Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

****2023 Trail and Ultra Running****

39,859 Views | 711 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by TRD-Ferguson
Dafstun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's fun. I did my very first trail race ever back in 2016 at DVSP. It was just a 10k but I was hooked. If I remember right there's plenty of open space if they put the start finish where it was at the race I did.
aggiespartan
AG
For anyone looking, the Salomon quiver is back in stock.
K Bo
AG
thank you!
Swarely
Going out tomorrow morning to do 7 in bandera. Training starts now.
aggiespartan
AG
K Bo said:

thank you!
Hope you got it. It's already out.
AggieOO
When I searched last time, i found a couple places that had it, even though solomon was out.
AggieOO
just registered for an event and submitted this to their optional questions

aggiespartan
AG
what were the original selections?
AggieOO
Caucasian, Latino, etc
aggiespartan
AG
AggieOO said:

Caucasian, Latino, etc
oooh I get it now
Turk Turkleton
AG
Hey crew, I'm new to trail running, just really started enjoying it in the past year and I have my first 25k coming up in early November. I live in the Himalayas and the roads here might as well be considered trails so it's pushed me off the road and I'm happy it has.

I would love any advice you have that might be trail specific. I'm not overly concerned about the distance for this race but I do have some worries about the climbing kicking my butt (2700 ft up to 8300 ft). Also, should I consider eating at any point? I've never considered eating during a road half, but have thought about taking a little snacky snack with me on the trail.

I'd appreciate any advice yall have to offer!
AggieOO
Turk Turkleton said:

Hey crew, I'm new to trail running, just really started enjoying it in the past year and I have my first 25k coming up in early November. I live in the Himalayas and the roads here might as well be considered trails so it's pushed me off the road and I'm happy it has.

I would love any advice you have that might be trail specific. I'm not overly concerned about the distance for this race but I do have some worries about the climbing kicking my butt (2700 ft up to 8300 ft). Also, should I consider eating at any point? I've never considered eating during a road half, but have thought about taking a little snacky snack with me on the trail.

I'd appreciate any advice yall have to offer!
if the concern is the elevation, you might feel it a little, but I've found anything below 9-10K ft doesn't really bother me much.

Maybe you are more referring to 2700ft of vert over ~15.5 miles. That's not crazy in the trail world, but its also not insignificant. Obviously make sure you are doing some hill work, but squats and lunges can make a world of difference.

As for food, with a 25K, I'd probably just drink my calories. Don't need a lot, but wouldn't hurt to take in a couple hundred calories. Just make sure you practice whatever you will do on race day.

Lastly, since there's a decent chance I'll never get to see the Himalayas in person, i'm going to need some pictures.
aggiespartan
AG
I've been looking around for my first 100 mile race and I came across this spreadsheet that someone made on reddit. Thought others might be interested.

100 mile races
AggieOO
Run100s.com has been around for probably 20 years or more. That's where I've always gone. I'm sure it's missing a few, but its fairly comprehensive.
johnson2012
AG
For those that like Tailwind and apples, they just released some limited edition Apple Cider endurance fuel.

Turk Turkleton
AG
Thanks for the advice. I'm less concerned about the elevation/altitude and more so the actual climbing. I appreciate the push to get back on the squats and lunges.

Here's a few pics from a couple weeks ago at +15,000 ft. Clouds were hiding most of the peaks but it still made for a beautiful day.

Ragoo
AG
We also need to know how you ended up living there.
Turk Turkleton
AG
Wife and I manage an outsourcing company here that recruits, trains, and hires people from marginalized backgrounds (survivors of trafficking, victims of trauma, members of the lowest Hindu caste - the Untouchables). We teach them technical skills and provide a level of work/professionalism/salary they most likely would not have the benefit of gaining otherwise due to their backgrounds.
AggieOO
Turk Turkleton said:

Wife and I manage an outsourcing company here that recruits, trains, and hires people from marginalized backgrounds (survivors of trafficking, victims of trauma, members of the lowest Hindu caste - the Untouchables). We teach them technical skills and provide a level of work/professionalism/salary they most likely would not have the benefit of gaining otherwise due to their backgrounds.
thanks for making me feel like i contribute nothing to the world.
aggiespartan
AG
For anyone in DFW, here's a free trail 5k this weekend. 11 spots left.
Dirt Circus
AggieOO
well, haven't registered for Black Canyons yet, but already booked my flight. SW has their 50% off fares (ends today), so i booked my flight for $167 RT. And the wife flies free due to companion pass, so I couldn't pass it up.
AggieOO
and i got into Barkley Fall Classic for 2024! Can't wait to go back!
aggiespartan
AG
First finishers of Moab 240 should be coming in today. It seems like it's been a tight race. If things hold up, Sally McRae has a good chance of winning her final 200 of the year.
Ragoo
AG
Jeff Pelletier finished M2
AggieOO
Keira Henniger's husband won moab. Don't know him, but have met her a few times. She puts on a bunch of socal races.
AggieOO
Sally won the women's race!
Tamuag04
AG
She is an absolute machine. You catch her Tahoe doc by chance? I can't even...
AggieOO
Yep. And I'd you haven't seen the cocodona one, it's just as crazy.
Tamuag04
AG
Thats the one where she got blisters waaaaaay too early and then at the end was peeling layers of skin that had shed/fused/adhered to her socks right?
AggieOO
Correct
A is A
AG
AggieOO said:

Yep. And I'd you haven't seen the cocodona one, it's just as crazy.
her cocadona doc is great. did not know she had a tahoe one.
aggiespartan
AG
She had a film crew with her at moab too.
AggieOO
pretty sure she's doing a film on all of them, so there will be a Bigfoot 200 one as well.
A is A
AG
Anyone doing the Rattler 50k this year?
AggieOO
I am, but its likely going to be a long day for me. Had way too much personal and work stuff going on, so training has been terrible the last 3 weeks.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.