Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

****2023 Trail and Ultra Running****

39,811 Views | 711 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by TRD-Ferguson
A is A
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
what happened?
Dafstun
AG
Ooof! Hope it's a quick recovery. Guess you're starting your taper a bit sooner than expected.
AggieOO
depending on what happened you might still be able to run the race. You can likely still maintain fitness on a bike, even if its stationary. Keep the legs moving while not stressing the ankle. As you heal, add some shorter runs in to keep the body use to the pounding. You might be surprised at how much you are able to maintain, especially with a good base under you.
Swarely
Was trail running in the drizzle out at Bastrop State Park. Coming down a sandy corner things went bad. Made for a nice third of a mile hike back up, followed by about a half mile hobble down the road until a Good Samaritan came by and gave me a ride to my truck.

I'm not fully counting out the race. Last time I had a sprain this bad, I bought a hardcore soft cast for the (same) ankle and waited tables. Three weeks after I climbed Kilimanjaro. It was black that time.

Currently on a steady rotation of RICE and some cbd lotion. We'll see how it shakes out.
hbc07
AG
It could always be worse. You could have dropped a crock pot on your foot...
hbc07
AG
But I do hope it's not that bad and we get to see you in January. I'm trying to pressure your cousin to come out as well.
AggieOO
Swarely said:

Was trail running in the drizzle out at Bastrop State Park. Coming down a sandy corner things went bad. Made for a nice third of a mile hike back up, followed by about a half mile hobble down the road until a Good Samaritan came by and gave me a ride to my truck.

I'm not fully counting out the race. Last time I had a sprain this bad, I bought a hardcore soft cast for the (same) ankle and waited tables. Three weeks after I climbed Kilimanjaro. It was black that time.

Currently on a steady rotation of RICE and some cbd lotion. We'll see how it shakes out.

Rub some dirt on it. You are fine. It's a good thing this isn't a road runner thread.
Swarely
His wife has a bunch of friends running it. Good luck with that.
AggieOO
AggieOO said:

Well, we are in december, so I suppose I'll post about a run/project i'm finally getting off the ground in less than 3 weeks. I've been wanting to do this for a number of years, and its finally coming together. Myself and my brother-in-law will be running across Big Bend National Park on December 18th. We are starting at Boquillas Canyon and will be running 72 miles across the park, going up and over the Chisos Mountains, finishing at Santa Elena Canyon. Below is the route we will be following:

The route only has a little over 8K of climbing but its mostly uphill for the first 35ish miles, so it'll be a long slog. The route is a mix of dirt roads, single track, and about 10 miles of pavement. We will have support from two different individuals. Big Bend is a very special place to me, and I'm really excited to take this on.
Guess I should come back and update. We did make this attempt, but had to cut it short at mile 44. I got a stomach bug that hit me early in the run. I'll spare you the details, but suffice to say, it was impossible to stay hydrated. Wasn't sure exactly what was going on, but then the bug hit my brother in law the day after the run, and then hit my other buddy the day after that. We did all the hard work (7K+ climbing) and got to enjoy only 3 miles of the 36 miles of downhilll. Still, it was a great day on the trails/dirt roads. We shot a lot of video, so we'll eventually edit something together, just have to figure out what to do with it all since things didn't go as planned. But that's ultra running, i suppose.
Dafstun
AG
I'll close this 2023 thread by reporting out my total mileage for the year. I just crossed 2,000 miles for 2023 which is a PB for me by a few hundred. Super stoked by that.
The Pilot
AG
Dafstun said:

I'll close this 2023 thread by reporting out my total mileage for the year. I just crossed 2,000 miles for 2023 which is a PB for me by a few hundred. Super stoked by that.
Congrats! Consistency helps a ton when it comes to improvement.
TRD-Ferguson
AG
Great effort by y'all!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.