Arsenal 2020-2021 Thread

81,351 Views | 2052 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Strangely Attractive
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2019-2020 is now OVER!

Let's do this.
TXAggie2011
AG

Quick turnaround this year! I believe we are only 26 days away from Auba getting a second chance on successfully holding a trophy!
gougler08
AG
Lots of positives to take from the COVID restart, let's start w/ keeping Auba
byfLuger41
AG
Juan!
OneBlitzer
AG

TXAggie2011
AG
Here's to many more trophies and many more Pepes wearing jerseys backwards
wangus12
AG
He just took Always Forward too seriously. Not gonna lie, I bought that kit..
chjoak
AG
chjoak
AG
Few other rumors I'm reading today...

- Arsenal supposedly have overtaken Napoli & Everton as front runner in a bid to sign Lille CB Gabriel. I've seen a claim of a 24m GBP offer submitted. Lille have supposedly already signed his replacement from Ajax and are eager to get a deal done.

- Unai Emery has been appointed manager at Villareal. His #1 transfer window priority is to sign Duezy. Supposedly they are offering a loan with a buy option. No info on financial terms. There have been steady Barca & PSG rumors for Duezy as well.

- Torino are trying to sign former Sampdoria & Milan manager Marco Giampaolo. Supposedly he has a list of demands in order for him to sign and very high on his list is the purchase of Lucas Torriera whom was the base of his MF at Sampdoria
wangus12
AG
Club is firing 55 people due to Covid-19 impacts. Apparently finances are in a pretty dire spot. People are losing their **** about it.
KCup17
AG
It baffles me how Duezy is linked to Barca & PSG. He wouldn't get playing time with either of those teams midfield.
chjoak
AG
KCup17 said:

It baffles me how Duezy is linked to Barca & PSG. He wouldn't get playing time with either of those teams midfield.

Both (but especially PSG) have very little promising youth at CM/DM.
TXAggie2011
AG
KCup17 said:

He's pretty talented, and did spend about a decade in the PSG youth set up. He's just a headcase.

Both of those clubs are in positions to potentially blow some cash on a talented headcase.
TXAggie2011
AG
Here's the full statement from the club regarding staff reductions...

https://www.arsenal.com/news/club-update-2020?fbclid=IwAR1m8Rg8f4lpydWWFuTyjw5fI9eirvNhQu0b39wHO0Lkw8Pcrff83YPICBg
agdoc2001
AG
Who needs scouts? Let's see what Kia is selling out of the back of his van in the parking lot today.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
KCup17
AG
Willian reportedly agrees to a 3 yr deal with Arsenal on $132K a week
agdoc2001
AG
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chjoak
AG
Most of the speculation I read on other boards is that we are using COVID as an excuse to clean house of a bunch of scouts that have been around 10+ yrs and many of which haven't done much for us in awhile. The general assumption is that we will rebuild with a smaller dept focusing on analytics.
wangus12
AG
I agree with that. Reading reddit you'd think the club just killed everybody's favorite uncle. I do think doing it and blaming Covid is ****ty, but it is what it is.
TXAggie2011
AG
chjoak said:

Most of the speculation I read on other boards is that we are using COVID as an excuse to clean house of a bunch of scouts that have been around 10+ yrs and many of which haven't done much for us in awhile. The general assumption is that we will rebuild with a smaller dept focusing on analytics.
I mean, if they can be effective with a smaller department, that's fine. But if some employees just aren't doing a good job, you'd obviously prefer to replace them, not delete the position. Maybe they'll slowly re-fill positions when finances are better.

Since we're not typically in on the established star player nor can really afford to waste money on misses, I kind of figure scouting is more paramount at Arsenal than it is some of the other top clubs...so hopefully whatever they're doing, a top scouting department is built/rebuilt.
wangus12
AG
Looks like getting Auba to stay is on the cards for a few more years.

In terms of the house cleaning, the picture I'm getting is that Wenger's network was based on having at least one high level scout in different areas of the world, usually living there and travelling around watching players. And this person was a permanent employee of the club probably on a six figure salary. We are stopping that and will use analytics to narrow down the dataset, and then send people to watch players more closely as needed. Liverpool and City both do this and Edu wants to emulate it here.
chjoak
AG
wangus12 said:

Looks like getting Auba to stay is on the cards for a few more years.
Yeah I'm seeing that we are close to a 3yr 250k/wk extension

Also seeing...

• 3yr (+1 option) 100k/wk fro Willian
  • Ending Coutinho pursuit since WIllian is in the bag
  • Negotiating the purchase of 22yo Lille CB Gabriel. Lille looking for 18m + 9m addons. Gabriel has chosen us over ManU, Everton & Napoli
  • Torreira has 1 foot out the door. Drawing interest from Torino (attempting to hire his Sampdoria manager), Fiorentina (Sporting Director at Sampdoria when sold), Milan (Ivan at Arsenal when purchased) and Atletico (Simeone likes him)
  • AMN has supposedly be listed as available with a 30m price tag
  • Seeing a number of reports that are still insisting that we are after Partey but need to sell a few players to fund the deal since Atletico are refusing swap deals or anything lower than the release clause.
  • Gunners are supposedly interested in Lyon CM Houssem Aouar. Not sure if realistic but this is most certainly one I could get behind. Maybe send them Duezy + some cash. He is young (22) and I think could work very well in Dani's role or further up the pitch as a b2b #10 or as the #8/10 in the 4-3-3.

Quote:

In terms of the house cleaning, the picture I'm getting is that Wenger's network was based on having at least one high level scout in different areas of the world, usually living there and travelling around watching players. And this person was a permanent employee of the club probably on a six figure salary. We are stopping that and will use analytics to narrow down the dataset, and then send people to watch players more closely as needed. Liverpool and City both do this and Edu wants to emulate it here.
That makes sense. Had no clue our scouting network was so large. Shouldn't surprise me considering AW didn't even like to use computers.
TXAggie2011
AG
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/03/sports/soccer/arsenal-arsene-wenger-analytics.html

"On Soccer: How Arsenal and Arsene Wenger Bought Into Analytics"

Arsenal signed an exclusive deal with an analytics firm back in the early 2010s and folks in the club even wanted to buy the firm outright. (Maybe they did eventually buy it outright.)

And it wasn't just some token operation for appearances. It was a highly regarded operation. I'm not exactly sure where we stand with them at this moment. The chief left Arsenal in March to go work at FIFA.

But I immediately thought about this when I started seeing people say the club previously avoided analytics

Quote:

Those familiar with Arsenal's approach, though, believe it is among the most advanced in the field.

In part, that is because the data StatDNA produces is tailored for Arsenal. Many clubs still rely on external companies, such as Opta, to provide the raw figures from which their own teams of analysts work.

Arsenal, by contrast, has developed not just different metrics, but more thorough ones. Where it takes a commercial provider a couple of hours to code a single match, StatDNA requires around 14. The data Arsenal works from, in other words, is far cleaner.

It is also more in depth. StatDNA focuses not only on individual offensive output, but on defensive metrics, too, factors that are difficult to code.
TXAggie2011
AG
And I mean, doesn't Manchester City/The City Group not just "own" a scout on each continent, but own a whole damn club on each continent?

I don't really know how much money is being saved, I'm not sure if all of those 55 jobs were really a waste or what, I just feel like there's a ton of spin going around. (On various sides of the issue.)
chjoak
AG
I think I saw somewhere that the savings was something like 3-4m per year. Not much if you are talking player/manager salaries but that is a pretty big chunk of other operating costs. Either way, I agree that this is likely a bunch of spin. Likely something that Raul/Edu/Stan wanted to do anyway and they are trying to spin it to their advantage (though I'm not sure it is working). Probably would have been better to just fire them and claim under performance and change in scouting system.
chjoak
AG
Maybe Coutinho deal isn't out of question yet????
Either things have advanced or this is a desperate attempt to get us interested again.

wangus12
AG
Gabriel has been removed from Lille's store to buy his kit.
chjoak
AG
I keep seeing claims that our main transfer goal this window is Willian, Gabriel, Partey and retain Dani. After that it will be cheaper depth and youth.
wangus12
AG
Sounds like we are gonna be in a battle to sign Gabriel with Napoli of course
chjoak
AG
wangus12 said:

Sounds like we are gonna be in a battle to sign Gabriel with Napoli of course
Last I heard Gabriel had already decided that he preferred Arsenal. Part of the reason Napoli was looking at him was as a replacement for Koulibaly but they haven't found a taker for him given their price tag.
TXAggie2011
AG
Lots of outlets reporting a Willian announcement is imminent.

Also, a new name I personally hadn't seen connected: Quincy Promes, from Ajax.

I'm always for adding Eredivisie forwards, but not sure I'd pay out for Promes. Good, experienced player, but almost 29 and not necessarily a game-changing talent.
chjoak
AG
I think the Promes link is BS. He plays W. How many wingers do we actually need? Assuming PEA is moved to ST, Willian will give us 5 (Willian, Pepe, Saka, Nelson & Martinelli). I could see adding a young W (like Joelson from Sporting that we have been linked with) but no reason to add another vet.
chjoak
AG
Couple other interesting rumors I read yesterday & today...

- Roma is interested in Lucas Torreira and has (are willing) to offer up Arsenal linked CM Amadou Diawara in a swap deal

- Juventus has supposedly stepped up interest in Alexander Lacazette. Their finances are restricted due to Covid so they are looking for swap or swap plus cash deal. Supposedly they are willing to offer W Douglas Costa, W/AM Federico Bernardeschi, CB Daniele Rugani or CB Cristian Romero. The wording on many of the reports makes it sound as if Juventus may be willing to do a 2 for 1 if it is the right 2.

- New Juventus boss doesn't rate Aaron Ramsey and they are said to be willing to let him leave with no transfer fee in order to offload his salary

- Newly promoted Fulham are interested in bringing Calum Chambers back. Supposedly they are willing to offer 12m for a permanent transfer despite his injury.

- Cash strapped Valencia have placed their entire 1st team roster on the transfer list looking to right the books.
TXAggie2011
AG
I think Arteta wants more experience out on the wings, but I agree that if we sign Willian, why would we want Promes?

Speaking of Willian, the Daily Mail claims that'll be official by Sunday.
chjoak
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.