Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

****2023 Trail and Ultra Running****

39,891 Views | 711 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by TRD-Ferguson
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Those who listen to podcasts, Freetrail released a great one where Dylan's brother interviews Dylan about Hardrock. Sometimes its hard to imagine the pros going through the same stuff us mortals do since they are so fast. They dive pretty deep into Dylan's struggles and completely falling apart at hardrock.
aggiespartan
AG
I listened to this a couple of days ago. It was really interesting when they talked about the golden hour too and how he watched people coming in so much later than him. Slow people can't imagine running that fast and fast people can't imagine being on their feet for that long. I'm glad he kept going though. I know pros have more things to think about when DNFing, but I hate to see people DNF just because they aren't going to get a certain time.
AggieOO
can't remember which podcast it was, but after WS100, Tom Evans mentioned that if he had to run for 24+ hours, he probably wouldn't be in the sport b/c he can't imagine running that long.
aggiespartan
AG
It's pretty cool that this is one of the only sports where the regular people can line up next to the pros.
coop-aero-06
AG
Here's a few pics from 12 hours of pacing at the Tahoe 200 last weekend.

It was beautiful but hot out there. I ran from about 6am - 6pm on Saturday. 200's are insane.
AggieOO
images don't work.
aggiespartan
AG
I can see them
AggieOO
Weird. They don't work on my computer or phone.
aggiespartan
AG

AggieOO
Thanks
coop-aero-06
AG
Thanks. I don't know how to internet.
aggiespartan
AG
For anyone looking for a vest or gear, I thought I'd share my experience with Salomon's customer service. I purchased the sense pro 2 vest for races. The mesh on the vest is a little rough, but it wasn't terrible, just a little itchy. I contacted customer service chat to ask if they knew of any way to soften the fabric a little bit. The girl asked if I had already washed it, which I had. She said that she would create a ticket to ask their products team if further washes would soften the fabric, which I got a notification of. Today, I received an email saying they reviewed the ticket and were issuing me a $140 voucher. I never asked for a refund, or said I had a problem with the product. So, when in doubt, ask.

and FWIW, they didn't even answer the question whether additional washes would soften up the mesh.
oldarmy76
Good luck to those doing the colorado bend race tomorrow. I'll be out there with American flag shorts on.
aggiespartan
AG
Just made it to Lampasas. Seems like it's going to be nice and hot.
Dafstun
AG
Good luck y'all. I'll be in red shorts with a Nathan vest.
aggiespartan
AG
Yellow shorts and a pink crop top unless I make a last minute wardrobe change.
aggiespartan
AG
Anybody know what to put in GPS to get to the right place? I thought I saw GPS coordinates before, but I can't find them now.
oldarmy76
Follow the park road till it gets to a tee down by the river. Take a right. Can't miss it if you do that.
aggiespartan
AG
Just kidding. Blue shorts and bright yellow shirt and tie dye headband.
AggieOO
Good luck all. Have fun being miserable out there.
oldarmy76
106 at the start. 100 at the finish. But I just did the 10k. It may be down in the mid 90s for some of the people doing a proper distance.
aggiespartan
AG
You were totally right about that spot of dead air.
AggieOO
How'd it go all?
aggiespartan
AG
Went ok for me. Learned a lot. The shoes I chose to wear weren't the best for rocks. I almost wonder if I should size down in trail shoes because my foot was moving around way too much. Looking at the results, women were really under represented at this race. It was a fun event though. The people at the first and last aid station on the course were the best.
Dafstun
AG
The start was miserably hot. Temps cooled off quite well throughout the night to something almost pleasant with a breeze. Very technical trails with much of it unrunnable. Surprising elevation gain with 3 main climbs. My watch logged 3400ft. Great aid station options. I'd never tried Drip Drop before but it was a tasty electrolyte drink. I finished just before 5am and my buddy and I decided to just pack it up and leave rather than attempt to sleep in our tents. Fun and challenging race overall.
Dafstun
AG
aggiespartan said:

Went ok for me. Learned a lot. The shoes I chose to wear weren't the best for rocks. I almost wonder if I should size down in trail shoes because my foot was moving around way too much. Looking at the results, women were really under represented at this race. It was a fun event though. The people at the first and last aid station on the course were the best.

That aid station was great. I thought I was hearing coyotes in the distance but no. It was them hootin and hollering.
aggiespartan
AG
Dafstun said:

The start was miserably hot. Temps cooled off quite well throughout the night to something almost pleasant with a breeze. Very technical trails with much of it unrunnable. Surprising elevation gain with 3 main climbs. My watch logged 3400ft. Great aid station options. I'd never tried Drip Drop before but it was a tasty electrolyte drink. I finished just before 5am and my buddy and I decided to just pack it up and leave rather than attempt to sleep in our tents. Fun and challenging race overall.

I passed a couple of guys that said they went out too fast because they were trying to get as far as they could before it got dark. Sounded like the heat was really getting to one of them.
JustPanda
AG
Ran Pikes Peak not this weekend but last.

https://www.madmooseevents.com/pikes-peak-ultra
aggiespartan
AG
how was Mad Moose? I've heard good things about their events.
The Pilot
AG
JustPanda said:

Ran Pikes Peak not this weekend but last.

https://www.madmooseevents.com/pikes-peak-ultra
I've heard of those events but I'm surprised to see that none of the three distances summit PP.
aggiespartan
AG
What shoes are you guys wearing for rocky terrain?
Tamuag04
AG
Hoka Mafate Speed 4s

Been a Speedgoat since the 2s but feel a LOT more stable in the Mafates on rocky terriain. Wear Speedgoats at Rocky Racoon, Hells Hills, etc but Mafates at Bandera, etc
Dafstun
AG
I ran Colorado Bend in New Balance Fresh Foam More Trail 2s. Great comfort and cushion for rocks but this race ripped off 75% of the Vibram lug pads on both shoes. I ordered 2 new pairs that I'm trying to decide between. The Saucony Exodus Ultra 2s and the North Face Vectiv 3s. I don't recall if either of these have rock plates though.
RustyBoltz
AG
Altra King MT 2's is my go to for rocky and/or muddy otherwise most of my trail work is in Altra Superiors.
AggieOO
My favorite local trail (Suburban Ninja) is currently on fire.

And what's worse is the fire has spread into an apartment complex that borders the trail system.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.