim.
AgInSingapore
AG
Found a Macallan Edition No. 6 today for $170 at a store I had never been to, just went to see what they had on a whim this morning. That Macallan now has a new home with me.

Staying true to dry January, so no fresh crack today, guess I'll grab some coffee.
AgInSingapore
AG
Glenmorangie A Tale of Cake found today at retail, couldn't belive it. Wife and I were out and I say hey you wanna stop at the sketch liquor store to see what they have? She's apprehensive (rightfully so ha!) but agreed, and there it was.

Actually the store has some older bottles of whisky so I'll go back, all at decent prices. Can't say the same for his bourbon, he has most of that, not all, at sky high pricing.
AgInSingapore
AG
Failed to mention due to my excitement of finding that Tale of Cake, also got a Macallan Harmony Amber Meadow, the third in the Harmony series.

Still doing dry Jan (likely going to Feb 13th) so no tasting notes.
Bigfootisreal
Doing Dryuary as well, but going to have to crack one of my Tale of Cake bottles for a wedding the 3rd!
ziggity06
looking for some suggestions on what to buy for my 40th later this year would like to keep cost under 250 but not looking to push that price point if I don't have to. I'm looking for something fun and in my taste profile which is mostly Islay. I'll be having a Compass Box Flaming Heart pour for Burn's Night tomorrow

List of bottles I've been considering
Springbank 18
Kilkerran 16 Specs
Ledaig 18
Kilchoman Loch Gorm
Glendronach 18
Highland park 18
Caol Ila 18
Laphroaig 16
Redbreast 12 cask strength
or something from an independent bottler
AgInSingapore
AG
Taliaker 18 maybe? Or get two bottles, Laphroaig cask strength and a Port Charlotte 10 year or something along those lines?
ziggity06
I have all three of those bottles and I like all of them. The Port Charlotte 10 is really good with the Nama chocolate that uses it. I'll have a think about what two bottles I would get.
AgInSingapore
AG
Then from your list I'd go Laphroaig 16 (and if you know were some more bottles of that are I'd like to know where as the places I hit have all sold out and I only managed to get one bottle). Lagavulin and Oban Distiller's Editions could be fun as well as birthday pours, or one of the Diageo 2023 special releases that are still around on the shelves.

I've heard very good things about the Ledaig and Kilchoman on your list, and can't got wrong with an old Caol Ila. I prefer Glendronach 15 over the 18, and some of my buddies feel the same, shame the 21 year has gone past your price point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.