Buddy increased Driver Swing Speed over 10 mph

106,154 Views | 613 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Jetpilot86
AggieDruggist89
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Driving distance is all about the arms race, sort of. I guess

So my buddy gorilla who started all this craze in our group was at my house 2 weekends ago. His ball speed was up to 160 mph with clubhead speed up to 112 mph. But he was averaging 106 to 107 mph. I was at 102 mph. 6 months ago, our driver swing speed was about the same, high 90s.

This past weekend, I was bombing my drives. Gorilla on his good drives were 15 yards ahead of me but I also outdrove him several times to places I've never hit to before. I even commented, golf is easier with shorter approaches.

No doubt about it, this stretch really works.

So all 4 of us bought MISIG, but one of the guys returned it. He said it hurts his shoulder.

Guess who was the shortest driver in the group?

Yup, the one who returned MISIG.
Rusty GCS
AG
I have a bad right shoulder and it does bother my shoulder a small bit. Nothing major at all. That's the reason I've stayed on the Orange band and limited reps so far. Thinking of moving up bands though.
Mateo84
AG
Took a lesson last week and my coach had me working on a very similar move to this thing ... screw it, I'm in ... just placed an order
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Is your group doing just the stretches or swing training too ? On the stretches do yall start in your set up and start your move back by extending toward the blue ball or do you take it back a bit then start sliding the handle ? I'm on the blue band some now when I can and I extend down the handle from the start. Just curious how others are using it...
Rusty GCS
AG
I'm doing my takeaway until the club is parallel with the ground, waist high, pointing down my target line, then sliding my top hand up until it hits the blue ball at the top of my backswing.

I actually do a pre-shot to that first position, then return to set and do it all in one fluid motion. I do that each rep so that my takeaway stays true. I don't want to start any bad habits.

I do that routine for a set of 10. Quick rest and another 10. Then the same except after I get to the top I drop into the slot for my last 10.

Used the blue band today. I swear I thought it was easier than the Orange. Guess I'll use the red next time just to see.
Duckhook
AG
I'm doing 4 sets of 15 reps right handed, followed by 3 sets of 15 left handed. Then I finish with 20 swings without the tension cord and going back as far as I can while sliding the grip up to the blue ball. At least 4 times per week.

Anecdotally, I think it has helped me. I'm at a desk all day, and had gotten to where my upper body was feeling really tight when I would go to the course. I definitely don't have that tight feeling any more. Don't have numbers to back it up, but between MISIG and a new shaft for my driver, I'm happy with my driving these days.
Post removed:
by user
Trinity Ag
S
Trinity Ag said:

I hit this range this afternoon.

Here was my baseline on 24 Feb, 18 days ago:

Quote:

108.8 Swing Speed
153.3 Ball Speed
1.41 Smash
2450 Spin
14.7 Launch
252.9 Carry

Reminder -- this is a Mevo -- the ball speed is the only thing really being measured accurately -- the rest are partial calculations, and tend to overestimate swing speed, and underestimate carry and smash.

Here were my last 10 Driver shots, after warming up -- none deleted:

112.1 Swing Speed
157.7 Ball Speed
1.41 Smash
254.8 Carry
11.7 Launch Angle
3025 Spin

I was tending to be quick, and had a number of toe-y hooks in that group - those tended to be the ones with a low launch angle, dropping the average angle and carry.

Leaving the range, I hit 6 tee shots off #4 at Traditions - a very slightly downhill Par 4, with maybe 5 mph wind, and a damp fairway. Temps in the 60s.

I hooked 3 -- not terrible drives on some holes, but out of the fairway.

I hit 3 on the screws: 294, 298, and 305 right down the middle.

Bottom line is that I've gained roughly 4 mph Ball speed in roughly 3 weeks.

It has also changed my swing -- lengthening it -- which makes tempo and sequencing more important. I have to pause at the top and start from the hips, or I get quick & handsy and hook it.

Overall, I'd say it does what it says it does, and I'll keep working at it - probably switching to the red band next weekend. But realize using this isn't going to just make you faster without affecting your swing.
Update: I've been at it for 6+ weeks, and have been using the Red band for the past 2+ weeks.

Hit a ton of ball on the range today, and finished with the driver, after hitting about 75 iron shots.

117.2 Swing Speed )(+8.4 from baseline)
163.5 Ball Speed (+10.2)
1.4 Smash
271.4 Carry (+18.5)
14.6 Launch Angle
2725 Spin

Note this was 11 straight drives -- with no deleted shots. You can see one outlier in there, which dragged down the average a bit. I hooked 3-4 of the first ones (sliding my weight). Once I dialed in, the last 5 were flat out bombs -- all would have been in the fairway.

And the additional distance is noticeable on the course. The new greenskeeper at Traditions has set the course up much firmer than before, so the roll is significantly longer than normal -- but I am easily 20-30 yards longer than 3 months ago. I'm hitting 300+ yard drives for the first time in years.

I do 25 reps per day, left and right. Working up from 10-15 when I changed to firmer bands.

I'm sold on the MISIG. This damn thing just flat works.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
lazuras_dc
AG
Ok I'm sold. Just bought one online.
CapCity12thMan
AG
your spin rate is killing your distance
AggieDruggist89
AG
Dude!

That's awesome!!!
irish pete ag06
AG
Dammit. I'm in.
Trinity Ag
S
CapCity12thMan said:

your spin rate is killing your distance
It is a Mevo, not a GC Quad, so you have to take most of the readings (other than ball speed) with a grain of salt.

Also, I'm hitting balls without the stickers...so the spin readings are going to be off even from what a Mevo is capable of reading.

The value in the data is the change from the baseline, assuming the swing speed, spin, and carry error is relatively constant.
DaleDoback
Finally gave in. Hope to see the same results I'm reading so much about!
kelkel25
DaleDoback said:

Finally gave in. Hope to see the same results I'm reading so much about!
You chose wisely, embrace the dark side
CapCity12thMan
AG
based on the look of the website and video quality alone, I can't believe I bought one.
KatyAg01
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Ok I'm sold. Just bought one online.
Same. Wonder what the total Texags count is up to?
oldag00
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

based on the look of the website and video quality alone, I can't believe I bought one.
So much this! How many more would he sell with a "professionally" designed website and a solid social media presence?
Rusty GCS
AG
If TexAgs is Social Media then he's doing well at that. That's assuming AggieDruggist89 is really Bernie Fay himself
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Not enough yet for my Pebble Beach round.....
- Aggie druggist
AggieDruggist89
AG
Brah... I'm c/o 89...if Bernie was an AG, I bet he'd be c/o 75 to 80..
AggieDruggist89
AG
So I joined a small discount membership at Pebble called Dukes Membership. Twice in Dec and Jan, pebble had a sale. Play pebble and spyglass for total $450. Those deals I think sold out in like 10 minutes.
RooAg
AG
Add another one to the list. I'm in.
PJYoung
AG
It would be nice if Bernie could put out a special maroon edition.
AgLA06
AG
PJYoung said:

It would be nice if Bernie could put out a special maroon edition.

White, grey, black, and maroon bands!
Post removed:
by user
jdbq99
AG
I just stumbled onto this thread...

I bought one of these when they first came out (not even sure how long ago it was), but used it as more of a quick stretch before hitting and didn't use it regularly to gain any kind of increased flexibility or speed. In fact, the version I have doesn't even have the blue ball on top - it's just an open ended rod. To think that I've wasted all of these months letting the thing sit in a corner in the closet. That all changes tonight.
JD
JarAG2007
AG
JFrench
AG
Had one about a month or so. I'm terrible at golf so no clue if its helping.

Got it mainly because my range of motion is getting worse from shoulder surgery years ago. My shoulder feels better than it has in a long time.

I went to the range this weekend and an old man was warming up with one in the parking lot. He said his whole group has one. Got it specifically for same reason I did and was having good success.

Only complaint is the grip is rolling up
AggieDruggist89
AG
CapCity12thMan said:

Did Bernie update the website? If so, power of TexAgs.
19AG84
AG
I have the speed sticks. They have worked. If you do the drills they will help you off the tee. I started these drills at age 60. I am now 61. I hit it further.
Trucker 96
I thought you were going to tell us you're now 59 from using these things
19AG84
AG
Fore Left! said:

I thought you were going to tell us you're now 59 from using these things
LOL. I wish. Getting out of bed even hurts. Even though my handicap index is now above a 5, I still enjoy playing this extremely frustrating game.
CapCity12thMan
AG
if that is an updated website I shudder to think what the old one looked like...

so, with that - karma hit me bad.

I bought one, it's been sitting in the closet, but I got motivated yesterday to start stretching and generally trying to show some degree of physical fitness. Well, I didn't strap the thing to my arm, as I just wanted to see how it would work. I setup, take a decent turn away from the floor and slide my right hand up....the cord and strap come whipping around the left side of my face and bam - smack into my left eye. Corneal abrasion. Apparently a pretty good one too.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.