Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

****2023 Trail and Ultra Running****

39,344 Views | 711 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by TRD-Ferguson
AggieOO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Guess its time to fire this thing up.

No clue what my racing/running plans are next year. After thinking I was done with this stupid injury, it came back post-covid Western States disaster and has been on and off since. I'm trying to get enough training in to get to the starting line of Black Canyons 100K. My wife is running Gorges 100K in March, so we'll be up there for that, but no other plans. There is a possible move in our future, so we aren't committing to anything else until we know the result of that. Unfortunately, I doubt we'll make it to Broken Arrow, but its still a possibility. I'm on the waiting list for BFC, so we'll see if I get my name pulled for that. My brother-in-law got in again, so I'd go run it with him if I get in. I'm also in the lottery for both the run and mountain bike at Leadville, but I doubt I get into either.

my brother-in-law is also running his first 100 miler at Angeles Crest next year, so I'll be out crewing/pacing for that.

All that said, I might be back to doctors and MRIs if i can't shake this stupid injury.
Dafstun
AG
In for 2023!

Starting it off with the Big Bend 50 in 2 weeks.
Sweep4-2
I'm not in the same class as the trail/ultra folks on this thread (I'm still very much a beginner). But I'm running the Brazos Bend (25K) and running as a pacer for a friend doing the Rocky Raccoon 100 (I'm running only 20). Also doing a number of other TROT runs later in the year.

I'm a 10K/10-Miler primarily but love the whole 'feel' of the trail events and the nice people who run them.
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
aggiespartan
AG
So far I'm looking at Red Dirt Ultra in February and Mad Moose Dead Horse Ultra 50 mile in November. I was going to do the 100k at Red Dirt, but I'm nursing a sore calf right now and I'm not sure I'll be ready for that, so I may stick with the 50k. I'll fill in some more local-ish races once my leg feels better. I'm still thinking about Strolling Jim but I'm not sure I want to do that kind of mileage on the road.

I have a friend that wants to pace me for a race for a race this year, so I need to think about what I might want to do for that. Since she's offering, I feel like I should take her up on it and find something fun.
Sponge
AG
First race will be Run Up for Air the original on Grandeur in SLC on Feb 3rd. Been getting some big names recently using it as tune up for Barkley's. I'm just doing the 6hr.
johnson2012
AG
Jumping right in this year with the 50k at Bandera next weekend. After that, tbd..

Anyone else doing Bandera? I saw they're going to try and stream the 100k.
MarathonAg12
johnson2012 said:

Jumping right in this year with the 50k at Bandera next weekend. After that, tbd..

Anyone else doing Bandera? I saw they're going to try and stream the 100k.
I have volunteered/ran Tejas Trails Bandera 50k and 100k

The weather can be absolutely unforgiving. Bring plenty changes of EVERYTHING. People were so cold coming into the aid stations and saw lots of people drop. I think it was raining off and on too.

I'm sure you know this but once you sit-down at the aid-station, it makes it a lot harder to get going when you are in a world of misery. And your whole body goes cold.

Pay attention to the weather and enjoy this race. It is a great course.
BooletPruf
AG
I'm running the Rocky Raccoon 100 in February. This will be my first 100. No crew, no pacer planned. It's going to be interesting. I am signed up for the Waxahachie 50k in May as a deferral from last year. Those are all I am signed up for right now. I will probably end up running some TROT events in the fall. I ran a few in 2022 and they were enjoyable.
K Bo
AG
Currently thinking about doing Hells Hills 50K and another bigger race (maybe 50mi) this fall. I've been talking to a few friends about doing a Ragnar relay but they don't seemed as jazzed about it as I am. In 2022 I realized how much more I love trail running than road running. I'm going to focus more or trails this year but living in Houston makes that difficult during the week.
johnson2012
AG
Thanks for the tips, that's pretty much the plan. Weather forecast has been bouncing around so I plan to have a drop bag at the first aid station and the one about mile 21 with some options to try and stay comfy & dry. I'm shooting for the 6 to 6.5 hour range so I should experience most of the days weather since we don't start until 8.
AggieOO
johnson2012 said:

Thanks for the tips, that's pretty much the plan. Weather forecast has been bouncing around so I plan to have a drop bag at the first aid station and the one about mile 21 with some options to try and stay comfy & dry. I'm shooting for the 6 to 6.5 hour range so I should experience most of the days weather since we don't start until 8.
good luck! I've run the 100K four times. its a great course. no long climbs, but some of them are super steep. be ready for the rocks and the sotol slicing you up (unless they trimmed it).
coop-aero-06
AG
Running has taken a bit of a back seat to kids and work for the past two years, but hopefully I can get into a good routine and put together a few good training blocks this year.

I'll be running the Quicksilver 100k in May, and will probably be running the Brazos Bend 100 mile in December. I was registered for Brazos last month, but decided to defer for a year due to a hamstring injury that derailed my training.
aggiespartan
AG
Anybody have a review of the Wild Canyons Ultra? Considering skipping Red Dirt in February for this one because I'm trying to get out of a slump right now.
johnson2012
AG

Bandera 100k stream for those interested
AggieOO
aggiespartan said:

Anybody have a review of the Wild Canyons Ultra? Considering skipping Red Dirt in February for this one because I'm trying to get out of a slump right now.

I've run it. Very, very little single track. Mostly 10 foot wide somewhat groomed trail. Very little flat surface,
excepttheshort part where you run through the prairie dogs. It's all up or down, Mostly rollers and short climbs. There is one really steep longer climb per loop that you'll be scrambling up. It's not runnable, as you'll be using your hands too. If it rains, the course gets super muddy. I didn't have any issues with the bison, but heard multiple people say the had to wait on the trail for the bison to move.

Overall it's a good race. Caprock is pretty. Bison and prairie dogs are cool.
AggieOO
Surprising to no one, Courtney won Bandera and set a new course record.
aggiespartan
AG
new headlamp day! I got the Fenix HM65R-T. Seems pretty bright, but I'll try it out in the morning. It even fits my small child sized head.
Sweep4-2
Shoe question for y'all, I'm running the Rocky Raccoon as a pacer (20 miles) for a friend and am uncertain about the terrain and best type of shoe. I'm new to trail running, have never gone more than 13.1 miles and have heard conflicting advice (re trail vs road shoe).

I'm currently trying to decide between my recently retired Saucony Ride 15's (400 miles), and the only trail shoes I own (Saucony Peregrine 12's with approx 150 miles on them). My other shoes are all in the Endorphin line and road-only.

I'm leaning toward the retired road shoe due to it being more comfortable and it having done fine in several of the TROT runs I've done. Thoughts on road v trail for Rocky?

AggieOO
I ran the 100 there in road shoes. It'll be fine, unless it's muddy, then I'd likely opt for a trail shoe.

Unless your friend is pretty fast, you'll be doing a lot of very slow running and walking/hiking, especially if you are pacing a later loop.
Tamuag04
AG
Like Aggie00 said, Ive seen lots of people run in road shoes - even with outsoles as smooth as the HOKA Carbon X line. However, if there is any amount of moisture in the air or on the ground, although the sand-based trails will be fine, slick tree roots can be a major hazard.
Sweep4-2
Thank y'all both for the guidance, much appreciated. I'll plan on the road shoe but will bring the trail shoes along just in case.

I was secretly hoping someone would tell me to run in a Road to trail hybrid (like the new Saucony Ride TR) so I could explain to my wife that another new pair of shoes was needed.
aggiespartan
AG
Any recommendations for an ultra up to 100k that's pretty good for spectators at the finish? Maybe a looped course so they can see/crew you a few times.

I'm having a really hard time picking races this year.
oldarmy76
Maybe cactus rose?
Tamuag04
AG
Brazos Bend with TROT is good for crews, families, etc - especially those with kids given there are tons of gators, birds, nature center, trails, playgrounds, elevated observation decks, fishing piers etc. They can crew or see you and keep themselves entertained. BB is great for PR attempts given the (lack of) elevation and smooth surfaces. Don't have to wear trail runners and can easily maintain a target pace, HR, etc.
aggiespartan
AG
Tamuag04 said:

Brazos Bend with TROT is good for crews, families, etc - especially those with kids given there are tons of gators, birds, nature center, trails, playgrounds, elevated observation decks, fishing piers etc. They can crew or see you and keep themselves entertained. BB is great for PR attempts given the (lack of) elevation and smooth surfaces. Don't have to wear trail runners and can easily maintain a target pace, HR, etc.
I was kind of shying away from BB just because it's so flat. No kids, so that's not a concern.
Tamuag04
AG
Have you looked into Hells Hills with Tejas Trails? They don't have a 100mi/k but they do have a 50mi which is a series of loops (they are redoing the course this year but last year it was 5 loops I think). Plenty of parking and open space at the start/finish/turnaround but not much shade. Interesting, varied course - anything from sinuous, rooty trails to flat meadows to pretty steep ravine descents/ascents.
MarathonAg12
Tamuag04 said:

How has TROT been since Rob left? I kind of stepped out of the scene when I left the state for Army stuff
AggieOO
MarathonAg12 said:

Tamuag04 said:

How has TROT been since Rob left? I kind of stepped out of the scene when I left the state for Army stuff
less annoying
MarathonAg12
AggieOO said:

MarathonAg12 said:

Tamuag04 said:

less annoying
He was pretty cool. Brought two crowds together.

I respect the how out of runners who want to show up and execute. But I liked TROT for getting newer people into the trail scene, physical fitness is good for everyone.

I think my biggest pet peeve in the sport is mediocre runners who think that they are Kilian Jornet when they come into aid stations and those stress ball drama queen types......haha rant over. I've ran enough races and worked enough aid stations to see a variety of runners and attitudes.

Some of my favorite ultras were in Ellerbe, North Carolina and running in the middle of nowhere on the road. VERY low frills but some of the nicest people I have ever met. Mangum Track Club
AggieOO
I was pseudo joking. I was never a fan of the guy, but it had more to do with some of the way business was conducted behind the scenes.

Most people I know who had interactions with him at races had positive things to say.
aggiespartan
AG
AggieOO said:

aggiespartan said:

I've run it. Very, very little single track. Mostly 10 foot wide somewhat groomed trail. Very little flat surface,
excepttheshort part where you run through the prairie dogs. It's all up or down, Mostly rollers and short climbs. There is one really steep longer climb per loop that you'll be scrambling up. It's not runnable, as you'll be using your hands too. If it rains, the course gets super muddy. I didn't have any issues with the bison, but heard multiple people say the had to wait on the trail for the bison to move.

Overall it's a good race. Caprock is pretty. Bison and prairie dogs are cool.
I assume the answer is yes, but can you have crew at the start/finish for the loop?
MarathonAg12
AggieOO said:

I was pseudo joking. I was never a fan of the guy, but it had more to do with some of the way business was conducted behind the scenes.

Most people I know who had interactions with him at races had positive things to say.
I'm picking up what you're putting down. I knew him very personally at the very early stages of TROT and saw and heard a lot of the transactions behind the scenes. I can see where you are coming from.

Haven't talk to him in a while. He's a businessman that's for sure.
aggiespartan
AG
Best drop bags? I was thinking about just using a big ziploc because my next race is a 50k, and I don't want to wait for the bags to be returned the next morning. The other option would be to carry everything in my vest. I don't think I'll need much except for maybe some extra snacks.
AggieOO
aggiespartan said:

Best drop bags? I was thinking about just using a big ziploc because my next race is a 50k, and I don't want to wait for the bags to be returned the next morning. The other option would be to carry everything in my vest. I don't think I'll need much except for maybe some extra snacks.

I use plastic boxes. First reason is, you have no idea how the bags are being handled some things can get crushed, nutrition leaks, etc. The second reason is because you have no idea when or where your drop bags will be placed. At a 100 miler i used plastic bags for my drops. Bags were set out very early in the morning. Aid station was way out in the woods. A raccoon tore open my bag and ate all my nutrition, so when I arrived, I had none of the things I was counting on. And it was a 4 loop course, so I essentially lost 4 drop bags.

For a 50k, I probably wouldn't even use a drop bag.
aggiespartan
AG
That's what I figured. I believe I'm going to do the 75k at Wild Canyon, but I'll have the loop there.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.