Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

****2023 Trail and Ultra Running****

39,905 Views | 711 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by TRD-Ferguson
aggiespartan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's been a lot of chatter on Facebook about it. I'm surprised badwater doesn't have spot trackers like in some of the other big races. If I were her I probably would have had a film crew follow me, but she doesn't seem that interested in that kind of thing.
AggieOO
Badwater doesn't really like film crews. Even if you get approval, they have to be very careful to not DQ a runner.
Ragoo
AG
Has anyone done the Tejas Trails Reveille Ranch? I can't make Colorado Bend but thinking about signing up for this one as my first trail race.
AggieOO
Yes, but its been a long time.
johnson2012
AG
Did the 30k last year and will likely do it again this year. Well run as most Tejas Trails events are and I like the trails there. Probably my #2 behind CO Bend for the captn Karl's courses. Plus tons of parking right next to start/finish and actual restrooms.

If I remember correctly only the 60k actually goes to the top of the granite dome. If you've never been there the trails are a great mix. Some sand, lots of granite, and lots of lightly technical single track (nothing super chunky or too loose) . The finish is fast and flat on mostly jeep road around the lake. Once you get away from start/finish you're either going up or down. Very few extended flat spots.

Course is basically a lollipop so you get some two way parts, but the trail is plenty wide in that spot for passing. West end of the lollipop has pretty solid tree cover and is ultra hot and still. Most of the rest of the course is much more open, but that maile or two near the gate aid station is the worst in terms of heat.

Definitely a fun run. If you like rocks and a bit of climbing you'll have a good time.

ETA - Not that this will happen, but if it does miraculously rain in late Aug the trails are great wet. Sand drains super fast and the granite doesn't get slick like limestone does
AggieOO
Sounds like the course is still the same from when I did it. Wasn't sure since it has been a number of years, and I know the property has made some changes out there.
johnson2012
AG
Probably is pretty much the same. The last major change I remember was when they cut the NICA route in and that was maybe 8/10 years ago. The course uses a bit of that but it mostly just parallels the original championship loop or whatever they call it now (if the original bits are still even there).

The flow trail and downhill has evolved significantly, but you don't see that on the run. They have some big jumps out there for mtb if you're so inclined.
AggieOO
I'm an XC guy on mtb, so all the downhill and jump stuff doesn't interest me. Maybe 15-20 years ago.
aggiespartan
AG
Does anyone know what flavor of Tailwind Tejas Trails usually has, or does it vary?
johnson2012
AG
This made me chuckle at myself. I can't for the life of me picture or remember any specific flavor from the last couple years. Even as recently as Pedernales a couple weeks ago.

Assuming it's flavored it can't be one of the strong/unique ones (cola/matcha). Gotta be mandarin or berry or something like that if it's not the naked flavor.

They also have Drip Drop at the Captn Karl's races this summer. There was a tropical/watermelon flavor and one other I can't think of off the top of my head last race.

If you're on Facebook they have a decently active FB group that can probably answer if you post there.
aggiespartan
AG
I'll probably play it safe and take my own hydration. I had a bad experience with lemon lime and can't do that anymore, and I can't do anything low sugar because the sugar substitutes don't work with my stomach.
AggieOO
Always better to use your own. No guarantee it's mixed the same as how you do it. Most likely it'll be mixed weaker. There are instructions for a 5 gal mix on the donated/sponsored bags, but volunteers don't always do it right, or the mix doesn't get stirred enough.
aggiespartan
AG
I was just looking at the Hardrock roster and I didn't realize Jeff Browning was 51. He killed the 125 at Cocodona. Can't wait to see how Courtney and the other WSER double people look.
aggiespartan
AG
I don't know how accurate the times are, but Hardrock has In/Out times for the aid stations. Pretty interesting to see how fast some of these people are going through. A lot of the guys went out super hard. It'll be interesting to see who can keep up.
AggieOO
So far, battle up front on the women's side. I keep checking to see when/if Courtney pulls away.

Also, great to see Paul Terranova in the top 10. He's such a great guy.
AggieOO
Courtney doing things only Courtney can do. First person to win both WS100 and Hardrock in the same year, setting course records at both. She just knocked over an hour off the CCW course record, and owns the record in both directions now. GOAT.
aggiespartan
AG
Arlen Glick is about to come in 4th male/5th overall. What he's done is pretty incredible too.
Whitehouse Road
AG
Courtney also set the combined record for Western/Hardrock with a combined time of 41:43:42.

Previous record for the double was 42:12:43 (Jeff Browning, 2016).
aggiespartan
AG
Arlen has second fastest time now, after Courtney.
AggieOO
Pam Reed is still out there. Finished WS100, ran badwater last week, and now hard rock. And she's 62. Insane.
johnson2012
AG
Tejas Trails Tailwind Update - at one of the aid stations at Muleshoe this past weekend they were using Mandarin flavor. Full bag into the jug so in theory mixed to regular strength.
aggiespartan
AG
Little less than a month away from Colorado Bend. Doing the 30k. It's not a huge race for me (which is weird to say), but I'm trying to dial in some of my logistics. Going to try some things with my nutrition, and only carrying 2 bottles. If that works out, I'll probably use the same strategy at Bandera. I've switched over to some heart rate training and really trying to focus on injury prevention. I've got races in August, October, November, and January. There's a race I'd really like to do in December, but I know that would probably be stupid.
Dafstun
AG
Looking forward to Colorado Bend. I've had some cramping issues for a few of my longer distance training runs that have put me behind schedule so I'm a bit nervous about my preparedness. That seems to be improving though lately. No major cramps now.

If anyone is running the 60k and needs a buddy from midnight to who knows when...let me know. It will be lonely out there.
oldarmy76
Where are you cramping? I was having the worst cramping a couple years ago that had me limping back for hours in the middle of long runs…Ended up being hip flexors.
Dafstun
AG
Calves and hamstrings. I'm a heavy sweater and struggle to take in enough water despite my best efforts. I had also started taking creatine. I think between those things and the high temps it created the perfect storm.
oldarmy76
That's exactly where I was cramping and it ended up being hip flexors. They are still a disaster, but I do a few stretches before I run now and has made all the difference.
johnson2012
AG
I'm a huge sweater as well. Over summer on efforts more than a couple hours I take extra salt too. I either add extra salt to my electrolyte mix, use pickle juice, or go with salt stick caps (or similar). Hammer used to have a salt cap I liked as well with some other stuff in it, but I don't recall which specific one it was.
Dafstun
AG
I've been taking an LMNT daily for a few weeks now, drink Tailwind, and will eat a few Huma electrolyte gels on longer runs. I assume that helps.
Sweep4-2
I also sweat like crazy and rely on both electrolyte drinks and Saltstick tablets, and occasionally pickle juice to keep from cramping early. But I still end up cramping and it's always in the same order (right calf, left calf, then everything else).

Been doing hot weather runs lately, because In mid-August, I'll be pacing a friend at the upcoming Habanero 100. She's doing the 100-Miler, and I'm going to likely pace the last three loops for her. I paced 40 miles for her at this year's Rocky Raccoon 100-Miler (and she finished in under the 30 hour limit, her first 100-mile race/attempt) so I'm excited to be part of her team again.

But this insanely hot weather is going to make this really rough I think.

Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
aggiespartan
AG
Habanero will be pretty rough because I think it's pretty exposed. Full sun gets me more than just the heat and humidity. They should have plenty of ice at the aid stations. Make sure you put it everywhere that can hold ice.
Sweep4-2
Yeah, I ran it last year (20K) and it was miserable. No shade, long stretches of sand, thick grass on some places, etc. it was horrible and I swore to never go back.

But when we finished Rocky 100, I bravely/naively offered to pace her 'anywhere, anytime, any distance'. Never thinking she'd aim at 100 for Habanero haha.
Consistency: It's only a virtue if you're not a screw-up.
AggieOO
i don't understand why anyone runs habanero....this coming from someone who has paced at badwater multiple times, and would consider running badwater at some point.
aggiespartan
AG
Tahoe 200 finishers are starting to come in. Claire Bannwarth 1st overall after just finishing 5th female at Hardrock.
AggieOO
i'm really not familiar with her, but she seems like she's another badass. These were her first two US races. Lots of strong runners coming out of France lately.
aggiespartan
AG
She went off course and ended up running 10 extra miles and still came in first. Looks like Sally might be 3rd female as long as nothing goes wrong here at the end.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.