Arsenal 2020-2021 Thread

81,839 Views | 2052 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Strangely Attractive
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
OneBlitzer
AG
LC 2 - 2 Spurs Nervy time
wangus12
AG
Damn spurs equalized
gougler08
AG
wangus12 said:

Damn spurs equalized

That was junior high level keeping by Schmeichel
Ag Since 83
AG
I assume both teams are going for it in Leicester should be quite the finish
Ag Since 83
AG
Did Tottenham score again? I see 3-2 on sofascore.com but no scorer yet
OneBlitzer
AG
Damn Bale! Bummer!

Wrong emoji
wangus12
AG
Well ****
wangus12
AG
Did Kane handle that
gougler08
AG
Ag Since 83
AG
Wow what a bad week for Leicester

Oh well, I know there are plenty of Arsenal fans who don't want to be in the ECL
gougler08
AG
VAR has to screw us one more time to end the season
wangus12
AG
That goal 100% gets called back by VAR if it's us. Ridiculous
OneBlitzer
AG
Gut punch end to the Arsenal season in Leicester.. Damn Spurs! So bummed!
AggieRob93
AG
It's what happens when a team has an at best junior league manager and is at the mercy of results from other matches.

No doubt issues for Arsenal abound, from ownership on down, but Arteta is as big as any of the them.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Would you say that he improved as the season went along?
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Teacher_Ag
AG
Stars didn't align. But, we will come back stronger next season while Kaneless and possibly Sonless Spuds flounder in Europa and fall in the table. Would have been nice to finish ahead of them this time but next season it will be fun to watch them shed their bandwagon fans.
wangus12
AG
Maybe we'll get the benefit of not having tons of midweek games for a rested squad and less constant rotation, but I hate having to wait full weeks between matches.

Curious to see how much turnover we have. We need several changes. Wouldn't mind getting Bissouma from Brighton. Looked good today.

Hopefully they can build off of these last several games.
Ag Since 83
AG
I think the ownership/way the club is run is by far the biggest problem

It's debateable which of manager/squad is 2nd
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
OneBlitzer
AG
I believe Arteta has the club heading in the right direction. Arsenal have accumulated the third most points behind the Manchester clubs since Boxing Day. It helped to clear the locker room of the toxic players. Also, Auba deserves decent portion of responsibility for this subpar season. Huge drop off from past seasons.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
OneBlitzer said:

I believe Arteta has the club heading in the right direction. Arsenal have accumulated the third most points behind the Manchester clubs since Boxing Day. It helped to clear the locker room of the toxic players. Also, Auba deserves decent portion of responsibility for this subpar season. Huge drop off from past seasons.

I'm torn and it's not a hill I'm going to die for. To me, it could be a situation where things had to get worse before they got better. Some of the players we got rid of were dead weight and made this team poor. He seems to have gotten the best out of Xhaka and DL, who we've seen play much worst. It's east to bag on GX but damn, he's such a professional. Now, we also brought in Willian and didn't sell any of our dead weight.

The argument against that is you are hired to hit the ground running when you manage Arsenal. Outside of European soccer is never good enough and we dropped some stupid points this year.

And throw in a pandemic and the Super League stuff and it was made even more difficult.
Strangely Attractive
AG
I think we should keep Arteta and things are headed in the right direction. If he had been sacked mid season, it's hard to imagine a new manager putting up as good a 2nd half as Arteta did.

But at the same time, Arteta drives me crazy at times. Pepe was hot at the end of the last season and we bring Willian in and throw a wrench into Pepe's progression (we better not do that again this offseason.). The Saliba situation was completely mismanaged. We don't play Martinelli nearly enough (he has the highest expected goals and assists per 90 of anyone in the club). But still, overall I think he has done a good job, and we're playing more the way he wants to.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.