Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

****2023 Trail and Ultra Running****

39,851 Views | 711 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by TRD-Ferguson
Ragoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oh okay. Just trying to understand the why if the decision.
AggieOO
can't speak to the timing of adding it as a qualifier at this juncture, but its HUGE for Dinosaur Valley. Getting that qualifier endorsement will likely balloon the number of registrants moving forward. Libby (RD) has been sponsoring WS100 for many years and has been working on getting this race as a qualifier for a long time.
aggiespartan
AG
There are quite a few races listed as "new" on the WSER list of races. I know that she submitted the finisher numbers as soon as she could after the race. It sounded like she was also surprised that it was happening so soon as well.
AggieOO
dino valley is the only new US one for the 2025 race.

and i know i just said I was happy texas has another qualifier. and i know WS100 is trying to make it easier for international runners to get a qualifier, but holy crap, there are too many qualifiers. At this point just make it any 100K/100 miler that has x amount of vert or something. Won't be long and this one will be as hard to get into as hardrock. It might already be with the number of entrants. Hardrock is super hard to get into, but the smaller list of qualifiers limits the entrants.
aggiespartan
AG
Harvey Lewis posted that's he's in Western States with a sponsor spot. Swill be interesting to see how he does.
AggieOO
with one ticket, I've got a ~.75% chance of getting in to WS tomorrow! lol.
The Pilot
AG

Good luck!
AggieOO
appreciate it, but i've already made alternative plans for next year b/c I'm not getting in to WS.
AggieOO
Well, we are in december, so I suppose I'll post about a run/project i'm finally getting off the ground in less than 3 weeks. I've been wanting to do this for a number of years, and its finally coming together. Myself and my brother-in-law will be running across Big Bend National Park on December 18th. We are starting at Boquillas Canyon and will be running 72 miles across the park, going up and over the Chisos Mountains, finishing at Santa Elena Canyon. Below is the route we will be following:

The route only has a little over 8K of climbing but its mostly uphill for the first 35ish miles, so it'll be a long slog. The route is a mix of dirt roads, single track, and about 10 miles of pavement. We will have support from two different individuals. Big Bend is a very special place to me, and I'm really excited to take this on.
Dafstun
AG
That sounds epic and I am jealous. I trust that a post run report will follow with pics?
aggiespartan
AG
good luck to everyone today. Hopefully you have some new summer plans to make.
AggieOO
Dafstun said:

That sounds epic and I am jealous. I trust that a post run report will follow with pics?

Absolutely. Going to eventually put together some video as well.
aggiespartan
AG
AggieOO said:

Dafstun said:

Absolutely. Going to eventually put together some video as well.
This is great. Your BIL always just looks genuinely happy to be there.
AggieOO
The stoke is high with that one.
AggieOO
Unsurprisingly, not picked in the WS lottery. Neither was the wife or brother in law.
aggiespartan
AG
My coach was the 3rd pick. Don't know anyone else that got in.
AggieOO
Odd year.. I don't know a single person who got in to western, and I know about 6 who got in to hardrock.
Swarely
Oh wise trail runners of TA I come before you with a question.

With Bandera being my first ultra, I am planning on using trekking poles. The ones that I use when hiking weigh 10oz each and are telescoping. Will that be alright for a 50k? Or should I shell out for some nice ones that are light weight and get a quiver to go with them?
aggiespartan
AG
I think they might just get in your way. I wouldn't use them. I'm not planning on using any for the 100k.
AggieOO
personally, i wouldn't use poles at bandera but totally up to you. You wont' see many people with them out there, but there will be a few. I've run the 100k four times, for reference.

I have a set of Leki telescoping poles. They are 9oz each, so don't think you'd have a problem with 10oz. and i just carry my poles in my hand when i'm not using them, though I've been contemplating a quiver.
Swarely
Thanks guys.
aggiespartan
AG
If you do decide to take them and ultimately decide mid race that you don't need them, you can always dump them on hbc.
A is A
AG
Schedules are starting to align for me for Bandera.
Ran the 50k Rattler in Nov. likely hit the 50k Sunday race since Saturday is sold out. Want to push to the 100k but think I need to tackle a 50m between the 50k and 100k.

Additionally. I've only ever ran the north side of the trails. I think I'll use this year as a scouting trip before the 100k.
Dafstun
AG
aggiespartan said:

I think they might just get in your way. I wouldn't use them. I'm not planning on using any for the 100k.

I didn't realize you were doing the bandera 100k. I'm signed up for that one too. It will be my first 100k.

Also not using poles.
aggiespartan
AG
It will be my first 100k too. I'm feeling optimistic right now, but that's mostly blind stupidity.
AggieOO
Stoked for both of you!
A is A
AG
Registering today. Anyone want me to use a referral code?
aggiespartan
AG
I have one if you haven't already. Let me find it.
aggiespartan
AG
A is A said:

Registering today. Anyone want me to use a referral code?
https://runsignup.com/Race/TX/Bandera/BanderaEnduranceTrailRun?raceRefCode=9Z7fej1x
A is A
AG
I will do it tonight. Thanks spartan. Got to tonight to get the T-shirt
aggiespartan
AG
For anyone that was on the fence about running Loup Garou, it's only going to happen for 3 more years. I'll say it again - it's a great little race and I highly recommend it. I'll probably try to fit it in at least one more time.

https://edieruns.blogspot.com/
Dafstun
AG
aggiespartan said:

For anyone that was on the fence about running Loup Garou, it's only going to happen for 2 more years. I'll say it again - it's a great little race and I highly recommend it. I'll probably try to fit it in at least one more time.

https://edieruns.blogspot.com/

Agreed. It's one of only a few places I would consider returning to for another go. Very different than the central and west Texas desert and rock races.
aggiespartan
AG
nevermind, it was a person specific link
Swarely
Welp, unless there's a miracle in the next couple weeks; looks like I'm missing Bandera.

aggiespartan
AG
You've still got a month. Don't give up hope so fast.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.