Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

****2023 Trail and Ultra Running****

39,858 Views | 711 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by TRD-Ferguson
K Bo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Signed up for my first "ultra" today - Hoka Rocky 50K. I signed up for the same race in 2022 but after running the Houston Marathon (my 1st) in Jan there was no way I was going to be recovered and ready for the 50K in Feb. I am signed up for the Houston Marathon in Jan, and was shooting to qualify for Boston, but I am working through some groin issues and I don't see any speed training in the near future so it's likely I will not run Houston unless it's to keep a friend going. I generally enjoy trail running more, anyhow, so I am more excited about the Rocky 50K and running further vs running faster. Prior to this my longest road race is the Houston Marathon and longest trail "run" is The Rut 28K in Big Sky.
AggieOO
Rocky is a good first ultra. a couple rollers out there, but its pretty friendly and non-technical (outside of all the roots).
Tamuag04
AG
People gravitate to Rocky because, relative to a lot of ultras elsewhere (especially out West), it is considered a fast course and a good first or training (for a longer and/or harder) ultra. There is a sneaky amount of elevation change/gain and like 00 said, the roots are the most technical part of the course. But with you being a marathoner, there are a couple of sections you can open up on. But if those roots are wet, look out...
K Bo
AG
Thanks for the advice! The bulk of my trail running is on the ho chi minh trails at Memorial Park so I am very familiar with roots.
aggiespartan
AG
I won a free item from Nathan, but they aren't a brand I usually use. What should I get?
AggieOO
Only thing i use from nathan is their handheld bottles
Sweep4-2
Just got home from Habanero 100, and it was a beast. I was supposed to pace a 100-Mile runner, but she withdrew at 31 miles in so I never got in.

So I hung around and ran/paced another friend on her last two laps on her 100K just to enjoy the event. The course (lots of sand) and temps (103) made for a rough time.
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
Tamuag04
AG
Same as OO - have 2 of their soft handhelds and 2 hard handhelds. Prefer the soft. I have a Solomon vest but their vests are highly rated. That's all I got…
aggiespartan
AG
I may just get a jacket or something. I'm a salomon girl for hydration.
johnson2012
AG
Christmas present for someone? I'm not a Nathan person either and used my last couple codes from Tejas to "buy" gifts for family members who aren't as peculiar about their athletic gear as I am.
AggieOO
in the "not surprising at all" category, URP is shutting down: https://ultrarunnerpodcast.com/daily-news-aug-14-one-chapter-closes-and-another-begins/

any of you want to pick up the baton?

I'd be terrible about it, so don't nominate me.
aggiespartan
AG
AggieOO said:

in the "not surprising at all" category, URP is shutting down: https://ultrarunnerpodcast.com/daily-news-aug-14-one-chapter-closes-and-another-begins/

any of you want to pick up the baton?

I'd be terrible about it, so don't nominate me.
Sounds like the big break you and your BIL need!
AggieOO
nah, not the direction we are headed.

My ADHD would never let me focus some something that has to be done daily without some sort of real deadline/reminder. I'd find like two articles, end up going down 6 rabbit holes due to some info I found in one of the articles, then realize I have a work meeting in two minutes, jump on zoom. Then i'd wake up in the middle of the night and realize i never published anything. I'd then toss and turn, getting terrible sleep b/c i can't stop thinking about the stupid site/feed. I'd wake up tired. Rinse. Repeat.
aggiespartan
AG
Looking for a first 100 miler. Considering doing Javelina in October, but looking for one a little earlier in the year too. It doesn't have to be super easy, but I also don't want to set myself up for failure with something impossible. Any recs?
Sweep4-2
Rocky Raccoon 100 in early Feb is a flat and fairly easy course (and the temps are good). The worst parts are the roots and a bit of mud but they weren't bad last year.

I haven't run it as a racer, but paced a 100-Mile finisher last year and it was fun.

Brazos Bend 100 is in December and it's a flat course, but kind of boring (I only ran the 25K and was tired of the scenery).
aggiespartan
AG
Not looking quite that early in the year. I have Bandera in January. Plus I'm kind of really tempted to do black canyon 60k
Sweep4-2
Ah, got it. I wanted to try Bandera for my first 50K (having postponed Wild Hare in Nov) but it's the same day as the Houston Marathon I think.

So I'm looking for a good first 50 K sometime early next year since I won't be ready for Wild Hare.

I'm still a short distance runner, but the more time I spend at trail races the more I want to one day try for a 50-Miler.
aggiespartan
AG
If you can do December, Loup Garou in Louisiana has a 40 miler and it's a really fun course.
AggieOO
What is "earlier in the year?"

Training in texas for a summer 100 or even early fall 100 sucks balls. Ideally, you'd want a race in June at the absolute latest.
aggiespartan
AG
I was thinking April or maybe June. I keep forgetting that I signed up for a marathon in May.
AggieOO
San Diego 100 is early June. It's a good one, but definitely not easy. Mountain 100 without dealing with elevation. That 7 mile climb out of Noble Canyon is a doozy!

I'll likely be doing black canyon 100k again. You'd be better off doing the 50k at Bandera and 100k at black canyon, but I know you already have Bandera on the calendar.
aggiespartan
AG
Yea I didn't sign up for black canyon 100k because so have a friend that wants to pace and she couldn't do February. We'll see what happens.
Sponge
AG
In Utah, Buffalo Run is late March and Salt Flats is 1st weekend of May. Both about 7-8,000 vft gain so not difficult for a first 100.
AggieOO
Also, don't forget, there's no such thing as an easy 100.
Sponge
AG
Except of course the MC Escher 100 which is one loop all downhill.
AggieOO
UTMB weekend. Who you go?

With Killian out, I'm going Blanchard. I'd love to see Jim finally win it, but I think he falls short again, but ends up on the podium. Tom Evans would be my other pick for podium, assuming he's recovered from Western States. I haven't kept up with his training/recovery.

On the women's side, its hard not to choose courtney, but will she really go 3/3? I mean, she's the GOAT, but she's got a lot of racing under her belt this summer. I hope she wins it, but I'm going to say she comes up short. I'm having a hard time deciding on a winner though. maybe Croft?
ptothemo
AG
For the uninitiated who are struggling to make sense of things by googling it (namely, me), what is the difference in the UTMB series championship and UTMB Mont Blanc? I looked around their site and realized I have no clue what I'm looking at.

I loosely keep up with Hillary Allen after reading her book, and I see that she is running Mont Blanc next weekend. But I see the series championship is this weekend, which I assume is what you are referring to.
AggieOO
Generally when I say UTMB, I'm talking about the original race. The 100 miler. This weekend also has several other races, as part of the weekend, such as CCC which is 100k.

Then UTMB has a series of other races around the world that are part of a championship/points series and is used for qualifying, both for pros and normal people. The points system changed this year, and I have no clue how the "stones" work at this point. I don't really keep track of the points series.
johnson2012
AG
Anyone getting their sweat on at Reveille Peak tomorrow? I'm in for the 30 and my wife and a couple friends are doing the 10k.
Tamuag04
AG
I was thinking Tom as a second tier favorite (for lack of a better phrase) but I see him getting 2-3 depending on his recover obviously. I think you are spot on there.

Rooting for Jim but predicting 3-5th range.

Haven't kept up with the Euros at all.

Not going to bet against Court. If she's mobile, she's the favorite.
Ragoo
AG
Will be pulling for Jim to win.
AggieOO
And I guess I even confused myself with all the races. The 100 doesn't start until 9/1.
aggiespartan
AG
Can't really go against Courtney. Walmsley has put so much into this, I kind of wonder if he's going to get into his own head. I think Tom has a shot. Is wish Aurelian was racing. He's had a heck of a year.
Turk Turkleton
AG
Any suggestions for best coverage of UTMB this week?
Tamuag04
AG
That's Jim's biggest flaw - being too critical and overanalyzing everything. I mean, he has put EVERYTHING into winning UTMB and I'm afraid that the first thing that goes wrong will snowball and end him. Especially if he struggles with caloric intake early on - the dude doesn't have a lot of reserves. Rooting for him though - he is a gifted runner but doesn't have the mental makeup as Sage, Zach, Killian, etc.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.