Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,542 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
AgInSingapore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have had the previous editions back to the first release and yes, they are awesome.
AgInSingapore
AG
Unfortunately I did not buy two 2010 versions so don't have that in the lineup, but 2009, 2014 and 2019 are represented.
Cyprian
AG
A solid smooth drink but with plenty of flavor. This one will be a repeat guest.
SpiderDude
AG
666th reply. Muhahaha.

Cyprian
AG
Yea, you know that had to happen right in the middle of 2020.
AgInSingapore
AG

Scotts Tot
AG
I'm interested to hear from some of you if you have certain scotches that you consider to be staples in your liquor cabinet. What are those certain bottles that once you run out, you're almost certain to pick up another and keep it in stock?

For me, it's become the Uigeadail. After having almost finished my first bottle, it's hard to imagine I won't replace it. The complexity is astounding and the flavor profile is spot-on to my tastes for what I enjoy. Also it's a bit of a niche whisky, and I don't know of anything that can really come close to matching the character of that one (unless there's one I'm unaware of...please advise if so).
mazag08
AG
For me..

Glenmorangie 10 - It's light and has that beautiful sweet orange flavor.

Aberlour A'bunadh - The pinnacle of sherry finished scotches.

Dalmore 12 - 2nd best sherry finished scotch. Different enough from the A'bunadh that both stay.

Bruichladdich Classic Laddie - Perfectly balanced. Never gets old

Glendronach 12 - Had it 2 hours before my son was born. It always stays and I can't wait to have a pour with him.

I haven't found a peated scotch at a decent price point that I couldn't live without. Working on it.
Scotts Tot
AG
The A'bunadh and Dalmore are both on my list to try. I haven't explored as much with sherry finishes, other than Macallan. I also like the Glenmorangie and love it for the value, but don't necessarily find it irreplaceable.
Ulrich
Highland Park 12
Lagavulin 16
Glen Moray 15
Cyprian
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

The A'bunadh and Dalmore are both on my list to try. I haven't explored as much with sherry finishes, other than Macallan. I also like the Glenmorangie and love it for the value, but don't necessarily find it irreplaceable.

A'bunath is a favorite of mine, i think it is great if you like sherry. That flavor just lingers on and on... and it packs a susprise punch.
Cyprian
AG
I usually am rotating a couple sherry and a couple peaty choices. But I do more peaty during the winter. The closest go to I have is Obans 14, but not as much anymore because they have gotten over priced, imo.
mazag08
AG
Cyprian said:

FlyFisher09 said:

A'bunath is a favorite of mine, i think it is great if you like sherry. That flavor just lingers on and on... and it packs a susprise punch.

No lie. People pay double that for bourbon that doesn't nearly deliver as much.
mazag08
AG
Cyprian said:

I usually am rotating a couple sherry and a couple peaty choices. But I do more peaty during the winter. The closest go to I have is Obans 14, but not as much anymore because they have gotten over priced, imo.

Try the little bay.
Johnsy3
AG
My staples:

Aberlour A'Bunadh: my favorite. Delicious flavor and tons of sherry to balance out the high ABV

Balvenie: rotates between the 12 Double Wood and 14 Caribbean Cask. I've had a couple drams of the 15 and 21 and they're incredible but haven't pulled the trigger on buying a full bottle

Lagavulin 16: obviously

Highland Park 12: new one for me but it's so good. Light and fruity with some oak and peat in the finish.
jh0400
AG
It looks like I'm in the minority that prefers Balvenie 15 to A'bunadh for a cask strength sherried scotch. I appreciate them both, but the Balvenie gets my vote.

My other staples are the Ardbeg special finishes like Drum or Grooves, and I usually have a Longrow around as well.
Johnsy3
AG
It's very close for me. I'd give the A'bunadh 9.7 and Balvenie 15 a 9.5
Hootie
AG
My staples are:

Balvenie 14
Balvenie 17
Glendronach 12
Glendronach 18
Oban 14
Lagavulin 16
arrow
AG
My staples:

Talisker 10
Macallan 12
Oban 14

And I'm considering keeping The Dimple Pinch around for a blend. I love that whisky.
betadawg1
AG
My staples:

Deveron 12
Oban 14
Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask
Balvenie 15 Single Barrel Sherry Cask
Balvenie 17 DoubleWood
Dalmore Cigar Malt
Dalmore 15
Dalmore Port Wood Reserve
betadawg1
AG
I picked up these Heathrow exclusives awhile back. Waiting for a special occasion to open them up.
John Francis Donaghy
Those GlenDronach Cask Bottlings are the best liquors of any variety I've ever had. Nothing else has even come close. I've had the 1992, 1994, and 1996. Definitely follow up when you open it and let us know what you think.

Edit: thinking back, my GlenDronach bottles were all sourced through Royal Mile Whiskies in Edinburgh. It looks like your Heathrow bottle was sourced through World of Whiskies, which I would think should have similarly high standards. Interested to hear wht you think.
drred4
Aberlour A'Bunadh
Balvenie 15 Sherry Cask
Glendronach 12
Glendronach 15
Balvenie Caribbean
Glenmorangie Spios
Cyprian
AG
All this Aberlour talk has me in A'Bunadh mood tonight, cheers!
Furlock Bones
AG
I'm big into Bunnahabhain right now. the 12 year is just such a wonderful drink. in fact, my buddy has the 18 year and to our palates there definitely wasn't enough of a difference for the price difference.
betadawg1
AG
It Irish, but one one my favorites. Haven't seen it for months and found a small store with 5.
mazag08
AG
betadawg1 said:

It Irish, but one one my favorites. Haven't seen it for months and found a small store with 5.

One of my all time favorites.

Heard they were coming out with Blue Spot but haven't seen it anywhere.
betadawg1
AG
Heard that too. Opened one Red tonight and still as good as I remembered. Also tried the 2 Green Spots finished in wine casks and both were pretty tasty.

Cyprian
AG
Any Japanese whisky fans here? They learned the trade from Scots, just isn't technically from Scotland. I got the Nikka Coffey Malt Whisky fairly recently, it is very tasty. I have had Japanese whisky before, but that was my first bottle purchase. Based on that success I bought a Hibiki Suntory today. Wish me luck?
lazuras_dc
AG
Cyprian said:

Any Japanese whisky fans here? They learned the trade from Scots, just isn't technically from Scotland. I got the Nikka Coffey Malt Whisky fairly recently, it is very tasty. I have had Japanese whisky before, but that was my first bottle purchase. Based on that success I bought a Hibiki Suntory today. Wish me luck?

I've had hibiki and yamazaki both were really good. You should be just fine !
jwright4288
AG
My staples:

Springbank 10 - such a unique and delicious scotch. Really want to try the 15 and 18 year. I think I tried the 18yr one time and it was fantastic.

Lagavulin 16yr - love pear, this is the classic and what I use as my comparison for all other peated scotches. Talisker 10 or uigeadail being two other go to peated scotches.

Tons of others I like but those are the 2 I always like having on hand.
mazag08
AG
Correct me if you think I'm wrong.

Glendronach 12 = Slightly drier Dalmore 12
TTUArmy
I'm glad you guys have a dedicated scotch thread.

My go to is Glenfiddich Solera 15 then Glenlivet 12. The Macallen 12 is smooth as glass. I'm not a big fan of the The Macallen 18.

I finally picked up a bottle of JW Blue today. I left it in the dram for roughly 30 minutes before putting my nose to it. After 30 minutes, it smelled like 1970's EasTex Dragway funny cars and tastes like a camp fire. It's weird that it bites my nose and not my tongue but, my taste buds aren't letting go of the peat. It's a bit disappointing right now. Maybe after a few drams it will grow on me. Maybe an ice ball or water to tone it down a little would do the trick.

I tried my first JW Red back in the 90's, on a trip to Cairo, and I haven't touched JW since. That red stuff is gasoline. /shivers

John Francis Donaghy
Never been a fan of Johnny Blue. All marketing IMO. It's not a bad scotch by any means, but for the price tag there's so much else out there that is so much better. But I think buying a bottle is a mistake every scotch fan has to make once, almost like a right of passage.
mazag08
AG
I wouldn't pay more than $75 for Johnny Blue.

And I always laugh when I hear people at places like top golf get so excited to order it. Congrats on wasting your money at what you think is the pinnacle of fine scotch, but instead is very average.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.