Health & Fitness
Sponsored by

****2023 Trail and Ultra Running****

39,846 Views | 711 Replies | Last: 3 mo ago by TRD-Ferguson
MarathonAg12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good luck AggieOO!

aggiespartan
AG
good luck!
AggieOO
Thanks guys. I think Sunday will be harder. Wife is running the 60K. I'm going to be hobbling around and watching our 2 and 4 year olds.
MarathonAg12
AggieOO,

sip on a nice pre-made cocktail on a Sunday. It will help.
AggieOO
My brother-in-law is all about making cocktails, so I'm good to go. He's also pacing me for 25 miles, so plenty of time to discuss what will leave me feeling less than stellar at like 5a when I have to get up and drive my wife to her race.
MarathonAg12
Married into some great people. Funny enough my BIL crewed my first 50k (first ultra) many moons ago.

Enjoy!
Tamuag04
AG
Best of luck 00! Looking forward to your recap of the weekend!
aggiespartan
AG
Looks like OO's made it to 37.5 so far. Just 3 more aid stations and then the finish. Aravaipa's tracking is pretty cool. They had a live stream going but I'm not sure what happened to it.
Ragoo
AG
Aggie Ryan Miller finished 14

Retired long course triathlete Heather Jackson finished second female. She made the switch to pro trail runner and gravel bike racer this year.
AggieOO
Post more later, but finished with 9 minutes to spare to get under western states qualifying. I battled really bad nausea for a huge chunk of the race. Way longer day than I'd hoped for, but still achieved the goal.
aggiespartan
AG
Your wife is blazing through the course!
AggieOO
I figured she would. It's a fast 60k course. She's setting up to have a solid first 100k in a little over a month.
aggiespartan
AG
Now you're giving me more ideas for next year.
coop-aero-06
AG
Congrats! Way to grind it out!
aggiespartan
AG
Looks like it's going to be pleasant for. My 50k Saturday.
aggiespartan
AG
Red Dirt Ultra 50k (they also offered a 100k and 100 mile)

This race is in Provencal, LA just outside of Natchitoches. It got hot today. The high hit at least 80. I heard a couple people DNF'd from dehydration. This race was rough. It had sand, pine needles, mud puddles, shin deep water crossing, and a stretch of uphill dirt road that felt like it went on forever. Most of the trail is on ATV and horse trails. I stepped in one spot of mud and lost a shoe. Luckily someone helped me dig it out. I don't know how I got my muddy sock back in that shoe, but I did and I was off again. One of the guys I ran with for a while, fell in a puddle after he sunk knee deep in mud and caught himself with his hands and had mud up to his elbows. The group I was in also went off course and ended up going about an extra mile after it was all said and one. Even after all that, everyone stayed in good spirits. There was a full spread food at the end - rice, red beans, gumbo, and chili (both meat and vegan versions of all).

The aid stations were decent, but they weren't all manned by experienced trail runners, but it was fine. They were still helpful. Everyone was friendly and helpful. It was fun, but I think I would do the Loup Garou race again before this one. The after party was better at Red Dirt, but I liked the trail better at Loup Garou.
aggiespartan
AG
Hopefully you experienced guys can tell me some things I can do better or what I'm doing wrong.

After long runs (20+ miles), I feel sick. Not nauseous, but almost like I have a fever with chills and inability to just feel comfortable. I am eating breakfast of some sort before and drinking water. During my run, I'm drinking water, electrolytes, and fueling. I feel like my fueling during races/runs is pretty good. After my run/race, I'm usually not hungry, but I try to keep drinking water and drinking something with calories, and I will also make myself eat as much as I can right after, even though it's usually not a full meal. I'll eat a full meal a few hours later. It's usually a little after that when I start to get chills and I have trouble getting comfortable enough to get a good nights' sleep. I don't really feel like it's a water issue, because I usually have to pee multiple times after the run. It's like when I stop running my body is like ok don't need this anymore.

Any ideas how to minimize this?
AggieOO
i don't get it with 20 milers, but after ultras i always feel a bit feverish...very mild chills. usually passes after a few hours.
AggieOO
I can only hope i'm not only still alive, but in good enough shape to do what this guy is doing

trailrunnermag.com/people/the-90-year-old-man-who-still-crushes-100-milers/
AgCanuck07
AG
I registered for the Pikes Peak Marathon this morning. After moving to Colorado last year, I decided to be crazy and sign up. I've run 5 road marathons but never any races on the trails.

I'll be training at about 5000ft and have access to lots of great trails with good elevation gains. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.
The Pilot
AG
Me too. I signed up for the Triple Crown. I've done PPM x2 and PPA x2, one weekend did both together.

I'd spend as much time running/hiking on Pikes or similar. "running" above treeline is when the fun begins.
Haywood08
AG
Has anyone participated in a race put on by Texas Outlaw Running Company? Looking for my first trail race and the Fire Trail Running Festival is appealing since it's about 10 minutes from my casa!

https://www.texasoutlawrunning.com/

JimShorts
AG
Don't know where you are located, but if you want some good climbing trails you could look at Hildebrand Ranch. It is in Jefferson County open space near Chatfield Reservoir. Start there and then take, when open, the Black Bear trail into Deer Creek Canyon.

Edit for clarity
AgCanuck07
AG
Up in Fort Collins but I'll take any tips. Thanks!
aggiespartan
AG
Had a terrible run yesterday. Signed up for Wild Canyons 50k today.
Swarely
I've only done the half, but I want to do the full some day. I think they've changed the entry requirements since when I did it though.
aggiespartan
AG
Does anybody have any favorites for UPF shirts? Sunscreen doesn't last long enough for me.
aggiespartan
AG
look like Barkley is happening soon.
aggiespartan
AG

AggieOO
interesting. usually not until around the first of april.
aggiespartan
AG
Someone has already dropped, but they don't know who, why, or where yet.
AggieOO
10 runners left. They are on loop 3.
aggiespartan
AG
AggieOO said:

10 runners left. They are on loop 3.
I think it's more than that. He said 10 runners on 3 a few hours ago and at least 3 others have started loop 3 since. I haven't seen any updates on Harvey. I wonder if he dropped.
AggieOO
misread. Yes, 13 on loop three, as of about 3 minutes ago. Will be interesting to see if anyone else slides in before the next cutoff in about 90 mins.
aggiespartan
AG
15 are on loop 3. 10 are still on loop 2 and are now DNFs.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.